Home
I recently had a disappointing elk hunt, booked thru them. They lied about the guide/outfitter, misrepresented how the horseback hunt would be conducted, and then have not followed through on how a future hunt would be arranged.

When I finally contacted Keith today, he was belligerent, and rude in his response to me concerning the way I've been treated. Jack Sr would rip Keith a new one, if he were still around.

Heads up for any of you considering booking thru them. There is a good chance it would not play out as described by them.
It’s a shame to be treated like that when guided hunts are so expensive.

I hunted Antelope last year with Sagebrush Hunts guided by Jeremy Gugelmeyer in Dalhart, Tx. Nothing was misrepresented. The food was top notch. And, he tailored the hunt to my bad knee. It was fun & definitely a full experience. I feel like I got more than I paid for.
I am unsure if Jack is still alive or not but i can tell you he was / is a hell of a man. Hope this gets worked out.
Thats a shame, I always thought using them would almost guarantee a good experience.
Once upon a time, booking agents were almost the only way to find an outfitter.
Not now, shows give you a chance to talk face to face, the Internet is everything at your fingers.

They better fix this fast, customer service is all they can offer today.
Agreed...

w/out going into Detail, They definitely have progressed backwards over the last several Years.....
"Progressed backwards," I'm gonna steal that one.
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. He's channeling Yogi Berra.
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I am unsure if Jack is still alive or not but i can tell you he was / is a hell of a man. Hope this gets worked out.

http://mtstandard.com/news/local/ob...04dc3d6-de27-5c33-9f29-5f53f434223d.html
Progressed backwards is a good term. I’m stealing it too.
I only ever used one booking agent. Ill never use another. Lies and deception were the order of the day.
Originally Posted by yukonal
I recently had a disappointing elk hunt, booked thru them. They lied about the guide/outfitter, misrepresented how the horseback hunt would be conducted, and then have not followed through on how a future hunt would be arranged.

When I finally contacted Keith today, he was belligerent, and rude in his response to me concerning the way I've been treated. Jack Sr would rip Keith a new one, if he were still around.

Heads up for any of you considering booking thru them. There is a good chance it would not play out as described by them.

Why post this months after the hunt? Just curious.
What is a booking agent?
I'd be interested, I think, to read what was promised and what was not delivered. Usually those threads get interesting.
Well, these sorts of posts are generally a guy signing up (joining here) for the sole purpose of bagging on an outfitter.

I haven't seen Al around here much lately but I know him well enough (here and outside the campfire) that if he tells me it's raining, I'm packing a raincoat.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What is a booking agent?

Someone that handles the advertising and arranging the dates of your hunt. They may have more than one property at their disposal. Their sole purpose is to fill all the available hunt dates per property. Usually employed by ranches to do the scheduling,freeing up the land owners time to tend to his own business. All for a fee. In my case he was smooth. Like silk. And lied like there was no tomorrow.

Our party were promised use of showers,and access to the whole 10,000 acre ranch. It came to pass that we weren't allowed to use the showers,and were barred from all the good roost timber on the ranch. We were Turkey hunting. The caretaker of the ranch said that particular pasture was reserved for some guys from General Motors, who entertain business guests there. So,we drove on down to Sonora and showered at a motel. We sat in camp not 200 yards from pasture 2B, and listened to Turkey on the roost in the evenings. I did shoot one Rio. At distance with a rifle I'd brought for hog hunting. It was the only bird taken that week between 3 camps of hunters. One fella across the road from us, was there for the last bird of his grand slam. He was praying for our booking agent to pop in for a visit. Don't think he wanted to talk much though. Lesson learned.

You do realize the word is regressed, right?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Don't be that guy.

P
(YES, .....saw the BlatantlyObvious Grammer Blasphemy, ...and thinking a Hug, Therapy, and a SnoFlake Shaped Lollipop in Your Likeness would Right the Unjustifiable Incursion on Your Encroached PersonalSpace, that You feel so Violated and Molested within)

PLEASE accept My sincere heartfelt Apology
This is a bummer to hear.

Jack Atcheson is a pioneer in the booking industry and a Montana legend. Always thought his boys would carry that legacy on with his high standards.

I hope it is just an isolated incident?
Originally Posted by rost495
I'd be interested, I think, to read what was promised and what was not delivered. Usually those threads get interesting.

More details would be helpful
Originally Posted by BWalker

A wise man tries to calm down, and not make a huge deal out of the experience, after getting hosed. And, Jack Sr. made that company a reputable service. I have a hand signed book from him that I treasure. But, after trying to give them a second chance to see if the first was a fluke, and getting lied to again...I see a pattern. And thought I would pass on a warning. Nothing more. Live and learn.

More details would do no one any good, as I'm not looking for any resolution. I just won't spend anymore of my hard earned money with a dishonest company. We've all heard it dozens of times...a father builds a business up to a great company, with an excellent reputation, and when the kids take over...they drive it into the ground.

I have had some excellent outfitted hunts in recent years. This one, and the recent one that almost happened, were not as represented. That's my [calm] wording. Most of all, the way Keith Atcheson replied to my concerns, really set me off. A little, disrespectful POS.

I, too, hope this isn't a sign of things to come, with this company. And Scott, thank you for the kind words.

I am in the opposite camp.....i booked a sheep, bear, moose hunt in the brooks range a few years ago.......i wanted horseback, .....they recommend an outfitter. great hunt.......every thing that the atcheson's told me is what happened.....they delivered.

i went on to do 2 more hunts with the outfitter , that they recommended. .......also i had put down a good sized deposit on a african hunt with them..( 10,000.00)......at the same time i had another deposit with a different booking agent.

the economy went to $hit, and i had to cancel......i gave both booking agents ample notice......the atcheson's, promptly refunded me and said they understood.......the other agent basically told me to pound sand...lost 5,000.00.

I would use them again in a heartbeat.....I will recommend them to anyone......bob
Originally Posted by SKane
Well, these sorts of posts are generally a guy signing up (joining here) for the sole purpose of bagging on an outfitter.

I haven't seen Al around here much lately but I know him well enough (here and outside the campfire) that if he tells me it's raining, I'm packing a raincoat.

Yep. Al is top notch.
Originally Posted by SKane

Oh, and I've been around...just in a lurker capacity.

And T...thank you as well.
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What is a booking agent?

Someone that handles the advertising and arranging the dates of your hunt. They may have more than one property at their disposal. Their sole purpose is to fill all the available hunt dates per property. Usually employed by ranches to do the scheduling,freeing up the land owners time to tend to his own business. All for a fee. In my case he was smooth. Like silk. And lied like there was no tomorrow.

Our party were promised use of showers,and access to the whole 10,000 acre ranch. It came to pass that we weren't allowed to use the showers,and were barred from all the good roost timber on the ranch. We were Turkey hunting. The caretaker of the ranch said that particular pasture was reserved for some guys from General Motors, who entertain business guests there. So,we drove on down to Sonora and showered at a motel. We sat in camp not 200 yards from pasture 2B, and listened to Turkey on the roost in the evenings. I did shoot one Rio. At distance with a rifle I'd brought for hog hunting. It was the only bird taken that week between 3 camps of hunters. One fella across the road from us, was there for the last bird of his grand slam. He was praying for our booking agent to pop in for a visit. Don't think he wanted to talk much though. Lesson learned.

Thanks. I can see the need but it does seem like an industry set up to attract failures.
Note PM, when Time allows...
Hmm, sounds like Al is a reliable source.

But it still makes more sense to disclose the issue, as to some the issue may be a NON issue, to others it may well matter.

YMMV and I don't use booking agents so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.
Booked a BC hunt in 1978 through them..Great game country..Supposed to have horses..Good thing I was 30 and tough ( I built houses )..When I arrived I was handed a backpack for 18 days ..Myself and one Sikani Indian guide...I got a nice 60'' moose and a silver tip grizzly..No goat which I wanted bad but no big deal..Bargain by today's terms ..$4500 with trophy fee...Took my wife who stayed at main lodge and spent half her time fighting outfitter off although he had his girlfriend there..Really crude bastard and I won't say name as I'm sure some would recognize it..Indians hated him as he treated them like crap and chased their wives while guides were out....Arrogant sucker move to Ak shortly after..Been nice if was warned ahead of time..Hunt was ok but really tough.
Thanks to the [several] people from this forum that pm'd me with similar negative...ok...pizz poor experiences with, and booking thru Atchesons. Some of the stories that were related to me were worse than mine! I would have to say that they are an outfit that I could NOT recommend to anyone. Everyone has to make their own decision, but my advice would be to tread lightly if even considering them.
Been nice if was warned ahead of time.. I won't say name as I'm sure some would recognize it. ManyMoons you cannot have it both ways. You beetch about about not being warned but you don't have the balls to call him out.
You could get this straightened out if you wanted to. From what you first said, there seems to be some objective things that were of concern, and some subjective things that were of concern. The objective things are factual. Did they happen or not. No getting around that. The subjective things not so much. Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there.

