Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/25/19
Took this old boy last Monday morning. 412 yards with my 6mm Rem. I am very impressed with my suppressor. there is no doubt he & the group would have broken at the first shot had I not had it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/25/19
That’s a nice goat...Congrats and good shot. 😎
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/25/19
Nice. What's the story of the hunt? the extra shots?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Nice. What's the story of the hunt? the extra shots?

If you must know...we belly crawled through the snow to a shootng position at 312 yards. I was sitting and could not get still and settle on the scope. My first shot was over his back but the suppressor kept the bunch of does from breaking at the shot. They just ambled around, wondering what was going on.
I shot to his left 3 more times as they walked up a hill. Finally, he reached a place that allowed me to get prone and rest the rifle on a pack. That was at 412 yards and he went down at the shot.
I’m not proud that it took me so many rounds to hit him but I am proud that When I connected, it was a DRT shot.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
Congrats on a nice goat...
Posted By: Cascade Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
Congratulations! You're in for some mighty fine eating.

I'd like to get a suppressor for my hunting rifle someday - seems a worthwhile addition.

6mm Remington? Dad gave me one in 1974, a 700 BDL. My son still uses that old rifle. I've been handloading the little 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over Reloader 22 for that rifle, for a long time. Great little cartridge.

Gu
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
I pick up the processed meat today. This 6mm Rem is a custom barrel made for my Blaser R8. It's a 7.5'' twist and although I was shooting factory ammo on this hunt, I'll be loading for the long, high bc bullets this winter as I have plenty of room in the mag box.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
Nice heavy horned buck congratulations...
Thanks to all for your kind words.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19

Congrats on a pretty goat!

Hey, we've all missed. Anyone who says they never have, is either new to hunting, or a liar.
Isn't that the truth? I had my elevation right but my windage was off. I blame it on my inability to settle on the animal, fully. I wasn't comfortable and couldn't get that way. I guess I was lucky.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
Very nice buck! Great mass and nice prongs. Longer than he might first appear with the deep downward sweep. As far as the shooting, most of us have taken more shots than we would have liked a time or two but the clean kill is what counts in the end.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/26/19
Looks to have some heft to him. Nice buck. Very good grub, but we hunt them in this state before the rut kicks in. Let us know how the cuts go down.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
That is a nice goat you got there. I really like suppressors as well, just make a rifle so much more pleasant to shoot. Never saw much difference is the way game reacted but I suppose it might make a difference, especially if the wind was blowing.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
Nice!!!
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
Congrats!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
Regarding suppressors on game, my only experience is what I saw Monday and what my hunting partner saw that same day. When the shot broke, the animals moved around a bit but did not spook.
My hunting partner had his goat on the ground and thought he was going to have to shoot again but could not due to the mule deer walking all around the downed pronghorn. In both cases, the animals seemed to not be aware of danger or sense from what direction it came.
These were pronghorns that had been hunted and were pretty skittish.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
Congrats on the fine buck, hunting antelope in the snow can by fun or can be tough if you can't get around once it starts melting off a bit. Good buck for sure with great mass!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/27/19
Again, thanks to all for the kind words. This old boy is to become a shoulder mount and will grace the fireplace at my ranch house.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I pick up the processed meat today. This 6mm Rem is a custom barrel made for my Blaser R8. It's a 7.5'' twist and although I was shooting factory ammo on this hunt, I'll be loading for the long, high bc bullets this winter as I have plenty of room in the mag box.
who made the barrel
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Elmer Laitala. He's retired now but has a guy who's taken his place.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Congratulations on a really nice buck! You are "the man" for crawling in that cactus, ha. I have "missed" more antelope than any other big game! Thankfully, I've never "wounded any". That confounded invisible wind "out there" has been my biggest nemesis. Other times, I had the wind "blowing me around" while trying to shoot! I still think that a bullet that has a high b.c. helps though. smile
Posted By: szihn Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Dang OSUSig, You should have given me a heads-up and let me know you were in Wyoming. Might have been close enough to meet.
Where'd you get the goat?
If you want to come back let me know first. I may be able to give you some tips, depending on what area you draw the license for.
Sorry Steve. I just wasn’t thinking. I was north of Gillette in Area 1. I’ll do a better job of communicating next time.

