Home
Posted By: nimrod1949 Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Who else got lucky?

I’m going to get to hunt antelope with my dad this year!
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Congratulations! Enjoy and Good Luck! memtb
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18

Put this on the “campfire” earlier....meant to go here!

Looks like we “hit the jackpot”! We (party permit) put in for a late season either ( bull/cow) elk, and late season deer, same hunting area and time as the elk, and were successful. But, it don’t end there ... we applied for late season cow/calf (in case we failed on the bull license), and yep... we got that also. Looks like lots of hunting this fall/winter. Now we’ll probably get sick just before hunting season! frown memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Well, I got a little bit lucky in that I did draw my buck antelope tag in my usual unit plus 2 doe tags so I'm glad to be coming back to Wyoming!! But no luck on my deer tag, put in again for unit 34 but the points to draw that one must really be going up. Oh well, there is always next year crazy
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Antlerless Elk and two speed goat tags ( got everything I applied for)
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18

Drew antelope for unit 67 - first antelope hunt for me. Anyone have intell on this they unit want to share? I'll share any big buck sightings with anyone having the unit 90 deer tag. Why can't WYOF&G make all the unit numbers the same across all species? mad
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Didn't make it for antelope again. mad How many preference points does it take these days?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
License Type Results Area/Type
Non-Resident Antelope with Preference Point Option
Successful
009-1
Non-Resident Special Deer With Preference Point Option
Successful
B
NONRESIDENT DOE/FAWN ANTELOPE
Successful
009-6

Mule Deer and Antelope !
Posted By: ingwe Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Successful
009-1
Successful
B
Successful
009-6

Mule Deer and Antelope !

Woot! Woot! laugh
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
My wife and I drew area J deer tags again.
Posted By: catbegone Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Drew a 7-1 elk tag finnaly
Posted By: RNF Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
My hunting partner and I drew 2 NONRESIDENT DOE/FAWN ANTELOPE tags each for unit 47. I ready to start packing for the trip.
Posted By: PHWILLIE Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
My son-in-law, hunting partner and I drew Non-Resident Antelope with Preference Point Option
Successful
009-1
Posted By: JimR Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
I drew buck antelope in unit 95. Applied for doe tags in another unit and failed to draw them.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18

Wife and I both drew Antelope 23-2 and Deer Region C
Posted By: LazyV Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Drew a buck antelope tag and two doe tags. Gonna be a great time. Five guys and a lot of tags.
Posted By: szihn Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Got um all.
Elk, deer and antelope.

I am smiling.
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My wife and I drew area J deer tags again.

Hunt it the last week of Oct for big bucks .
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Drew my first non-res deer tag !
Posted By: CKW Re: Wyoming draw - 06/21/18
Drew two doe/fawn antelope tags this year! Been striking out for the last several years and I'm not getting any younger. Pronghorn are relatively easy hunting for this old coot so am very pleased to finally draw again laugh. They are excellent eating!
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by szihn
Got um all.
Elk, deer and antelope.

I am smiling.

👍 memtb
Posted By: JJWise Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Didn’t put in this year, but I will be buying preference points. Might start trying to stockpile for a couple different states if my wife will let me spend the money!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Why can't WYOF&G make all the unit numbers the same across all species? mad

Wyoming almost seems like they go out of their way to make things confusing.

They really do set hunters up to inadvertently do something wrong.

It doesn't just stop with the different boundaries and unit numbers for different species.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Congrats to all who drew, notta here...

Buddy and I each bought a pref point and applied for a party antelope permit with no sucess. Same unit had 100% success with 1/2 point last year, I guess never can tell. Looking for a plan B, leftover cow elk hunt if we can find something or maybe NE deer.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by T_Inman

It doesn't just stop with the different boundaries and unit numbers for different species.

There are some big general areas for elk that cover several deer areas, and some areas where no antelope tags ,so you could never really get the zones to line up. I guess I am hunting the general areas this year like the common folk................. frown
Posted By: byron Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
MuskegMan, I live in Riverton and have not ever hunted 67, but I and my wife will be hunting 74 just to the East of 67. Been a very wet year so the quality of the animals should be very good. If you drew a type 1 be patient and you should be able to find a really nice buck if that is important to you. Good luck!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by wyoming260

There are some big general areas for elk that cover several deer areas, and some areas where no antelope tags ,so you could never really get the zones to line up. I guess I am hunting the general areas this year like the common folk................. frown

There are some big elk units no doubt....but up near Jackson they're pretty small units, generally. Some units immediately adjacent to each other such as those near Bondurant will have season dates of Sep 26-Oct 31 (any elk), Sep 26-Oct 31 (any elk minus spike) and Oct 15-Oct 31 (bull only). Other nearby units have even different season dates. Then there's the antlered only from this day to this day, then antlerless from that day to that day, then back to any elk for these dates, which can all be different between the units. It's the same herd of elk that gets chased all over the Hoback area between these units...so why have the different season dates ? Is it just so game wardens can be at several different "opening days" in a season? Why the various sex/age restrictions?

