Home
Posted By: scenarshooter The Struggle... - 03/15/19
[Linked Image]

Early this morning, in Phillips County, Montana.

The antelope deserve a break...fingers crossed for some warm, breezy days in the next few weeks...
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: The Struggle... - 03/15/19
[Linked Image]

Waiting for the sun to do it's work....7F at dawn, and a heavy fog.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: The Struggle... - 03/15/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: huntsonora Re: The Struggle... - 03/15/19
Great pics. Hope you boys get a little sun and some warmth
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Here is hoping the weather warms.. We are to get a warm spell on Monday..
Posted By: GregW Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Great pics....

Love how sunlight is so different based on latitudes.....

Hope you get some warmer weather Pat....
Posted By: moosemike Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Awesome pictures!!!
Posted By: pal Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
I like the photos.
Posted By: horse1 Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

The antelope deserve a break...fingers crossed for some warm, breezy days in the next few weeks...

Badger/Coyote hole out in the stubble center right? 2 posts right and above the furthest right pronghorn?
Posted By: ribka Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
My friends in big timber are having a heck of a time dealing with calving season
Posted By: handwerk Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Beautiful shots Pat, can't wait to be back at our Mt. cabin in a week.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Super pictures Pat, really like that first one you posted. You guys need some nicer weather sooner than later.

Been tracking the weather in central Wyoming for the past month or so, seems like they have gotten snow and cold but then it melts off so hopefully the antelope are doing OK. Looking forward to this year being back in Wyoming!!
Posted By: hanco Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Beautiful pictures. Looks cold as hell. It has to be tough on animals!
Posted By: Judman Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Nice pics, she looks cold over there! Hopefully it warms up soon.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
It's suppose to be in the mid 30's this coming week, then get into the 40's next weekend, possibly 50's.

The whitetail, and mule deer look good. They're going to be fine.
Posted By: fredIII Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
👍 pat very good. Thank you.
How’s the muzzle brake doing.
Originally Posted by horse1
[Linked Image]

Badger/Coyote hole out in the stubble center right? 2 posts right and above the furthest right pronghorn?

Could be...I never noticed it. I was right next to the highway, so that would exclude a coyote den.
Originally Posted by fredIII
👍 pat very good. Thank you.
How’s the muzzle brake doing.

Good. I'll give it a hard run at the Icebreaker in about a month.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few other random shots from late winter...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Winter up here likes to hang on.....
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Beautiful country and great pictures but way too damned cold for a southern boy like me.
Posted By: SKane Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
Spectacular captures as always, Pat!!!!

Man, I hope you weren't toting a rifle in something 700-based - it's a terrible choice in the cold weather. whistle
Posted By: kingston Re: The Struggle... - 03/16/19
[Linked Image]

Fantastic shots!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: The Struggle... - 03/17/19
Pat,
Wonderful pictures! Thank You for taking the time to post them. I hope you have some warm weather and no flooding!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: The Struggle... - 03/17/19
Great photos. Spring is upon us here in the PNW.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: The Struggle... - 03/17/19
Scenarshooter: Indeed this "winter" has turned bitter and relentless here in SW Montana over the last 40+ days!
November, December and January were somewhat mild and that is a blessing for the wild creatures saving some calories for the current onslaught by Mother Nature.
Hoping for the best for all the animals and hoping for SPRING!
As an aside - your fantastic photo shows the Antelope Bucks with what appears to be fully developed "horns" (in your March 15th photo) - are those new horns or not yet dropped horns?
The Antelope here in SW Montana start losing their horns in late November and regrowing them by mid/late January. But your Bucks are well progressed in horn development or do you think those may not have been shed yet?
TIA for any opinions and observations.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: The Struggle... - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Scenarshooter: Indeed this "winter" has turned bitter and relentless here in SW Montana over the last 40+ days!
November, December and January were somewhat mild and that is a blessing for the wild creatures saving some calories for the current onslaught by Mother Nature.
Hoping for the best for all the animals and hoping for SPRING!
As an aside - your fantastic photo shows the Antelope Bucks with what appears to be fully developed "horns" (in your March 15th photo) - are those new horns or not yet dropped horns?
The Antelope here in SW Montana start losing their horns in late November and regrowing them by mid/late January. But your Bucks are well progressed in horn development or do you think those may not have been shed yet?
TIA for any opinions and observations.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, they shed their horn shells at the same time here as well. They start growing new horns as soon as the old one's fall off, and they continue to grow until about mid June, when they're fully developed.

They are a very unique animal, being the only horned game animal in the world to shed it's horns annually....
Posted By: pointer Re: The Struggle... - 03/18/19
Great pics! Hope the weather breaks for the better.

Need to get back to that country for some birds. A group of pheasants like that would turn my dog into a slobbering mess!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: The Struggle... - 03/18/19
Scenarshooter: Thank you for that information - indeed the Antelope (Pronghorns) are a unique and wonderful creature.
Thanks again - there are a couple of bucks in that group that are going to be real dandies this fall - good luck getting a tag!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: VernAK Re: The Struggle... - 03/18/19
Interior Alaska is getting weather warnings for excessively warm weather. Here in Delta we had a few inches of snow and moose grazed in fields all winter. The neighbors barley stubble is bare and usually I'd expect to see northbound geese and cranes but that's two months away. Snowmobile traffic on the rivers is coming to a halt.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: The Struggle... - 03/19/19
Thanks Pat, hopefuly spring will come and everything will be okay. Smiles for everyone.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: The Struggle... - 03/23/19
Finally broke down here Pat. Antelope don't mind mud! Haven't seen any dead ones yet but this next week I'll get out and take a look.
© 24hourcampfire