Home
Posted By: OCSarge AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
Friday, Feb. 22, 2019 was the general firearms season for Javalina. In our part of northern AZ, our area received approx. 16" of snow over 2 days. Friday afternoon the sun came out and was a crisp, cold afternoon. I cut tracks almost immediately. They stood out like run way lights. About 100 yards into it I busted a herd of 3. They took off in different directions. I followed one of them for about 1/4 mile.

It presented a broadside shot at approx. 30-35 yards.

Gun: Lipsey edition Ruger SS flattop, 4 5/8", .44 special. Engraved and action work by Bobby Tyler Gun Works.

Ammo: Double Tap 240 grain hard cast .44 special.

Holster and Cartridge Slide: Simply Rugged Sourdough.

Pictures in the Image Gallery
Posted By: ckat Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
Sounds like fun! Nice revolver, too!!!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
Congrats OCSarge!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill_N Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
Nice shooting! Looks tasty 😋
Posted By: OCSarge Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/24/19
Sycamore - thanks for posting picture. Thanks to all. Having chorizo and breakfast sausage made.

Respectfully to all,

Dave
Posted By: roninflag Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/25/19
Dave- they must have been easy to glass up . nice shooting. ron
Posted By: Justahunter Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/25/19
That is really cool! Rare to get to hunt them in the snow!

Todd
Posted By: Judman Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/25/19
Nice work!! Bucket list critter for me.. Next year it's gonna happen
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/25/19
given where he lives, paulden, and units 19A and 19B we had one heck of a snow storm wensday and thursday. I am surprised he was able to get out of the front yard with all the snow much less 19a and b.
that is really something. must have had a tracked vehicle.
Posted By: Islanderflyer Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/25/19
I remember seeing them when I was taking some flight training in Prescott. Are they good to eat? Might be a fun hunt someday.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/26/19
Digging that Ruger. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: WL205 Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/26/19
nice skunk pig
Posted By: Chrisk1977 Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/27/19
I have only chased them with a bow. The meat is kind of bland until you get towrds the rear end.
Posted By: Cascade Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/27/19
Very cool. Congrats on a great winter handgun hunt!

Guy
Posted By: OCSarge Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 02/28/19
All,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, plenty of snow. I did make it to work thanks to the Dodge 2500 4x4. I've only had these made in to sausage and stuff. Anyone ever had these just butchered into regular cuts of meat and how were they?

Respectfully,
Dave
Posted By: Sycamore Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/01/19
I don't think there is anything "regular" about javelina meat.
Posted By: mudhen Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/01/19
Back when I was doing some work on the King Ranch in south Texas, 45 years or so ago, the cow camp cooks only made stew with them. They would start a fire about 4:00 AM, and simmer chunks of stew meat with a lot of fresh chiles until the cowhands came in for lunch around 1 to 2 PM. They always had a little left over, and I often dropped in later in the afternoon for an early supper to help finish off the leftovers before the cow crews came back in.

During this same time, I would harvest a couple for the annual Wildlife Dinner that the student chapter of the Wildlife Society at Texas A&M put on each year. Those were simply halved down the middle and cooked over a low fire in a charcoal grill most of the day, liberally basted with a home-made BBQ sauce. With two cooks and the help of a few visitors who dropped by, it took most, if not all, of a case of beer to get them done for the dinner that evening.

Never had any complaints that can recall.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/01/19
Funny to see stink pigs in the snow.

Really digging that 44.
I’ve tried to eat them a few times. Crockpot and lots of seasoning, other than that I’m not eating them. Everyone has their preference though, some people won’t eat bear and I love it.

Mm
Posted By: OCSarge Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/03/19
This one was a medium sized sow. Next year I'm going to shoot for a medium sized (pun intended) again and have it cubed. Going to try it in the crockpot or can cooker. I've always had these made into chorizo and breakfast sausage, which to me was really good.

Respectfully to all,

Dave
Posted By: pointer Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/04/19
They'd be a hoot to hunt them in the snow!! Well done.

Jud- What month we going? wink I have points...
Posted By: saddlesore Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/04/19
Back in about 1966 or so, I drew a javalina tag for down in the boot heel of New Mexico .I was living in Albuquerque then .The season was in February. I about froze my butt off for a pig that was sure not worth eating. I learned everything I needed to know about Javalina hunting that trip.I went two years later and sure enough, it didn't change.
Posted By: RNF Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/05/19
Nice shooting iron and good shooting, looks like a lot of fun.
Posted By: Chrisk1977 Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/06/19
[quote=OCSarge]This one was a medium sized sow. Next year I'm going to shoot for a medium sized (pun intended) again and have it cubed. Going to try it in the crockpot or can cooker. I've always had these made into chorizo and breakfast sausage, which to me was really good.

Respectfully to all,

We made kabobs. I actually went a couple times in S.Texas with a memeber that is on here. He doesn’t post much. I really think it was edible because he is a hell of a cook. They also make really cool mounts and European mounts.
Posted By: Chrisk1977 Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/06/19
Also if I remember he soaked it in pineapple juice for several hours.
Posted By: Tejano Re: AZ 19B Snow Javalina - 03/15/19
Like anything depends on the size/age and how it is handled. If you want one to eat don't shoot a boar and the younger the better all the way down to shoat size which are delicious. Get the musk gland off immediately and either wash that knife or don't use it for the rest of the skinning work to keep that musk off the meat. Chill it as fast as you can which usually means icing it down for us. I haven't tried aging them so not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

BBQ, Chili, Tamales, Chorizo or any spicy method of cooking. Usually low and slow cooking works best but the tenderloins with lemon and Italian seasoning quickly sauteed make great scallopini. An older one you can marinate in Italian dressing before cooking it.
© 24hourcampfire