Home
We see new cartridges with the name Creedmoor. This is a name designed to sell a product. What does Creedmoor really mean[img]http://www.nrai.ie/creedmoor-history.html[/img]??
Have not made a science of it, but I'm not aware of any standard that must be met before a rifle, cartridge, or bullet can carry a Creedmoor label.

Lifted from another site:

What can be patented ? Any “new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof” can be patented subject to further conditions and requirements of U.S. patent law.

We can have issues with some names, however, where a product is associated with a given region. There were once champagnes manufactured all over the world. Now any sparkling wine carrying that label must come from the Champagne region.

Sort of like "tactical." See applied everything from bolt handles to tooth paste.
It’s like magnum on lots of cartridges. It was the big thing for a long time. Guys didn’t want it if it wasn’t an earth shaking, fire breathing MAGNUM.
Not a damn thing....
Before the cartridges, Creedmoor was a shooting style or position used with handguns. The shooter would lie back, raise up the knee on his shooting side with the foot still on the ground, and rest the handgun against the side of his lower leg.
Lightning bolt of Zeus!
Creedmoor, Tx

Population 202

Salute!
It means the range in NY where the matches are held on 70 original acres purchased from a Mr Creed in 1872
It's a secret code.

The "C" at the beginning is an abbrevation of "Cash," because you only have to spend abbreviated cash to buy an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor.

The "reed" spelled backwards is "deer."

"Moor" is a common Campfire misspelling of "more."

Put it all together and it means more deer for less cash.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's a secret code.

The "C" at the beginning is an abbrevation of "Cash," because you only have to spend abbreviated cash to buy an accurate 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ya know, they’s gonna be some folk that will believe that. Quite imaginative nonetheless.
The laws of physics give no extra ability to a cartridge because of a catchy name. The name Creedmoor is used as a sales pitch. The same as business uses catchy names to sell all types of products. The 6.5 CM is a decent cartridge but not magical. When compared to the 260 Rem. the CM holds about 1.5grs less powder. Therefore when both cartridges are loaded to the same PSI the 260 is ballisticly superior. I have heard some say it is more accurate. Another fallacy. Accuracy depends on many points. Quality of the barrel & action. Ability of the gun smith putting all together. . Have you noticed how accuracy of factory mass produced rifles has improved over the years. I have seen it improve significantly since the 1960's. CNC machinery producing closer tolerances. Improved metallurgy. These improvements are what contribute to accuracy not a name. My self & a friend both have Savage model 16's in 260 Rem. With the same bullet ,powder & loaded OAL they both will almost shoot one hole groups.
[Linked Image]
It has mystical powers!!!
hipster slang for homosexual tendencies

how's that for a first post LOL
The Creedmoor was literally Creed's moor on Long Island, New Dork they built a 1000 yd range there for 1000 yd matches back in 1870's eventually the land was sold and a hospital for mentally ill folks was built there, still a lot of mentally ill folks in New Dork..... The 6.5 Creedmoor was named after the match as it was and is promoted as a 1000yd cartridge. Sounds better to me than 6.5 New Dork State Mental Hospital right? MB
An epic thread similar to this started around 2013, though it asked what .223 AI meant.

I see greatness ahead.

Prepare for elysium.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Before the cartridges, Creedmoor was a shooting style or position used with handguns. The shooter would lie back, raise up the knee on his shooting side with the foot still on the ground, and rest the handgun against the side of his lower leg.

Be sure not to do this with a revolver! The 36,000 psi gas that comes from the cylinder gap on a 44 Mag will slice your jeans and leg open like a scalpel.
It's a secret code.

Damn, I think John actually solved it.
It's a secret code.

Saving this. It’s going to be a new “urban legend.”
the 1st and 2nd Rockie movies ,Rockie boxed Creed for the world boxing title and now somehow we have the new super cartridge CREEDMOOR ! this new cartridge is a death ray lightning bolt advertised in the hunting world and for the ammo and rifle manufactures its a cash cow !
It's like the new hot chick in the neighborhood that cant give a blow-job as good as some of the older chicks, but everyone still wants to find out for themselves anyway. smile
Originally Posted by gunner500
It's like the new hot chick in the neighborhood that cant give a blow-job as good as some of the older chicks, but everyone still wants to find out for themselves anyway. smile

You have SUCH a way with words....and analogies... laugh

Just, dang.
It is one of the more prominent shooting matches. Winning the Creedmoor Match is sorta like winning the Masters in golf.

http://www.nrai.ie/creedmoor-history.html

The 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge is named for the match.
I'm pretty sure that mule deer nailed it

-Jake
It's just another excuse for people to "let their freak flag fly", as I've said before, all a man really needs is an 8x57is on a good Mauser 98 action. Everything else is just fluff.

