Home
Bear season opened up this weekend and my son wanted to get one with my M-S .358 Win. The kid has class! He isn't flat brimming and man bunning. He has taken a few Black bears before, but never with the M-S.

Load was 49.0 grs of TAC under a 225 gr Woodleigh. The Woodleighs shot a little more accurately than the 200 gr Hornady's that I used to use in a BLR that I had. The Woodleigh went through the bear's neck and it dropped on the spot. Very impressive! Check out the exit wound. I don't think we ever saw that much blood.

This was his largest to date. 321 pounds. Sorry about the rotated picture of the scale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice, my same load in my 358, except I run 225 sgk... Nice work
Thanks! Been pulling out the safe queens.

Have you chromed your load Jud? Barrel length? What primers? I am using Fed Match LR.
I haven’t, I’m running same primer as you, rifle is the ruger American, 1-12” @20”
Where’d he get that sweet Predator jacket? I had a pullover for years that was a Copenhagen promo but I finally pitched it.

Nice bear too.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Where’d he get that sweet Predator jacket? I had a pullover for years that was a Copenhagen promo but I finally pitched it.

Nice bear too.

Ha, that was my jacket. Bought it here in the classifieds years ago. It is super warm!
Congratulations
I have used my 35 Whelen loaded to 358 levels on a lot of big hogs using the Woodleigh 225, great bullet. That is a nice bear for sure. Perfect neck shot.
Congratulations! Bad A$$!
Neat Rifle! Very nice bear! Good Kid!.....what's not to like?
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Nice bear too.

Ha, that was my jacket. Bought it here in the classifieds years ago. It is super warm!

Checked the label and made in the USA when Cabelas was Cabelas!

Nice bear too.

Checked the label and made in the USA when Cabelas was Cabelas!

The good stuff! I wish I could find another one. Not many times I wear camo but predator calling is one of them, and that pattern is perfect for winter around here.
Nice! Congrats!

Todd
[quote=Sakoluvr]Bear season opened up this weekend and my son wanted to get one with my M-S .358 Win. …"

Um, I think that has now become "His" M-S .358 Win. grin Congratulations!
Nice!
well done. best jerky you ever et. wink
Congrats to the boy on his bear with an excellent shot!
Excellent bear! Congratulations on the bear!

I have that jacket and wore it on the elk hunt this year for the first time in years. I really like it when there is a bit of snow around although it breaks up the outline anywhere. Too warm for western Washington most of the time. I’m not wild about hoods unless it is really blowing cold. Happy Trails
Nice bear ! Congrats !
Nice bear.

Congratulations to your son!!

Love the 35's.......built a Whelen and looking into a .358 Win........absolute authority on game!!!!

There is a distinct notable way deer and hogs react to being hit with a .35.....much more so than other calibers I have hunted with.

I was reticent in its effect of which I had heard.......now after using the Whelen 3 times I am a believer.

Again...Congratulations on a fine bear!!!!

Best
HeavyDove
Thank you all.
Super nice, I have a 358, I sure like it!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Taking my 358 on its maiden voyage into the woods for black bear tomorrow. I hope I’ll be posting pics soon.

MM
That is so cool.

A .358 MS is gotta be pretty rare. Lucky you.

Is that your hat too?😜 My "kids" still borrow guns from time to time, but my clothes are now too short and too wide!
Pappy, too funny. YES, that WAS my hat!

Yup, I don't think I ever saw another M S in .358 Win. I bought this one a bunch of years ago from a gun shop. I have its twin with double set triggers and an 18" barrel instead of 20" in 6.5x54.

He shot a coyote with it this year.

He is the best hunting partner I ever had. Gonna miss him one of these days. He is trying to get into med school.

[Linked Image]
The 358 Mannlicher Shoenauer is a rare classic indeed!
Ohhhhh that gun. Is it his now? That is a classic I would like to own one day. I let one go because of the cost at a Kansas city gun show when it was in the bottoms south of the river. $1,100. Sounds like a young man with a plan. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Cool thread thanks for sharing
Congratulations to you and your son.
whelennut
Is that just a single trigger or a single set trigger?I have a Styer M/S in 9X56mm and it is close to a 358 Winchester in power. I use 250 gr RN drawing through a ring die to get .355 bullets. "Drawing" not swaging. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
that is so cool!
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Is that just a single trigger or a single set trigger?I have a Styer M/S in 9X56mm and it is close to a 358 Winchester in power. I use 250 gr RN drawing through a ring die to get .355 bullets. "Drawing" not swaging. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

This one has a single trigger. I am not aware of a factory single set trigger on a M-S. Just the double set trigger.
Originally Posted by roninflag
that is so cool!

Thanks! Sometimes it's the rifle and not the trophy that makes it all so satisfying.
Nice!!
Nothing like hunting with a son. My boy and I are going turkey hunting this weekend.
I too have an MS in 358 but mine is the original model 1906 in 9x56. I hope to get chance at a bear with it. Your son is a fine hunter to keep his cool on such a nice bear. I have a feeling he will be borrowing it a lot more often from now on. Tell him congratulations for me.
© 24hourcampfire