Home
Posted By: Otter6 Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/13/18
Seems like a good off season topic. Anyone waylaid any big critters,small critters,fast critters or slow critters with these bullets? Pics if you got em!
Dang, wish I could post pics:

Kudu, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Gemsbok, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Impala, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Duiker, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Steinbok, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Black Russian Hog, Tennessee, 215 gr Woodleigh

Numerous deer and pigs in Oklahoma and Arkansas:

500 gr Woodleigh, 458 WM
320 gr Woodleigh, 9.3x62mm
215 gr Woodleigh, 303 British
200 gr Woodleigh 30-06

All animals were hit right and died very quick, expansion and weight retention on the one or two recovered has been textbook perfect, Woodleighs are some damn fine hunting bullets and among my favorites.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/13/18
I have shot a few deer and hogs with them in my .350 Rem mag. Bought a number of boxes years ago cheap. Very accurate bullets and great penetration. Never recovered one. Still have a box or 2 but don't load them any longer.
gunner, you the poster child for Woodleigh??

Pick out a few, email them to me and I'll post. Get wifey to shoot some good ones.

DF
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by Otter6
Seems like a good off season topic. Anyone waylaid any big critters,small critters,fast critters or slow critters with these bullets? Pics if you got em!

Nice, was waiting for this thread. Thanks.
No pics,but did kill a few jackrabbits with a 410 grain Woodleigh from a .416 Rigby.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
No pics,but did kill a few jackrabbits with a 410 grain Woodleigh from a .416 Rigby.

Dat wabbit didn’t stop da Woodleigh?

DF
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
Ill tell you what. I wouldn't want to be a jackrabbit around Ken. I only ever shot one,with a 22/250. Yawn.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang, wish I could post pics:

Kudu, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Gemsbok, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Impala, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Duiker, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Steinbok, Africa, 400 gr Woodleigh
Black Russian Hog, Tennessee, 215 gr Woodleigh

Numerous deer and pigs in Oklahoma and Arkansas:

500 gr Woodleigh, 458 WM
320 gr Woodleigh, 9.3x62mm
215 gr Woodleigh, 303 British
200 gr Woodleigh 30-06

All animals were hit right and died very quick, expansion and weight retention on the one or two recovered has been textbook perfect, Woodleighs are some damn fine hunting bullets and among my favorites.

Ok. We gotta get him some help with the pics. Holy crap! Rocking the Woodleighs! email a couple pics to [email protected]. Ill see about getting them up.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Dat wabbit didn’t stop da Woodleigh?

DF

Nope. wink
Ill tell you what. I wouldn't want to be a jackrabbit around Ken. I only ever shot one,with a 22/250. Yawn.

Done that too. If you want to see fur fly,a .340 Wby with a 250 grain Nosler Partition @ 2900 fps will do it.
Posted By: mart Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
This caribou fell to a .411, 400 grain Woodleigh from my 400 Whelen at 250 yards. My wife made the shot with my coaching. The rifle was still in the white at the time. That bullet is definitely adequate for caribou.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
Love their round nose weldcores for 9.3 and .375 . Haven't killed a darn thing with one yet though
Cape buffalo with 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore Used my 1895 .405 WCF.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by crshelton
Cape buffalo with 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore Used my 1895 .405 WCF.
[Linked Image]

That’s awesome!
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
I’ve got some .264 and .277 Woodleigh bullets that I’ve been wanting to try out some time.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
I plan to give the 225 gr Woodleigh RN a try this spring on black bear with my newly acquired 358 Win, got some loaded up but not going to get a chance to shoot them until all this snow stops frown Been wanting to try Woodleigh bullets on game for a long time now. Plan on trying the 174 gr in 303 and maybe even the 160 gr in our 260 and 6.5x55.
I wish we had something more robust than deer here to try them on. I do have 3 Colorado elk points to do something with.....

Pick out a few, email them to me and I'll post. Get wifey to shoot some good ones.

DF

LOL, heck no DF, but I wish I was, betting they'll be some African or Oz hunters show up here in a bit with some great photos and stories, Wifey is sitting with her mom at the hospital today, she'll be in tonight, I'll see if she can send you some pics for posting to your e-mail, and many Thanks. smile
Originally Posted by mart
This caribou fell to a .411, 400 grain Woodleigh from my 400 Whelen at 250 yards. My wife made the shot with my coaching. The rifle was still in the white at the time. That bullet is definitely adequate for caribou.