CT
I think someone just moved into gunner's neighborhood!
I think the popularity comes down to the fact that a great many people are far more recoil sensitive than they will openly admit,
and the fact that the vast majority of deer are killed at well under 300 yards,
making the real lack of the 6.5 creed moor cartridges ability to provide a impressive down range punch on more than paper ,
of little consequence, to the majority of purchasers.
I'm not saying you need a magnum, and a 6.5 creed moor cartridges ability , to kill game at reasonable ranges is well documented.
but marketers are well aware that most game is killed at well under 300 yards, and that most people can,t hit crap past 300 yards.
personally I see the practical advantage of the 6.5 creedmoor over a properly loaded 270 win, in the hands of joe average.... as ZERO,
One advantage for Joe Average is he'll be burning 10 to 15 grains less powder per shot, with the attendant reduction in recoil/blast. So Joe may find more practice more fun.

From what I've observed a lot of people are over gunned and under practiced.
Frankly, I think it is a case of reinventing the wheel by industry marketeers sprinkling a bit of pixie dust. I’m happy that a cartridge has been invented that replaces all the magnums so we only have to buy one cartridge for everything. Sort of like: If you like it, you can keep your health care plan....
I find the "logic" in a lot of these conversations to be, well, I'll just say interesting.
Yeah, me too. It's a well-known fact that most really hot chicks suck at blow jobs.

And yes, it was intended.
Originally Posted by mathman

Yes, and a lot of folks burn lots of powder at the range off a bench and never practice offhand or from field rests and then wonder why they miss or poorly hit game. If one can’t hit a milk jug size target at 100 yards offhand standing, they might consider more practice. Just sayin’
Sure, and less recoil/blast certainly won't hurt the motivation to practice more from whatever position.

laugh laugh
One advantage for Joe Average is he'll be burning 10 to 15 grains less powder per shot, with the attendant reduction in recoil/blast. So Joe may find more practice more fun.

Absolutely agree. I have been working the local range during sight in days since 1994. I have observer two to three hundred shooters each season. The majority are challenged to shoot a decent group at 100yds off a solid rest. Two big problems. Triggers are jerked instead of squeezing because of fear of recoil . Those who shoot the 30-06 with 180gr bullets & calibers on up are the worst. Not to say every one but with out a doubt most. Ask some one to shoot accurately at 100yds off hand & they walk away, let alone a make shift rest in the field. It's been my observation over the years that most of the game I have taken & seen taken has been under 200yds. The 6.5 CM is a useful cartridge , but the 260 Rem & 6.5x55 that proceeded it are just as good & have slightly higher velocity when loaded to the same pressure. It blows me away at the number of hunters that have not even touched their rifles since the last season ended. The name CM is ignored by physics. CM is used to sell a product. It accomplishes nothing more .
Originally Posted by Hesp

Absolutely agree. I have been working the local range during sight in days since 1994. I have observer two to three hundred shooters each season. The majority are challenged to shoot a decent group at 100yds off a solid rest. Two big problems. Triggers are jerked instead of squeezing because of fear of recoil . Those who shoot the 30-06 with 180gr bullets & calibers on up are the worst. Not to say every one but with out a doubt most. Ask some one to shoot accurately at 100yds off hand & they walk away, let alone a make shift rest in the field. It's been my observation over the years that most of the game I have taken & seen taken has been under 200yds. The 6.5 CM is a useful cartridge , but the 260 Rem & 6.5x55 that proceeded it are just as good & have slightly higher velocity when loaded to the same pressure. It blows me away at the number of hunters that have not even touched their rifles since the last season ended. The name CM is ignored by physics. CM is used to sell a product. It accomplishes nothing more .