The idea is to rise above that, realizing that you have a mission to accomplish, and that in order to accomplish it you have to rise above and ignore the behavior that the other guy is doing, whether you disagree with it or not.

One thing is for sure. Respect has to be earned equally on both sides. Apparently that didn't happen here. Instead of throwing the whole thing in the toilet, go back, say you feel bad for your end of things whether you said anything wrong or not, and ignore any rudeness or disrespect coming from the other guy. Keep your mind on the prize, which is to get a resolution of the issue. Re explain what happened and calmly present your case as to what you think should happen next. Even if you don't get the resolution you want leave on a good note and possibly try to take the case up again at a later date. See if there is anyway that you can help the other guy to help you.
Just what are you smoking?
Al got screwed - twice! And you want him to play "nicey-nicey"?
Originally Posted by 22WRF
You could get this straightened out if you wanted to. From what you first said, there seems to be some objective things that were of concern, and some subjective things that were of concern. The objective things are factual. Did they happen or not. No getting around that. The subjective things not so much. Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there.

The idea is to rise above that, realizing that you have a mission to accomplish, and that in order to accomplish it you have to rise above and ignore the behavior that the other guy is doing, whether you disagree with it or not.

One thing is for sure. Respect has to be earned equally on both sides. Apparently that didn't happen here. Instead of throwing the whole thing in the toilet, go back, say you feel bad for your end of things whether you said anything wrong or not, and ignore any rudeness or disrespect coming from the other guy. Keep your mind on the prize, which is to get a resolution of the issue. Re explain what happened and calmly present your case as to what you think should happen next. Even if you don't get the resolution you want leave on a good note and possibly try to take the case up again at a later date. See if there is anyway that you can help the other guy to help you.

He did the right thing. He got shafted and he warned all of us so we don't. I realize you think you know more about what happened than he does, but you weren't there so your opinion doesn't amount to much.
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by 22WRF

He did the right thing. He got shafted and he warned all of us so we don't. I realize you think you know more about what happened than he does, but you weren't there so your opinion doesn't amount to much.

Too bad the search tool here tends to be cumbersome, but past post history of members is a good way to find out as to whom you are dealing with...The OP is correct. He had a lousy experience and is warning us about it. Pure and simple
"Once the first "you" is said in a disagreement things usually start going downhill from there."

Another name for this would be Ad hominem argument, or appeal to personal ridicule. Its most often used by people when they run out of intelligent things to say about the issue itself, so they try to avoid the issue on its merits by instead attacking the personality of the other person.
Instead of dealing with the opponent's thesis on the merits, the fallacious argument attacks reputation and moral character; or refers to low intelligence, inferior social position, lack of education, or similar shortcomings. In the short run it sometimes works. In the long run it never works.
Here, in the short term the poster will have the satisfaction of warning other people of his difficulties. And some people will accept it. But the story is not complete. It doesn't provide the facts necessary for a disinterested person to make a factual finding of what exactly happened. And in the long run that particular business will continue on with its business, being hurt very little, if any, by what has been posted here. And the poster is left where he is, whether that is out of money, or out of a hunt, or whatever he is seeking.

A much better result would be continued negotiations based on the issue itself rather than the personalities of the parties. Maybe even a face to face meeting. Maybe with other suggestions on how the problem could be resolved. Because it sure isn't resolved now.

Me too..

Why in hell would you be interested in a future hunt with them, if they are as bad as you stated?

My guess is that there are two sides to this "disappointing" hunt. Sometimes outfitters do get overbooked and have to do some last minute shuffling. Bottom line: Did you get a shot at an elk?

BH63
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Don't be that guy.

P

Too late......
My dad did alot of business with Atchesons over the years. I remember him mentioning that he dislaiked Keith, but that Jack SR and JR wherr c
Good people. I hunted with Jack Jr. And he struck me as a standup guy.
I'm Keith Atcheson with Jack Atcheson and Sons. We are a hunting consulting business that started in 1955.

Recently, I accidentally came across this post by Al Quast from MI. As other posters mentioned there is likely more to the story. Quast made intentional, lying, and disparaging remarks about myself, our company and even brings my deceased father to the matter. Online forums are no place to resolve issues between 2 parties but it makes for good entertainment except for those involved.

It’s a year old but better late than never.

Here's the timeline. On February 29th 2016 Quast contacted me and requested information on guided MT elk hunting and northern grizzly bear hunting. I responded the same day by sending him information on a hunting area where we have been sending elk hunters for over 50 years. Its changed ownership a few times but it has been a steady producer on branch antlered bulls. It is not represented as a trophy bull elk area though it has produced many. Just a fun high success bull elk hunt. We know the operation well.

Going forward from initial contact, I never heard from Quast again on this hunt until I received the email below on December 20th 2016.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Keith Atcheson
Subject: Re: Elk hunt

[/quote]Hi Keith,

Just a quick note to let you know I hunted at XXXX Mtn. this Nov., and make sure you get their cut from them...lol

Quite a bit has changed since you hunted with them. XXXX no longer works there, then XXXXX husband took over...and he's out now, too. A new guy guided me, who just started for them this year. He's been in the area all his life.

They were pretty unorganized with the horses after the first day, but seemed to know what they were doing.

I got my bull, a 4 point youngster. I'm plenty happy with him. They obviously(and the guide agreed) overhunted the place. I think my bull was the 20th bull killed in 3 weeks. There were no 5 or 6 points on the ranch when I arrived. The weather was very mild, and having a herd still moving around was a blessing.

There were a couple dozen spikes in the herd, and that should make for some good hunting in a couple years.

We need to talk again this winter sometime, and get me lined up with some hunts in the future. Keep me in mind for a cancellation grizzly hunt, as I'm not prepared to spend $12-$13,000 on a bear hunt.

Thanks again Keith, and Happy Holidays to you and all you guys there.

Al Quast [quote]

In his own words this does not sound like a guy that's unhappy or had a poor hunt. Quast booked this hunt directly with the operator. I had zero contact with him financially or on arranging this elk hunt with the outfitter. I did not even know he booked. He's not a client of Jack Atcheson & Sons, period.

This morning, I talked to the outfitter who personally guided Quast, says he shot his bull the first morning of the hunt. So did his brother later in the day. He had more comments as well.

This sets the table with Quast and my experience with him which is very little. Never met the man.

Originally, he wanted some griz hunting options as well. At his request, between the dates of June 17th 2016 and March 21st of 2018 Quast received multiple emails from us representing good bear hunt options. He never acted on any of them and I recall no phone conversations but I talk with a lot of people in this business.

On March 21st 2018 our office receives a written complaint about us not contacting him directly when a " good deal" comes up. I don't like people to be unhappy. I was literally boarding a bush flight in Alaska, gone for 10 days and could not call him. While still able, I apologized to him in a written response and told him it certainly was not intentional. I had not heard from this guy for a long time. I told him, " instead of complaining and blaming me he should consider some great hunts that were open right then and there for great pricing." My office gave him information immediately and the outfitters numbers.

Come to find out a year later, he did not like my tone but I don’t have much interest in people like this for reasons that seem obvious. Fast forward, not liking my response on entirely another issue, goes on line a year and a half later and lies to damage our reputation.

The last thing Quast wrote to me was, “ You think I'm a small fish but the pen is mightier than the sword.” Then he went to the internet.

Seem like old news but if an outfitter or booking agent ruffled my feathers, put money on me immediately making an issue over it, not a year later. It seems like the client here hasn't much to do....just sayin'.
Two sides to the story.

Just my simple observation, but whether on this forum or other forums, if it takes the allegedly aggrieved person months or years to "warn" others, then the issues are not what they seem, and the aggrieved party is often, if not usually, the source of the issue.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Two sides to the story.