[Linked Image]

That'll work Mart, nice shooting to your wife, bet that Caribou folded like a cheap lawn chair when it caught that Woodleigh.
LOL, helps on the way Otter, Thanks.

Nice buffalo CRShelton, Congrats!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/14/18
Great pictures folks!

I hope to be able to put up some pictures this Fall though. The 175 Woodleigh seems like a good one in the Mashburn.
Can't upload pics from here but I took 2 cape buff, an eland, warthog and 2 impalas with my Heym 450/400 open sights using the 400 grain Woodleigh. One impala was shot at 173 paces and the warthog was right between the eyes at last light because that's all I could see. The 400 Woodleigh is a beast and my buddy just finished loading some for me for our trip to Zambia this fall for buff and roan.
Well,I have some .277 in a shopping cart I should order. Shalaylee a couple whitetails with them.
Posted By: mart Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/15/18

[Linked Image]

That'll work Mart, nice shooting to your wife, bet that Caribou folded like a cheap lawn chair when it caught that Woodleigh.

That caribou looked like someone jerked the tundra out from under it. It went down decisively.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/15/18
Only a whitetail doe with the 215gr .303 British.

[Linked Image]
I don't know about waylaid animals, but they will really waylay your wallet!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/15/18
Nice British. I use to load for one years ago. A co-worker had one sporterized quite nicely. Fun round to work with.

DF

LOL, heck no DF, but I wish I was, betting they'll be some African or Oz hunters show up here in a bit with some great photos and stories, Wifey is sitting with her mom at the hospital today, she'll be in tonight, I'll see if she can send you some pics for posting to your e-mail, and many Thanks. smile

I lied DF, got my plans changed yesterday evening, damn near forgot about valentines day date night out. blush laugh

Promise to get some pics this weekend.
Originally Posted by reivertom

Compared to the cost of a hunt, they're good insurance. smile

Speaking of Woodleighs, I cant wait to get the old Barnes heavy jacket c&c bullets shot up in my M-71 Winchester 348 and develop a new load with the 250 gr Woodleighs, talk about a bonded, deep death punching hammer, they're it for that old lever gun.
Mart, I bet it did.

SCGunNut, Nice! I love that bullet in my 303, it regulates to the sights perfectly at 2168 fps, have never caught one, bet that doe didn't hold that bullet either.

Done that too. If you want to see fur fly,a .340 Wby with a 250 grain Nosler Partition @ 2900 fps will do it.

laugh
No pic, but 310 RN from 35 Whelen Ackley on a 200# Eurasian hog up on the U.P., MI Beautiful area, not really a hunt, but lots of hogs. I'm going to load some 300SN in my new to me 338 winmag before long. I have to wait until I get a real recoil pad put on this thing, no brake! smile

DF

I lied DF, got my plans changed yesterday evening, damn near forgot about valentines day date night out. blush laugh

Promise to get some pics this weekend.

Hello DF,

Got some 'Waylaid by Woodleigh' pics sent to your e-mail. smile

Gunner
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/18/18
Sweet!
Posted By: mart Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/19/18

Checking Midway, they're comparable to Nosler Partitions and Barnes X for price.
Sweet!

The Mighty Farmer Of Dirt is MIA. cry
Sweet!

Not in your worst dreams... blush

Was down in New Orleans, playing with Grandkids. Just got home...

Here's gunner's contribution to the Woodleigh collection of waylaid critters:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/19/18
Great pictures! Those are darned cool!
LOL, many Thanks DF, dont know where the little Duiker got off too, you wouldn't believe what i had to do to get Wifey to send you these photos...................................................would you believe i had to relieve her for 15 minutes on the butter churn while she sent these? laugh

Thanks Big Beretzs, you gotta get to Africa someday my friend.
You almost forgetting Valentine Day nearly put this whole process in grave danger... blush

By the skin of yo teeth did we get these pictures... shocked

We need pictures of you with that churn... cool

laugh

DF
You almost forgetting Valentine Day nearly put this whole process in grave danger... blush

By the skin of yo teeth did we get these pictures... shocked

We need pictures of you with that churn... cool

laugh

DF

LOL, got V-Day in the bag wheeeewww!

