Home
A bud and I want to hunt them in 2020. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to ranches which offer guided 1 or 2 day hunts. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
The King ranch is where it all started. The Norias unit has a lot of them. There are some public hunts available but it can be tough especially after you get one down.
DoubleShot Outfitters, Pierce Trophy Hunts, Wildlife Systems, Lomas Chicas. There's a bunch of good outfitters down there. I talked to the King last year about booking a group and they had went up on pricing. They are still a good deal for a day hunt.
Yturria out of Raymondville? Is where I took two of them years ago. A bit more affordable pricing and good hunts and good quality if that matters to you.

I know a gal that guides on the King, at least used to, I can check with her too if she still does and costs. PM if interested.
Thanks for the responses men. As always, the fire is a great source for information. Please keep em coming.
i'm going to hunt the landcut in jan or feb.
stx - what and where is the land cut, if you don't mind?
Lurking here if I may. Son and I are a bit interested. Be Well, Rusty.
No additional information? Be Well, Rustyzipper.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Land+Cut/@27.0839472,-97.4705169,10639m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8668b565a18ee31b:0xdd466b54b7c839aa!8m2!3d27.0086634!4d-97.4474854
[Linked Image]
Interesting hunt..
Where ever you decide, hotsoup, wishing you a great and successful hunt!! I’m headed back down to family friends ranch in Kenedy county in a couple of weeks. Doubt I’ll hunt much. But good to get away. Be sure and keepnus posted of your results.
They are big! What are you going to hunt them with?
Originally Posted by hanco

Anything other than a Creedmoor would be inhumane.

God, please forgive me. Sometimes I can't help myself.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Anything other than a Creedmoor would be inhumane.

God, please forgive me. Sometimes I can't help myself.

If you can shoot, a Creedmoor will work! cool laugh crazy

Sorry there is no manbun emoji.
Originally Posted by rost495
Yturria out of Raymondville? Is where I took two of them years ago. A bit more affordable pricing and good hunts and good quality if that matters to you.

I know a gal that guides on the King, at least used to, I can check with her too if she still does and costs. PM if interested.

Also hunted Yturria with L&L. Lots of bulls.
Hunted Yturria, too.

DF
To get your blood pumping, last November I saw just as many big bulls on the place as I did deer! And it’s a small place. Good luck!
A college buddy of mine owned a ranch just south of Raymondville and he hated the Nilgai for eating the grass his cattle needed. He shot them and ran over them with his big ranch truck. He always invited me to come shoot all I wanted, but it was a long drive, so I shoot mine near San Antonio at the AOA Ranch at Hondo.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

This was taken for table meat recently.

.375 Ruger works pretty well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have a 22 Hornet, or 458 SOCOM, 458 American, 9.3x62, 358 Winchester, 350 Rem Mag,...…………..
use the hornet
Originally Posted by pete53
use the hornet

grin

After all, from the far North we learn, "it's the boolit, not the headstamp"... wink

How big a boolit can that Hornet throw...?

DF
from the north with a light at night a 50 grainer`n shot in the eye nocks them dead " i have been told" GRIN
from the north with a light at night a 50 grainer`n shot in the eye nocks them dead " i have been told" GRIN

grin

Locally, the .22 WMR is the choice to use with a bright light... Shine those eyes, shoot between them, meat on the table...

Or so I've been told... wink

The round is a constant, the variable is how much candle power... blush

DF
yes your right tuff to beat a 22 WMR with a light but for a Nilgai might need the bigger stuff like a 22 Hornet ? maybe a K-Hornet ?
yes your right tuff to beat a 22 WMR with a light but for a Nilgai might need the bigger stuff like a 22 Hornet ? maybe a K-Hornet ?

Between the eyes, busting the skull, maybe.

Eye socket hit,... Naaah... wink

DF
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'm going to hunt the landcut in jan or feb.

Let me know if you need some help, Rog.
I would use my 30-06 with 180gr partitions, but I keep reading about places that require a 300 win mag , or larger. Once we decide on an outfitter I'll try to negotiate for the 06. Thanks for the responses.
If you check some of the penetration tests, the 30 cal 200 gr. NPT is one of the best penetrating bullets, even beats out some bigger rounds. Hit’em right with one of those.

