Home
Looking to take my wife on an antelope hunt for our 40 th. anniversary. Not looking for trophies, just a good hunt. Any recommendations ?
We used Rockin 7 in Wyoming a few years ago. Very happy with the owner Brad Reese and his crew. Good food, lots of antelope on a gorgeous ranch. We flew into Denver and it was an easy drive north to his operation
Tag
PM sent
Posted By: GRF Re: Wyoming antelope outfitters ? - 12/07/19
Following this with interest
Ross Adney www.beavertrapoutfitters I took my daughter and her friend this previous Oct and they had a blast. Laid back easy going hunt. I’ll try and get a pic or two. I did a write up on here on the general big game forum.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

tag
Posted By: Tuco Re: Wyoming antelope outfitters ? - 12/07/19
S-N-S Outfitters. My buddy and I hunted antelope with S-N-S outside Casper and had a wonderful time. Cannot recommend highly enough.

It is just too easy to hunt antelope in Wyoming, an outfitter is not needed. Especially, if your not trophy hunting. Tons of public land, mostly hunt from the seat of your pickup truck, towns for food/lodging are always reasonably close by, or bring your camper and “boondock “ on public land! A decent set of binoculars, a map, a gps with “chip” showing hunt areas and land ownership (optional), and the ability to hit your target at 300 yards.....and your antelope hunting! memtb

PS: Check out the Wyo. Game and Fish website. It gives Hunt area draw percentages, Hunter success percentages, public land access and availabilities. A little bit of homework and you can have the pleasure of having a successful DIY hunt!
Do you have any PP ? You would only need an outfitter if you don't have PP and want to draw a tag in a mostly private land area.
If you have PP, I would apply for a good area and make reservations at a nice place to stay and do a DIY hunt.
Allow some extra days for sight seeing and fishing etc.
Pronghorn are one animal that you definitely don't need an outfitter for if you can draw a decent tag.
Posted By: efw Re: Wyoming antelope outfitters ? - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by wytex
Do you have any PP ? You would only need an outfitter if you don't have PP and want to draw a tag in a mostly private land area.
If you have PP, I would apply for a good area and make reservations at a nice place to stay and do a DIY hunt.
Allow some extra days for sight seeing and fishing etc.
Pronghorn are one animal that you definitely don't need an outfitter for if you can draw a decent tag.

+1
You won't find many residents recc. SNS. The owner is very pro outfitter welfare in our state.
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Looking to take my wife on an antelope hunt for our 40 th. anniversary. Not looking for trophies, just a good hunt. Any recommendations ?

I sent you a lengthy PM. Did you receive it?
Check out Southfork Mountain Outfitters in Buffalo. Wife and I have been twice. LOTS of antelope on big private ranches.

If you go to the Harrisburg PA show, Holli is always there, lots of others as well!
DIY pretty much anywhere from gillette to Casper to Rawlings. Its crawling with goats. Draw a tag, buy a leftover and go cover some ground. Fun hunting.
tag
Originally Posted by salmonhead
DIY pretty much anywhere from gillette to Casper to Rawlings. Its crawling with goats. Draw a tag, buy a leftover and go cover some ground. Fun hunting.

Are there typically decent leftover tags? By decent I mean public land enough to hunt with good chance for a decent DIY hunter to kill a goat. Buck, doe, whatever
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Are there typically decent leftover tags? By decent I mean public land enough to hunt with good chance for a decent DIY hunter to kill a goat. Buck, doe, whatever

Last year there where few of any tags left over. But there are tags you can draw in units with lots of private that if you do a bit of homework and really look at the private/public yes you can have a fun hunt and fill your tags. Some might require a bit more walking to get into tough to access public but yes it can be done.

You’re operating on antiquated information. The days of leftover tags are pretty much over. And the days of leftover tags in areas with any amount of public land are long gone.
I think it would be best to go with an outfitter since you're taking your wife for your anniversary. As others have said, you just can't get a license anymore in an area with lots of public land, unless you have several preference points. If I were paying an outfitter, I'd go in the Northeast, where there are lots of leftover tags and you could buy up to six tags each.
Tag
tag
Originally Posted by bdan68
I think it would be best to go with an outfitter since you're taking your wife for your anniversary. As others have said, you just can't get a license anymore in an area with lots of public land, unless you have several preference points. If I were paying an outfitter, I'd go in the Northeast, where there are lots of leftover tags and you could buy up to six tags each.

Agreed.

The OP hasn't commented since his original post. Probably not interested anymore.
Posted By: GRF Re: Wyoming antelope outfitters ? - 12/24/19
There a lot of folks watching this with interest, who really appreciate the great input from folks in the know.

Thanks to all who have posted and those who will post, I have found this interesting and illuminating. It takes an incredibly long time to draw an antelope tag in Alberta and I am looking to expand my antelope opportunities in my retirement.

Merry Christmas to all.

GRF
Still interested and have contacted a couple of the recommended outfitters. Yes, an outfitter is the way I will go because of time constraints and the fact that it is an anniversary present. Thank you all for your time and recommendations. Hopefully I will be able to report back this Fall.
Originally Posted by GRF
There a lot of folks watching this with interest, who really appreciate the great input from folks in the know.

Thanks to all who have posted and those who will post, I have found this interesting and illuminating. It takes an incredibly long time to draw an antelope tag in Alberta and I am looking to expand my antelope opportunities in my retirement.

Merry Christmas to all.

GRF

PM sent
You won't find many residents recc. SNS. The owner is very pro outfitter welfare in our state.

+1 SNS is a DIY hunter's worst enemy.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

What is SNS?
Originally Posted by albertadave
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

What is SNS?

S-N-S Outfitters. Sy Gilliam owner. He's the spokesperson for outfitter welfare, wants to be able to sell landowner tags to the highest bidder etc.etc. He's a State legislator and G&F commissioner brown-noser.
Nice read and info. I’m planning on taking my kids this year or next on a DIY hunt in WY. Time is the biggest obstacle. We’ll each have 5 points or more. I’d prefer a deer / antelope hunt since we have the points for both. Trophy animal is a plus but not needed.
Recommendations appreciated.
I'm tagging in as well. A friend and I are starting to plan for this hunt as well, DIY. Gonna plan for 5 days on the ground btwn travel.
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook

Call TJ at BearTrackOutfitters in Buffalo. we’ve shot nice goats every time we’ve hunted with them.
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Nice read and info. I’m planning on taking my kids this year or next on a DIY hunt in WY. Time is the biggest obstacle. We’ll each have 5 points or more. I’d prefer a deer / antelope hunt since we have the points for both. Trophy animal is a plus but not needed.
Recommendations appreciated.

Lots of great areas for your PP and no guide needed. Plenty of region tags for deer that would be a good hunt as well. The combo is doable but you may need more days for the deer.
No use in wasting those pronghorn PP without taking a nice buck. It will be easier to get a good pronghorn than a nice mule deer , I'm talking mature bucks either species.
You will save a ton by going DIY and have the pride on knowing you didn't need the help of an outfitter to get your animals. You'll see plenty of bucks, pronghorn, in a 5+PP area and pressure will depend on when you come out, avoid opening week.
Best mule deer hunting is late Oct for pre rut bucks showing up with doe groups.
An antelope only trip would leave time for fishing or bird hunting as well. Good fun for the kids.
© 24hourcampfire