Home

Ok, so the North American 29 list. What have you got? A few guys have gotten them all. That's incredibly difficult obviously. How about the Super Ten?
I've got whitetail, elk and that's it! I hunt black bear every year. I'm going for pronghorn next year. Would be cool to see how many some of ya'll have.

Here's the List

Bears

Alaska Brown Bear

Black Bear

Grizzly Bear

Polar Bear

Cats

Cougar

Deer

Columbia Blacktail Deer

Coues Deer

Mule Deer

Sitka Blacktail Deer

Whitetail Deer

Elk

Rocky Mountain Elk

Roosevelt Elk

Tule Elk

Caribou

Barren Ground Caribou

Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou

Mountain Caribou

Quebec Labrador Caribou

Woodland Caribou

Moose

Alaska Yukon Moose

Canada Moose

Shiras Moose

Bison/Muskox

Bison

Muskox

Goat

American Mountain Goat

Antelope

Pronghorn Antelope

Sheep

California Bighorn Sheep

Dall Sheep

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

Stone Sheep

Auxiliary

Atlantic Walrus

Jaguar

Pacific Walrus
Canada moose.
Grizzly Bear
Black Bear
Pink Mountain Buffalo
Elk
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Vancouver Island Backtails
Mountian Goat
Stone Sheep.

Thats it hunted for a Fanning Sheep in the NWT 15 years ago but came home empty handed
Mule deer, white tail deer, prong horn, Canada moose, barren ground caribou, dall sheep, and rocky mountain elk. Also shot several black bears, but not when hunting.
Black bear
Mule deer
Whitetail deer
Rocky Mountain
Elk
Barren ground caribou
Mountain caribou
Quebec Labrador caribou
Woodland caribou
Canada moose
Shirts moose
Bison
Musk Ox
Pronghorn
Grizzly Bear
Black Bear
Elk rocky mtn
Whitetail deer
Mule deer
Antelope
Mtn lion
Mtn goat
Bighorn sheep
Shiras moose
Whitetail deer
Mule deer
Black bear
Rocky Mountian elk
Pronghorn
Mountain goat
Dall sheep
Canada moose
Alaska Yukon moose
Barren ground caribou
Q/L caribou
Whitetails
Mule deer
Antelope
Black bear
RM elk
Shiris moose
Q caribou
BG caribou
Cougar
Bighorns
Stone
You guys have really seen a lot of the country. I’m envious but if I make it to 100 I wouldn’t complete this list. Wouldn’t mind trying though, especially the sheep.

MM
Oh, I know I'll never get 'em all - actually, I have no interest in trying, which is good 'cause my wallet isn't up to the challenge!

However, it's been real interesting, hunting a few different species. I've taken:

mule deer
whitetail deer

rocky mountain elk

pronghorn antelope

black bear
grizzly

Kind of surprised the wolf isn't on that list of American big game species. Interesting. They can be very challenging.

Regards, Guy
Black Bear
Cougar
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Shiras Moose
American Mountain Goat
Pronghorn

All but the Goat and Mule deer were archery.
This broke Missouri boy has managed:
whitetail deer over 100
mule deer 5
RM elk 5
pronghorn antelope 8
black bear 3

I'm just about out of affordable species within reasonable driving distance.
Being a poor boy, I have only killed White Tails, but that is all I have hunted. In my early days, I always wanted to hunt the big Grizzlies. I still have that yearning, although physically not able to even think about it at this point. I always thought that this time of my life would be when I could make it happen financially. But when back injuries several years ago cut my career short, as well as my physical ability to go on such a hunt, my dream was shot.

I had opportunities to go on mule deer, elk, and pronghorn hunts; they just never appealed to me.
Alaskan moose
Shiras moose
Barren Ground Caribou
pronghorn
mule deer
whitetail deer
RM elk

Understandably, not on the list, but they still made me happy: javelina, feral hog, nilgai.
Plus my wife likes to be able to choose from a variety of meat when she opens our freezers!!

All of these with a 30-06 except the Wyoming Shiras moose was with a .300 Win Mag.