Just my simple observation, but whether on this forum or other forums, if it takes the allegedly aggrieved person months or years to "warn" others, then the issues are not what they seem, and the aggrieved party is often, if not usually, the source of the issue.

have never understood someone "hinting" about how they got treated on a hunt......if you got something to say..say it or shut up..

so it( looks) like a simple case of this al , lying to get attention...…..him being a good old boy and all...….safari man syndrome……...bob
subtle and discreet online reviews are a joke,

Most often the OP comes out looking bad rather than the outfitter,

Similar to references from outfitters, cherry picked and so misleading....
So he gets information from you to book the hunt and doesn’t actually book it through you and goes straight to the outfitter? Did you get a commission or was the hunt price negotiated down? Not that it matters, I’m just curios

You’d think that email where he says he was happy with the hunt tells us the entire story but when you can tie that in with the last correspondence you had with Al being March 21 and this post being started on March 21 that’s unreal.

Al? What’s the word? Have anything else to add?

I will say again....my dealings with the atchesons…...have been straight up...3 hunts with the outfitter they recommended...…

I would use them again, and recommend them...….bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

I will say again....my dealings with the atchesons…...have been straight up...3 hunts with the outfitter they recommended...…

I would use them again, and recommend them...….bob

I have friends and clients that have hunted all over the world for sheep using them and haven’t had any issues at all
Way back in the early 80s I wanted to kill a big antelope.
I booked one of my few guided hunts through them.
I once stopped by their place in Butte and the old man gave me a full tour of the place, I was just a kid at the time, but he took time to show me around Jack Jr was polite and cordial as well.
They did me good on the goat too...

[Linked Image]

nice goat....bob
Thanks Bob.
I am really wondering what is going on here. There are three sides to every story, Your side, their side, and somewhere in-between all that the truth.

I don't know that I would ever use Jack Atcheson & Sons services but wouldn't rule it out either. I don't see any credible proof of the accusations against Atcheson &Sons.

Did you employ Atcheson & Sons services? Can you show us proof of that? Sounds to me they did you a favor and gave you a recommendation.
[quote=hanco]Progressed backwards is a good term. I’m stealing it too.[/quo

Kind of like saying took a Strategic position to the rear!! Cheers NC

are you going to clear this up...….or continue to lie ( so it seems )……...to lie about someone in business , to cause them financial harm....is really being a chicken shct……...bob
FWIW

I called and spoke with them three years ago re. a hunt in Alberta..Very vague answers to my questions and the area of the hunt. Just no details at all.

I was not ready to commit thousands of dollars without some concrete info on the hunt.

Lefty C
Good 'ol YukonAl has some explaining to do now.
I have no dog in this fight, but I must say that YukonAl's silence is curiously deafening since Keith Atcheson came on to refute his allegations.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I have no dog in this fight, but I must say that YukonAl's silence is curiously deafening since Keith Atcheson came on to refute his allegations.

I don’t have a dog in the fight either and have always gotten along with Al so I hate bumping this to the top but an explanation would be nice. This type of behavior is inexcusable IMO

I know a guy that’s hunted with Al, I am going to get his take
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I don’t have a dog in the fight either and have always gotten along with Al so I hate bumping this to the top but an explanation would be nice. This type of behavior is inexcusable IMO

I know a guy that’s hunted with Al, I am going to get his take

Until he can show a contract with Jack Atcheson & Sons, YukonAl has no legitimate bitch. If and when he shows that contract he still has a lot of explaining to do.
X2!
Well he logged on 48 min ago..... hmmm
Over on the Africa Forum, looking to go on a trip.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...parate-ammunition-container#Post13652351

maybe we could recommend an booking agent to him......they usually give you that type of info.....if you really book with them..

I am having a hard time letting this go....trying to ruin someone just is not right.....bob
Sic ‘em..... LOL!
I have booked three hunts through Keith Atcheson personally, one in Alaska and two in Zimbabwe. All have turned out very well, with the outfitters performing as expected. I have nothing to say about Ateheson's except good things. From what I've read here, I think there is something wrong with the OP. If I ever go on another expensive hunt, I will book it through Atcheson's.

There are a lot of good reasons to use a reputable booking agent. They know the outfitters and the areas. Keith Atcheson had personally hunted with at least two of the ones he recommended to me. Second, you pay the booking agent directly, who then pays the outfitter. This means you have leverage if things don't turn out as they were supposed to. An estblished firm like Atcheson's has a lot of clout with these guys.

I have booked hunts with two other booking agents. One was an elk hunt with Cabelas. It turned out well but I'm not sure Cabela's does that any more. The second was an elephant hunt through a South African agent. I had a medical problem and had to postpone, but the outfitter kept my deposit and wouldn't even apply it to a hunt the next year. After that I booked my first Zim hunt with Keith Atcheson. He suggested an elephant hunt where I could also get a buffalo. A twofer. Incidentally I did get a bull elephant, a buffalo, a hippo, and a 14-foot crocodile on that hunt.

My second Zim hunt booked with Atcheson's was a 21-day big 4 hunt. I got a bigger elephant, a bigger buffalo, a male lion, plus some miscaellaneous stuff. Didn't get a leopard--none came to the bait--but who's complaining. My PH gave me a hand tooled elephant skin ammo wallet, a bush ax, and some gaiters that actually work (unlike the cheap Cabela's ones). Also let me fire his .500 Nitro Express double a few times. A lot of people were surprised at how "little" I paid for this hunt, BTW.

My Alaska hunt was a starter for Caribou. Keith recommended an area where the quota was two plus a black bear. I got two bulls but not the black bear (my fault).

In short I recommend Atcheson's.
I have heard a lot of good about the outfit, even after Jack Sr passed on. I have his book "Hunting Adventures Worldwide", he took the time to scrawl a nice sentiment as well as autograph it. I really like the book, and would believe the old saying that apples don't fall far from the tree.
Originally Posted by WAM
Sic ‘em..... LOL!

he can make it right......or be a shcit……..the people that jumped on his side, need to call safari man al out...….bob
He knows he F_cked up. He walked away rather than man up and say sorry. In my opinion bottomline is he shot a dink right away, Then realized he messed up and wants to blame someone else. Total Bullsh_t if you ask me. Atcheson's did the right thing here. Stated their case and moved on. You know who won here? Jack Atcheson & Sons!
The outfitters I know that use a booking agent to plug holes, hunters that they booked themselves backed out( the deposit is kept). They then fill the opening with a reduced price hunt through an agent. ...check the outfitters references by yourself, imo.Sorry to hear the trip was a bust though.
Originally Posted by comerade
The outfitters I know that use a booking agent to plug holes, hunters that they booked themselves backed out( the deposit is kept). They then fill the opening with a reduced price hunt through an agent. ...check the outfitters references by yourself, imo.Sorry to hear the trip was a bust though.

Was it a bust? According to the email he sent booking agent that he apparently didn’t even use to book the hunt it was a good hunt. Did you read the entire thread?

Al, if there is more to the story please let us know. You came on here with the intent to hurt Atcheson and Sons yet their story, which is verified by an email that you sent them, is different. What gives Al. Please tell us there’s more
I do not like these types of threads. People's reputation gets hurt and there is no recourse since once it is posted it is on there for an eternity. I believe there were better ways of handling this other then posting this crap on the Internet.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I do not like these types of threads. People's reputation gets hurt and there is no recourse since once it is posted it is on there for an eternity. I believe there were better ways of handling this other then posting this crap on the Internet.

Exactly. Problem is it appears that this was a manufactured bull$#it story and posted out of spite. Al, change my mind.....

I’m pissed because I actually referenced this thread in a discussion with a friend of mine who called BS the minute I brought it up so not only is Al trying to hurt Atcheson he’s also undermining credibility of those that gave him the benefit of the doubt. I will bump this thread every day until Al offers an explanation or apology. Either way ole Al has some explaining to do

i disagree......lay it out there, dont flat out lie...your reputation stays intact.....al can come on here and straighten it out....by not saying nothing, sure makes it look like he is a liar.

also other people can make up their own minds, if they would deal with someone like this........usually the way a reputation gets ruined...is by the person themselves......bob
Originally Posted by comerade

Was it a bust? According to the email he sent booking agent that he apparently didn’t even use to book the hunt it was a good hunt. Did you read the entire thread?

Al, if there is more to the story please let us know. You came on here with the intent to hurt Atcheson and Sons yet their story, which is verified by an email that you sent them, is different. What gives Al. Please tell us there’s more

Actually I agree with you. There are client/ hunters that are never satisfied. I think Jack Atcheson's agency has a good reputation and I tend to side with the business side.
So many hunters poorly prepare for outfitted hunts, it can be like taking out a beginner hunter sometimes..I say, the hunter should do his due diligence and prepare- get fit etc
Some folks would complain even if you hung ‘em with a new rope. That’s one reason I pay little attention to blather like Al’s.
Crickets...…………...
one more, for Ignore
To me this backfired on old Al. What he intended on was to hurt their business for whatever reason. To me anyways totally not credible. He has made J. Atcheson & Sons look great. They came on here professionally, stated the facts as far as their end goes, and showed proof of their claims. Al show us your contract with J. Atcheson & Sons! Or apologize like a man!

yuknoal?…………..bob
It is most definitely bad form, big time, to make a post like the OP did and then walk away, regardless in who is right in the ordeal....