Then there's the watershed divides that Wyoming likes to use as boundaries so damn much...Which can be really difficult to determine with twisting and meandering drainages all over the place. Several states use watershed divides, especially in wilderness areas but Wyoming seems to really like them. Then there's the creeks used as boundaries, which generally are OK but at some point at the headwaters the creek bed ceases to exist. You may come to a spring at the headwaters several hundred yards from the ridgeline (or the creek may just peter out), but uphill from that there's no established creek bed so there's a lot of subjectivity of the unit boundaries at the heads of those basins when creeks or rivers are used as unit boundaries. It's almost like they made a deal with OnXmaps to make their products about the only way to reliable know when you're legal up in the high country.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
My son and I drew antelope doe/fawn tags for 83-7. First Wyoming hunt for either of us, will be taking his 7 year old daughter, my grand daughter, along.

Any advice for that unit? Season runs August 15 through November 15.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Who else got lucky?

I’m going to get to hunt antelope with my dad this year!

Hunting with family and good friends is one of life's great pleasures. I don't care what the game is - birds, varmints or small or large edibles.

We got lucky this year. Daughter #1 got a Colorado deer tag and everyone in my family group of four got cow tags for Snake River Ranch, a RFW (Ranching For Wildlife) ranch that has been very productive for us in the past.

We also got lucky in the Wyoming draw. We'll be renting a good portion of the Covered Wagon Inn in Lusk for a weekend. Same family group but with wives and kids/grandkids, plus my hunting buddy for the last 20 years and his family. Ten people (plus a grandkid still in the oven). Five shooters, seven 9-6 antelope doe tags.

Everyone is itching to get to the range.
Posted By: memtb Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18

Amen! I absolutely “hate” the web-site! I’ve called them andd said so. However.....that probably inspires the IT “azzW§&$ “ to make it worse! memtb
Posted By: JSH Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18
I drew a buck and 2 doe antelope for my 2nd choice (actually 1st choice but didn't want to use my points). Looking forward to another October in my favorite state!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Wyoming draw - 06/22/18

Originally Posted by byron
MuskegMan, I live in Riverton and have not ever hunted 67, but I and my wife will be hunting 74 just to the East of 67. Been a very wet year so the quality of the animals should be very good. If you drew a type 1 be patient and you should be able to find a really nice buck if that is important to you. Good luck!

I'll need to bone up on judging horns. I recall driving from Casper to Riverton a few years back for a deer hunt in Unit 125 and remember all the pronghorn visible from the highway. I said: "that's where I where I want to hunt antelope!"
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Wyoming draw - 06/23/18
Originally Posted by RNF
My hunting partner and I drew 2 NONRESIDENT DOE/FAWN ANTELOPE tags each for unit 47. I ready to start packing for the trip.

My wife and I each drew a doe/fawn tag for the area but we did not get "any antelope" tags. My wife and son did not draw extra cow/calf elk tags and I did not draw the deer tag I wanted. It turned out for the better as far as the elk and deer tags go, because the area we would have been hunting for those burned up a week and a half ago.

Then there's the watershed divides that Wyoming likes to use as boundaries so damn much...Which can be really difficult to determine with twisting and meandering drainages all over the place. Several states use watershed divides, especially in wilderness areas but Wyoming seems to really like them. Then there's the creeks used as boundaries, which generally are OK but at some point at the headwaters the creek bed ceases to exist. You may come to a spring at the headwaters several hundred yards from the ridgeline (or the creek may just peter out), but uphill from that there's no established creek bed so there's a lot of subjectivity of the unit boundaries at the heads of those basins when creeks or rivers are used as unit boundaries. It's almost like they made a deal with OnXmaps to make their products about the only way to reliable know when you're legal up in the high country.

That is so true. I try to be super geeky about being sure I am in the right place, and this can be very frustrating. I've even walked into Game and Fish headquarters and gone over their own maps with game wardens. I got the impression that they have to cut some slack on that. Think about the burden of proof. But, relying on the burden of proof is not the way I like to operate. (I don't know what OnXmaps is, BTW.)
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Wyoming draw - 06/23/18
OnXmaps makes the GPS HUNT chips that show you that exact boundaries of hunt units, in addition to physical features such as ridge lines, rivers and roads with their topo overlays.