FjLee in Colorado
Brown bear
Black bear
Shiras Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk
Mule deer
Whitetail deer
Sitka deer
Dall sheep
Stone sheep
Mountain Goat
Pronghorn

Hoping to cross mountain lion, Desert sheep and mountain caribou off the list soon although the NA 29 is not something that I'm attempting to accomplish.

I just like to hunt different things in different places!
I grew up in Colorado and have lived most of my life (42 years) in Montana so I've had multiple hunts for all of the animals in these states. So far my list includes these animals.

* Black Bear (2) Both DIY
* Cougar
* Mule Deer (30+) All DIY
Whitetail Deer (20+) All DIY
* Elk (35) All DIY
* Barren Ground Caribou DIY
Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou (2)
Mountain Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
* Shiras Moose (2) Both DIY
Bison
* Muskox
* American Mountain Goat DIY
* Pronghorn Antelope (30+) All DIY
Dall Sheep
* Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep (3) All DIY

I also just like to hunt different animals in different places and I am not attempting to accomplish the NA 29.
Not on the NA 29 list but I have also shot a Wolverine, a Bobcat, numerous Coyotes, 3 species of Texas exotics, 5 species from New Zealand, 36 species from Africa, and a Dagestan Tur from Azerbaijan.
I have mounted at least one of each of these animals, except for a dozen or so that are at my taxidermist waiting to be mounted. I've turned my house into a museum. cry
I did register the animals marked with * with Grand Slam Club Ovis for their Super Ten, but I have not registered any other animals with either SCI or B&C.
I hope to be able to go on at least one major hunt every year for the next 10 years.

So far I have-

Brown bear
Mountain goat
Sitka blacktail
Whitetail
Alaskan moose
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Roosevelt Elk (only one)
Tule Elk (only one)
Pronghorn
Black Bear
Some of you all have allot congrats on that. And one super ten registered too. Pretty cool.

-Jake
Whitetail
Muley
Pronghorn
RM elk
Cali bighorn

I've got nine of them, with no more plans to expand the list......

Brown bear

Black bear

Whitetail deer

Mule deer

Rocky Mountain elk

Quebec Labrador Caribou

Pronghorn antelope

Dall sheep

Stone sheep
Rocky Mtn. Bighorn (CO)
Desert Bighorn (CO)
Stone Sheep (BC)
Dall Sheep (AK)
Rocky Mtn. Elk (WY, CO)
Mule Deer (WY, CO, NE)
Whitetail Deer (KS, CO, TX, NE, MT)
Shiras Moose (CO, WY)
Cougar (CO)
Black Bear (CO)
Alaska Brown Bear (AK)
Barren Ground Caribou (AK)
Pronghorn Antelope (CO, WY)

At last count, over 110 critters of these species have ended up in the freezer, or on the wall in some form or fashion. After nearly 60 years of BG hunting, nowadays it's just whitetails on the farm, for meat-still very enjoyable hunting.
Javalina, alligator, wolf, fox, coyote, not on the list?
Nice collection there Bighorn.

Congratulations on your sheep slam. I see where you got your name.
I shot a couple prairie dogs and hit a whitetail doe with a van once.
I love to hunt to feed my brood. Honestly, and this is one thing I agree with Ted Nugent on, I don't see the draw of quota quests. It is nice to whack a Trophy when it presents itself. But, I don't go paying for them intentionally.
Somebody already mentioned wolves and alligators not being on the list. One thing that's puzzled me for a long time is why aren't any seals on the list, but walruses are?

Here's another question for "listers": The borderlines between grizzlies and Alaskan brown bears is different for B&C and SCI. In 2009 I took a bear in Alaska that would be a brown bear according to B&C, even though it was over 200 miles from the nearest salt water, but would be a grizzly according to SCI. Was it both?
Brozzly? Brizzly?
Yes, it was both. Depends on what it identified as... laugh

My list:
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Sitka Blacktail
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn
Bison
Whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, Rocky Mountain elk, Canada moose, bighorn sheep.

Not listed, hog.