See my sig line. grin
Originally Posted by ingwe

You have SUCH a way with words....and analogies... laugh

That's what our good friend Big Lawyer Bob said. ; ]

LOL, it's all good Dennis.

And hell no Bender Of Iron, that would be a very expensive 'shooting session' wink
Originally Posted by Bighorn

laugh laugh

It's so true Bighorn, "Mathematically" speaking, 'less' in no way can ever be 'more' cool
ask your rabbi , priest or reverend , it's a new diety . it's a divine intervention to put an end to 270 .
less powder and bigger scopes...older shooters....:)

and where is that neighborhood, exactly?
Tag for future reference.

Had no idea this amount of conspiracy theory, paranoia and anger over inanimate objects could exist outside Facebook. Maybe it's just a sign of the times, but definitely worth watching. Might be able to make money on an essay or two on the phenomenon.
Yep, the "logic" is interesting.
It's a secret code.

So! Contrary to what everybody said you can't use it for elk! wink
Tag for future reference.

Had no idea this amount of conspiracy theory, paranoia and anger over inanimate objects could exist outside Facebook. Maybe it's just a sign of the times, but definitely worth watching. Might be able to make money on an essay or two on the phenomenon.

'Tis fertile ground, for sure...

I think you nailed it... grin

DF
I bet you guys wear skinny jeans and flat- brimmed hats, am I right?
T
Had no idea this amount of conspiracy theory, paranoia.

You haven't met jaguartx....
Originally Posted by tomk
less powder and bigger scopes...older shooters....:)

and where is that neighborhood, exactly?

She's around the corner and down a few blocks, you cant miss her, there's a long line of old guys standing there with their pants down and wallets in hand waiting to meet her. laugh
Originally Posted by 340mag

but marketers are well aware that most game is killed at well under 300 yards, and that most people can,t hit crap past 300 yards.
personally I see the practical advantage of the 6.5 creedmoor over a properly loaded 270 win, in the hands of joe average.... as ZERO,

If the obvious escapes you, then you aren't likely to be overcome with enlightenment.

If you are indeed open, here's your answer:

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm pretty sure that mule deer nailed it

-Jake

Yes, I think JB nailed it. What I don't like about it, is once you try one, it's hard not to get hooked. I had this notion, I just had to buy a new rifle. One in particular (Savage 12fv) that my buddy was talking/raving about. It was a great deal and on sale (less than $400.00), had a heavy barrel and was sure to work for that MOA all day long challenge here. I decided I didn't want another damn 223 rem, the twist rate on the 22-250 was all wrong (1 in 12) and too damn slow, the 308w I don't like, the 204 Ruger too small and not really something I'm interested in, so all that was left was the 6.5 creedmoor. I had to buy it, I guess. Long story short, it performs exceedingly well, is very accurate at all ranges I've shot it at, its bullets cuts through the wind like nobodies business, is extremely easy to load for, recoils gently in a heavier rifle and yes it's a great cartridge. This is coming from someone that didn't fall victim to the hype, but decided to buy one just because it's the one that made the most sense at the time. Now I have 2 6.5 creed's and almost bought another one last weekend.
I read that “Q” shoots a creedmore.
roger that.

and here I thought that was an IRS office...
Originally Posted by tomk
roger that.

and here I thought that was an IRS office...

Welcome, and No, that's where you go to get fu-ked! ; ]
and roger that...though in a much more uncomfortable way...:)
Yup laugh
Originally Posted by ironbender
I read that “Q” shoots a creedmore.

Nope we shoot 1000yds a month after the " Q" and it is called the Montana 1000yd championship. Nobody shoots from Creedmoor position but either sitting behind cross sticks or prone over x sticks and we use smaller targets than they did 140 years a go.MB
Originally Posted by jorgeI
T

Jorge,
Good point!
Originally Posted by jorgeI
T

For sure! That Cat is out there!
Well, something had to usurp the mystical, magical 270 Winchester from its throne.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Well, something had to usurp the mystical, magical 270 Winchester from its throne.

And sooner or later it’ll come out of the closet and be proclaimed as homo as the .270! LOL!
Originally Posted by peeshooter
[Linked Image]

Of course 6.5 Creedmoor is no more a caliber than 35 Remington, but words and facts mean next to nothing on the 'Fire.
I plan on releasing a whole series of new cartridges named after mental hospitals.