Very bad form, in fact I'd call it chicken chitt...
As I've said before, I rarely put much stock in negative reviews. Some people are just [bleep] and aren't happy regardless. Not saying that's the case here, but without the facts to make my own mind up, a negative review means nothing.

All you have to do is look at the topics in the campfire to see all the stupid bitching people do. One person was mad at Cabelas because he didn't pay his credit card on time and they raised his interest rate as per the CC agreement. One guy was mad at FedEx because he ordered something and then immediately left town for the week. When FedEx tried to deliver it 3 days in a row while he was out of town, somehow that was FedEx's fault. One guy bad mouths his butcher because he keeps calling him to come pick up his sausage because he doesn't have room to store it, which is the standard MO for most butchers. SO on and so on, this place has more middle aged snowflakes than I would have ever guessed, so without facts backing up a negative review, it means nothing.

I'll also add I've booked 3 or 4 hunts through Keith, the first about 16 years ago and the last about 9 years ago. The first hunt was disappointing on some levels, but none of which I felt had anything to do with Keith, the other hunts though have created a great friendship with several outfitters, and even a great relationship between my daughter and one of the outfitters son. Things happen, but from my dealings with Keith, I'm confident he would do what he could to make things right.
My say is this...You danm sure better have undeniable proof of your bitch before you come before a jury of your Fire peers.

If you don’t, it’s best you lick your own wounds at home...If you want to burn a man and his business for reasons of your own making. Bust out a bigger med kit, cuz you’re gonna bleed some more. 😎
Thing that bugs me, is it appears that Al never ever had a contract with Atchesons.

If i got it right, Al had a conversation with Keith, learned who Keith would set him up with, then probably said I will think about it. Then he went to that outfitter and booked a hunt directly with them. That's kind of like dating the girlfriend of a soldier posted in a combat zone. Bad form. I sure as hell would never ever mention it to Keith. Bad form. Then he has the nerve to ask Keith to call him if a reduced price hunt shows up. If someone did that to me, I'd probably tell them to screw off, don't call me, I'll call you. Keith said that several suggestions were sent by Email, but crickets, no response. Then he's mad when he isn't pampered by Keith? Keith was mean, no rude!

Trying to get even by making this thread. Good grief, talk about little school girl behavior!

With no cause to be mad at Keith, technically Keith never provided a service, so Al never used the business, yet he besmirched the integrity and reputation of Jack Acheson and Sons. That folks, could be construed as slander.

Some say the internet is forever. Al needs to apologize to Keith. Then ask Rick to remove the thread.
Al needs to apologize to Keith. Then ask Rick to remove the thread.

100%
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

100%

he needs to apologize in public....on this forum………...ab2506......that is how I read it also...….he never even booked the hunt through the acthesons , but then comes on here and badmouths them.

if al comes on here....apologizes , it sets this mess right...…….bob

100%

he needs to apologize in public....on this forum………...ab2506......that is how I read it also...….he never even booked the hunt through the acthesons , but then comes on here and badmouths them.

Al had contacted me a few times years ago about hunts. Seemed like a good guy but how well do you ever really know somebody from a few phone calls or interaction over a hunting forum? So when this thread was posted I didn’t think a lot of it as it was literally the first negative report I had heard about Atchesons BUT it did come up in conversation with a dear friend of mine in the hunting world. I’m not going to post his name on here but I’m confident that a lot of folks would recognize it. Needless to say I trust and value his opinion. I had to send an apology to him and a copy of the link to him and let him know that he was right, this didn’t happen

[Linked Image]

Hopefully Al, who has apparently had the time to post this a year ago and respond multiple times to discuss how bad of an experience he had is now too busy to respond to any of us or the man he tried to publicly hurt as he hasn’t responded to any of us or the post from Keith Atcheson. Disappointing to say the least and absolute chicken chitt behavior from somebody I thought was a decent guy. I wonder if Al had really thought this through as to what the legal ramifications of writing a bullchitt malicious review are. My friend is the one that brought that up. Interesting though

Al, hopefully you now understand why I’m pissed. My bringing it up to my friend, thank God, was in normal conversation and in passing but you hung me out to dry with your bullshit review. You slandered and intentionally tried to hurt Keith Atcheson and his family and you don’t have the stones to come in here, own up and apologize like a man. GFY Al, repeatedly.....

100%

100%

+1 million
This is no different that what Jussie Smollett did. Manufactured a bullshit story to get attention for himself and hurt others in the process
More crickets from good ole Yukonal…………………...

100%

Al had contacted me a few times years ago about hunts. Seemed like a good guy but how well do you ever really know somebody from a few phone calls or interaction over a hunting forum? So when this thread was posted I didn’t think a lot of it as it was literally the first negative report I had heard about Atchesons BUT it did come up in conversation with a dear friend of mine in the hunting world. I’m not going to post his name on here but I’m confident that a lot of folks would recognize it. Needless to say I trust and value his opinion. I had to send an apology to him and a copy of the link to him and let him know that he was right, this didn’t happen

[Linked Image]

Hopefully Al, who has apparently had the time to post this a year ago and respond multiple times to discuss how bad of an experience he had is now too busy to respond to any of us or the man he tried to publicly hurt as he hasn’t responded to any of us or the post from Keith Atcheson. Disappointing to say the least and absolute chicken chitt behavior from somebody I thought was a decent guy. I wonder if Al had really thought this through as to what the legal ramifications of writing a bullchitt malicious review are. My friend is the one that brought that up. Interesting though

Al, hopefully you now understand why I’m pissed. My bringing it up to my friend, thank God, was in normal conversation and in passing but you hung me out to dry with your bullshit review. You slandered and intentionally tried to hurt Keith Atcheson and his family and you don’t have the stones to come in here, own up and apologize like a man. GFY Al, repeatedly.....

Exactly and well said......
I am not one for banning people but this case would qualify in my book as worthy for yukonal to be banned from the fire. He is actively on here and posting.He has clearly read all the post.

Yukonal you really need to man up here. What you did is dead wrong. You owe the man a public apology at the very least.
Originally Posted by Atcheson
I'm Keith Atcheson with Jack Atcheson and Sons. We are a hunting consulting business that started in 1955.

Recently, I accidentally came across this post by Al Quast from MI. As other posters mentioned there is likely more to the story. Quast made intentional, lying, and disparaging remarks about myself, our company and even brings my deceased father to the matter. Online forums are no place to resolve issues between 2 parties but it makes for good entertainment except for those involved.

Here's the timeline. On February 29th 2016 Quast contacted me and requested information on guided MT elk hunting and northern grizzly bear hunting. I responded the same day by sending him information on a hunting area where we have been sending elk hunters for over 50 years. Its changed ownership a few times but it has been a steady producer on branch antlered bulls. It is not represented as a trophy bull elk area though it has produced many. Just a fun high success bull elk hunt. We know the operation well.

Going forward from initial contact, I never heard from Quast again on this hunt until I received the email below on December 20th 2016.

Hi Keith,

Just a quick note to let you know I hunted at XXXX Mtn. this Nov., and make sure you get their cut from them...lol

Quite a bit has changed since you hunted with them. XXXX no longer works there, then XXXXX husband took over...and he's out now, too. A new guy guided me, who just started for them this year. He's been in the area all his life.

They were pretty unorganized with the horses after the first day, but seemed to know what they were doing.

I got my bull, a 4 point youngster. I'm plenty happy with him. They obviously(and the guide agreed) overhunted the place. I think my bull was the 20th bull killed in 3 weeks. There were no 5 or 6 points on the ranch when I arrived. The weather was very mild, and having a herd still moving around was a blessing.

There were a couple dozen spikes in the herd, and that should make for some good hunting in a couple years.

We need to talk again this winter sometime, and get me lined up with some hunts in the future. Keep me in mind for a cancellation grizzly hunt, as I'm not prepared to spend $12-$13,000 on a bear hunt.

Al Quast

In his own words this does not sound like a guy that's unhappy or had a poor hunt. Quast booked this hunt directly with the operator. I had zero contact with him financially or on arranging this elk hunt with the outfitter. I did not even know he booked. He's not a client of Jack Atcheson & Sons, period.