Rocky Mountain Elk
Mountain Goat
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Pronghorn
Alligator
Wild Boar
Black Bear
Another borderline difference between B&C and SCI is the Shiras moose.

B&C has always used the US/Canada border as the northern borderline for Shiras moose.

SCI put the northern borderline for Shiras moose somewhere in Canada so that moose from southern British Columbia and southern Alberta are scored as Shiras moose. I believe they did that because Shiras moose tags in the lower 48 are all on a very limited draw system, so many of their members couldn't just "buy" a Shiras moose for the SCI record book and various slams.
Originally Posted by buffybr
Another borderline difference between B&C and SCI is the Shiras moose.

B&C has always used the US/Canada border as the northern borderline for Shiras moose.

SCI put the northern borderline for Shiras moose somewhere in Canada so that moose from southern British Columbia and southern Alberta are scored as Shiras moose. I believe they did that because Shiras moose tags in the lower 48 are all on a very limited draw system, so many of their members couldn't just "buy" a Shiras moose for the SCI record book and various slams.

I believe the SCI boundary is the Bow River drainage in Alberta.

Rather than your SCI conspiracy theory, there is a very noted difference in size and confirmation of moose antlers between north and south of the Bow.

I agreed with this long before I became a SCI member. The 49th parrael is just a line drawn on a map and has no basis in the differences in the moose or moose habitat.
I'm working on it.....So far I have killed a pile of whitetails. so that's 1......only 28 to go. I figure it will stay that way.

Big congratulations to you hunters who are chasing the dream. It is an amazing accomplishment in the world of hunting.

I'll never see you all on the pinnacle, but I will revel in your success.
There's 30 critters on that list, not including the auxiliary. I do believe it is the Cali Bighorn, which is a desert subspecies of Rocky Mountain bighorn that isn't part of the North American 29.

Anyhow, I have a grand total of 8.
Somehow I've managed to hunt 15 successfully on that list. Have to say, I'm no fan of lists, slams, etc. I just like to explore different country and hunt a variety of critters as the opportunities present themselves.

RM elk
Whitetail
Mule deer
Coues deer
Sitka blacktail
Dall sheep
Desert Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Pronghorn
AK moose
Shiras moose
Mountain Goat
Black bear
Muskox
Mountain lion
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There's 30 critters on that list, not including the auxiliary. I do believe it is the Cali Bighorn, which is a desert subspecies of Rocky Mountain bighorn that isn't part of the North American 29.

The Rocky Mountain, California, and Desert Bighorns are all sub species of Ovis Canadensis. Grand Slam Club/Ovis will accept either a Rocky Mountain or a California Bighorn for that subspecies on their list.

T_Inman, what are your 8 critters?
Blacktail
Whitetail
Mule deer
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Antelope
Eastern Turkey
Merriams Turkey
Black bear
Coues Deer

Pretty much all I have ever hunted... Never wanted to hunt much else...
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.
Originally Posted by comerade
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.

Unfortunately there are people like that and they have the audacity of calling themselves hunters.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The borderlines between grizzlies and Alaskan brown bears is different for B&C and SCI. In 2009 I took a bear in Alaska that would be a brown bear according to B&C, even though it was over 200 miles from the nearest salt water, but would be a grizzly according to SCI. Was it both?

Same here....I shot mine 200 miles north of Dillingham, but still considered a BB.
Just curious , is it still legal to hunt Jaguar anywhere???????

Unfortunately there are people like that and they have the audacity of calling themselves hunters.

Having worked in a couple of camps, I would say the percentage of these " Hunters" is rare around here. But they exist. I would not call these so much hunters as I would call them shooters. They rarely have input on strategy , unless it is too difficult, and fully expect the guides to "Do their Job!!!" Not my idea of great camp mates usually either.............

The Rocky Mountain, California, and Desert Bighorns are all sub species of Ovis Canadensis. Grand Slam Club/Ovis will accept either a Rocky Mountain or a California Bighorn for that subspecies on their list.

T_Inman, what are your 8 critters?

