Home
Posted By: wytex Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 05/09/19
Got my sheep tag anyone else?
Posted By: 805 Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 05/09/19
Congrats!! What unit?
Now you're talking. One of the happiest day in my hunting life----the day I got my sheep tag in the mail.

A word of advice----start hitting the gym----get in sheep shape & a little more.
19. I know it well where I'll probably be hunting. He hunt it for elk and deer. Elevation, only a few hundred ft above where we live thankfully. Some steep and rugged country, but open. Been hunting it for about 25 years.
Once in a lifetime for me, no more sheep apps in my future.
Posted By: 805 Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 05/09/19
Had a feeling it was unit 19. Some awesome rams in that unit! Good luck. Can’t wait to see what you find.
We were just talking about this amongst friends at lunch. Sheep is about once in a lifetime for anyone now. It takes about 25 points to get a tag. Congratulations!
Took 23 points to draw this year, no max PP folks put in for it, about 26% odds think.
190 3/8 out of there last year. I'll be happy with an 8 yr old ram.
I got nothin'. Congrats to those that drew!
Congrats on your sheep tag. Me and my boys nothing and then checked on my wife's draw and she drew an area 1 once in a lifetime Mountain Goat! Woohoo
Congratulations wytex, and Good Luck with the hunt! memtb
Just buying points this year... heading to N.M. for elk again instead...
Originally Posted by Partagas
Congrats on your sheep tag. Me and my boys nothing and then checked on my wife's draw and she drew an area 1 once in a lifetime Mountain Goat! Woohoo

Congrats to your wife. What a hunt that will be!
Congrats wytex! Cool to draw after so many years....
Nothing for me.
Waiting for my supertag? No luck on moose, up to 2 preference points now
I guess we are 1/4 of the 8 tags, as I drew a 19-1 also. I have friends down by Wheatland but never hunted down there. Coyotes during my UW years.I know a couple landowners, so it should be interesting.

How do you plan on hunting your ram? Archery? Handgun? Rifle?

My greatest challenge will be getting in shape so I don't die on the hillside... I really didn't anticipate drawing.
Probably be a rifle hunt. If you have private access you should be good.
It's steep and rugged in places but you'll be fine.
Wytex, how fare you? Any luck?
No sheep yet. Been chasing elk for a few days and will hunt later in the month.
Posted By: efw Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 09/18/19
Congrats man that’s absolutely stellar I hope we get to see pics of yer ram here!!!!
I've heard that only one ram has been checked in so far. 'twaren't me!
Good luck.
Well, now there are 4 Rams down. Im going back in mid-Oct.
Good luck! Cool tag to draw!
Wytex, heard a Cody hunter got one today. That is five down that I'm aware of.
Got my ram Saturday. Can't get a pic to load here but it's posted on Hunt Talk. I roughed him at 176 6/8.
Glad to hear the Cody guy got his. You should see more activity and rams closer to ewes starting very soon. Don't overlook Morton Pass state section along 34.
Good luck!

Attached picture DSCN2927 (720x540) (640x480) (240x180) (120x90).jpg
Wytex....Here’s your Ram. Congrats! 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Very, very well done!!
Beautful Ram! That is great.

Someday.....
Beautiful Ram! Congrats!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 10/16/19
Nice Ram! Congrats!
Originally Posted by wytex
Got my ram Saturday. Can't get a pic to load here but it's posted on Hunt Talk. I roughed him at 176 6/8.
Glad to hear the Cody guy got his. You should see more activity and rams closer to ewes starting very soon. Don't overlook Morton Pass state section along 34.
Good luck!

Outstanding! Congratulations!
Posted By: RNF Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 10/16/19
Congrats on a nice Ram.
What an awesome deal.
Nice.
Congrats! Avery nice Ram. Those are trophies that are almost unmatched by any other game animal! 👍 memtb
Wow. Great ram. Living vicariously. Thanks for sharing.
That is truly a dream ram, congrats on a great hunt.

mike r
that's a real nice ram. What did the game & fish age him at? I couldn't count the rings.

