Home
Posted By: Dogger factory ammo - 01/25/19
any general concensus on superiority, inferiority, and/or performance differences between Federal blue box Power Shok soft points, WInchester silver box Super X Power Points and Remington yellow box/green box Corelokts across the usual suspects (deer hunting ammo)? Federal seems to be several $$ cheaper across the board across calibers 243 to 30
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: factory ammo - 01/25/19
IME, they all do the job. Pick the cheap one and go.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: factory ammo - 01/25/19
I would rank them as Corelkts , Power Shok then Power Points. But close enough that just picking the most accurate would be the deciding factor
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: factory ammo - 01/25/19
Buy one of each and whichever is the most accurate is your huckleberry.
Posted By: hanco Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
Go with the cheapest, all about the same
Posted By: Sherwood Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
I'm a huge fan of Power Point ammo.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
Several rifles shot Federal blue box well. Same rifles not so much with the other two brands.
Posted By: domit Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
federal does it for me in most things. haven't shot Winchester ammo in years. the federal prem. is really good !!!!! I bet I shoot more of that than everything else combined .
Posted By: Alex38 Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
I’d use whichever shot best in your rifle. I’d also add Hornady American Whitetail and Federal Fusions to your list to try, as they’re in the same price range.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: factory ammo - 01/26/19
I now use Winchester 180 grain "Power Points" in my 30/06 for everything. I've used factory "Core-lokts", "Interlocks" or "Power Points for everything from WY moose, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, mtn lion,mtn goat, antelope, oryx, hogs and black bear. I've kind of settled on Winchester just because. Bob
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: factory ammo - 01/27/19
Originally Posted by Alex38
I’d use whichever shot best in your rifle. I’d also add Hornady American Whitetail and Federal Fusions to your list to try, as they’re in the same price range.

Good answer.

For the rifles I use deer hunting its Fed blue box or Fusion in my 30/30, Rem corelokt in my .250, Fusion in my .308, Rem of Fed blue box in 300 Savage. Sometimes its about available loads, sometimes about the rifle's preference.

Haven't tried Hornady Whitetail yet. Winchester powerpoints don't come in the weight/loads I want to shoot, except in 30/30, and my rifle doesn't like those.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: factory ammo - 01/27/19
I've shot, and killed deer with all three.

I prefer the corelokts. For no specific reason whatsoever

-Jake
Posted By: moosemike Re: factory ammo - 01/27/19
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've shot, and killed deer with all three.

I prefer the corelokts. For no specific reason whatsoever

-Jake

I have too but I can't say I have a real preference
Posted By: Hubert Re: factory ammo - 01/27/19
my main Uncle /hunter preferred silver tips so that is what I mostly used. I also reloaded silvertips when I started to reload.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: factory ammo - 01/27/19
Must agree that the difference between the main brands( premium brands notwithstanding)is so minimal, you should shoot whatever your individual rifle likes best.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: factory ammo - 01/28/19
i gave up loading, due to the fact most of the rifles i own or have owned shoot factory ammo well.

the common denominator is federal blue box ammo at walmart. shoots well all the time and is cheap and performs well on game.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: factory ammo - 01/28/19
The truth is that for most hunters the choice of ammo doesn't matter.

Some will practice with their rifle and ammo and get good with it, others will check their scope zero at 100 and call it good.

The results are fairly predictable based on preparation.
Posted By: Bearbuck Re: factory ammo - 01/30/19
For factory ammo I reccomend Federal Blue Box Power Shoks.
Also the cheapest at my walmart. In 2 30-06 rifles and one 308 win
And two 300 win mags the Federal shot tight groups and was consistent.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: factory ammo - 01/30/19
Remington green box corelokts have worked for me for decades. I used hornady whitetail for a while in my 7mm08 but after a box of misfires I went back to the green box. Probably would have never had another problem with the hornadys but my confidence was shaken none the less.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: factory ammo - 01/30/19
I don't think that you would see much difference with the calibers you mentioned.
If you were to be shooting higher velocities, magnums, greater distances, then you would start to see differences. With Federal you can move up a grade to the vital-shok red box and have a lot of choices available (for a price). Probably the other's too to a lesser extent.
Let the rifle decide.
I shoot factory ammo in a 7mag so for me there is an enormous difference in both accuracy and consistency from one load to the next.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: factory ammo - 01/30/19
They are all very good, if this kind of stuff fails it's not on the shelf for long and the ammo you're talking about has been around for a looooong time.
Posted By: okie john Re: factory ammo - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by Dogger
any general concensus on superiority, inferiority, and/or performance differences between Federal blue box Power Shok soft points, WInchester silver box Super X Power Points and Remington yellow box/green box Corelokts across the usual suspects (deer hunting ammo)? Federal seems to be several $$ cheaper across the board across calibers 243 to 30

If I were choosing ammo for a belted magnum then I might be more inclined to go with a "name" bullet like a Partition, etc., but in standard cartridges, it's all good. Pick one that your rifle shoot well and go forth. Also, this type of ammo tends to be cheap this time of year because big-box stores are closing it out. If you really want to save money, then get it by the case on Ammoseek.