You're right...I shouldn't have said "sub-species" as that indicates scientific and genetic reasoning...I probably should have clarified that big game scoring organizations separate the Desert Bighorn from the Rocky Mountain bighorn....but they consider the Cali Bighorn the same as a Rocky Mountain Bighorn.

Anyhow I have taken:

Rocky Mountain elk
Mule deer
Whitetail deer
Pronghorn
Shiras moose
Barren Ground Caribou
Black bear
Cougar

I have killed wolf too, but it isn't on the NA29.
Like Buzz, I am not too concerned with slams and "lists"...I just like chasing critters and seeing new country.

I got lots of points in several states for bighorns and goats...plus I keep putting my name in NM and ID's sheep hat, but no luck. One of these days.
Did you steal some of Mark's lucky mojo in Alaska? He seems to have drawing luck as good as anyone.
Hell no. I have never seen anyone with the draw luck that guy has. He pisses me offlaugh...

I put in for everything in WY, MT, NM and AK as well as the ID sheep and Maine moose draw. These are the states that either have no point system or you don't need to buy a full license to buy/accumulate points. I quit AZ and NV and never bothered with OR, WA and UT (I need to look into VT and NH)...as I would rather put the money for licenses and point fees towards overseas hunts.

edited: MT is expensive ($70) for their moose, goat and sheep draws...though $20 of that buys you your bonus point...but there's no "point only option" so if you want your bonus point you have to pay the $50 app fee too. No big deal to me really, but it does get confusing trying to keep all the state's systems straight in your head, plus I am in too deep with Montana's system to stop now..

It's all good...I'll happily take my general tags and keep on marching....
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Having worked in a couple of camps, I would say the percentage of these " Hunters" is rare around here. But they exist. I would not call these so much hunters as I would call them shooters. They rarely have input on strategy , unless it is too difficult, and fully expect the guides to "Do their Job!!!" Not my idea of great camp mates usually either.............
Yeah, these type of people are rare but I have seen a few while working for different outfitters. I cannot believe they are not giddy, thrilled to hunt under these conditions.I Don't believe folks like this even look at the mountain peaks. I was raised in them and often look at them in disbelief they are so awesome!
The ones that really get me are the ones that invite themselves to go with you...then are late, grumpy, bitch about hiking so far, slow you down and end up killing a good critter when you didn't (which really isn't a big deal)....then they act like: "I had to get up at 4 in the morning for that?"

I've had this happen a few times, and to this day I still have not killed a critter that was as big as the one they got...one was a 10" tom turkey and one was an awesome whitetail buck with 3 drop tines.

Yeah, these type of people are rare but I have seen a few while working for different outfitters. I cannot believe they are not giddy, thrilled to hunt under these conditions.I Don't believe folks like this even look at the mountain peaks. I was raised in them and often look at them in disbelief they are so awesome!

What I admire most about some of the more successful posters here is that their thrill to hunt is actually that. They don't all punch the tag every time but they still enjoy what they do.

I enjoy ambling through game country and carrying a rifle. Don't make a lick to me if it's a squirrel timber or pronghorn prairie. I am grateful that my dad and uncles found the time to get me into situations where I learned to love the hunt.
Oh, and

Whitetail
mule deer
pronghorn
&
black bear
and 1 cow elk when I was 14
Just curious , is it still legal to hunt Jaguar anywhere???????

I don't believe that it is legal to kill a Jaguar anywhere. And if you did, the USFWS would not allow you to import it into the States. There may be countries that would allow you to dart a Jaguar "for scientific purposes" like Jim Shockey did on one of his shows.

I also just use the SCI and GSC/O lists to learn what animals are available because I like to hunt new animals and new areas.

I ran into a couple of "list" guys on a couple of my African hunts.

The first guy came with his PH (guide) to the concession that I was hunting so he could shoot an Eland. I talked to him after he shot his Eland, and he told me that he had become very successful in his business
and although he had not done very much hunting at home, his new found friends from his business told him he should go on an African hunt and gave him a list of animals that he should shoot. He said that he didn't have any idea what any of the animals were, and after he shot the Eland he was anxious to get on to the next animal on his list.