This morning, I talked to the outfitter who personally guided Quast, says he shot his bull the first morning of the hunt. So did his brother later in the day. He had more comments as well.

This sets the table with Quast and my experience with him which is very little. Never met the man.

Originally, he wanted some griz hunting options as well. At his request, between the dates of June 17th 2016 and March 21st of 2018 Quast received multiple emails from us representing good bear hunt options. He never acted on any of them and I recall no phone conversations but I talk with a lot of people in this business.

On March 21st 2018 our office receives a written complaint about us not contacting him directly when a " good deal" comes up. I don't like people to be unhappy. I was literally boarding a bush flight in Alaska, gone for 10 days and could not call him. While still able, I apologized to him in a written response and told him it certainly was not intentional. I had not heard from this guy for a long time. I told him, " instead of complaining and blaming me he should consider some great hunts that were open right then and there for great pricing." My office gave him information immediately and the outfitters numbers.

Come to find out a year later, he did not like my tone but I don’t have much interest in people like this for reasons that seem obvious. Fast forward, not liking my response on entirely another issue, goes on line a year and a half later and lies to damage our reputation.

The last thing Quast wrote to me was, “ You think I'm a small fish but the pen is mightier than the sword.” Then he went to the internet.

Reading this again really pisses me off. And not even a client. Getting free info and then going straight to the ranch and booking not having to pay Atcheson. Then on the internet years later bitching about the place he got the info from, for free.....unreal.....

A cheapskate and chickenchit.....

Don't think there's time to man up now Al....
A vicious ambush without sustainable credibility is never in good taste, never pretty.

Just part of the innanet era, I guess...

People need to think twice, then post...

DF

Originally Posted by BWalker

A wise man tries to calm down, and not make a huge deal out of the experience, after getting hosed. And, Jack Sr. made that company a reputable service. I have a hand signed book from him that I treasure. But, after trying to give them a second chance to see if the first was a fluke, and getting lied to again...I see a pattern. And thought I would pass on a warning. Nothing more. Live and learn.

More details would do no one any good, as I'm not looking for any resolution. I just won't spend anymore of my hard earned money with a dishonest company. We've all heard it dozens of times...a father builds a business up to a great company, with an excellent reputation, and when the kids take over...they drive it into the ground.

I have had some excellent outfitted hunts in recent years. This one, and the recent one that almost happened, were not as represented. That's my [calm] wording. Most of all, the way Keith Atcheson replied to my concerns, really set me off. A little, disrespectful POS.

I, too, hope this isn't a sign of things to come, with this company. And Scott, thank you for the kind words.

For those of you just catching up let me summarize....

Al talks to Atcheson's booking agency and finds out who they recommend for an elk hunt. Al doesn't use Atcheson's to book the actual hunt, goes behind their back and then rips them for no apparent reason and went so far as to tell a man that he's trying to ruin that his deceased father would "rip him a new one" and he calls the same man, of whom he was NOT a client, "A little, disrespectful POS" and for what? You felt disrespected because a guy you went around wasn't personally sending you the very best deals he had?

Jesus Christ, when you go back further than Keiths classy response it gets worse

I'm not normally stunned at things I see but this is absolutely stunning. Its pathetic, its chickenchitt, it might actually be the dirtiest attempt of character assassination I have ever seen.
Wow. Amazing how some people operate.
I knew Jack Sr. personally and considered him a friend. In fact I've quoted Jack several times on this (24HCF) site when I needed to provide some wise words about hunting to someone. I have had good experiences with Atchesons and have sent many people to them. I've never heard a complaint in return.
Book where you want, but Atchesons won't steer you wrong.
This whole saga is pretty disgusting and petty. This Al character must feel pretty lousy about himself to go internet commando on the Atchesons. I pity him....
Originally Posted by WAM
This whole saga is pretty disgusting and petty. This Al character must feel pretty lousy about himself to go internet commando on the Atchesons. I pity him....

I think ….AL QUAST......from MI....overplayed his hand, thinks he is more important than he is.....probably thought he wasn't getting his ass kissed ...so he was going to teach them a lesson.

how is that teaching moment working out for you......AL QUAST ?...…...GregW...is right...time has run out on coming clean.

rereading what ….AL QUAST from MI wrote....no amount of apologizing would work.....bob
Originally Posted by WAM

I think ….AL QUAST......from MI....overplayed his hand, thinks he is more important than he is.....probably thought he wasn't getting his ass kissed ...so he was going to teach them a lesson.

how is that teaching moment working out for you......AL QUAST ?...…...GregW...is right...time has run out on coming clean.

rereading what ….AL QUAST from MI wrote....no amount of apologizing would work.....bob

I think he is from Minnesota at least that's what is profile says.

mch….thanks for the correction......I was going by what I read in the acthesons post.

if this is the case......I want to apologize to MI...……….see how easy that is.....bob

mch….thanks for the correction......I was going by what I read in the acthesons post.

if this is the case......I want to apologize to MI...……….see how easy that is.....bob

Maybe he is from MI I just saw under name the location on here.

I know neither the hunter or the company. Sounds like the first line of the OP's post clarifies everything after hearing from the other side.

1. He did not book through them.
2. He accused them of lying.

He lied to all regarding the first point. Kinda makes anything else he says suspect...end of story.
I did not have sex with that woman....

What difference does it make?......

What emails? We were only talking about our grandchildren.....
I think it is about time that this thread is deleted and the OP banned at least for a short time

Oh, and I've been around...just in a lurker capacity.

Still lurking Al?
I think it is about time that this thread is deleted and the OP banned at least for a short time

I wouldn’t delete it and I wouldn’t ban him. Make him own it. Banning him is the easy way out for Al and Keith is pure class in his response and shows why people should use him for their bookings

Al is making Safariman look like a saint

You know I at first agreed that this post should be deleted. However I have changed my opinion. I think this is a great post for Jack Atcheson & Sons. It shows their professionalism, Integrity, and Honesty.

As far as YukonAl being banned I agree.

I wouldn’t delete it and I wouldn’t ban him. Make him own it. Banning him is the easy way out for Al and Keith is pure class in his response and shows why people should use him for their bookings

Al is making Safariman look like a saint

agree 100%...….his new handle should be SJ......safariman junior...…...bob

I have used Keith Atcheson and was completely happy with his services. I would use him again without hesitation.
Where's Big Al?
Originally Posted by Sako76
Where's Big Al?

Al has shown is true character and what a coward he is. He won't be back on here. He knows he F_cked up and isn't man enough to admit it and apologize.

if he is on any other forums....this will probably follow him...….bob
He was last on the fire yesterday. So he is lurking. What a POS!
his brother and he filled bull elk tags first day and then complain.

Al there is a fenced bull elk hunt in
Oklahoma.

more up your alley

https://www.nomercyhunting.com/guided-hunts-in-oklahoma/elk-hunts/
Originally Posted by Sako76
Where's Big Al?

moved to the Yukon?
I’m sure after a week or so to think about it Al will be along directly to take ownership and offer apologies whistle
I’m sure after a week or so to think about it Al will be along directly to take ownership and offer apologies whistle

Yeah good luck with that. Al has shown his true colors. 100% Pink belly POS.

I never really knew anything about Jack Atcheson and Son until I read this thread. I mean I heard of them but that was it. I would certainly do business with them if I were looking for something they offered.

I never really knew anything about Jack Atcheson and Son until I read this thread. I mean I heard of them but that was it. I would certainly do business with them if I were looking for something they offered.

You should read Jack's book. Outstanding read. He tried hunting tigers when he was in Korea during the war. Sad that many things and places he hunted are no longer possible.

You should read Jack's book. Outstanding read. He tried hunting tigers when he was in Korea during the war. Sad that many things and places he hunted are no longer possible.

I will look it up. Thank you
Originally Posted by CougeeMcNugitz
Agreed...

w/out going into Detail, They definitely have progressed backwards over the last several Years.....

It's okay. It's like, raise down the window.

You're going to the deep end of dog-poo pond for this lie.
Kind of sounds like taking Al hunting would be bad for your blood pressure. Good to know.

Tanner
Originally Posted by Tanner
Kind of sounds like taking Al hunting would be bad for your blood pressure. Good to know.

Tanner

From what I’ve heard since this blew up in his face you’re absolutely correct.

Absolutely stunning what he tried to do to Keith. Keith ought to fly out to whatever ice fishing hut Al’s sitting in and knock his fuggin teeth out

Tanner

Absolutely stunning what he tried to do to Keith. Keith ought to fly out to whatever ice fishing hut Al’s sitting in and knock his fuggin teeth out

Neah, Keith is bigger than that and has shown it here. I am sure he would love to but I believe he is a better man than that.