They're pretty handy, but I generally prefer not to rely on GPS, let alone having yet another thing (plus batteries) to carry around and remember where you last set it.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Wyoming draw - 06/25/18
OnXmaps also provides landowner information. Pretty handy if you need or want access to private land.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Wyoming draw - 06/25/18
I broke my streak in a minor way. The last 2 years I have been 0 for 8. This year I am 2 for 4. Drew a doe antelope and a doe deer
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Wyoming draw - 06/25/18
Reminder - the leftover draw starts today!!
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Wyoming draw - 06/26/18
No luck. Put in for antelope unit 42. Should be able to draw next year I think.

-Jake
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Wyoming draw - 06/27/18

Wife and I drew 23-2 antelope tags which are any antelope. We are now looking to get doe/fawn tags (since they are so much cheaper!).

I am starting to make sense of the types etc, There are lots of 23-7 tags left, I think that is what I need to apply for in the draw, is that right?

Thanks to anyone who can un-confuse me :-)
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming draw - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by Brazos
My son and I drew antelope doe/fawn tags for 83-7. First Wyoming hunt for either of us, will be taking his 7 year old daughter, my grand daughter, along.

Hit it in Sept for best weather and maybe part of the rut. The rut is not necc. for a good hunt but interesting to watch.
Aug is too hot and Oct is fine for the hunting part but weather could be an issue. Late gets you wintering herds and they can be quite large and hard to sneak on.
Posted By: 805 Re: Wyoming draw - 06/27/18
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Wife and I drew 23-2 antelope tags which are any antelope. We are now looking to get doe/fawn tags (since they are so much cheaper!).

I am starting to make sense of the types etc, There are lots of 23-7 tags left, I think that is what I need to apply for in the draw, is that right?

Bob
Type 7 tags usually have restrictions like private land only or different season dates. 23-7 antelope tag is valid on private land only.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Wyoming draw - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Bob
Type 7 tags usually have restrictions like private land only or different season dates. 23-7 antelope tag is valid on private land only.

Thanks 805, I didn't see that anywhere, however we are going on private land, via an outfitter for a combo deer/antelope, we are just picking up an extra antelope doe tag each to fill the freezer while there!
Posted By: Brazos Re: Wyoming draw - 06/28/18
Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by Brazos

Hit it in Sept for best weather and maybe part of the rut. The rut is not necc. for a good hunt but interesting to watch.
Aug is too hot and Oct is fine for the hunting part but weather could be an issue. Late gets you wintering herds and they can be quite large and hard to sneak on.

Thank you.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Wyoming draw - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by ingwe
Successful
009-1
Successful
B
Successful
009-6

Mule Deer and Antelope !

Woot! Woot! laugh

I drew an antlerless antelope tag. So if you show up in antelope camp this fall, Dan, we will get to hunt together again!

I have too many Preference Points to apply for a buck this year. Gonna apply for and (hopefully) hunt down in the Red Desert area next fall with KeithWY, try to get me a Booner buck. I spoke with several outfitters and just didn't connect with any of 'em, so we'll do a DIY hunt where Keith got his big ones in the past.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Wyoming draw - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by ingwe
Successful
009-1
Successful
B
Successful
009-6

Mule Deer and Antelope !

Woot! Woot! laugh

I drew an antlerless antelope tag. So if you show up in antelope camp this fall, Dan, we will get to hunt together again!

I have too many Preference Points to apply for a buck this year. Gonna apply for and (hopefully) hunt down in the Red Desert area next fall with KeithWY, try to get me a Booner buck. I spoke with several outfitters and just didn't connect with any of 'em, so we'll do a DIY hunt where Keith got his big ones in the past.

I'll be at camp for sure! 9/29-10/4
BTW Chewbaca will be coming with me
Posted By: wytex Re: Wyoming draw - 07/11/18
DocRocket make sure you check conditions before you put in next year, things can change drastically over winter.
We have lots of areas that a book pronghorn can be taken.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Wyoming draw - 07/12/18
The leftover draw results where just posted. Looks I was able to score another doe antelope tag for unit 20. Should be a fun time this year!!
Posted By: 222ND Re: Wyoming draw - 07/15/18
Anybody ever hunt cow elk in 66 December or January?
Posted By: lima1seven Re: Wyoming draw - 07/16/18
I wasn’t able to draw during the leftovers either. I must’ve pissed off the game and fish or something.
Posted By: RNF Re: Wyoming draw - 07/20/18
My tags were in the mail this morning. Come on September.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Wyoming draw - 07/21/18
the only tag's we drew where area 72 for speed goat does
© 24hourcampfire