Home
Opening day in New Mexico. Six minutes after legal shooting time. All my scouting paid off and I tagged the largest buck in the heard.

160 yard shot with custom 25-06 I built on a 700 action. My handloads with 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips. I had him quartered and on ice before 7:00 AM This is my second pronghorn, the first was taken near Valentine, Texas a few years ago. So happy to draw a tag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cinch Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/17/19
Congratulations that’s a great pronghorn...
Posted By: Sako76 Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/17/19
Congrats, right way to do it!
Congratulations!!! Great buck.
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/17/19
Good lookin buck !! Grats
Good one. And, you have the right idea, getting them dressed and on ice ASAP.

Good eating, handled like that. Hot weather not kind to those carcasses.

DF
Beautiful buck! Congrats to you, should be great eats as well:)
I remember one NM pronghorn hunt, seeing a carcass hanging on an old front end loader as we entered the property. We had our goats down, skinned, gutted, quartered and on ice before 9 AM. As we exited that ranch, the carcass was still hanging on that same tractor. And it was starting to get really hot.

Those who talk about “stink goats” probably don’t know how to process meat in hot weather.

We do and the meat is very good.

DF
Posted By: skeen Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/17/19
Nice!
Nice! What area of NM ?
Unit 2 near Kirkland
Nice buck, Congrats
Congratulations
Posted By: hanco Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/18/19
I’m ready for our seasons to start!!
Headed out Wednesday for NM. Can’t wait.
Nice NM buck! Congratulations to you, pds.

I'm leaving Thursday AM early for NM, myself - can't wait! My hunt begins Saturday.

Thanks for posting your photo.
Congrats PDS!
NM has some DANDY goats.
That's the way to start of the season...well done!
Very nice buck congratulations.
Congratulations
Thanks fellas and good luck to those who are going.
Now I can start scouting for my elk hunt. I drew a cow tag for unit 48. Hope I can tag one. Near the truck.
Congrats
Posted By: efw Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/19/19
Darn nice buck there congrats!

I really like yer game plan; as DF said getting them on ice that fast ensures the tastiest of eats!

Beautiful country there congrats again!
Nice "goat" & love that caliber !
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Thanks fellas and good luck to those who are going.
Now I can start scouting for my elk hunt. I drew a cow tag for unit 48. Hope I can tag one. Near the truck.

Near the Truck is no fun! smile
Posted By: rong Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/19/19
looks like you hit'em right,congrats.
nice looking pronghorn
Nice buck! He looks very tasty. smile
That is a great speed goat! Congrats!
Nice one.. Nice antelope caliber too...!!!
Grilled pronghorn tenderloin bacon wrapped and seasoned with a little garlic. Tonights celebratory dinner.

[Linked Image]

This is only my second pronghorn, but I think it's the best tasting venison there is. Shoot a healthy one, get it in ice quickly, and let it soak in the ice water a day or two. I processed the backstraps today, tomorrow the shoulders and hind quarters. Plan to make some summer sausage and chili grind from the trimmings.
Posted By: memtb Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/20/19
Real nice”goat”! Congrats! Also, nice bullet placement! memtb
I'm thinking those horns are pushing 15" with high cutters. Should score well. You did good.
did any of you guys see pics of that pig nontypical NM buck floating around on facebook?
Posted By: Cinch Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/21/19
Originally Posted by huntsman22
did any of you guys see pics of that pig nontypical NM buck floating around on facebook?

Ya that thing is awesome...
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'm thinking those horns are pushing 15" with high cutters. Should score well. You did good.

Thank you. I haven't measured the horns yet. I plan to put them on a plaque mount. I have a nice pronghorn shoulder mount already. My next shoulder mount I hope will be an elk or a good mule deer.
Worked on the horns today, 45 minutes in the hot water and they pulled off of the core. Have borax inside the horns and the skull plate in salt. Going to try a diy horn plaque. I've done multiple deer antlers but these pronghorns are weird! Could hardly believe what was inside those things.
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/25/19
The skull plate is different, gotta trim it up a bit, I’ve done several pretty easy still
[Linked Image]
Nice buck and the perfect goat rifle too!

-Jake
Nice plaque mount. Did you put anything on the horns to make them black or preserve them? My horns are not that black.
Posted By: Scotty Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/28/19
Congratulations on your buck.
Posted By: Judman Re: New Mexico pronghorn opener - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Nice plaque mount. Did you put anything on the horns to make them black or preserve them? My horns are not that black.

Ya, I painted so with flat black paint.. 😎😁
OP - that's one heck of a buck.
Thank you.
© 24hourcampfire