NO-WAY on da churn Brudda, I already act wussy enough on this website. laugh cool

Was sure glad to hand it back over to her, she took the cream from two fresh gallons of milk and made a hell of a chunk of homemade butter, good stuff Buddy. smile
It's gonna take a lot of that home churned butter to get you to match your bud in photo #2.

Not being critical of him, just saying... wink

He a Hoss... grin

Was he your guide?

DF
You bet, that's my PH Kobus, he's probably 5'11" and 350lbs, that dude IS a hoss and stouter than a bull, looks can be deceiving too, he'll walk your nuts in the dirt, damn, those guys are tough as a boot heel out that way. smile
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/19/18

Checking Midway, they're comparable to Nosler Partitions and Barnes X for price.

Over here they are among the least expensive premium bullets especially from 8 mm on down.
Gunner500 nice animals smile I saw at the beginning of the thread you used a 400 gr but I missed seeing what cartridge you are using. I have thought about the 215 gr in the 303 a lot and may need to give them a try, will definitely try the 174 gr PP though.
Hello Gerry,

Yessir, the 400 gr Woodleigh soft is a hard killing sob, I love that bullet, these animals were hit with my 400 Whelen, the 400 gr Woodleigh bullets leave that rifle at 2255 fps, I also developed a 400 gr Woodleigh solid load at the same speed that went unused on this Safari.

The 215 gr Woodleigh is a missile at 2168 fps from my 303B, I've hit deer and pigs at all kinds of different angles over the years and am still looking for one to weigh and measure.

Gunner
You bet, that's my PH Kobus, he's probably 5'11" and 350lbs, that dude IS a hoss and stouter than a bull, looks can be deceiving too, he'll walk your nuts in the dirt, damn, those guys are tough as a boot heel out that way. smile

You saying he's tough, he's tough... wink

DF

You saying he's tough, he's tough... wink

DF

Yessir, Double Tough! smile
Hello Gerry,

Yessir, the 400 gr Woodleigh soft is a hard killing sob, I love that bullet, these animals were hit with my 400 Whelen, the 400 gr Woodleigh bullets leave that rifle at 2255 fps, I also developed a 400 gr Woodleigh solid load at the same speed that went unused on this Safari.

The 215 gr Woodleigh is a missile at 2168 fps from my 303B, I've hit deer and pigs at all kinds of different angles over the years and am still looking for one to weigh and measure.

Gunner

Very cool on all counts, I like your style and your choice in cartridges and bullets cool
Posted By: beretzs Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/19/18
Originally Posted by gerry35
Hello Gerry,

Gunner

Very cool on all counts, I like your style and your choice in cartridges and bullets cool

That’s a X2 from here!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/19/18
Beautiful pics! Looks like hunting heaven. Thanks a million for sharing them. You sir are indeed the poster boy for Woodleigh.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Hello Gerry,

Gunner

That’s a X2 from here!

Dang, it sure was Monday today men, long old wet rainy windy winter days like today only make hunting Africa sweeter when you can break and run off for a couple weeks, Thanks for the compliments Gerry, Beretzs, and Otter.

Dont know if any of you have been, but please be ready when you do, cause it'll bite ya, and bite hard it does! cool
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/20/18
Thanks gunner, hope to do a church conference in South Africa in the next 5 years or so. We have a bunch of friends there we would love to visit and while there I plan on doing 2 or 3 days of hunting. Might be the only chance I ever get to do it but there is a pretty good chance it happens.
Thanks gunner, hope to do a church conference in South Africa in the next 5 years or so. We have a bunch of friends there we would love to visit and while there I plan on doing 2 or 3 days of hunting. Might be the only chance I ever get to do it but there is a pretty good chance it happens.

That'll work Gerry, guiding lost souls towards the light of Christ, then feeding your soul with something you may have been wanting to do for decades, WIN/WIN!!!!! smile

Hope it turns out just the way you want.
Hoping it happens, the group we are associated with are based in South Africa and we have had a bunch of people head over to there for short and long term "missionary" work (don't really like the term but can't think of any better one right now). When we go we hope to be there for a month or so. It's in our long term goals anyway, do a stint helping out the missionaries and then hunt and hopefully fish there too. Impala would be a must and would love a chance at duiker, springbok and similar animals.
A nice bag of plains game right quick for a two or three day hunt would indeed be a blast, hunt, shoot and move to the next animal hard and heavy for 10 hours a day, exhausting elation that even if you live to be 110 you'll never forget. smile
And you could do it all with a good 270 and 150 gr Woodleigh bullets, then add those to this thread.

