Home
Mine is my 8x57 Mauser. It's really good pig medicine along with my .270. I load it with 175 grain SGKs at 2750 FPS. I personally love the 8x57 and think it does everything a .308 does and more. I don't know why it isn't more popular here in the U.S. If people are worried about bullet selection there's a whole Chit Slew of different bullet weights for anything you want to shoot with it. I would put its recoil right with the .308. My rifle is a sporterized Yugo 24/47 with the Military barrel still on it and a Buehler safety, the bolt expertly bent by my gun smith and the rear sight platform removed, a Timney Sporter Trigger and a new firing pin spring to help speed up lock time, drilled and tapped for scope mounts and sitting in a Boyd's Pepper Laminate Classic stock, with a 4-12x40 Redfield Revolution scope in Redfield type mounts on it. Makes for a great deer-pig rifle.

What's your favorite pig rifle look like?
I've reconsidered and think I need to be more specific.

It's one of the following:

.22 short T/C Contender (personal favorite)
.22 LR 10/22
..22 WMR 9422M
.22 K-Hornet
.25-20 Win Marlin 94
.30-30 Model 94
.30 Sneezer
.38 Special S&W
.44 Mag RSB
.50 T/C Renegade
.410 w/slugs
20 ga w/#3 buck or slugs (the Ithaca 37 w/o the mag plug is an effective mass murderer with buckshot)
12 ga w/slugs (I love the sound of whop in the morning.
7.62 GE M134
2.75" FFAR w/ flechettes or HE If you use HE there won't be much left for the mess kit.
[Linked Image]

http://www.centaursinvietnam.org/History/ihistoryEqOrdRocket.html
I try not to shoot at my exwife!
FN commercial 1898 with 6x42 pentex 7x57 150Partition @2700fps, I'm going to try some 175 RNs @2400fps. capt david
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

.22 LR 10/22
..22 WMR 9422M
.22 K-Hornet
.25-20 Win Marlin 94
.30-30 Model 94
.30 Sneezer
.38 Special S&W
.44 Mag RSB
.50 T/C Renegade
.410 w/slugs
20 ga w/#3 buck or slugs (the Ithaca 37 w/o the mag plug is an effective mass murderer with buckshot)
7.62 GE M134
2.75" FFAR w/ flechettes or HE If you use HE there won't be much left for the mess kit.
[Linked Image]

The only thing you left out was the front bumper of your pickup. smile
AR-10 .308 16" carbine with 125gr accubonds and an Aimpoint patrol
My Ruger Ultralight in .308. Nice and light as pig hunting is usually up close well under 100 yards so the rifle is always in my hands. It wears a 2-7x33 Loopy which is ideal and shoots either 130gn Speer HPs or 150gn Hornady SPs.
[Linked Image]

This .54 ^

And these two below, .40 and .62

[Linked Image]
You need to shoot an elk with the 62. Fine rigs there.
Yes I do, 30338!!!
Mostly AR’s when I kill them in traps or round pens. When deer hunting, it’s whatever I’m using. I plan on getting an American 22-250 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel for off season hunting.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

.22 LR 10/22
..22 WMR 9422M
.22 K-Hornet
.25-20 Win Marlin 94
.30-30 Model 94
.30 Sneezer
.38 Special S&W
.44 Mag RSB
.50 T/C Renegade
.410 w/slugs
7.62 GE M134
[Linked Image]

The only thing you left out was the front bumper of your pickup. smile

Only use that on Smart Cars.
My meat gun is still a win m70 variant in 3006, Leupold VZ 2 3-9x 40 with fed 150 grain SP (3006a) for feral pigs, feral goats and axis deer.
Ruger Frontier 308. Would love to get my hands on a 358win.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Elvis
My Ruger Ultralight in .308. Nice and light as pig hunting is usually up close well under 100 yards so the rifle is always in my hands. It wears a 2-7x33 Loopy which is ideal and shoots either 130gn Speer HPs or 150gn Hornady SPs.