Okie John
Posted By: hanco Re: factory ammo - 01/31/19
What do you all do with all your fired brass?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: factory ammo - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by hanco

I save my brass, even though in the past I haven't reloaded. Somebody always needs some brass. I've given some away to friends. As for the factory ammo, I always start with the cheap stuff (usually Federal blue box is the cheapest) and work my way up only as needed to get what I need out of the rifle and load. For me it's deer hunting, mostly in the woods, most of it heavy brush, so for those applications I'm looking for accuracy out to 100 yards. I do have a 30-06 Mauser that I use when hunting a field edge or a gas line, clear cut or power line. This gun runs Federal Premium 165 gr. Sierra Game King BTSP loads. I've tried many different factory offerings in this gun, and this load always groups the tightest.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: factory ammo - 01/31/19
Hanco, you all ways save your brass. Even if you don't handload you prolly know someone who does. Case we get another Sandyhook panic deal one of your buddies can be talked into loading it for you or bribed to. brass is basic no brass, no reloads. Sandyhook taught or should have taught everyone in this country who shoots, that the day is past that one can go to whatevermart the night before the season starts and get the ammo you need. Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: factory ammo - 02/01/19
I find Hornady’s cheap ammo to be a cut above. Federal Blue Box is consistently accurate in all the guns and chamberings I shoot.
Posted By: Dogger Re: factory ammo - 02/01/19
i reload my brass...
Posted By: colorado bob Re: factory ammo - 02/01/19
Originally Posted by hanco

I give mine to the Gun Club. They collect it, sell as scrap & use the money to help pay for backboards at the range.
Posted By: las Re: factory ammo - 02/05/19
" Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob[/quote]"

Yeah, a couple store-bought boxes for each would last me 5 years for each gun. I might run out for one, but then I'd just switch to another rifle. Heck- I'd be good for a good 30 years, easy. More if I was conservative with my shooting.....

After that, I'd need to start reloading my components.... or if I acquired a new gun that needed working up. smile
Posted By: rem141r Re: factory ammo - 02/05/19
in most of my guns they all shoot the same and kill deer dead. i don't discriminate, i buy whatever is on sale for my 30/30's, 35's, 270, '06, 243, 308, etc.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: factory ammo - 02/06/19
When I dont load my own its almost always same version of Federal ammo..... Blue Box from wal mart is bad medicine.
Posted By: castnblast Re: factory ammo - 02/17/19
I've never had a bad surprise from Federal.Their ammo just works as it should. Every time. Can't say that of the cheaper versions of Remington or Winchester.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: factory ammo - 02/17/19
You should try all three. You may find they all shoot similar groups, or you may find one that's head and shoulders above the others. I'm a firm believer in starting with the cheap stuff and only going up the food chain as needed. Is this for a deer rifle hunting in the woods? If so, 100 yards and in with the best minute of deer accuracy should be your goal. If you hunt power lines, pipelines, or open fields where you can stretch out longer shots, work out to 200 yards.

Most frequently, I start with Federal Blue Box, then Remington Green Box, then Winchester. No particular reason for that order, just what I've ended up doing. Good luck finding the load your rifle likes best.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: factory ammo - 02/18/19
I stopped reloading a few years ago. For deer and hogs I now use 150gr fed blue box in one rifle and either core lots or American whitetail in my other rifle just to mix things up. Neither rifle likes power points. For the last 2 elk seasons I've used the same box of fed premium 180gr partitions. 1 or 2 shots to verify zero and 1 for the elk. While there are many suitable factory loads for elk, partitions have never let me down.
Posted By: Calvin Re: factory ammo - 02/18/19
Don't be afraid to live a little and wander into the Hornady ELDM/Eldx line.
Posted By: WAM Re: factory ammo - 02/18/19
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hanco, you all ways save your brass. Even if you don't handload you prolly know someone who does. Case we get another Sandyhook panic deal one of your buddies can be talked into loading it for you or bribed to. brass is basic no brass, no reloads. Sandyhook taught or should have taught everyone in this country who shoots, that the day is past that one can go to whatevermart the night before the season starts and get the ammo you need. Anyone who claims they live or love to hunt should have a supply of ammo for hunting use that would last an easy 5 years per gun / per cartridge. Hoarding my ass, I was a boy scout long enough to learn "BE PREPARED".
Magnum_Bob

Mega dittos.

I handload for a couple of guys with Weatherby rifles initially to help them get started. Seems like they think I should do it all the time and are surprised when I tell them to bring me the components and I'll help them out. One guy said can't you just get the bullets and powder and tell me what I owe you? I told him that I could but if he wanted his ammo loaded anytime soon that he could go shop for the stuff and if that was too fugging much trouble to go buy factory ammo. Sorry I ever offered...

I have about 2 lifetime's supply of ammo and components for all my guns. Anything less and you are a little short on ammo. Happy Trails
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: factory ammo - 02/18/19
corelokt killed a bunch of critters. I use Hornady white tail ammo. very happy with it
© 24hourcampfire