Home
Posted By: BigFin Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/23/17
My son was lucky and burned 15 points to draw a Shiras moose tag in Montana this year.

He has more patience than his old man. I would have been done on this day.

Day 1:
As usual, great footage. Can't wait to see the finale.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/23/17
Awesome footage. Always look forward to seeing your hunts.
Posted By: SKane Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/23/17
That was cool - thanks for bringing us along.

Lookin' forward to Day 2. blush
Posted By: BigFin Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/23/17
Day 2:
Thank you for sharing.
That’s so awesome to share a OIL hunt like that with your son! I really enjoyed your podcast that covered this hunt. It’s nice to have a visual to go along with the long version
BigFin: Randy that was just an amazing Hunt and a wonderful trophy your son Mathew harvested!
Good for both of you and thank you for sharing that beautifully filmed video with us.
I spend a lot of time in that very valley every year fishing for Cutthroat Trout, Grayling and even caught a Burbot (freshwater Ling Cod) a couple miles west of your Hunt location.
That valley IS one of the most beautiful in all of Montana (the world in fact!) and I never tire of going there.
I have Hunted Elk there abouts, Coyote, Wolves and even taken several Rock Chucks from that valley.
Not far from your viewing spot we were enjoying the view two years ago when we started seeing Moose and when we moved on there were five mature Bulls in view at once.
Mathew did well drawing that tag!
I think I am up to 18 bonus points for Moose now and hope to be drawn once before I cross the great divide.
I have been along on MANY Moose Hunts here in Montana and as far as numbers of animals seen, beauty of surroundings and quality of the Bull harvested Mathews Hunt is simply tops!
By the way I have also seen Grizzlies in that valley and watched them chase Elk there as well.
A friend of mine trapped a Wolverine at the base of the mountain right behind (to the south) where you parked your truck and spotted from.
We see Wolverine tracks from time to time in that end of the valley.
In early summer when the willows are well leafed out as we travel up and down the creeks fishing that you crossed we often will get right up on Moose that are bedded in the shade - quite startling when a big Bull appears right in front of you!
You are right on when you say it is "self evident" why you (and I!) live in Montana.
A person only lives ONCE!
Thank you so much for sharing the video - thats the best thing I have see on the fire in a LONG time!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'll 2nd. that!!
Posted By: BigFin Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/24/17
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
BigFin: Randy that was just an amazing Hunt and a wonderful trophy your son Mathew harvested!
Good for both of you and thank you for sharing that beautifully filmed video with us.
I spend a lot of time in that very valley every year fishing for Cutthroat Trout, Grayling and even caught a Burbot (freshwater Ling Cod) a couple miles west of your Hunt location.
That valley IS one of the most beautiful in all of Montana (the world in fact!) and I never tire of going there.
I have Hunted Elk there abouts, Coyote, Wolves and even taken several Rock Chucks from that valley.
Not far from your viewing spot we were enjoying the view two years ago when we started seeing Moose and when we moved on there were five mature Bulls in view at once.
Mathew did well drawing that tag!
I think I am up to 18 bonus points for Moose now and hope to be drawn once before I cross the great divide.
I have been along on MANY Moose Hunts here in Montana and as far as numbers of animals seen, beauty of surroundings and quality of the Bull harvested Mathews Hunt is simply tops!
By the way I have also seen Grizzlies in that valley and watched them chase Elk there as well.
A friend of mine trapped a Wolverine at the base of the mountain right behind (to the south) where you parked your truck and spotted from.
We see Wolverine tracks from time to time in that end of the valley.
In early summer when the willows are well leafed out as we travel up and down the creeks fishing that you crossed we often will get right up on Moose that are bedded in the shade - quite startling when a big Bull appears right in front of you!
You are right on when you say it is "self evident" why you (and I!) live in Montana.
A person only lives ONCE!
Thank you so much for sharing the video - thats the best thing I have see on the fire in a LONG time!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks, VG. That is a special place. Plenty of grizz around there, which is why all were carrying bear spray. We could have shot whitetails, elk, ducks, sage grouse, and our camera guy did shoot an antelope (for another day). But for this trip, it was all Alces. And, I couldn't find a better place or tag to spend a hunt with my son.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, also.
Posted By: efw Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/24/17
Happy thanksgiving Randy I heard your podcast on this when it came out so I looked for your skeptical response to their claim of a bull that cracked me up!

My son wore my Leupold hat to school the other day and when I asked where it was he responded something like, “Oh dad don’t worry I didn’t lose yer Newberg fanboy hat!” Kinda cracked me up...

Fantastic OIL hunt right there love those father/son adventures thanks for sharing nice work as always!
Posted By: GuyM Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/24/17
Randy - thanks for that wonderful video. Watched it after my post-turkey nap on Thanksgiving Day. I hope to someday hunt Shiras with my son.

Loved the father-son banter, and the LACK of all that whooping and hollering stuff that I see on so many hunting videos. You two showed a quiet appreciation for the success of the hunt, and respect for that magnificent bull.

Also looked like the meat came out first, then the antlers & skull. I like that a lot.

Congrats to both of you, on a mighty fine father-son hunt.

Regards, Guy
Don't know much about judging moose antlers,but that is a dang nice bull there!

Congrats to your son!
Yeah, that's really special hunting with your children.
Congratulations to you and your son..
Count your blessings!

Looks like you all had a good day.
Posted By: GregW Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 11/24/17
Hell yes Randy!
I watched the videos (parts 1 and 2) last night. Nicely done! I like the kid's patience.
Posted By: GRF Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 12/03/17
As always first class videos

thanks for sharing them with the 'fire
Posted By: CRS Re: Montana Shiras Moose Video - 12/03/17
Fantastic experience, thank you for sharing.
That was fantastic to watch. Thank you for sharing an adventure in beautiful country. Congratulations to Matthew on a very nice Shiras moose.

Rob
Those photos of packing the moose made me realize why 1 moose is enough for me. Them suckers are big & heavy. Nice bull, Conglads. Bob
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Those photos of packing the moose made me realize why 1 moose is enough for me. Them suckers are big & heavy. Nice bull, Conglads. Bob

Yup. I enjoyed the whole thing, but I think the pack-out footage was the most impressive. Them kids sure can make it look easy!

Congrats on an excellent hunt & experience.

Also - what model of Howa was the lad using? I recall the chambering, but not the specific model.

FC
Loved the videos! Great time with a son. First of your videos I've seen. Well done! I can't stand most hunting videos so it is fun to find such good stuff.
© 24hourcampfire