6mm Overbrook
.257 Danvers
.270 Trans-Allegheny
.300 Byberry
.416 Pennhurst

The actual case specs are all very hush-hush at the moment, but it's sort of an amalgamation of the Weatherby and Mondragon case designs, taking the "improved" concept to the fullest, blowing out the shoulder beyond any level heretofore, it's inverted neck allowing maximum case capacity and utilizing all available magazine space.

[Linked Image]

It will also utilize our propriety VVP bullet. (very very pointy)

And here I was thinking it was named after Dr. Creedmoor.............the shrink that identified and documented Zombie Max Syndrome........... i.e. the mental disability that causes the afflicted to run out and empty their pockets on stuff that is no better than what already existed.....but it's got a cool name. ZMS, as the good doctor calls it, is usually accompanied by zits, a runny nose and premature ejaculation.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
And here I was thinking it was named after Dr. Creedmoor.............the shrink that identified and documented Zombie Max Syndrome........... i.e. the mental disability that causes the afflicted to run out and empty their pockets on stuff that is no better than what already existed.....but it's got a cool name. ZMS, as the good doctor calls it, is usually accompanied by zits, a runny nose and premature ejaculation.

It's almost as bad as the highly contagious CMDS (Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome) that is spreading like wildfire. It makes grown men whine and cry more than a 7th grade girtl's slumber party.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Yoder409

It's almost as bad as the highly contagious CMDS (Creedmoor Derangement Syndrome) that is spreading like wildfire. It makes grown men whine and cry more than a 7th grade girtl's slumber party.

I believe, in his research paper, researched at the NIH Clinical Center and published in the New England Journal of Medicine, Dr. Creedmoor asserts that CMDS is the end stage manifestation of untreated, non-intervened ZMS. It's a brutally cruel (yet infinitely entertaining when looking from the outside, in) condition.
The NIMH is actually gearing up for a nationwide campaign to combat ZMS and CMDS.

The spokesperson has signed a 5 year contract. Just waiting on the funding which is being held up as part of the border wall spending bill.

[Linked Image]
Creedmoor was a firing range and in the late 1800s it was of international notority.
Fad-style shooting came from the shooter there, and "everyone knew' they were the enlightened ones.
I think that part of history is humorous.

"Everyone knew" that only those that embraced the fad would be the real shooters in the coming years.
Here is a pic of the Creedmoor position.
[Linked Image]4bd3053b038cae6ea3e30edb7588c41c by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

See how well it stood the test of time?
See how it replaced standard "NRA" shooting positions.

Yeah..................me neither.

To be clear, I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoor will go from a fad to a mainstream cartridge because it has real merit. But all the other shells I have seen with "Creedmoor" stamped to their name are a step backwards in my opinion, but like the marketing of the late 1800s, many today will jump on the band wagon to "prove" they are the enlightened ones.

Prove to who I am not sure, but in their minds it IS proof.
Originally Posted by szihn
I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoor will go from a fad to a mainstream cartridge.

Have you been to a fugging gun store lately?
Creedmoor was a firing range and in the late 1800s it was of international notority.
Fad-style shooting came from the shooter there, and "everyone knew' they were the enlightened ones.
I think that part of history is humorous.

"Everyone knew" that only those that embraced the fad would be the real shooters in the coming years.
Here is a pic of the Creedmoor position.
[Linked Image]4bd3053b038cae6ea3e30edb7588c41c by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

See how well it stood the test of time?
See how it replaced standard "NRA" shooting positions.

Yeah..................me neither.

To be clear, I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoor will go from a fad to a mainstream cartridge because it has real merit. But all the other shells I have seen with "Creedmoor" stamped to their name are a step backwards in my opinion, but like the marketing of the late 1800s, many today will jump on the band wagon to "prove" they are the enlightened ones.

Prove to who I am not sure, but in their minds it IS proof.

