Home
Posted By: ingwe Something Different: Blackbuck - 09/02/19
Lets mix things up a bit....I'll show you mine if you show me yours....

[Linked Image]
I cant do pictures but will say those are some wicked looking horn. Do they taste good?
Originally Posted by Texczech
I cant do pictures but will say those are some wicked looking horn. Do they taste good?

Yeah, they're really quite good! Ive gotten a couple chewy ones and since my wife and I prefer Blackbuck for burgers per se..thats where most of it goes.

Just had some Blackbuck fajitas...and they didn't suck...
I have got to sit down at the computer and
figure the picture posting thing out. Icant use my phone for a lot of stuff like posting youtube videos and pictures. I took your advice on our lab and she.is doing a lot better. Thanks again for that.
Not the best picture, but he's all mine.

From LaPampa Province, Argentina in 2013, via .270 Win.

[Linked Image]
They're fun to watch. The bucks are pretty territorial. They're good on the table too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

La Pampa Arg. Last time I looked he was #1 for SA.
[Linked Image]
A beauty! Looks like 4 1/2 curls?
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
[Linked Image]

Wow! I've never seen a "5 Turn" Blackbuck...gorgeous! did you do a Pedestal or full mount?
I don't think I've ever seen a pic of one that big. How long was he straight tape?
no pics, its been many years... my only one was a bit over 23 and I've seen a couple close to 25.

Funny how folks feel about taste, they don't taste worth shooting to me at all.
Pedestal mount along with Mrs Blacktailer's. Never measured him straight tape, he scored over 76 inches SCI.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Excellent!
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Geedub...I love that pic!
Heres another one I'll throw out there...

[Linked Image]
Interesting critter.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Interesting critter.

agree,pretty bucks.
Uno mas...

[Linked Image]
Interesting I always look for black when looking them over but those 4+ turn ones have gone from black to grey. Ones I have shot are more in the category of skillet bucks but they were all tasty. The doe's are almost always good table fair, but they are like pronghorn shot in warm weather they need to be iced down pronto.
Beautiful critters. Years ago we used to stop at the Natural Bridge Zoo for a break on our way to Grandma's house. They had blackbuck in the open area with the goats. They wanted nothing to do with the tourists, unlike the goats who'd climb on your head if they thought you had some of that goat chow they sold.
Posted By: SLM Re: Something Different: Blackbuck - 09/03/19
That is awesome.

Pedestal mount along with Mrs Blacktailer's. Never measured him straight tape, he scored over 76 inches SCI.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tejano
Interesting I always look for black when looking them over but those 4+ turn ones have gone from black to grey. Ones I have shot are more in the category of skillet bucks but they were all tasty. The doe's are almost always good table fair, but they are like pronghorn shot in warm weather they need to be iced down pronto.

+1 on the does.....

I got one that was REAL chewy..otherwise they're all good!

The rifles pictured are .222 and .223s...Blackbuick of both sexes are prime game for the centerfire .22s..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thats funny. On the 16000 acre ranch I used to guide on we had them free range.

Gals running the show and cooking for some reason ran low on food, I think we had an ice storm IIRC and folks there longer than expected.

Anyway we were sent out one night to bring back a sheep so they could cook. Corsican or mouflon. Ride around in the cold and such for hours looking for the sheep, never found em, smacked a BB doe in the head with 22 mag... hauled it back and thought we were both fired on the spot.

These gals could cook anything. For some reason that black buck tasted more like bell peppers they had drowned it in than anything else.

My only other one was my 23 inch old one and lets just say there is no need in me ever shooting another BB. Especially when the creation offers Axis...Moose... Dall... Whitetails etc....
Both of the ones I shot tasted fine. I thought they were better than whitetail but not in the oryx/axis league
[Linked Image]

This entire body of work is masterful. Wow!
Done by my friend Jerry Huffaker in Abilene. He has done a bunch of African stuff for me also.
https://huffakertaxidermy.com/
Done by my friend Jerry Huffaker in Abilene. He has done a bunch of African stuff for me also.

Ive looked at Huffakers stuff a number of times. Simply excellent!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ive looked at Huffakers stuff a number of times. Simply excellent!

Yep, he's one of the better taxidermists in the country. His full body mounts are incredible

Huffaker did my kudu pedestal and it is very well done.
[Linked Image]
Here comes another...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I was glassing a couple of nice blackbuck rams yesterday in the TX hill country. They both looked like they'll be good shooters in December or January when they have a really dark coat. I love watching the rams with their harem. The other year I walked up on two rams fighting. I bet I got within 30 yards of them.