The other guy was a retired airline pilot who was big into the SCI slams. He was with the other guide on the concession that I was hunting. I would see and talk to this hunter at and after dinners. He was after one or two small African cats and a Hyena that he "needed" for one or more SCI slams. He "had" to get them on that hunt so that he could register them in time for the awards at the next SCI convention. He left that camp several days before I did, and in talking with his guide afterward, his guide just laughed and told me that this guy only cared about shooting these animals for his slams. The guide told me that when they found some Hyenas, the guy was so obsessed in just killing a Hyena that he didn't wait for the old male and just quickly shot the first one that came into the clear.

I was at a sport show last winter in Las Vegas where that guide had a booth. Even though he had not been my guide, and it had been 10 years since I had hunted at his concession, he saw me before I got to his booth and he came out to greet me and acted like we were long lost best friends.
Originally Posted by johnw

What I admire most about some of the more successful posters here is that their thrill to hunt is actually that. They don't all punch the tag every time but they still enjoy what they do.

I enjoy ambling through game country and carrying a rifle. Don't make a lick to me if it's a squirrel timber or pronghorn prairie. I am grateful that my dad and uncles found the time to get me into situations where I learned to love the hunt.

I had a lot of fun so far elk hunting this year, seen plenty of elk, had Way too close encounters with moose. Hunted new areas, Dragged out and packed elk, even put down a sick cow elk..... But have no meat to show for it. And I am satisfied.
Hell no. I have never seen anyone with the draw luck that guy has. He pisses me offlaugh...

I put in for everything in WY, MT, NM and AK as well as the ID sheep and Maine moose draw. These are the states that either have no point system or you don't need to buy a full license to buy/accumulate points. I quit AZ and NV and never bothered with OR, WA and UT (I need to look into VT and NH)...as I would rather put the money for licenses and point fees towards overseas hunts.

edited: MT is expensive ($70) for their moose, goat and sheep draws...though $20 of that buys you your bonus point...but there's no "point only option" so if you want your bonus point you have to pay the $50 app fee too. No big deal to me really, but it does get confusing trying to keep all the state's systems straight in your head, plus I am in too deep with Montana's system to stop now..

It's all good...I'll happily take my general tags and keep on marching....
Living where you do, you do as well on general tags as I do on permits! laugh He does have a good knack for drawing tags.

Might want to reconsider putting in for UT. It's $65 for the license, but you can make that stretch for 2 years. If I draw pronghorn in WY next year, I might come a few days early and see if my dog can find a sage grouse. I'll trade sage grouse tips for beers! laugh
You got it...I killed 16 sage grouse this last year...which means I had to eat 16 sage grousefrown Easily got my limit every time I went out.
I like eating them! Kinda like beef liver. laugh
white tailed deer
mule deer
antelope
that's all folks
This list has all the stuff that Jack O’Connor or Warren Page would have hunted, but it really needs to be updated. For starters I’d add javelina, all of the wolf and fox sub-species, alligator, and coyote. Even though they’re not native, I’d also add feral hog, Axis deer, fallow deer, mouflon, aoudad, blackbuck, and nilgai because enough of them are running around loose that you can honestly expect a shot at one if you hunt the Southwest, even without visiting a game farm. And if we use that as a criteria, then we can add feral goats, sheep, and donkeys because you can shoot as many of them as you want in Hawaii.

Also, if we’re going to list walrus and jaguar, then let's include sea lions, 20-30 varieties of seals, and a bunch of other endangered and/or protected species, which will make this list completely irrelevant instead of just partly irrelevant.

That said, I’m not willing to stoop to armadillo—I have to draw the line someplace.

Okie John

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...
I really don't need to measure my dick against anyone else.
Originally Posted by las

Interpreted this means you suck as a hunter?
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...

You are tremendously luckier than I am in the draws.