Tanner

Neah, Keith is bigger than that and has shown it here. I am sure he would love to but I believe he is a better man than that.

Theres no question he's a better man
ttt
ttt
Agree that the best thing is to keep this thread alive, not delete it.

Lots of good info.

And, it rights a wrong.

DF
What a load of horsechit after several generations of hard work by a family that seems to me, what I read here, built a good business by taking care of their customers and treating them right, makes me want to find something to shoot, and hire them to set it up.
Al ?????

frown

One conversation doesn’t mean I know him but still, you can get the grain of a man — I found Keith friendly, honest, conversant. If you can “hit it off” on a brief talk, we probably did.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

One conversation doesn’t mean I know him but still, you can get the grain of a man — I found Keith friendly, honest, conversant. If you can “hit it off” on a brief talk, we probably did.

I’d venture that your “gut” on that exchange is valid. I’d go with your accessment of the essence and character of the man, positive until proven otherwise.

Bad news travels faster than good news.

A negative report is not unlike a fired bullet, hard to un-fire it.

DF
want to find out if this is a good guide service ? start a go-fund-me and send me on a hunt with this guide service. i am neutral either way so we can get to the bottom of this. one way or another ?? Pete53
ttt
Originally Posted by pete53
want to find out if this is a good guide service ? start a go-fund-me and send me on a hunt with this guide service.

Go Fund Yourself.
ROR !!

grin
want to find out if this is a good guide service ? start a go-fund-me and send me on a hunt with this guide service. i am neutral either way so we can get to the bottom of this. one way or another ?? Pete53

Pete you never leave any doubt that you are a total azzhat. Your post was in poor taste, it is bad enough that a moron started this stupid thread in the first place.
I booked a Montana Mule Deer Hunt through Atcheson & Sons back in 1999. Shot one that scored 187 with a broken main beam on one side. I was EXTREMELY PLEASED.
Couldn’t have asked for a better hunt!!!
I met Keith some years ago in the field. He was guiding some nonresident gentlemen in the “breaks” country. I actually gave one of his clients a lift. Keith asked me for basic info for which I was happy to oblige to help. He was respectful, well mannered and thankful for what I could offer. When a person represents himself as such I return his respect. MTG
Has All ever replied?
Of course not!
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Has All ever replied?

After the azz kicking he took, hiding probably his best option.

DF
I have a friend that has hunted with Keith probably five or six times-he has nothing but good things to say about Keith and his operation.
Pretty good testimony, when you keep hunting with the same outfit...
ttt
I've been watching this thread from the beginning waiting for Al to respond. It has become abundantly obvious that he is lacking in the class department.
Originally Posted by ammoman16
I've been watching this thread from the beginning waiting for Al to respond. It has become abundantly obvious that he is lacking in the class department.

he is plain and simply a liar and a slandering individual...………..bob
Yup.
It would be best to own it and move on,we all make mistakes,it's how we fix 'em that counts.
Originally Posted by rong
It would be best to own it and move on,we all make mistakes,it's how we fix 'em that counts.

Yep
Don't appear there's been any 'fixing' going on here.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22

^^^^^ yes, someones reputation was slandered and the slanderer has not come forward
Originally Posted by huntsman22

^^^^^ yes, someones reputation was slandered and the slanderer has not come forward

al checks in from time to time......he has no intention of being honest...….bob
ttt
Bump
OP, do you have anything you care to add to your post?
TAG
TTT
Why keep this disgusting thread going, seems like a lot of personal butt hurt involved.
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Why keep this disgusting thread going, seems like a lot of personal butt hurt involved.

I don't think anyone is butt hurt. More like slandering someone's business is just plan wrong. Yukonal should come on and publicly apologize.

why ..in your opinion is this a.....disgusting thread ?...….bob
ttt

why ..in your opinion is this a.....disgusting thread ?...….bob

Disgusting in the sense that YA did an unethical thing by bypassing the broker/booking agent and expecting to get the same deal cheaper going directly to the rancher. Very bad of him to blame the broker/booking agent for to him having a bad outcome. Eight pages of bashing YA mostly by the same individuals is enough said. I find it distasteful to continue to resurrect the thread to bash the dead horse. It sounds like to me that this represents more virtue signaling than information going forward especially since the OP seems to have gotten the message and has not responded since the beginning.
YA doesn't deserve a break on this until he develops the stones to come back on here and explain himself. Time to man up.
I've booked hunts with Atchesons several times and discussed others with them many times. I have always been treated with the utmost respect and professionalism no matter who I dealt with in the Atcheson operation. They are in the business of fair chase hunting with no guarantees. They are very clear about that. Atchesons cannot control the weather, the hunting conditions, the outfitter, the guides....etc, etc..... All they can do is try to put a client in the best place for success. Much is up to the hunter once the hunt is booked and begins. A positive attitude and determination to put maximum effort into the experience by the hunter makes all the difference. Pissin and moaning on the internet and running down a good company on a public forum is LOW CLASS plain and simple. If there was an issue with Atchesons it should have been handled directly with them not on the internet. 163BC
YA doesn't deserve a break on this until he develops the stones to come back on here and explain himself. Time to man up.

he still checks in......bob

Good luck with that.
TTT
JUST LET IT GO , it makes both parties look bad
JUST LET IT GO , it makes both parties look bad

No it doesn't...
It makes Atcheson look pretty good, IMHO.

+1

DF

ttt……..pete53 request...…….bob
I have booked several hunts in the last 15 years through Keith including 2 Alaskan hunts, UT, WY, BC, and a safari to Zimbabwe. I have nothing but good things to say about the Atcheson family and Keith in particular. Everything they have ever presented to me has been exactly as described and they have gone to great lengths to provide options that were exactly what I was looking for. I can't imagine a more respectable or knowledgeable agent to book a hunt with. Contrary to this despicable post, I would not consider booking a hunt without going through Atcheson and Sons.
Stupid thread, time to get rid of it.

Let it go.

Hi Keith,

Al Quast

Yep time to put it to bed, no apologies coming from the looks of things.
Originally Posted by SU35
Stupid thread, time to get rid of it.

Let it go.

Yup!
Oh, I don't know. 'til "Al" does right, a wrong is done. Lettin' him off the hook serves no purpose. Continuing to set the record straight is always a right choice. Besides, maybe it serves as a warning to the next potential "Al" that's thinking of slandering an upstanding family business.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Oh, I don't know. 'til "Al" does right, a wrong is done. Lettin' him off the hook serves no purpose. Continuing to set the record straight is always a right choice. Besides, maybe it serves as a warning to the next potential "Al" that's thinking of slandering an upstanding family business.

Tom

al has been on the Africa forum...….and has exclaimed surprise about my comments directed at him...…..bob
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

al has been on the Africa forum...….and has exclaimed surprise about my comments directed at him...…..bob

Yep, Al has played the ignorant card. Has no clue what Bob is alluding to.
Guys, sorry for bringing this thread up again. I didn't even know it was alive since the beginning of March. I had no idea all this posting was going on. And Drum...wow! A link to this thread was just brought to my attention. I thought it was dead 3 months ago.

I don't feel I slandered anyone. I only said I had a hunt that did not turn out the way I was told it would. Please read my first post on this thread.

Also, I didn't know that I DIDN'T go thru Atchesons. I thought I did, after I hunted with the outfit they recommended. I hunted with the outfit they told me to, and told them I booked the hunt with them before I went. Then afterwards, I told them about the hunt so that they could get their commission. I even told the place I hunted that I was going thru Atchesons. Hope that clears that up. Don't know where the going behind their back came from.

I'll give you guys the shortened version, since everyone thinks I owe an explanation.

When we got there, the guide we were told by A&Sons we would be hunting with, had been fired. The horses were rented from another ranch, as the ones at our camp were so worn out, the guide said he couldn't use them...the horses familiar with that ranch.The hunt was booked as a horseback hunt. We rode horses up the first morning. They were on the verge of out of control. We stayed on the mountain all day (4 of us) so that the other 3 hunters could hunt up there for the evening hunt.

2 other hunters got their elk that night. The guide made us leave the elk on the mountain that night, to recover the next day. He asked all 4 of us if we wanted to ride back down the way we came up, or walk the horses down a steep incline (45 degree, and sometimes steeper) which would be shorter. All in the dark. We all said that we wanted to ride back out. The guide then told us we were going to walk the horses down...2 miles down. The horses slid down probably 1/4 of the way. One of the older hunters fell down several times, and hurt his leg.

