Home
Posted By: Beaver10 Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
I’ve heard stories of ranchers “allegedly” shooting a wolf that was adorned with a federal gps necklace. Trouble followed as F&G came to investigate why the woofer stopped plodding along, only to find a recent hole dug on the ranchers land.

Any ideas or suggestions if someone was to “allegedly” shoot a collared wolf....I mean a collared German Shepherd. Wink! 😎
Posted By: jimy Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
I would think any freight train in a storm would work.......
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Cut the head off to remove the collar, tie it to a bundle of sticks, and toss it in the nearest large stream.

Idaho's wolf season is very generous, varying from 6 months to year round in the northern units. We can buy 5 tags although there are some restrictions on how many we use in any one area. During the season, it's legal to shoot collared wolves as long as you return the collar to the IDFG. It's not wise to return the collar from an off-season wolf.
Posted By: hanco Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Throw it in the river
Posted By: VernAK Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Go down to the tavern and put it in someone's pickup box.
Posted By: atse Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’ve heard stories of ranchers “allegedly” shooting a wolf that was adorned with a federal gps necklace. Trouble followed as F&G came to investigate why the woofer stopped plodding along, only to find a recent hole dug on the ranchers land.

Any ideas or suggestions if someone was to “allegedly” shoot a collared wolf....I mean a collared German Shepherd. Wink! 😎

Why would someone burry a wolf with the gps collar still on it? If they are that stupid they deserve to get caught.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
+1
Posted By: wytex Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Just turn it in. Wolves can legally be shot in the right places. If they are a problem then they should be documented so that the entire pack can be dealt with. Our game managers at the state level are very willing to work with landowners over wolf problems, the feds maybe not so much, in Wyoming that is.
It's not illegal to shoot a collared animal, in fact many times G&F hope a collared animal is harvested so that they can get data .
I know how to turn off those collars, it's not rocket science.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
No idea...Wasn’t my story. I just heard this story before a few times. 😎

Wait...Wasn’t it illegal everywhere to shoot a wolf in the lower 48 when they were reintroduced initially? Likely why the gps in a deep hole originated from.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
If you're asking a serious question ... if it's on your property, you're screwed. The GPS trace will show the wolf going along doing normal wolf-type things, then after it's shot and you are trying to dispose of the collar, doing very non-wolf things. They'll trace back to where those converge and if it's on your property, you're [bleep]. The feds are pretty damned good at forensic investigations. They'll find blood, hair, bone bits using tools like UV lights you and I don't have ready access to.

If a wolf was shot on my property I'd want a really good alibi for being somewhere else when it happened ... like in court, or getting a speeding ticket 300 miles away, some situation where law enforcement is providing the documentation of my alibi, not just a regular person and not just my own word on the matter.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
If you're asking a serious question ... if it's on your property, you're screwed. The GPS trace will show the wolf going along doing normal wolf-type things, then after it's shot and you are trying to dispose of the collar, doing very non-wolf things. They'll trace back to where those converge and if it's on your property, you're [bleep]. The feds are pretty damned good at forensic investigations. They'll find blood, hair, bone bits using tools like UV lights you and I don't have ready access to.

If a wolf was shot on my property I'd want a really good alibi for being somewhere else when it happened ... like in court, or getting a speeding ticket 300 miles away, some situation where law enforcement is providing the documentation of my alibi, not just a regular person and not just my own word on the matter.

Tom

This ^^^^^ Thank you TOM. 😎
Posted By: pete53 Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
collared wolves can be shot legally out west in some western states during the state`s wolf hunting season.i buy a wolf license every year in Montana just in case I see a wolf during the season.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
Pretty hard to prove if they can't find the wolf carcass or the collar. [bleep] happens.
Do those trackers have clocks? If so, you don't want to shoot an illegal one and move it with your truck or ATV any faster than a wolf will normally move. A wolf running 8 miles at 50 MPH would be a dead giveaway.
These stories came from my wife’s uncle who is a long retired F&G employee. He’d retired years before the wolf releases happened but has friends at F&G he stayed in contact with who would tell him what was going on at work....A fisherman poached an over sized sturgeon in the 75-80 year old fish range. Fish had a gps implant. State Police followed the fish from Bonneville Dam where it was poached via the gps and pulled the dude over on I-5 interstate...The Trooper asked if he had a fish in his truck..Guy said, Nope. And the search began until fish was recovered and he got fined back into the Stone Age by a judge for killer a huge protected sturgeon.
😎
A fish trotting down I-84 would be a bit more suspicious than a wolf following a river bank.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
It depends on the collar. Some GPS collars will track movements, but the information can only be downloaded once the collar has been retrieved. Others transmit locality data periodically to a satellite from which the information can be downloaded to a computer. Still other collars simply transmit a radio signal that allows biologists using a receiver and portable antenna to locate the animal at regular intervals or when they just want to know where it is. Most collars these days do transmit a mortality signal to alert trackers when the animal has died.

Illegally shooting a collared animal that is protected during a closed season, or an animal for which there is no open season, is likely to net you some hefty fines and the loss of your hunting privileges, especially if it is a federally listed species. Kind of pricey way to gain notoriety at the local tavern.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
If you shoot a wolf in AZ they will rain hell on you worse than any child molester is treated- unfortunate but true. Best thing is the get the collar away from the wolf and get the wolf away from the spot where it was killed. Best thing is to throw it in a river.