I'll agree that you can hunt Mule and Whitetail deer, Elk, Mountain Lion, and Black bear every year. I think your second deer has to be a Whitetail doe. Antelope licenses have been reduced so it isn't a guaranteed draw every year any more. There are still a few "unlimited areas" for Bighorn sheep, but now if you buy a tag you have a 7 year wait before you can buy another. Moose, Goat, and Buffalo are also on a very low odds draw with Moose and Goat also on a 7 year wait after you draw a tag. You can buy a Buffalo hunt every year on Turner's ranch (which I did one year).

I've applied every year for almost 40 years for Montana Sheep, Moose, and Goat tags and every year that they have offered Buffalo tags. I also have the maximum number of "bonus points" for each species. I drew my last Goat license in 1978, my last Bighorn ram license in 1983, and my last Moose license in 1988. Back then they didn't have the 7 year wait restriction if you drew a tag. I am still waiting for my first Buffalo license.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by las

And you suck hunters.

You are tremendously luckier than I am in the draws.

I'll agree that you can hunt Mule and Whitetail deer, Elk, Mountain Lion, and Black bear every year. I think your second deer has to be a Whitetail doe. Antelope licenses have been reduced so it isn't a guaranteed draw every year any more. There are still a few "unlimited areas" for Bighorn sheep, but now if you buy a tag you have a 7 year wait before you can buy another. Moose, Goat, and Buffalo are also on a very low odds draw with Moose and Goat also on a 7 year wait after you draw a tag. You can buy a Buffalo hunt every year on Turner's ranch (which I did one year).

I've applied every year for almost 40 years for Montana Sheep, Moose, and Goat tags and every year that they have offered Buffalo tags. I also have the maximum number of "bonus points" for each species. I drew my last Goat license in 1978, my last Bighorn ram license in 1983, and my last Moose license in 1988. Back then they didn't have the 7 year wait restriction if you drew a tag. I am still waiting for my first Buffalo license.

I can't tell if you are bragging or complaining...

...I can't tell if you are bragging or complaining...

Lets see, 39 consecutive years of applying for a Goat license without drawing,,,I must be bragging!

I was just curious as to what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana??

Lets see, 39 consecutive years of applying for a Goat license without drawing,,,I must be bragging!

I was just curious as to what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana??

Wow, you are easily disappointed. I guess you could try Colorado or Wyoming...
Elk
Mule deer
White tail
Cougar
Black bear
Bison

No, those states have priced themselves above my tax bracket, although I did find a deal and went back to Colorado a couple of years ago to fill my lion tag.

And I'm still waiting to hear what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana when I have maximum bonus points and I have waited for 29 to 39 years without drawing tags for several of them.

No, those states have priced themselves above my tax bracket, although I did find a deal and went back to Colorado a couple of years ago to fill my lion tag.

And I'm still waiting to hear what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana when I have maximum bonus points and I have waited for 29 to 39 years without drawing tags for several of them.

Actually I thought you were better than this. I love Montana and if you are really complaining, there are tons of highways leading out to somewhere else.

Here is what I said.

Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by las

Seems so lately! smile

OK, I'll play nice.

caribou (about 75)
moose (20+)
several Dall sheep
several black bear

1 each (so far)
mountain goat,
elk,
mule deer,
whitetail
wolf

Yes we are very fortunate to have 10 (WT Deer, M Deer, RM Elk, B Bear, Mtn Lion, Mtn Goat, BH Sheep, S Moose, Buffalo, and Antelope) of the North American 29 Big Game animals here in Montana. If these are the "Big Ten" that you have killed, then Congratulations.

Licenses for the first 5 animals that I listed and archery Antelope in some units are available every year. You can also buy a bighorn Sheep license in one of the 5 unlimited units, but if you kill a ram you have to wait 7 years before you can apply for another tag. The odds of drawing a Goat, Moose, or Buffalo tag are very low, and if you do draw a Goat or Moose tag, you have to wait 7 years before you can apply again.

So realistically you can hunt 6 of the 10 Montana big game animals every year. That's almost doing it every year. laugh

Yes we are very fortunate to have 10 (WT Deer, M Deer, RM Elk, B Bear, Mtn Lion, Mtn Goat, BH Sheep, S Moose, Buffalo, and Antelope) of the North American 29 Big Game animals here in Montana. If these are the "Big Ten" that you have killed, then Congratulations.