Oh, and it wouldn't be gay either. grin
I would probably use a loaner gun there but my 270 Win with a 150 gr Woodleigh would be just about perfect smile Going to have to try that one or the 180 gr PP sometime, a 165 gr that would work in a 1 in 10 twist would be a nice addition. Mine is a 1 in 9 so would handle the 180 gr just fine I'm sure, I'm going to email Woodleigh now and ask they consider making a 165 gr.
Perfect, even an old 10 twist 30-06 will spin a 200 gr Woodleigh PP up plenty tight.
gunner, that kudu with you and Kobus is outstanding. What did it measure?

DF
Posted By: beretzs Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/20/18
And you could do it all with a good 270 and 150 gr Woodleigh bullets, then add those to this thread.

I kinda like the combo...
Posted By: ismith Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/20/18
Waylaid this bull with three round nosed 270 gr. Woodleighs out of my 375 Rimless. He was dead on his feet with the first shot, but I gave him two more because with elk I shoot until they're on the ground.
[Linked Image]
gunner, that kudu with you and Kobus is outstanding. What did it measure?

DF

Thanks DF, I dont remember the actual way they combo measure the horns, but that bull went nearly 57 inches.
Originally Posted by beretzs

I kinda like the combo...

You bet beretzs, we aint skeered. smile
Originally Posted by ismith
Waylaid this bull with three round nosed 270 gr. Woodleighs out of my 375 Rimless. He was dead on his feet with the first shot, but I gave him two more because with elk I shoot until they're on the ground.
[Linked Image]

Magnificent bull and rifle ismith, that cool as hell Sir, is that an old British George Gibbs rifle?
Posted By: ismith Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/20/18

Magnificent bull and rifle ismith, that cool as hell Sir, is that an old British George Gibbs rifle?

It's London proofed but the there is no maker name. According to the guy I bought it from it came out of an estate in San Francisco.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/21/18

It's London proofed but the there is no maker name. According to the guy I bought it from it came out of an estate in San Francisco.

Beautiful bull and rifle!

10-4 ismith, guessing 375 Rimless to be the great 375 H&H Magnum?
Bet drilling that bull with barrel sights was a rush, eh beretzs?
Posted By: ismith Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/22/18

10-4 ismith, guessing 375 Rimless to be the great 375 H&H Magnum?

Nope, it's the the British name for the 9.5x57 MS.
[Linked Image]
Well, I was looking for the 'belted' part, the rimless is even cooler, a necked up 7X57mm, No Sir, it just doesn't get any cooler than that! smile
Two cape buffalo and a blue wildebeest with 350gr .375 H&H.
Gunner, I think he may be crowding you on the “cool” factor.

DF
Posted By: ismith Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/24/18
Here are the three that did the waylaying..........
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/24/18
Nice recoveries, they obviously worked very well.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/24/18
Tough summitchin bullets.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Only a whitetail doe with the 215gr .303 British.

[Linked Image]

SC Gun nut I have hunted in Canada most of my life and as such have seen some of the ugliest 303 British rifles on earth. Some retired military rifles that looked like they've been rolling around in the back of pick ups. Now that one you own makes me want to own one.

Sweet!

Not in your worst dreams... blush

Was down in New Orleans, playing with Grandkids. Just got home...

Here's gunner's contribution to the Woodleigh collection of waylaid critters:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DF you're having way too much fun.

Good luck and shoot straight all

Bob

Bob

Probably... laugh

DF
Posted By: North61 Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/25/18
300 grain Weldcore
220 yards
Mountain Caribou
Yukon
405 Winchester

[Linked Image]
Gunner, I think he may be crowding you on the “cool” factor.

DF

Damn right, with a cool iron sighted British magazine rifle with a fantastic bull in the snow, Yup! smile

Bob

Probably... laugh

DF

laugh laugh

Good job on the Caribou North! smile
Posted By: VernAK Re: Waylaid with a Woodleigh. - 02/26/18
Originally Posted by North61
300 grain Weldcore
220 yards
Mountain Caribou
Yukon
405 Winchester

[Linked Image]

Well Greg!

I see you're wearing Crocs while Mom and Son are wearing hiking boots.
It's very evident who packs the meat out.

Nice one!
© 24hourcampfire