One of the Arizona collars ended up in Iowa- courtesy of a tractor -trailer headed that way!
If AZ wants to keep those collars, we'll gladly send you a bunch from ID, wolves included.
Guys, that’s what I was figuring I’d eventually hear...I would be very tempted to bust a wolf if I saw one. Downside, if it turned into a dead wolf with a necklace...All kinds of bad things could happen to a fella. That would not be worth it to me. Sadly, Mr. Wolf would get a pass from me.

Mudhen ,Tom. You see the potential for problems. RockChuck, you see it too. I feel for you RC being where these killers are more abundant...Oregon has them. It’s only time before they get to where I hunt. 😎
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/23/18
A lot of wolves get killed here but people don't talk about it.

They have spent Millions and Millions on the Mexican gray wolf reintroduction. At one point they had a person assigned to every single collared wolf. We found one in the bank of the irrigation ditch in Eagar one time. Feds came out, took a glance at it and saw that it had no collar and was obviously displaced from the original kill location. They didn't even take it. The guy who lived there asked them what they were going to do with it. They told him it wasn't their problem but that if he touched it, it was a felony. It got kicked back into the ditch to wash up somewhere further down the line!
Posted By: las Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by VernAK

C'mon Vern. Be nice.

Pick a Subaru. Preferably one with a PETA sticker.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/24/18

I would just have to wait until I found a rig with a Hitlery sticker... But thanks for the idea!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by las

C'mon Vern. Be nice.

Pick a Subaru. Preferably one with a PETA sticker.

You beat me to it...
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
Collars have a temperature sensor, once the temp starts going down they know the animal is deceased. If you take the collar off the temp goes down real quick.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
My friend here trapped two wolves the first time around when it was legal for maybe a year or less, 2014 I think. Anyway, one had a collar. The morning he found the wolves in the traps there was already a plane in the air. On the way back home, about a 30 mile drive, he was pulled over by our game warden. Even though it was entirely legal to trap the wolves. Warden said he wanted to make sure they got the collar back. He legally had 10 days to even report that he'd taken a wolf.

I don't know if the plane was already in the air and happened to pick up the signal from the collar or if the plane went up because of a mortality signal that the collar was giving off. I think the collars send out a mortality signal after so many hours of not moving. Maybe being in a trap will set off that signal.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
I'm not sure with the collars they use here if there's actually a mortality signal that is different or if it's just a lack of motion on the GPS sensors ... I would suspect the latter because the former would take more complicated circuitry and more battery draw. Batteries going dead is a major problem for long term tracking and anything that reduces battery life is to be avoided. At least one of the wolves here has a collar that has gone silent and they can't catch him without it to refresh the batteries. Catch-22 .. or at least no-catch-wolf.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
We have wolves here as well. They arn't appreciated by the folks running bear dogs and several dogs are lost each year to wolves. According to our DNR they can't be shot in the defense of your hunting dog. I'm an avid bird hunter and I hunt in wolf country. Luckily the only ones I've seen have been while in the truck and even a fast stomp of the gas pedal wasn't able to catch them. If it come to a choice between my bird dog and the wolf the wolf will get it every time. We have some collard ones as well as some that have a chip implanted into them.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
Three guys here in New Jersey illegally shot a black bear, it had a collar. They took the collar and nailed to a board and put it in a river (The Paulinskill). The Fish & Game guys were confused that the collar was moving along the river but the temperature of the animal was showing some low temperature (it was November or December), remember, a bear is warm blooded and should show a high temperature. The F & G guys found the collar on the board, back tracked using the GPS data until they found the kill site and did some old fashion investigating and found the three violators (one was a convicted felon who squealed like a pig).
Posted By: atse Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/02/18
Radio collars give off a mortality signal only after the collar does not move for a period of 24 hrs. The vhf collars have a mercury switch in them. GPS collars may keep working, but if the coordinates cease to change for over a day or two then there is a fair chance the wolf is dead, or has shed the collar. Sometimes other wolves, particularly pups, will chew them off.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/03/18
Burn everything.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/03/18
Collars I used in the past had captive balls within capsules. Each end of the capsule supported an electrical contact. One capsule was sensitive to left/right movements, and the second fore/aft. When they ceased accumulating counts for at least a 24 hour period, the mortality signal would launch. One could just as easily write code to assess movements via GPS integrations, but that might issue a false positive if an animal was denned up and/or a unit was not getting signals.

Has some similar instruments in the past and recovered a couple that had been dropped to the ground. Looking at the data, one could tell that something came along every couple of days and knocked them around for a minute or two.

Similarly many years back a buddy had time lapse film cameras out to assess elk use across some extensive grassy mountain slopes. The elk spotted those and kicked a couple of them 4 to 500 yds down slope.
Posted By: viking Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/03/18
This is all kinds of F'ed up. So they will move heaven and earth for a flipping k9. But a killer or rapist, meh.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Wolves with GPS Collars - 04/04/18
The best thing you can do is leave it alone and hope the wolves next dinner is a coyote or a coon. I dont care for the wolves , but only cause they are considered holy from the liberals. Also, if the conservatives would get off their ass and vote we would rid this problem. Here in Wisconsin we had a state supreme court vote today. The liberals were all fired up and the dumb ass conservatives sat home. Guess who's 16% up. If ya really have to shoot a wolf, make sure you are " threatened" by them. Feeling threatened is a judgement call. I felt threatened, it wouldn't run away . I was scared! It kept running at me so I shot it cause I thought it was going to hurt me . If I see a wolf in the woods and it is close, or seems dangerous or threatening, I think I could shoot it legally, but I just aint going to shoot it in the asssz when it's running away. Sure is a lot of big talk right on a public message board. Not the smartest to say you would SSS. on a public board. Go to trial and think they wont use this thread against you ?
© 24hourcampfire