Licenses for the first 5 animals that I listed and archery Antelope in some units are available every year. You can also buy a bighorn Sheep license in one of the 5 unlimited units, but if you kill a ram you have to wait 7 years before you can apply for another tag. The odds of drawing a Goat, Moose, or Buffalo tag are very low, and if you do draw a Goat or Moose tag, you have to wait 7 years before you can apply again.

So realistically you can hunt 6 of the 10 Montana big game animals every year. That's almost doing it every year. laugh

Buffalo wasn't included in the 10, Grizzly bear was, and I do have both...
Out of the list, the below are the ones I've not seen in the wild

Tule Elk

Quebec Labrador Caribou

Woodland Caribou

California Bighorn Sheep

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Stone Sheep

Atlantic Walrus

Jaguar

Buffalo wasn't included in the 10, Grizzly bear was, and I do have both...

I think I see what you've done here, but man...that sure was a round about way of doing business. I guess a guy could add woodland caribou despite there being no season...since the Idaho herd occasionally crosses (or at least did) from the Selkirks into extreme NW Montana.

Congrats on those critters and glad to see you posting again! I've got max points for goat and sheep, with no tag in sight...

I've hunted critters in New Zealand, Argentina and Africa, and sometimes wonder if I should have put that money towards a dall or stone sheep hunt instead...decisions, decisions...
Before they classified the Grizzly as endangered, I used to buy a tag every year. I really didn't know how to hunt them but I just hoped that I would find one on one of my elk gut piles like one of the guys that I worked with did. Back then I didn't know what a good thing we had. And just like the unlimited Bighorn sheep tags, I'd buy one every year and go look for one opening weekend. If I saw one fine, if I didn't fine. One year I even passed up a legal ram at twenty yards because I had killed a full curl ram the year before. I went back and killed that ram the following year, and that was the last year that unit was unlimited. All of the Grizzly bears that I have seen in Montana were either out of the hunting season or were after they quit selling tags for them.

I wouldn't add Woodland caribou to the list because as far as I know (since 1975) there has never been a huntable number of them in Montana.

However Wolves are now a game animal in Montana, with a season, quotas, and tags (I have one in my pocket), and they are a formidable animal to hunt.
Wolves are a worthy trophy no doubt...anywhere-let alone in the lower 48. I killed one during the first season in Montana in 2009, easily could have killed another in 2010 (when there was no season), possibly could have got within range of some in 2012 and 2014 but I didn't have a tag those years, blew my chance at one in 2015 and easily could have killed one while turkey hunting just last spring...all in the Bitterroot, with only two chances at elk during that same time period.

Personally, I think wolves are easier to kill than elk on public land/general tags, though I know LOTS of people will disagree with me.

Elk straight up give me fits for some reason, more than any other animal.

My list. All taken in Oregon.

Black Bear
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
California Bighorn Sheep
Brown Bear
Black Bear
Whitetail Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Alaska-Yukon Moose
Mountain Goat

All DIY with the aught six 😀, hope to go pronghorn hunting next fall but first need to get some venison in the freezer for this year! Aint life grand
Whitetail deer
I've got mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear, rocky mtn elk, pronghorn antelope, shiras moose, mountain goat, and cougar. Hoping for a bison and bighorn sheep at some point and doubt I'll get any farther along the list than that. Too bad they don't count turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, white turkey hunting in eastern MT I was viewing some of the old native american petroglyphs. Looks like some folks found the need to deface the area with their own drawings. The Forest Service has since put up a sign up asking other people to not vandalize.

Attached picture art1.JPG
Attached picture art2.JPG
Attached picture art3.JPG
Attached picture art4.JPG
Attached picture art5.JPG
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I've got mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear, rocky mtn elk, pronghorn antelope, shiras moose, mountain goat, and cougar. Hoping for a bison and bighorn sheep at some point and doubt I'll get any farther along the list than that. Too bad they don't count turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, white turkey hunting in eastern MT I was viewing some of the old native american petroglyphs. Looks like some folks found the need to deface the area with their own drawings. The Forest Service has since put up a sign up asking other people to not vandalize.