The ewes are good eating, it's just hard to find one that isn't bred. They breed year round, with their peak in March. I think their meat is like a cross between beef and venison.
Right you are! Best dark coats for mounting are in winter...and yes, its REALLY hard to find a doe that isn't bred...all it seems that they do is fight and breed . Their meat is good, but can be chewy. As I probably mentioned it does however make our favorite hamburgers...which we just had for dinner tonight!
Very Nice guys always wanted to shoot one myself! I think they make a Great mount!
Do they all go from tan to black depending on the time of year?
Do they all go from tan to black depending on the time of year?

Pretty much...but another variable is sexual dominance. A smaller horned male may very well be coal black if hes a bad ass and fights for the girls, while a truly big one may maintain a lighter color if hes not the sexually dominant one.

All tolled the winter months is when you'll see the darkest.....usually.
Have eaten Blackbuck, liked it. Prefer watching them. No interest in taking one. Congrat's on your yours Ingwe.
[Linked Image]

Wow, just wow! I've had a strong hankerin' to run a 77gr LRX via .22 Creed through one for awhile now. This winter might just be, the winter....!

X-VERMINATOR
I hunted one on my lease in the TX hill country years ago. I got out just as the sun was rising and found the herd out in a hayfield at about 350- 375 yards. I found a nice gun rest at the edge of the field while I contemplated a way to try to get a little closer. About that time they spooked and ran straight towards me. I shot the ram with a .257 WBY at under 50 yards.
Awesome geedubya!
Are the males called “rams”? I thought they were bucks (hence the name)
Lets mix things up a bit....I'll show you mine if you show me yours....

Ha!
I'm not falling for that again like I did last time I swung through Helena.....
Originally Posted by southtexas

Seems to depend on who you're talking to.

So, following that logic, what would the females be called ?
Following the logic, if the males are bucks, then the females would be does, I suppose.

OTOH, if the males are technically rams, then the females would be ewes?

I'm no biologist, but everyone I know calls the males bucks, and the females does.
Following the logic, if the males are bucks, then the females would be does, I suppose.

OTOH, if the males are technically rams, then the females would be ewes?

I'm no biologist, but everyone I know calls the males bucks, and the females does.

Then, wouldn't they be Blackbucks & Blackdoes?

I'm just pushing your buttons.....laugh
At my age, my buttons don't work anymore...
Anybody care to recommend a Texas Blackbuck hunt? Not interested in a "canned hunt" and if I can add hogs and predators, even better!

X-VERMINATOR
Originally Posted by xverminator
Anybody care to recommend a Texas Blackbuck hunt? Not interested in a "canned hunt" and if I can add hogs and predators, even better!

X-VERMINATOR

Pope Brothers
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

X-VERMINATOR

Pope Brothers

I would second that. PBGSO has a great reputation.

Another good one is Mike Savoy of Can-Tex Wildlife...

X-VERMINATOR

Pope Brothers

Been with both of those outfitters. Both do a great job.
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

X-VERMINATOR

Pope Brothers

Been with both of those outfitters. Both do a great job.

Good to get further confirmation. Thanks!
Thanks fellas!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: efw Re: Something Different: Blackbuck - 09/19/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is absolutely unworldly insane. Congrats.

Pretty much...but another variable is sexual dominance. A smaller horned male may very well be coal black if hes a bad ass and fights for the girls, while a truly big one may maintain a lighter color if hes not the sexually dominant one.

All tolled the winter months is when you'll see the darkest.....usually.

Yep. Mine wasn't that tall at only 17", but as you can see from his coat and the base of his horns, he was a badass. He was kicking the crap out of a 21" buck when we found him. I honestly thought he was the bigger one due to coat color and how badly he was whooping up on the other buck.

[Linked Image]
Gentlemen, those are all some sweet looking trophies.

What a beautiful animal.
One of mine...as it resides in my office..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I was thinking 🤔 quite different! 🥺

X-VERMINATOR

Stary Night Ranch in London Texas. They have hogs as well. Not sure what you mean by canned hunt but PM me if you want more details. They hunt over feeders and it's not a very large ranch. Great people, food and fun hunt.
Posted By: efw Re: Something Different: Blackbuck - 09/24/19
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I was thinking 🤔 quite different! 🥺

It is fun once on a while I do have to be careful not to hurt myself tho.

I guess that’s why I come... for the breaks 😂!
© 24hourcampfire