How close to Gillette are you?
Posted By: szihn Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Oh Heck, I could not have helped you up there anyway. I never go that far north for antelope. I am in the Wind River Valley in the center of Wyoming. Sometimes I have to go 5 minutes to my hunting grounds ---- and the "long distance travels" for me are up to an hour. Best ground for larger horns are "far away" and I have been known to drive an hour for those, but my meat goats are usually shot within a few minutes of where I live.
This one was shot about 1 hour away.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20190918_192803902 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/29/19
Congratulations on your hunt. We hunted 73 west of Casper. It was awesome.
Very nice goat, Steve. Congrats.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/30/19
z, what caliber????
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/30/19
Nice goat, gratz neighbor.
Posted By: szihn Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/30/19
That M95 Winchester is one of the new ones. It's a 270.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/30/19
Thanks !!!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/30/19
I always hit the ones I get with one shot. All the other shots are to herd them to where I want them for the kill shot...honest...

NICE goat there! cool
Posted By: Scotty Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/31/19
Nice goat, Congratulations.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/31/19
Congrats
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I always hit the ones I get with one shot. All the other shots are to herd them to where I want them for the kill shot...honest...

NICE goat there! cool

I like your plan...
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/03/19
Well done. Congrats.
Posted By: ChrisLapp Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/05/19
I'd like to try that one day. Fabulous animal
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/06/19
Pronghorn is wonderful table fare, too.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/08/19
Is it hard to get so much as a decent antelope? I never did it and dont have any idea where to start , except for Wyoming.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Congrats on a pretty goat!

Hey, we've all missed. Anyone who says they never have, is either new to hunting, or a liar.

And I never lost a fist fight either...:)

Nice work! You got it done.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/08/19
Very nice buck!

Wyoming pronghorn is in my 3 year plan. I lived just outside of Casper when I was in kindergarden. I don't remember a whole lot about living out there except the mountains and the pronghorn.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/08/19
Originally Posted by ihookem
Is it hard to get so much as a decent antelope? I never did it and dont have any idea where to start , except for Wyoming.

Depends what you call "decent". I just got home from a drive to the airport in Gillette, about an hour each way on RT90. Each way I saw roughly 500 antelope, they are grouped up so seeing them 50 at a time is kinda cool!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
Originally Posted by ihookem

I'm not as experienced as some here but have taken 6-7 over the past few years. Wyoming is a great state to hunt pronghorn because there are lots of them and I believe there are ample places to hunt. You might reach out to the Wyoming Fish & Game and get some information about public hunting areas. If you are looking for something more than public access and a DIY hunt, there are lots of really good outfitters that can get you in position for a good animal.

New Mexico is another state that has great numbers of animals and there are some really big ones there. Hope this helps.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
pretty typical goat....30 minutes from town on public land, LOTS like this and you do NOT have to be sniper qualified! 125(ish) yd shot

Attached picture image1.jpeg
Posted By: ihookem Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
Thanks, 65Jeffrey, that is very decent . I only hunt public land and that would be a nice trophy for me.
What unit was it?
Posted By: AKduck Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
Nice goat. I’ve never shot one but hope to remedy that next season.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Regarding suppressors on game, my only experience is what I saw Monday and what my hunting partner saw that same day. When the shot broke, the animals moved around a bit but did not spook.
My hunting partner had his goat on the ground and thought he was going to have to shoot again but could not due to the mule deer walking all around the downed pronghorn. In both cases, the animals seemed to not be aware of danger or sense from what direction it came.
These were pronghorns that had been hunted and were pretty skittish.

This behavior is what I have observed in South Africa when my friend's suppressed 270 Win was used.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Wyoming Pronghorn - 11/09/19
Nice goat! I've been buying points for Wyoming since it's impossible to hunt them in AZ
© 24hourcampfire