Home
Found this year !!! Looks to be last years bones??? No I will not give the locale, other than Montana!!!
[Linked Image]screenshot pc
I’m gonna guess the rough score at 24” +/- . Definitely will make the book, maybe top 10. Keep that place a secret or every bonehunter in the county will be a stompin all through there.
There are 2 species of Jackelopes. Those antlers came from the eastern Whitetailed jack. Most of them throughout the mountain region are the black tailed variety.
These photos were taken in the spring after they'd shed.

whitetailed
[Linked Image]

blacktailed
[Linked Image]
Always envious of you Judd....now I’ve got another reason
Nice find!

I was about 5 or 6 years old when I saw my first “mounted” Jackalope. It was in Steinberg’s Sporting Goods, in Baton Rouge....and it actually had small Antelope (Pronghorn) Horns. I guess you could say....it was “more” anatomically correct than today’s Jackalope! memtb
I believe that the original Jackalope were a subspecies of Mule Deer.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There are 2 species of Jackelopes. Those antlers came from the eastern Whitetailed jack. Most of them throughout the mountain region are the black tailed variety.
These photos were taken in the spring after they'd shed.

whitetailed
[Linked Image]

blacktailed
[Linked Image]

RC, I think you clearly misidentified the bottom picture. It’s a Mule Jackalope...Grin 😎
I envy you guys out west. Y'all have all the cool stuff!
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Louisiana ain’t doing too bad....gators, nutria rats, crawfish, the Atchafalya Basin, boudin (red and white), Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival, and the list goes on! memtb
No way those are from a jackalope, them be whitetail antlers not shed "lope" horns, lol !!!
Nice young buck, he'll be a good one in 4 + years.
Nice to see mature sheds like that. Where we used to hunt when I was younger you’d see tons of them but it is all coyote crap full of jack fur nowadays. Maybe they are starting to adapt to the increased coyote pressure. It would be nice to see them at huntable population levels in at least portions of there original range.
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Louisiana ain’t doing too bad....gators, nutria rats, crawfish, the Atchafalya Basin, boudin (red and white), Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival, and the list goes on! memtb

You are correct! But I do live more in North LA. We do have gators and nutria rats, but you have to apply for tags for the gators and are limited to certain areas, lakes, etc. unless that has changed. We do however, have a new Cajun restaurant in our little community. Not only is it authentic Cajun food, but the owners are authentic as well. Great people. Make you feel at home, like you're family. They're from around Eunice and I, for one, am tickled they settled in our part of our great state. Plus, we are starting to get more and more black bears around and hopefully they will get plentiful enough for them to open a season on and would love to be able to hunt them before I punch my ticket down here.
Originally Posted by buffybr
I believe that the original Jackalope were a subspecies of Mule Deer.

I doubt it, he's been married to Eileen a long time.
It might just be that someone on here knows where the original Jackelope came from.

I have always been told that the first come from Douglas WY.

Any feed back ?
He must have shed early. Probably so tired after the rut.
I will not devulge the location......
Originally Posted by ipopum
It might just be that someone on here knows where the original Jackelope came from.

I have always been told that the first come from Douglas WY.

Any feed back ?

That's what I remember, and back then I don't think there any whitetail deer in that part of Wyoming.
LOL
© 24hourcampfire