DF
Kaywoodie says the .30cal 220gr round nose poleaxes 'em! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I killed mine with a 165gr Hornady Interbond out of my 300 Win Mag.I see no reason a good bullet from a 30-06 won't work.
Shucks Tmitch! I wasn’t gonna post that! 😊

I knew a game warden down there (since deceased) who’s fav rifle was a Ruger#1 in .220 Swift. I dunno how may he slew with that rifle.

Added note!

Be careful Texians! Whatever you say, do not say they are a pest and the ranchers want ‘em gone!!!

Heh heh heh!
I saw one on Facebook the other day that was killed with a 6.5 creed.It's really about shot placement.But sometimes shots don't always end up perfect.I'm a big advocate for using enough gun.If I'm gonna shoot something,I want to make sure it's gonna bleed.Trying to find something in that thorny South Texas brush is no fun if your just looking for sign with little or no blood to follow.
True bald hunter! I’ve tracked em on hands and knees thru the fun stuff. Tracked others a long way spitting up hunks of lung the size of your fist. They can be tough, fun and rewarding. But you are right. A boom-flop is strongly encouraged. And not impossible.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Shucks Tmitch! I wasn’t gonna post that! 😊

I knew a game warden down there (since deceased) who’s fav rifle was a Ruger#1 in .220 Swift. I dunno how may he slew with that rifle.

Added note!

Be careful Texians! Whatever you say, do not say they are a pest and the ranchers want ‘em gone!!!

Heh heh heh!

Absolutely good advice!

You'll have welfare hunters from all over the country trashing you because you don't let a pickup load of dumbasses in per day. FREE, no less... laugh

Edit to correct mistake:

I said "free"... when I really meant the landowner is expected to "pay" the dumbasses for ridding them of such hideous pests... grin
Originally Posted by Bighorn

.375 Ruger works pretty well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice, Bighorn!!!!!
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I saw one on Facebook the other day that was killed with a 6.5 creed.It's really about shot placement.But sometimes shots don't always end up perfect.I'm a big advocate for using enough gun.If I'm gonna shoot something,I want to make sure it's gonna bleed.Trying to find something in that thorny South Texas brush is no fun if your just looking for sign with little or no blood to follow.

Not surprised.

Them Creeds are magic... grin

I have one, like it.

If I was going Nilgai hunting, think I'd take my 338-06 with 210 NPT's.

Just 'cause. And it's my latest Loony project.

DF
Dirtfarmer,

I bet that will knock em stiff! Good luck!
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Not surprised.

Them Creeds are magic... grin

I have one, like it.

If I was going Nilgai hunting, think I'd take my 338-06 with 210 NPT's.

Just 'cause. And it's my latest Loony project.

DF

That 338-06 is bad medicine in a 30-06 case.I'm liking mine too.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Dirtfarmer,

I bet that will knock em stiff! Good luck!

Don't think they'll bounce off...

DF
Its on my bucket list for sometime in the near future, From what I have seen on allot of the websites of the ranches that hunt them, they have a minimum of 300 win mag with a premium bonded bullet so you should make sure if you are going with an outfitter. King Ranch seems to have the best price on a 1 day hunt that I have found so far.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Its on my bucket list for sometime in the near future, From what I have seen on allot of the websites of the ranches that hunt them, they have a minimum of 300 win mag with a premium bonded bullet so you should make sure if you are going with an outfitter. King Ranch seems to have the best price on a 1 day hunt that I have found so far.

If I was gonna use my 300 WM, I'd work up loads for the 200 NPT and go kill one.

168 TTSX is another good one in that round.

DF

If I was gonna use my 300 WM, I'd work up loads for the 200 NPT and go kill one.

DF

I actually have a 200gr nosler partition already worked up for my 300 win mag. I also have a ruger 77 safari 458 lott which I inherited from my brother and I need a reason to take it out and hunt with it. Seems like a good excuse to go on a nilgai hunt seeing as alaskan brown bear and african cape buffalo are out of my price range.
King ranch. Had oscar and will for guide. I'd go again for sure

DF

The 165 TTSX was created specifically for the .300 Win Mag to put the ogive closer to the lands and still fit in a standard size magazine.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/faq/
Originally Posted by jeffbird

DF

The 165 TTSX was created specifically for the .300 Win Mag to put the ogive closer to the lands and still fit in a standard size magazine.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/faq/

Gotcha.

DF
© 24hourcampfire