For a second, there, I thought that was a page out of The Kama Sutra. grin

As far as the CM living to be a mainstream chambering...……………..time will tell. The only merit it bears, above and beyond the relatively young, but dying .260 Rem is the gun media masturbating en masse over it.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The Creedmoor was literally Creed's moor on Long Island, New Dork they built a 1000 yd range there for 1000 yd matches back in 1870's eventually the land was sold and a hospital for mentally ill folks was built there, still a lot of mentally ill folks in New Dork..... The 6.5 Creedmoor was named after the match as it was and is promoted as a 1000yd cartridge. Sounds better to me than 6.5 New Dork State Mental Hospital right? MB

Well stated.
[quote=Yoder409

As far as the CM living to be a mainstream chambering...……………..time will tell. The only merit it bears, above and beyond the relatively young, but dying .260 Rem is the gun media masturbating en masse over it. [/quote]

Pretty sure it already is.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Pretty sure it already is.

Really?? I'm still wondering if it'll catch on.
Yeah, I've recently heard the few companies that chamber the Creedmoor are thinking about switching to the .250 Savage.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoor will go from a fad to a mainstream cartridge.

Have you been to a fugging gun store lately?

Had the same question. How much more mainstream could it get?
It is funny how a grown man will let something as simple as a rifle cartridge get the best of him. It is really super simple, if you don't like (for whatever reason in your mind anyways) the Creedmoor don't shoot it. There is a plethora of other offerings to choose from. If you can't understand the advantages re-read Mule Deer's comments. Or maybe open your mind and take one for a spin!
The following rifle manufacturers chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor: Barrett, Blaser, Browning, Franchi, Howa, Mauser, Mossberg, Nosler, Remington, Sako, Sauer, Steyr, Tikka and Winchester. Then there are bunch of more limited-production companies. Most report it's one of their top-selling chamberings, if not the top. Many make more than one model. Blaser, for example, makes both break-action single shots and bolt rifles.

The following companies are offering ammo: Barnes, Berger, Browning, Federal, Hornady, Hunting Shack (HSM), Norma, Nosler, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Sig Sauer, Swift, and Winchester, plus some brands I've never heard of before.

One of my professional hunter buddies in South Africa also owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. He reports at least 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors, and a friend reports the same thing from a Zimbabwe store.

Obviously the fad is fading.
JB, it’s just moved overseas😀
Don’t forget Savage and Kimber!
and ruger....
And Weatherby.

The list was off the top of my head, but I should have remembered Weatherby, because among the 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned (as an experiment to see how the cartridge shot in various makes) was a Weatherby Vanguard.
The following rifle manufacturers chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor: Barrett, Blaser, Browning, Franchi, Howa, Mauser, Mossberg, Nosler, Remington, Sako, Sauer, Steyr, Tikka and Winchester. Then there are bunch of more limited production companies. Most report it's one of their top-selling chamberings, if not the top. Many make more than one model. Blaser, for example, makes both break-action single shots and bolt rifles.

The following companies are offering ammo: Barnes, Berger, Browning, Federal, Hornady, Hunting Shack (HSM), Norma, Nosler, Remington, Sellier & Bellot, Sig Sauer, Swift, and Winchester, plus some brands I've never heard of before.

One of my professional hunter buddies in South Africa also owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. He reports at least 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors, and a friend reports the same thing from a Zimbabwe store.

You forgot Ruger!
Ok others beat me to it and you were going off the top of your head. Always go off the bottom of your head! smile
Yep!
The following rifle manufacturers chamber the 6.5 Creedmoor: Barrett, Blaser, Browning, Franchi, Howa, Mauser, Mossberg, Nosler, Remington, Sako, Sauer, Steyr, Tikka and Winchester. Then there are bunch of more limited-production companies. Most report it's one of their top-selling chamberings, if not the top. Many make more than one model. Blaser, for example, makes both break-action single shots and bolt rifles.

Yep, szihn and Yoder409 really nailed it.
Well, in fairness, part of my job is to keep up with trends (not fads, trends), partly so I know what many readers will be interested in. That's not the job of most hunters.

While I don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the greatest cartridge ever, I decided to start investigating it when the round was still hanging around three years after its introduction in 2007, and in fact apparently starting to become more popular. (I usually wait a little on new rounds, because some do turned out to be momentary fads.) But after doing considerably investigating, I understand why it's become so popular, especially among hunters buying a first rifle, whether for themselves or others in their familiy. Many older hunters obviously don't feel the need.
Many seem to need to invent spurious reasons to not like it, rather than simply admitting it just doesn't tickle their fancy.
It's angst (and low T) on the part of some posters.