I think your hunting accomplishments are already on a whole 'nother level.

Similar vandalism occurred to the petroglyphs at Newspaper Rock, UT. Sad.
I'm light a couple on the list.
I trust this one is a joke...

[Linked Image]

I know the BLM and FS don't advertise a lot of their rock art sites, to prevent vandalism. Same thing with some of the rare animals such as Midget Faded Rattlesnake dens. People either vandalize or remove them (yes, remove rock art by cutting slates out of the rocks) to sell or collect. The rare reptile market is bigger than many think, and the indian artifact black market is HUGE..
Lists like that are fine for other people. I've got three on the list and will probably never get more. Nor do I have any particular desire to do so. Elk, mulies and antelope suit me fine.

Black Bear

Coues Deer

Mule Deer

Whitetail Deer

Rocky Mountain Elk

Barren Ground Caribou

American Mountain Goat

Pronghorn Antelope

I trust this one is a joke...

[Linked Image]

I know the BLM and FS don't advertise a lot of their rock art sites, to prevent vandalism. Same thing with some of the rare animals such as Midget Faded Rattlesnake dens. People either vandalize or remove them (yes, remove rock art by cutting slates out of the rocks) to sell or collect. The rare reptile market is bigger than many think, and the indian artifact black market is HUGE..

It's not a joke - they are all on the Custer National Forest in eastern MT. Another name there as well, "Jesse."
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Ok, so the North American 29 list. What have you got? A few guys have gotten them all. That's incredibly difficult obviously. How about the Super Ten?
I've got whitetail, elk and that's it! I hunt black bear every year. I'm going for pronghorn next year. Would be cool to see how many some of ya'll have.

Here's the List

Bears

Alaska Brown Bear

Black Bear

Grizzly Bear

Polar Bear

Cats

Cougar

Deer

Columbia Blacktail Deer

Coues Deer

Mule Deer

Sitka Blacktail Deer

Whitetail Deer

Elk

Rocky Mountain Elk

Roosevelt Elk

Tule Elk

Caribou

Barren Ground Caribou

Mountain Caribou

Quebec Labrador Caribou

Woodland Caribou

Moose

Alaska Yukon Moose

Canada Moose

Shiras Moose

Bison/Muskox

Bison

Muskox

Goat

American Mountain Goat

Antelope

Pronghorn Antelope

Sheep

California Bighorn Sheep

Dall Sheep

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Stone Sheep

Auxiliary

Atlantic Walrus

Jaguar

Pacific Walrus

Your list is biased. Bagged a croc down in the Fl. Keys years ago. Screwed up my front end alignment something fierce. Nailed a few sharks with a spear gun too, nothing big actually, about 10-11' at most. Powerheads are for puzzies.

Lizard lives matter.
Doctors in the grey suit, not so much.
The whole list thing cracks me up, but if that is your thing, then good for you as we all have our perspective and I respect that (up to the point someone begins to be an azz hat). In my mind it does not represent how good of a woodsman, hunter, shooter, or outdoorsman you are nor does it truly represent your passion for being outdoors or sharing the experience with others. I'm reminded of this every time I happen to turn on a hunting show or read about some 'outdoor celebrity' who more than likely fits that azzhat category.

I've been fortunately to take a few different species, partially because I've gotten lucky with a few draws, and partially because I've been lucky enough to live in AK and the West.

Whitetail deer
Mule deer
Black bear
Brown bear
Barren ground caribou
Alaskan moose
Dall sheep
Desert Bighorn sheep
Rocky Mountain goat
Rocky Mountain Elk
Antelope

Oh, a couple more:
Bison
Sitka blacktail deer
I have been very fortunate to have successfully hunted 15 of the NA 29. Those include

Whitetail Deer
Coues Deer
Mule deer
Columbia Blacktail
Sitka Blacktail
Shiras Moose
Canada Moose
Mountain goat
Mountain lion
Woodland Caribou
Black Bear
Pronghorn