Home
Posted By: 1minute Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/22/19
A slow day so rooting through some more of Cookie's images from this past fall.

With all my formative years in the east and white tails being the largest quarry available there, I thought this image might illustrate how awestruck I was the first time I approached a downed elk here in the west. Walking up to my first, about 1 1/2 miles from the trailhead and in 18" of snow, my initial thought was "holy sh-t." One quarter can weigh as much as the typical deer. Makes the deer seem almost dainty. Just suggested to Cookie that she pair up a moose and deer at her next opportunity.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have a good one,
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/22/19
I'll never forget the first time I walked up to a downed elk in Colo. Grabbed hold of a hock in order to reposition it to start skinning. My first clue was that my hand couldn't go all the way around, my second was when I pulled and it didn't budge. Luckily my buddies showed up to help and we had horses.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/22/19
If you get an elk on a hillside in snow, you'd better quickly decide if you want it at the bottom and tie it to something if you don't. If one gets sliding and rolling, you aren't going to stop it.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/23/19
Unique photo, thanks for sharing
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/23/19
If you get an elk on a hillside in snow......

It can be a good thing if camp is at the bottom. Such has allowed me to make it to camp with the whole carcass in three instances.

That was not the case once in Hell's Canyon though. Went to camp and retrieved every line to be had before touching that bull. Looked like an attack by Spiderman.
Posted By: Tri70 Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/24/19
Beautiful picture!
Posted By: deltakid Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/24/19
I really do enjoy her pictures. Only problem is there are never enough of them!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/24/19
Tri70 and deltakid:

Thanks for the comments. Our hosting server might get upset if Cookie dumped even a seasonal load here. For a 67 year old chick though, she really gets with it.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year,
Posted By: Springcove Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/24/19
Great picture as always. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your wife.

Thank you for sharing her pictures
Posted By: pete53 Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/24/19
yep when a elk is down especially a bull it looks like the size of a horse laying there.and work is about to begin !
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/28/19
Originally Posted by pete53
yep when a elk is down especially a bull it looks like the size of a horse laying there.and work is about to begin !

Been a dream of mine forever. Family and work have taken priority thus far. I need to make it happen!
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Mixed Company (1-pic) - 12/28/19
Always wanted to hunt elk.
© 24hourcampfire