Live and let live.

For the rest, here's the late Joan Crawford demonstrating angst. It's a mix of fear, anxiety and not enough broccoli.

[Linked Image]
I bought one because I dig the light recoil. Even my .257 bee starts to kick after a while, not to mention the hot barrel after a 4 or 5 shot string. I joined a private range that goes to 550 yards and it is a lot of fun to swing plates with it. A 1k range is in the works. I have other chamberings to choose from but the 6.5CM is just new to me.

Those long skinny bullets are sexy, like long legs in a short skirt.
I once spent what was essentially an 8-hour work day shooting steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 CM. Dunno how many rounds got used up, but it was enough that I wouldn't have wanted to do it with anything that kicked much more!
Sounds like a fun day at work! If it's not fun to shoot, it stops being fun. I love my 6mm Rem for the same reason. I keep the .257 bee for the bean fields now.
I once spent what was essentially an 8-hour work day shooting steel out to 1000 yards with a 6.5 CM. Dunno how many rounds got used up, but it was enough that I wouldn't have wanted to do it with anything that kicked much more!

Dang, what do you do for vacation, go sit at a desk somewhere?
It means "Marketing Stroke of Genius."

It's right up there with "Tactical !" You want something to sell just hang the tag "Tactical" on it. Creedmore is almost as good.
Originally Posted by Filaman
It means "Marketing Stroke of Genius."

It's right up there with "Tactical !" You want something to sell just hang the tag "Tactical" on it. Creedmore is almost as good.

I'm guessing anyone who spells it "Creedmore" is Creed-less.
smokepole,

Once in a great while my wife and I go on vacation to a city, where we can sample good restaurants and do some touristing. Often, though, we combine it with work. A good example took place 2007. I had been invited to test some Heym rifles on a "cull" hunt on the estate of the last British earl in Ireland, and Eileen had just read in one of the cooking magazines she's subscribes to that Cork was one of the new centers of European cuisine, because of then-booming Irish economy. Cork is Ireland's major seaport from Europe, and so many people had moved there from other countries that fine restaurants of all sorts had sprung up. So she got permission to accompany me if we paid for her plane ticket, and we spent several days in Cork eating and touristing, which was great. Among other places, it turned out one of the highest-rated Spanish tapas restaurants anywhere was across the street from our hotel. Spent most of an afternoon there, sampling food and wine. And it turned out Heym was also eager to have her field-test one of their rifles, so she did!

These days we don't travel long-distance nearly as much, having pretty much had our fill of airports and the other hassles. But we do take off now and then to do the same sort of eating/touristing somewhere close enough to drive to.

Other than that, we do both work pretty hard, Eileen at writing game cookbooks and running our website. I usually write a couple hours in the mornings, then do other "work" stuff for the rest of the day, whether shooting, handloading, taking photos, or whatever. Our local rod and gun club, where we're life members, has a great range that includes everything from shotgun sports to a 1000-yard rifle range with dozens of gongs. Oh, and we both hunt pretty hard during the work-week at the right time of year. (We try to take weekends off, like other people.) Over the years we've taken antelope, mule and whitetailed deer, elk, black bears, moose and bighorn sheep less than an hour's drive from our house; this year Eileen got her deer within 5 minutes our our front door, while I got mine 10 minutes away. Also have eight of the 10 Montana upland birds nearby, and a big river and reservoir for waterfowling.
OMG Grammar Master has found me again!!! OK Creedmoor (or less)
As to the original question:

creed: a statement of essential beliefs

moor: open usually swampy wasteland

While the first seems very fitting, I am not sure how to apply the second.
Openly stating your essential beliefs may lead the conversation into the swampy wasteland of the beliefs of others.
One of the interesting aspects about the whole Creedmoor debate is how many anti-Creedmoor people say they don't need or want one, but are constantly bombarded by pro-Creedmoor pushers. Do they PM you on the Campfire? Ring your doorbell like a local politician and launch into a Creedmoor campaign speech? Do they stand on street corners and pass out Creedmoor screeds while shouting to attract a crowd?