We have similar taste. I live in Canada and there isn't any pig hunting here. However, six years ago I flew to Texas to visit a friend and while I was there I did some pig hunting. For me it was a Ruger 77 Ultralight .30-06 with a Leupold 2.5-8x36.
I have killed hundreds with whatever I happen to have in my truck, deerstand, or leaning up against the backdoor. Have found the 130 accubond in a 260 or 140 accubond in 280 ai real good medicine. I allways wait if possible till i have 2 lined up to gutshoot the one in the front and hit another one behind that one. Normally releases a lot of squeal from the one in back.
My 300wsm knocks them off their feet, but my favorite is my W 44 mag levergun. Just fun to hunt hogs with a levergun!
The spouse loves the Rossi 454 casull for hog hunting.
M99 in 300 Sav.
[Linked Image]

Older Marlin 336-A chambered for the mighty 35 Remington cartridge. Before I owned this rifle it was my uncle's favorite for moose, bears, and caribou in Canada.

Sherwood
6.8 SPC II, in an AR 15 platform. Over 300 between two rifles. 110 Accubombs, and 90 TTSX get the nod.
The ONLY way to come close to erridicating pigs is to catch whole sounders in large traps. Shooting them one at a time or catching them in small single traps only makes the left overs smarter.
Plan on taking my 9X56MM. If problems arise backup is .308 in Steyr Scout and son shoots R25. 308s shoot 165TTSX and the 9MM shoots 245 gr Hawk W/Large lead exposed RN. Rusty
Originally Posted by Docbill
The ONLY way to come close to erridicating pigs is to catch whole sounders in large traps. Shooting them one at a time or catching them in small single traps only makes the left overs smarter.

That is a fact, some won’t go in no matter what. We caught this bunch, momma was outside the pen, came up on her downwind, killed her too. Sometimes they hit trip wire before they all get in.

[Linked Image]

Even the traps lose effectiveness with time. Ones that get out or like the mama pig can become trap smart I think. But it helps.

I will use whatever is in my hands but a good medium bore in a lever gun or what ever platform you like I think is made to order for hogs. The 9x57 is a class act, 35 Rem. is perfection too although I would want the carbine model if purpose made for pigs and maybe a peep or holo sight or go all out and get a thermal sight if tradition be damned.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7nJrQM7WkFbEGxj2A

Always liked busting them with the 45-70. I miss Texas!
[Linked Image]
Winchester Model 1895 in 303 Brit with 215gr Woodleighs.
Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Marlin 35 Remington is a keeper!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
I like my T3 Lite SS .270 shooting 150 Partitions. Wears a 2-10x42 Monarch 5. Light, handy, and Works great.
I killed a bunch "in the good ol days" with .22 LR. Nowadays, a Model 99 .300 Savage is very good. About anything in .44 mag is good. My "special" pig gun i,s a Thompson Contender with 14' .44 MAG barrel and 14' suppressor on a carbine stock.

Mike Holmes
Normally while hunting from a stand I use a .30-06 with a good 180 grain bullet, because the pigs we hunt are well fed and are Russian boar hybrids. They can weigh several hundred pounds and are a good bit harder than deer to put down. For hunting at night and other times when multiple targets are likely an AR15 comes in handy. And .223 kills pretty reliably on smaller hogs and we have taken some rather large ones with it also. AS someone earlier said trapping is more effective, but I have found that often the old smart sows keep their shoats from going in a trap. If you can shoot her the rest will often go in the trap the next night or two.
Originally Posted by Alex38
I like my T3 Lite SS .270 shooting 150 Partitions. Wears a 2-10x42 Monarch 5. Light, handy, and Works great.
My daughter uses a Ruger M77 in .270W with 150 Win. power points and has excellent results on big pigs.
When I have an option of killing the pig I want I always kill the biggest one in the group. If I can see it's a male, he goes because he is the sperm engine in the woods. If it is a sow, she is the brains in the group. Kill the oldest collective knowledge and the group intelligence about traps and bait goes away. Keep the sounder dumb if you can.
Originally Posted by Docbill
When I have an option of killing the pig I want I always kill the biggest one in the group. If I can see it's a male, he goes because he is the sperm engine in the woods. If it is a sow, she is the brains in the group. Kill the oldest collective knowledge and the group intelligence about traps and bait goes away. Keep the sounder dumb if you can.

Good theory
savage 99 in 3030. made in 1910 !
© 24hourcampfire