Any chance of recapping the hunt? Bob
My ram was aged at 6 1/2 years. Good bases and length.

This area has pretty good public access but lots of sheep on private lands that are leased or no hunting allowed. I was fortunate in that the ranch we do some work for allowed me some limited access to landlocked public parcels.
First weekend of elk season we spotted a band of rams working a ridge and going towards a public parcel I had access to. I had a bull elk down that day so we made mental notes of them and worked on my bull and got him home.
Next weekend we went up with hopes of finding some sheep on public ground and maybe a cow elk or two on the private. We were riding up a draw when we spooked a band of 5 rams on a ridge line right above us. They spooked and headed down a draw on private and across towards the state parcel I could hunt.
We headed over, by way of atv to a spot about 1/2 from where we thought they went. Made our sneak to the state land and no sheep. Looked around but didn't want to scent up the area so we headed back , no elk spotted either.
Got back to the same ridge we watched them from before and there they were, feeding up on top and headed back towards the state land. We made the exact same trek over and took our time making the way to the state. We got close to the parcel and slowed down to glass, no sheep we could see yet. Slowly inched down the ridge and there they were bedded down in the top of a rugged draw I guess you'd call it that.
2 young rams spotted us and got up and moved about 25 yards further away then looked at us and bedded down about 100 yards from us.
3 bigger rams were still in the draw, one saw us and just re positioned himself and bedded back down.
After a few minutes of watching them and nothing I made the decision to move in on them. We crawled forward about 10 yards and finally they got nervous, all stood up but the ram I wanted was facing me and I could not see his entire body.
He turned to go away and offered a Texas Heart shot, I took it at 65-70 yards offhand. He flinched somewhat but no other reaction to the shot. As they all then started moving off I took another shot and missed.
All the sheep then started running over the edge of the ridge, we went where we thought they went over and no sheep or blood.
I started to get a panic feeling then told my husband I was going back to the shot spot, he joined me.
We found tracks and finally a spot of blood . Followed the sparse blood at first but it soon picked up. The ram had broken off from the band and went below where they had been bedded and we found him dead on a finger ridge.
My bullet had gone in the right hip and traveled full body to be found just under the skin on front shoulder.
Had we gone to the spot he was standing when I shot , blood would have been found sooner, stupid mistake to follow them but it worked out.
Sounds like a great hunt - congrats!
Hi Pam,

I got my ram on Wed. Also 6 1/2. Not quite as big as yours, but but I'm ecstatic and relieved. Season was winding down... I'll figure out the picture thing and relay the story on a other thread...unlike Hunttalk...🙄
congrats, gowyo
Posted By: SLM Re: Wyoming sheep, moose and goat - 10/25/19
Congrats to you both.

A dream hunt for sure.
Here is a link to some pix of my ram.
[img]http://imgur.com/a/3q0FcBj[/img]
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Wow. Great ram. Living vicariously. Thanks for sharing.

Right! Me too.
My sheep ended up scoring 181 1/8 B&C. he makes the book.

Attached picture DSCN2924 (1200x900) (1200x705) (120x71).jpg
Congratulations on a very nice ram! I can only dream of a hunt like that, so I appreciate you sharing the pictures. Memories that will last a lifetime from that hunt, I'm sure.
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Here is a link to some pix of my ram.
[img]http://imgur.com/a/3q0FcBj[/img]

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Just found this thread, freaking awesome!

Huge congrats
I got my mount from the Taxidermist.

Living Legends for the win!

https://imgur.com/a/qf5gtS4
I got my mount from the Taxidermist.

Living Legends for the win!

https://imgur.com/a/qf5gtS4

Great looking trophy! Thanks for sharing!
Very nicely fellas. Well done
© 24hourcampfire