The next day they wouldn't let us go with them to recover our elk. We had to stay in camp. My brother and I told the guide to let us know when they got his elk back to camp, as we were going to butcher both for our trip back home. I gave the guide a brand new elk game bag kit, and asked him to put the quarters in it. Later that day, after not hearing from anyone, we drove a mile and a half down the road to the barn, and my brothers WHOLE elk was hanging from a tractor, in the sun, covered with flies. No game bag, not quartered.

This is just the condensed version. All of these things were discussed with Keith over the phone, and he acted like it was no big deal. This is what I meant by the "horseback hunt" being misrepresented.

The other part to this saga...is the grizzly hunting. I called A& Sons several years ago, and put my name on a grizzly cancellation hunt list. I called 3 times a year for 2 years, every time after they emailed their client list that a hunt had come up. Every time I called, the hunt had been sold. The third year, I called again in the beginning of the year to keep in contact and let them know I still wanted to do it. The second time that year that I received the client email that a cancellation hunt came up, I again called to book, but the hunt had again been sold. I had my name on a waiting list for 3 years, and they never ONCE called me to sell me ANY of the cancellation hunts. The last time I told Keith that I wasn't happy about the way he handled that. He raised his voice and said, "why don't you stop bitching, and just book a bear hunt?"

I don't think I have to give any more details than that. I think this gives you an idea where I'm coming from. I apologize to you guys for not chiming in sooner, I really didn't know this thread was still going. I wish somebody wold have pm'ed me. But, apologize to Keith...no way. I think the apology should be to me.

Really Drum...banned?

10 years I've never bashed anyone on this forum. Made several posts helping people when I could. Made a lot of friends here, and never tried to hurt anyone.
Yukonal

There are always three sides to every story. Your side, their side, and the truth.

First off you cut a check to the outfitter and not JA&S. You know that, they know that, and we know that. As both parties agree to that!

Second they are a booking agency. They can't control everything that does or doesn't happen on a trip. For someone as boisterous as you, why weren't you that way with the guide right then and there?

Your b_tch and post should have if at all been at the outfitter!

I can not question either of you on what happened with the Bear Hunt or lack of. But dam if you get butt hurt over him telling you to just book a hunt you are thin skinned.

Just my opinion but this wasn't the place to take this in the manner you did.

In my opinion you do owe them an apology.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, booking agents, travel agencies, and all other middle men are not responsible for anything not in writing on a signed contract. If you don’t have reliable references, you are just waiting for trouble when booking anything, especially hunting and fishing trips. Buyer beware!
Originally Posted by WAM
If you haven’t figured it out by now, booking agents, travel agencies, and all other middle men are not responsible for anything not in writing on a signed contract.

Especially if you don’t pay them. If you hear about a hunt from an agent and go directly to the hunt they recommended without paying the agent, you have nothing to do with the agent except that you screwed them.
Guys, sorry for bringing this thread up again. I didn't even know it was alive since the beginning of March. I had no idea all this posting was going on. And Drum...wow! A link to this thread was just brought to my attention. I thought it was dead 3 months ago.

I don't feel I slandered anyone. I only said I had a hunt that did not turn out the way I was told it would. Please read my first post on this thread.

Also, I didn't know that I DIDN'T go thru Atchesons. I thought I did, after I hunted with the outfit they recommended. I hunted with the outfit they told me to, and told them I booked the hunt with them before I went. Then afterwards, I told them about the hunt so that they could get their commission. I even told the place I hunted that I was going thru Atchesons. Hope that clears that up. Don't know where the going behind their back came from.

I'll give you guys the shortened version, since everyone thinks I owe an explanation.

When we got there, the guide we were told by A&Sons we would be hunting with, had been fired. The horses were rented from another ranch, as the ones at our camp were so worn out, the guide said he couldn't use them...the horses familiar with that ranch.The hunt was booked as a horseback hunt. We rode horses up the first morning. They were on the verge of out of control. We stayed on the mountain all day (4 of us) so that the other 3 hunters could hunt up there for the evening hunt.

2 other hunters got their elk that night. The guide made us leave the elk on the mountain that night, to recover the next day. He asked all 4 of us if we wanted to ride back down the way we came up, or walk the horses down a steep incline (45 degree, and sometimes steeper) which would be shorter. All in the dark. We all said that we wanted to ride back out. The guide then told us we were going to walk the horses down...2 miles down. The horses slid down probably 1/4 of the way. One of the older hunters fell down several times, and hurt his leg.

The next day they wouldn't let us go with them to recover our elk. We had to stay in camp. My brother and I told the guide to let us know when they got his elk back to camp, as we were going to butcher both for our trip back home. I gave the guide a brand new elk game bag kit, and asked him to put the quarters in it. Later that day, after not hearing from anyone, we drove a mile and a half down the road to the barn, and my brothers WHOLE elk was hanging from a tractor, in the sun, covered with flies. No game bag, not quartered.

This is just the condensed version. All of these things were discussed with Keith over the phone, and he acted like it was no big deal. This is what I meant by the "horseback hunt" being misrepresented.

The other part to this saga...is the grizzly hunting. I called A& Sons several years ago, and put my name on a grizzly cancellation hunt list. I called 3 times a year for 2 years, every time after they emailed their client list that a hunt had come up. Every time I called, the hunt had been sold. The third year, I called again in the beginning of the year to keep in contact and let them know I still wanted to do it. The second time that year that I received the client email that a cancellation hunt came up, I again called to book, but the hunt had again been sold. I had my name on a waiting list for 3 years, and they never ONCE called me to sell me ANY of the cancellation hunts. The last time I told Keith that I wasn't happy about the way he handled that. He raised his voice and said, "why don't you stop bitching, and just book a bear hunt?"

I don't think I have to give any more details than that. I think this gives you an idea where I'm coming from. I apologize to you guys for not chiming in sooner, I really didn't know this thread was still going. I wish somebody wold have pm'ed me. But, apologize to Keith...no way. I think the apology should be to me.

Really Drum...banned?

10 years I've never bashed anyone on this forum. Made several posts helping people when I could. Made a lot of friends here, and never tried to hurt anyone.

We all know after your bitch fest OP you checked in or else you wouldn't have made it. You didn't post as it didn't go your way. Don't play stupid. Makes you look worse.
booking agents and guide services all only want thing your money,they could care less about the hunter who spent his hard earned money.
booking agents and guide services all only want thing your money,they could care less about the hunter who spent his hard earned money.

Mighty broad brush... I have known more than a bunch and only a couple came close to your description.

Really Drum...banned?

10 years I've never bashed anyone on this forum. Made several posts helping people when I could. [b]Made a lot of friends here, and never tried to hurt anyone. [/b]

Until you tried to burn a man’s business and his fathers legacy with a directed attack that should never have been penned here.

As already posted - you’ve been sulking around for months on the Fire...Saying you were recently made aware of the dissenting opinions from members by a “Link” passed to you shows your lack of integrity and actual intelligence thinking this would suffice as your excuse for not responding to the schit show you ignited...

I own a small business and this is the same chicken schit behavior I’ve seen attempted by a very small amount of customers who attempt to extort funds on projects with threats of social warfare when the final bill is giving to them...

Unfortunately for these types of people in this world, I’am that kind of owner who always makes the time to find my way to small claims court for full payment and liens against their property if necessary...😎
I really hate to bring this thread up again but I will not let these lies go unanswered.

“Al Quast per 06/25/2019 thread”

“All of these things were discussed with Keith over the phone, and he acted like it was no big deal.”

“The last time I told Keith that I wasn't happy about the way he handled that. He raised his voice and said, "why don't you stop bitching, and just book a bear hunt?"

FACT: I wrote him the following.

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bear hunts

Al

I’m on a plane headed to AK. I'm sorry I did not contact you first. Honestly it’s been quite a while since we talked. Not intentional I assure you. I talk to a lot of people. Instead of complaining and blaming me you could remind me of your interest prior to upcoming seasons. I’m not a mind reader. Why not jump on one of these hunts as they are open right now. My office will have the outfitter names and phone numbers and info to you shortly. You should call them asap to discuss I suggest.

Keith Atcheson

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact: No such phone conversations have ever taken place. Quast has never called me about the hunt he booked direct with the outfitter after the hunt took place. Additionally, there was no subsequent phone conversation 15 months later where I “raised my voice”. Absolute 100% lies and more fabrication.

