Home
My oldest son William killed his first big game animal this weekend... a beautiful Wyoming Antelope buck. He killed it at 225 yards after a great 1/4 mile sneak. He handled it all like a champ... I’m a pretty proud dad today.

A big public thank you to my buddy Donny and his son Ethan, who helped out with this hunt... and to Randy Newberg for sending William some swag and a great note for his birthday (including the hat Will is wearing).

He killed the buck with his new Tikka 7/08 running Nosler factory 120 NBT ammo.

The buck had apparently completely shattered the horn boss on the right horn in a fight about a week ago, as it was partially healed up. We’ll have to do some epoxy work to the euro mount.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oh heck ya Dog! Congrats William!
Good deal!

My first big game animal was a pronghorn too.
Awesome day, that was. I'd Imagine Will feels the same.

Congrats, William...especially on the stealth approach.
Those guys do some serious saber rattling when there's a fight.

Way to go there!
Very good....Congrats to the young man! It’s only the beginning. Many more memories to come! 👍 memtb
Nice!

Todd
In the words of one of FAV singers,

” FAR OUT “ !!!!

I’m happy for him.

Jerry
Congratulations he did very well...
Dog & Dawg! Big congrats! That is freakin awesome. Cloudwalkers for sure!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Outstanding! Knuckle-bump to William.
Well done! There should be more of this...young people enjoying the hunt.
Nice
Congratulations to the young man on a beautiful trophy. Nice photos!
Very nice josh!! Cool buck too! Grats
Doesn't get much better than that Dog! Congrats to you guys, love the pics.
Thanks fellas.... it was a hunt I’ve been looking forward to since the moment he was born. He seems to be walking a little taller these past few days...

I’m thinking he’s going to have pass on quite a few bucks... to kill one bigger.

Now he’s looking forward to his 3rd Season Colorado Mule Deer Hunt... I’ll report back on that too.

He killed that buck with shots number 6 and 7 out of the new Tikka. I still can’t figure out how he did it... seeing as it’s not a Creed, and he was shooting ping-pong ball ballistic tips steered by a Leupold. First shot was good.... but never a bad lesson to teach a kid to follow-up if stuff doesn’t go right down.
Congratulations. It'll be a hunt that you'll never forget. The best hunt that sticks in my mind was the one when my son killed his first deer.
Congrats to the young fella! Beautiful goat!

Roy
My son and I both killed antelope for our first big game hunts.

Congrats to both of you for a job well done. He'll never forget that feeling.
Congrats to the young man!
Nice buck. Congrats to you and William. Father and son memories seldom fade.
Congrats! I bet you are proud! As you should be!
Congratulations to both your son and you.
A very proud day for Dad!!!! It's petty special when your off spring makes it happen ! Many happy returns Dad !!!! Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Congratulations young man and you too dad!
Way to go, William. congrats.
Very cool, congrats to William!

Who taught him to shoot? grin
Posted By: efw Re: A boy... and his first buck... - 10/14/19
That’s absolutely fantastic man great work both of you congrats!!
congrats keep him hunting and he will be a find young man
Great goat and I hope the first of many successful hunts.
Spent a couple hours processing today... here’s how it ended up....

6 nice roasts, the neck roast, tenderloins, 6 nice chunks of backstrap, the heart, and about 17 lbs of ground.

Wrapped and headed fir the freezer...

The memory's don't get any better.....congrats
Congrats to both of you. My first big game was an antelope buck, 38 years ago. Still a wonderful memory. My son's first big game was an antelope doe 9 years ago, and that will rank at the top of my hunting memories for the rest of my life.

Thanks for sharing!
Big time fist bump to William!!!

Josh, if he decides he wants to shoot a 6 creed, you know where to find me....
Posted By: CRS Re: A boy... and his first buck... - 10/15/19
outstanding! congratulations!
Congratulations to your son.
Well done Dog & "Pup" !

grin
Very nice.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Awful kind of you Marty... He shot that rifle plenty before it ended up in your hands....

Once he drew his tags this summer, I tasked him with doing research, and deciding what cartridge he wanted for his big game rifle... though I did reserve the right of veto. It needed to be appropriate for Pronghorn, Deer, and Elk. After a lot of questions, and the perusing of several reloading manuals... he came up with 7/08 all on his own... so that’s what I got him. We shot it out to 550 today... and he missed his first coyote with it.... but I have a feeling he’s gonna clobber a lot of stuff with that little rifle over the next decade or so. Next up, is his Colorado 3rd Season Mule Deer tag in three weeks.
Super! Congrats to him! B&C memory for the two of you.
Awesome. Congrats to you and your boy!
Congrats to your boy! Way to get after it.
Dogshooter: My congratulations to your son and to you!
Way to go. Please pass along my congratulations to your son.
All three of my VarmintSons have also harvested Antelope early in their lives/Hunting careers, and your pictures bring back many special memories for me.
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: RNF Re: A boy... and his first buck... - 10/16/19
Looks like a good one, congrats to the young man.
That's great!
Congrats to the new hunter! Well done!
Yes indeed. well done and congrats to you both.
smile
Nothing like the first! Congratulations!
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Awful kind of you Marty... He shot that rifle plenty before it ended up in your hands....

Once he drew his tags this summer, I tasked him with doing research, and deciding what cartridge he wanted for his big game rifle... though I did reserve the right of veto. It needed to be appropriate for Pronghorn, Deer, and Elk. After a lot of questions, and the perusing of several reloading manuals... he came up with 7/08 all on his own... so that’s what I got him. We shot it out to 550 today... and he missed his first coyote with it.... but I have a feeling he’s gonna clobber a lot of stuff with that little rifle over the next decade or so. Next up, is his Colorado 3rd Season Mule Deer tag in three weeks.

Congrats to your son - that is a nice buck. And he must also be a darn smart kid:) He sure picked a great caliber!! I'm a bit partial to the 7MM-08 having owned a few - just ask Marty. Anyway, I'm sure he will have great luck with that rifle, looking forward to many more pictures with him and dead critters!!
Excellent work William!
Very nice! Great job!
Congratulations to William and dad! I watched my son shoot his first deer two years ago. It is an awesome experience.
Excellent. Love seeing that. Congrats to both of you.
Congratulations to Father and Son!!

Mike
Congratulations and good for you guys.
Congrats Dog...

to the proud son, and even prouder Dad...

father and son time.. out hunting... its what its all about...

doesn't get any better than that...
© 24hourcampfire