Home
Last night I caught a really big wild boar in my Boarbuster Trap. Going to finish him after work. Is there any particular cartridge or bullet that you guys want me to test,. I am a Looney of the first order and have a lot of different things to use.

I can shoot the boar right square in the shoulder in the gristle plate if necessary to put maximum stress on a bullet.

Thought it would be fun to take suggestions.
What have you got to try out that is interesting? I'd be thinking about something on the order of cup/core softpoints in .223 or .243 through the shoulders, to see if you get an exit. You know what the standard .27-30cal deer rounds are going to do.
I can get my hands on handguns chambered for 380,9mm,357 Sig,357 Magnum,40,10mm,41 mag,44mag,45 ACP,and 45 Colt.

In rifles I can get a hold of 223,243, 257 Roberts,6.5 Creed,6.5 PRC,,270,270 Mag,7mm-08,280,7mm Mag,30-30,300 Savage,308,30-06,300 Magnum,338 Federal,and 35 Remington.

In rimfires, 22,22 Mag,and 17 Mag.

That's about 30 different chamberings in the family that I can try. I have a good size Outdoor shop a block from the office that will have factory ammo for about all of them.

So let's have a poll. What will it be?
The 10mm might also be one that folks are interested in these days.
223 and 300 savage. Plain Jane bullets. Nothing premium.

I forgot the Marlin Carbines in 357,44 Mag,and a Rossi Carbine in 45 Colt.
So far a cup in core bullet out of 223,243,or 300 Savage.

Or maybe the Glock 10mm.

Any other suggestions? It will be a pretty severe test on any bullet at point blank range. If it fails to kill quickly,I will put the boar out of his misery with a quick shot under the ear. So the test will be done humanely.
Interested in the 10mm results......which bullets/ammo do you have available for it? Underwood/Buffalo Bore/Double Tap heavy 10mm ammo would be interesting to see.
I do not have any of the really hot 10mm Ammo. I think I have or can get Hornady XTPs. I can tell you from past experience that that they generally work well on hogs, But I could intentionally place the shot to put the bullet to the test.

I do have some Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Bullets in 45 Colt and maybe 41 or 44 mag.

I have killed a bunch of hogs with a 44 Magnum so I know how that works out.
Would love to see results of a 454 300 gn. shoulder to shoulder to see if it makes the trip. Thanks for your time Cheers NC
45 ACP is a question for me? Shot a finisher on a smallish boar, about 100# last March. But the shot was in the forehead. Splattered gray matter and blood quite a ways. Wondered what ball would do in the shoulder? Thanks and Be well, RZ.
Hey, really cool idea. I used to do this on big old beaver when we trapped, (after skinning) would like to see 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 because I'm thinking of buying a CZ or zastava in that caliber for kicking around the bush with. Maybe someone can fill me in anyways, don't have either cal . Bill out šŸ¾šŸ‘£šŸ”„
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
45 ACP is a question for me? Shot a finisher on a smallish boar, about 100# last March. But the shot was in the forehead. Splattered gray matter and blood quite a ways. Wondered what ball would do in the shoulder? Thanks and Be well, RZ.

Second this motion.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper

Second this motion.

I have already done it with 45 acp with ball ammo. We placed a magazine full of 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ into a 292 pound boar. None of them made it through the gristle plate. When we skinned him they were easy to find and looked unharmed. I think you could reload them and use them again. This hog was finished with a 35 Remington to the shoulder on the opposite side. 200 grain Corelokt. Dead right there real quick.

I have used 45 ACP hollow points for head shots since then. Worked fine.
Can you use a 120 NBT with the fastest .284 possible? I wanna know if they really do hold up as well as has been told here.

FC
Originally Posted by northcountry
Would love to see results of a 454 300 gn. shoulder to shoulder to see if it makes the trip. Thanks for your time Cheers NC

I sold my Freedom Arms 454 so no can do. I do have some heavy loads for a Ruger Bisley Stainless Hunter in 45 Colt that would do the trick I think.

That is something that I would like to see my self. I may have some loaded up for a 7mm-08. Nothing bigger ready to go though. I also have some 120 grain Ballistic Tips in a 260 Remington.
A real man would hand someone his beer, put on a loin cloth and go at it with a Bowie knife.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A real man would hand someone his beer, put on a loin cloth and go at it with a Bowie knife.

Yep. And then post a video. šŸ˜œ
300 H&H and 220gr Partitions. cool
Itā€™s done. 223 with 55 grain FMJ. Never tried that before. Dead right there with no issues. Much better killer than I would have expected.
shoulder shot or head?
Iā€™ve killed them with everything from a 22 to a 338 Win mag. Dead is dead!
Originally Posted by Ole_270
shoulder shot or head?

I know 223 FMJ sucks on lung hits with pigs.
Wife and I have been using Glock 20 10mm with 180 xtps for deer and pigs for a few years now. With one exception on a buck, results have been stellar. Not sure what happened with that buck at all. Did not find him until the next weekend.

I do know I didn't hit him in the shoulder bones. Entry was perfect lungs. Some deer just don't give up no matter at times.

Rest of shots have died within sight or just out of sight, longest run was 70 yards on a buck.