All this initiated by a subject whom I have never met nor done any business. You can't make this stuff up except on the internet.

On the positive side, this thread has led to a number of good hunt inquires and real business. How ironic!
Sounds like Ole Al is diggin' a deeper hole...…..what a shame!!

"Also, I didn't know that I DIDN'T go thru Atchesons. I thought I did, after I hunted with the outfit they recommended. I hunted with the outfit they told me to, and told them I booked the hunt with them before I went. Then afterwards, I told them about the hunt so that they could get their commission. I even told the place I hunted that I was going thru Atchesons. Hope that clears that up. Don't know where the going behind their back came from."

[You didn't book through what is essentially a travel agent, and then thought you did? When I price a flight through Expedia and then book online with Southwest, I don't blame Expedia if the flight is messed up.]

The next day they wouldn't let us go with them to recover our elk. We had to stay in camp.

[So the Group couldn't ride the horses and couldn't negotiate the walk, but got upset when they werent asked to go along back down the same trail only now carrying several hundred pounds of meat?

[You don't enterain the possibility that maybe some one had been on the waiting list for more than your 2 years and was ahead of you in line, or that someone could've called or emailed "I'll take it" a few minutes before you?

I'm still pretty upset that no bigly discounted sheep hunts have been offered to me,

full price is for losers,

just like accepting fire sale discounts, based on savings, rather than quality or outfitter ratings.
I really hate to bring this thread up again but I will not let these lies go unanswered.

“Al Quast per 06/25/2019 thread”

“All of these things were discussed with Keith over the phone, and he acted like it was no big deal.”

“The last time I told Keith that I wasn't happy about the way he handled that. He raised his voice and said, "why don't you stop bitching, and just book a bear hunt?"

FACT: I wrote him the following.

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bear hunts

Al

I’m on a plane headed to AK. I'm sorry I did not contact you first. Honestly it’s been quite a while since we talked. Not intentional I assure you. I talk to a lot of people. Instead of complaining and blaming me you could remind me of your interest prior to upcoming seasons. I’m not a mind reader. Why not jump on one of these hunts as they are open right now. My office will have the outfitter names and phone numbers and info to you shortly. You should call them asap to discuss I suggest.

Keith Atcheson

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact: No such phone conversations have ever taken place. Quast has never called me about the hunt he booked direct with the outfitter after the hunt took place. Additionally, there was no subsequent phone conversation 15 months later where I “raised my voice”. Absolute 100% lies and more fabrication.

All this initiated by a subject whom I have never met nor done any business. You can't make this stuff up except on the internet.

On the positive side, this thread has led to a number of good hunt inquires and real business. How ironic!

Keith,

I only know of you in passing and we exchanged a couple of emails re the Montana Unlimited Sheep hunt a decade ago. I have never spent money with you nor have you provided me service that I have paid for so I am impartial in this.

Thanks for participating in this thread though usually I would say keeping a thread going is bad for everyone being mentioned. In this case, is obvious to me and several others that the OP hunter is someone I never want to be in camp with ever. I prefer to be around people that have enough self-reflection to see when they screwed up and admit as much. We all know someone who is always screwed over for no fault of their own though we also know they do stupid stuff to win those stupid prizes. Oh, I am such a victim. Again.

Let's see. OP booked direct after consulting with you and he knew this meant there was zero business relationship being created that involved you. Zilch. And, you were out any recourse for a commission on the deal. Because, you know, OP decided to directly contract with the outfitter. Not with you. By choice. This is an adult who did this and is sophisticated enough to know about contracts and commissions in the hunting industry.

This is the same as me going over to Home Depot and talking up the tool section manager to find out what might be the impact hammer drill he would suggest for me to use and then I go on Amazon and buy the same hammer drill which then bursts into flames so I now go to Home Depot for a warranty claim and insurance claim. We all know what Home Depot would say, "Sir, are you having a stroke because nothing you are saying makes sense as to why Home Depot is a party to your misfortune. Good. Day."

Hope you have a fantastic 2019 and an even better 2020 with some great clients.

Lyle
hammer drill this one to death.....
Don’t worry fellas, Al send me a PM a couple weeks ago letting me know I should have come sent him a PM letting him know that this thread had been bumped before commenting. Al, you have a PM

I’m sure he’ll be along shortly
Don’t worry fellas, Al send me a PM a couple weeks ago letting me know I should have come sent him a PM letting him know that this thread had been bumped before commenting. Al, you have a PM

I’m sure he’ll be along shortly

Right!

Don't hold your breathe.

Al has behaved like a person who cuts a real stinker in a crowded elevator and is hoping the stench dissipates before anyone notices. Ostrich syndrome. Stick your head in the sand and hope the threat goes away

Al has behaved like a person who cuts a real stinker in a crowded elevator and is hoping the stench dissipates before anyone notices.

Your comment makes it sound like you think there's something wrong with that?? I'd agree, much better to exit the elevator beore the stench dissipates. Leave 'em casting sidelong glances at each other, wondering whodunit.

Al has behaved like a person who cuts a real stinker in a crowded elevator and is hoping the stench dissipates before anyone notices.

Your comment makes it sound like you think there's something wrong with that?? I'd agree, much better to exit the elevator before the stench dissipates. Leave 'em casting sidelong glances at each other, wondering whodunit.

Reminds me of Benjamin Disraeli, the Jewish Prime Minister of England in the mid 1800's. He was quoted as saying, "Never complain, never explain".

Henry Ford II was caught by a camera crew, coming out of a fancy hotel with a blonde on this arm (for sure not his wife). When asked what he had to say, he quoted Disraeli, got in his waiting lemo and they drove off... wink

I like your "fart in the elevator" strategy. Works for me...

Or like the guy in church, let a big one go, led his small son out by the hand. Now, who was gonna believe that small lad could produce a "bass fiddle" quality fart... blush

DF
Well, you deplorable jerks, I guess Al won’t respond and given that he wanted me to relay a message I’ll just quote this from the PM’s. I normally consider it poor form to post a private message but he wanted this conveyed so I’ll post just these

As per your previous request you should know that Atcheson has responded to you on your thread where you tried to ruin him

Perhaps you could do me a small favor. If some of the jerks that keep climbing on me keep trying to call me out, you can remind them that I am no longer here...to argue with them. End of an era.

Thanks Drum, best luck in the future,

Al

Drum,
I guess you didn't understand what I was saying. I will not respond to that thread, or any other thread. I am logging off, and leaving the campfire.

.....Why didn't you send me a pm, or text me to let me know what was happening?

Just following through with your request. You can handle it any way you like but it’s probably best to just go away. Keith keeps his emails and thats probably not a good thing for you in this situation. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword..... isn’t that what you told him?

I think the fact that he’s walking away tells us what we’ve all known since Atcheson’s first response to this thread. I don’t know a guy that’s willing to walk away if he were on the right side of the truth. Sad deal really. Actually sad doesn’t really sum it up, pathetic is a better word. At least he didn’t give us a “I’m leaving” thread so he’s got that going for him
Seriously folks, who really gives a damn about YukonAl or this whole stinking thread? Happy Trails
Well, he was just on 51 minutes ago !

yukonal Online - Content
From MN
Joined 03/04/08
Last Seen 51 minutes ago
Total Posts 3,239 (Campfire Guide)
Posts Per Day 0.781

Probably to check in again, incognito !!

wink
I care about this thread. It's my favorite thread on the fire. I'm sad to see Al Queda go.

Glad to see something positive came from this cluster f**k
After reading through this drama, it seems clear that the OP is either very confused or a hack. In either case he is most definitely frustrated via disappointment because his hunt did not yield the results he had hoped for. Which also appears to rest squarely at his feet and no one else. Typical
Being a DIY hunter mostly and thus never having used a Guide Service or Guide(after being burned), if I were so inclined, Atcheson & Sons would be a consideration.

On the other hand, there are a lot of sheisters, who call themselves "Guides". It is painfully clear to me that there are many Guide Services that have taken hunters for a long ride- on a regular basis. Whether they are guide services short on guides and thus hire out to contractors who may or may not be skilled at their craft or simply glorified salesmen, selling hunts.It happens every year.

In light of this fact, perhaps a "sticky" could be started wherein everyone posts their hunt, Guide and experience to act as an accountability tool of sorts. The Accountability Standard works both ways in that it holds the Guide, Guide Service and Booking Agents to absolute integrity as well as the Client in his/her evaluation of Service type. Consider the individual YukonAl for instance. His claim has been debunked, the Booking Agent has been exonerated, and probably enjoying an uptick in business.

My .02
© 24hourcampfire