In my experience, anti-Creedmoorites are far more likely to spontaneously break into a lecture, when the vast majority have exactly zero experience with the round.
as a gun dealer i am glad people want to buy a new cartridge rifle,scope ,ammo whatever its more money in my pocket, far as a Creedmoor its been a cash cow for me. hopefully here in America someone comes up with another new "koolaid"cartridge with a interesting name.
This gets posted occasionally, but it's perfect for this thread. Live and let live.

One of the interesting aspects about the whole Creedmoor debate is how many anti-Creedmoor people say they don't need or want one, but are constantly bombarded by pro-Creedmoor pushers. Do they PM you on the Campfire? Ring your doorbell like a local politician and launch into a Creedmoor campaign speech? Do they stand on street corners and pass out Creedmoor screeds while shouting to attract a crowd?

In my experience, anti-Creedmoorites are far more likely to spontaneously break into a lecture, when the vast majority have exactly zero experience with the round.

Got a good chuckle out of this.........
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As to the original question:

creed: a statement of essential beliefs

moor: open usually swampy wasteland

While the first seems very fitting, I am not sure how to apply the second.

I believe it's swampy here.
smokepole,

Once in a great while my wife and I go on vacation to a city, where we can sample good restaurants and do some touristing. Often, though, we combine it with work. A good example took place 2007. I had been invited to test some Heym rifles on a "cull" hunt on the estate of the last British earl in Ireland, and Eileen had just read in one of the cooking magazines she's subscribes to that Cork was one of the new centers of European cuisine, because of then-booming Irish economy. Cork is Ireland's major seaport from Europe, and so many people had moved there from other countries that fine restaurants of all sorts had sprung up. So she got permission to accompany me if we paid for her plane ticket, and we spent several days in Cork eating and touristing, which was great. Among other places, it turned out one of the highest-rated Spanish tapas restaurants anywhere was across the street from our hotel. Spent most of an afternoon there, sampling food and wine. And it turned out Heym was also eager to have her field-test one of their rifles, so she did!

These days we don't travel long-distance nearly as much, having pretty much had our fill of airports and the other hassles. But we do take off now and then to do the same sort of eating/touristing somewhere close enough to drive to.

Other than that, we do both work pretty hard, Eileen at writing game cookbooks and running our website. I usually write a couple hours in the mornings, then do other "work" stuff for the rest of the day, whether shooting, handloading, taking photos, or whatever. Our local rod and gun club, where we're life members, has a great range that includes everything from shotgun sports to a 1000-yard rifle range with dozens of gongs. Oh, and we both hunt pretty hard during the work-week at the right time of year. (We try to take weekends off, like other people.) Over the years we've taken antelope, mule and whitetailed deer, elk, black bears, moose and bighorn sheep less than an hour's drive from our house; this year Eileen got her deer within 5 minutes our our front door, while I got mine 10 minutes away. Also have eight of the 10 Montana upland birds nearby, and a big river and reservoir for waterfowling.

Now you're just rubbing it in. Ireland sounds like fun, it's on my list.

I haven't seen any of that but I did just see two clean-cut young men on bicycles wearing white shirts and ties. They had backpacks but also interestingly enough, bolt action rifles slung across their backs.

It didn't make sense to me until just now, had to be Creedmoors.
smokepole,

Well, yeah, I was kind of "rubbing it in."

But one of the things my father might have been right about, even when I was a teenager and knew everything, was strongly suggesting to do something I enjoyed for a living. He passed away at 44, and like all fathers and sons we had some conflicts. Am very grateful for his advice.
Yeah, my dad passed away early too, when I was 18. He was a WWII Veteran, what I wouldn't give to be able to go back and get some more advice from him. Or just bullsh** and drink beer. I was lucky as far as ending up doing something I like for a living, but it wasn't like I planned it or anything, just stumbled into it. If I'd planned it better I'd have gone hunting and shooting for a living too. Or at least fishing.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Was a month shy of 17.

My father got diabetes Type 1 at age 11, and wouldn't have lived at all if he'd been born a decade earlier. Worked for Boeing during WWII.

Dunno if I "planned" my life all that well, but was pretty stubborn....
Among other things, it’s a town in NC where I usd to live.
Stubborness is called motivation, if you're headed in the right direction.
© 24hourcampfire