Pigs have not gone far if at all. Nothing bigger than about 150 on pigs so far though.

We carry 200 and 220 hardcast for bear protection but I don't like using it on game as it won't expand.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yep. And then post a video. šŸ˜œ

You're assuming he would be the one coming out of the trap
Iā€™ve killed a pile of pigs, big and small, with IMI 55gr ball out of a 16ā€ AR. Mostly shoulder or chest shots though I have earholed a few when given the opportunity. Never lost one and was actually quite impressed with how well they killed. I donā€™t know if they were tumbling or breaking up but I got some nasty exits at times. They werenā€™t nearly as decisive in coyotes. Maybe the heavier bones and muscles on pigs were causing them to rupture or destabilize and tumble. I do remember one that seemed to blow up and left a huge gaping hole where I shot him right behind the eye, no exit but a half dollar sized hole in the skull with bone chips everywhere.
My hunting bud perfected killing hogs in a trap. He takes his .17 HMR, shooting FMJ bullets. Slips up on the trap and while they're looking, before they start running around, he shoots them between the eyes, selecting an opening thru the wire panel. He draws an imaginary line between their eyes, goes an inch above at mid line. They drop without blood or running around, eyes popped out on a stem. Weird looking. He takes his time, kills the next one. It's about the slickest way to clear a trap without a lot of blood and confusion.

I've just put together a M-70 .416 Rem rifle for him to take buff hunting next year in Africa. I loaded some "bunny" loads to practice with on WT's and hogs. It a soft 350 gr. Speer over enough 4064 to get up to around 2,250 fps. Not that unpleasant, but does pack a punch. I'm sure that one would kill a hog or two, maybe even a WT.

DF
Seems the 55 fmj did more damage out of slow twist tubes years ago than fast ones... Wondering it it was not tumbling as it went through... from watching a buddy shoot a lot of stuff with a slow 12 twist and 55s...

If I use FMJ its going to be CNS just the way my mind works.
Iā€™m curious as to how. TSX/TTSX would penetrate that gristle plate in a .223 50gr. pill.
Originally Posted by strosfann
Iā€™m curious as to how. TSX/TTSX would penetrate that gristle plate in a .223 50gr. pill.

Iā€™ve probably shot 2 dozen pigs up to 275lb or so with the 53gr TSX from a 223. Whistles right through them shoulders and all. The ā€œGristle plateā€ is overblown IMO, itā€™s really just thick skin and easily cut with a sharp pocketknife.
Originally Posted by TheKid

Iā€™ve probably shot 2 dozen pigs up to 275lb or so with the 53gr TSX from a 223. Whistles right through them shoulders and all. The ā€œGristle plateā€ is overblown IMO, itā€™s really just thick skin and easily cut with a sharp pocketknife.

I load 62ā€™s, punches right through
M193 5.56 (223) tends to tumble then break at the cannelure. Makes a devastating wound on rice Burners and left handed butt wipers too. They tell me...my Marine SIL favored the 77gr HP on hajis. I killed an 80# shoat ( not in same league as an old boar, I know) with a 50gr XLC from a CZ 527 221 Fireball. made a 50 cal hole all the way through. I was down in Hanco's country, right out of Livingston, ha.
Originally Posted by Ole_270
shoulder shot or head?

Quartering, away shoulder neck junction.

I have seen 45 FMJs and 243 hollow points stopped in the gristle of the shoulder of big hogs,it is easy to cut with a knife but so is a kevlar vest.

It will stop bullets if the hog is big enough and the bullet isn't up to the task.
I shot that shoat tight behind the right shoulder and it came out center of left shoulder. Not a lot of bloodshot either.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Last night I caught a really big wild boar in my Boarbuster Trap. Going to finish him after work. Is there any particular cartridge or bullet that you guys want me to test,. I am a Looney of the first order and have a lot of different things to use.

I can shoot the boar right square in the shoulder in the gristle plate if necessary to put maximum stress on a bullet.

Thought it would be fun to take suggestions.

Pick something controversial that gets both a bunch of ā€œgreatest thing since sliced breadā€ and ā€œwouldnā€™t shoot even a coyote with one.ā€

Match bullets come to mind....

John
Something that kills him as humanely as possible. I never shot a boar and don't have a clue on what does or does not work. I know my brother has killed a ton of them and he uses a 257 weatherby.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I have seen 45 FMJs and 243 hollow points stopped in the gristle of the shoulder of big hogs,it is easy to cut with a knife but so is a kevlar vest.

It will stop bullets if the hog is big enough and the bullet isn't up to the task.

killed a 219lb boar with 62gr tsx 223,no problem. it didn't exit and i had to really look for the entrance hole. boar ran about 30 yrds.
As long as it's not a .270 with 130gr Corelokts you should be able to kill it with anything mentioned.
4570 with a homeƧast 405 hard cast at 1300 fps . Done deal.
Hummer soft or holler point between the eyes.

Or, invite D-Dan down with one of his "creations".
Jump in there and stick him with a Bowie. Mount your camera remotely. Have friends download to here.
The little ones will charge you, much less a big one. I need to learn how to post videos, I have videos of pigs in pens. They ainā€™t happy.
© 24hourcampfire