Home
Posted By: Matty99669 Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Just curious about others hunting enviornments. Whats the make and caliber of your "go-to" rifle? The one you take out most in a season. The one you could never sell if they are all one in the same.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Tikka T3 lite stainless in 7mm-08.

Deer elk antelope, dead right know.

P
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Seekins Havak 6.5 prc 139 scenars
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Classic stainless 9.3x62
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Winchester 70 EW, 308 in McMillan Edge stock. Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40
Posted By: okie john Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Stainless Model 70 in 30-06, Bansner stock, Leupold 3-9 or 4x.

Okie John
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
M70 CRPF in McMillan Classic W/Rock #4 1:8 22-250/75 A-max rides in the truck the most.

SS M70 Fwt, McMillan FWt pattern stock, 270Win, 140TSX fills the most tags.
Posted By: AML Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Model 94 Winchester in 30-30.
My custom 28 nosler is hard to beat. Long range coues deer, hammers em. Long range elk, hammers em all the same.

Kills out to 719 on coues, and 767 on elk.

180 berger Hybrids with a MV of 3202 are hard to beat.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
My FN Mauser 98 in 7X57 with a 1980's era Redfield 3-9X. I'm good for deer, elk, antelope, bear and if I can ever draw a moose tag, I'll hunt that with the 7x57 too. I have a great load with 160 grain Partitions and 47 grains of H4350. It shoots lights out.
Posted By: WAM Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
The one with the most use lately is a .300 Weatherby Mark V, but the one with most tags filled is a Remington 700 .35 Whelen and it will never go down the road until I do. Happy Trails
Posted By: nathanial Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
A few go to’s depending.
Pre 64 Winchester 8x68S
308 Barrett Fieldcraft
6.5x55 Barrett Fieldcraft
223 Kimber Montana
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Starting from a Sako .222 all the way up to a Weatherby Mark V .460 Wby.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
I have several I could use and be happy with as the "one". But I'm easily distracted by beautiful and functional rifles that are a little exotic. I just purchased this one today from Ralf Martini, and if it works out as I hope & expect, it will be the "one" that will serve well for Saskatchewan Whitetail, Mule deer, Pronghorn, Elk, Moose and Bear. - A Gleschow Custom Model 98 in 7x64mm.

Description: Glenschow '98 7x64
Attached picture 20191028_221005-728x237.jpg
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
I have rifles for LR shooting and for bigger critters, but for local hunting WT's and hogs, it's hard to beat my 7-08. It's a Bobby Hart built 700 in a Hunters Edge, 3-9x40 Conquest with elevation turret added later. I've ordered a ballistic tape for my current fav load, the 140 SGK HPBT. It's the most accurate and is a bit more expansive than the 120 NBT, my other fav bullet. We chest shoot our deer and the more expansive bullet should put them down a bit faster. I've killed deer with both bullets; they all died.

DF
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

460 for them humongous, vicious NM Jackwabbits... shocked

Takes major firepower to anchor one in full attack mode, trying to eat ya..... grin.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Takes major firepower to anchor one in full attack mode, trying to eat ya..... grin.

DF

Of course,I value my skin. wink
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Matty99669, My wife and I were just this morning having a discussion along these lines..... calibers, cartridges, recoil, ect., she loves her .338 WM. She uses it for all of her big game hunting, and occasionally for coyotes.....though we rarely go out for coyotes! One rifle, one load, one zero for everything we hunt. If I were starting over, and knew that I’d never make an African hunt.....I’d probably step-down to a .338 WM. memtb
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20

DF

A wise choice for “jacks”......they’re classified as “predators” here in Wyoming. They must be treated with respect! grin memtb
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Browning BLR 308

700 BDL 7 mag

7600 30-06
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Browning BLR 308

700 BDL 7 mag

7600 30-06
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Kleinguenthers
Posted By: GreggH Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
My Ruger 77 .257 Roberts with Zeiss 3x9 suits my hunting in SC just fine.
GreggH
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by memtb

DF

A wise choice for “jacks”......they’re classified as “predators” here in Wyoming. They must be treated with respect! grin memtb

A lot of truth there, Jacks is why we don't have Elephant, Rhino, etc... grin
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Ruger # 1 custom Brux barrel 257 Weatherby Mag. with a Nightforce scope,always my handloads .
Posted By: szihn Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
I love to hunt with old fashioned guns and mostly with iron sights. But if the guns were to be judged on the ballistic merits of their power range, accuracy and the trajectory that most closely matched the ability to make hunting easier, the 2 I would choose are:

#1 My 270 Winchester for open ground hunting of deer elk and antelope. (I seldom do this on the 1st one because it makes the hunts too easy and fast. With my 270 hits to 550 yards are quite easy, and getting inside of 550 yards is very very easy )

#2 My 9.3X62 or my 375H&H for brush and timber hunting where we have a lot of elk, some moose and a lot of grizzlies. (I do use these rifles quite a lot because they are both classic Mausers and I like them a lot, but also because the number of Grizzles make me feel a bit better in heavy brush when I have a "bigger club" in my hands to hit with)
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
The last two years has been my Barrett Fi.ldcraft in 6,5 X55 with a Swaro Z3. I'm pretty scatter brained about what rifle I take so it could be anything. For about 25 years my go to rifle was my Remington 700 Ti in 7RSAUM with a Zeiss Conquest 3-10 and 140 gr. TTSX handloads. Her name is Thumper!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
My favorite is my Howa 1500 .308 LW. Shots here can be from powder-burn (The vast majority are short range) to several hundred yards. After hunting with it for several years without too many mods, it's in the process of a few changes.

It will be pillar-bedded, new 20" SS aftermarket barrel of slightly heavier contour, and the VX-3i 2.5-8X36 in Talley LWs will be replaced by a NF SHV 3-10X42 in NF rings and rail. It already had an aftermarket trigger. This project should come together in the next couple of weeks, then we'll start shakedown...

The small weight increase will be well worth the increase in confidence, I hope.

With an overall length slightly longer than a 94 Winchester, it handles good, and a little more weight out front will help it balance better. Being muzzle-light always irritated me a little, so I decided to do something about it.

Before I started...there's just a pile of parts in the shop right now.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

DF

A lot of truth there, Jacks is why we don't have Elephant, Rhino, etc... grin

Dem wabbits ate'em before they could get a foot hold...

Makes sense to me...

Explains everything...

DF
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
.284 in a Savage 99. Works well, short or long.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Back when I was a "one rifle for everything" guy here in southwestern New Mexico, it was a semi-custom pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Winchester. I still think that it's not a bad choice for an "all around" rifle in the southern U.S.

I am kind of heading back that way these days and I have my sights set on a 6.5 PRC in a controlled-round feed bolt action--probably an MRC.
Posted By: skinnyjimmy Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Tikka T3X, 20" barrel, in .308. Great for New England and New York.
I had a Winchester Mod 670 in 30-06 that just fit me. I bought it when I was 16 from summer wages working at a ranch we hunted on. I rarely if ever missed with it and made some of my best shots with it. Than I got a pre 64 Mod 70 in .300 H&H. It kind of languished in the safe because I had little time to hunt and would always grab the trusted 30-06. To get myself to use the H&H I ended up selling my 30-06 to a cousin. Now even though I have several rifles, I usually grab the .300 H&H. I have to make an argument with myself not to use it sometimes when there are others as good for the purpose in the safe.
Rem 700 bdl in 25-06 with leupold vari-x III 3.5-10. Local gunsmith bedded it in the factory wood stock, trued the action and did a trigger job. Bought it when I was still in college and have long since lost count of the number of rounds fired and game it has taken. All but one of my kids used it as their first rifle along with several of my friends kids. It is known as the meat gun for a reason. It has never failed to disappoint.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
308 Win can handle 90% of worlds game in all field conditions. It is my go to for everything up to and including elk.
Posted By: bkraft Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Remington 721 in 270 Win
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20

Tikka T 3 270 Win (R)
-------------------------------------Identical Scopes 4-12X40
Tikka T 3X 7mm RM (L)

Take your pick ---> 3 oz diff between them.

OR

Custom M 98, 284 Win, Boyd's, Timney, Nikon 4-12 X 40 >> 139 HBTSP @ 3000 fps.

Take your pick

Jerry
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I'm not much of a lever guy, but that one is nice. I believe I could warm up to one like that.

Nice buck, too.

DF
Posted By: roundoak Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
After hunting North American big game (never hunted Brown or Grizzly bears} with an assortment of rifles and cartridges, I have settled on a Savage 99-A 250-3000 for Whitetails and Ruger 77 7x57 for everything else.
Posted By: Matty99669 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Cool rifle! Ive always wanted one.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Weatherby Vanguard 2, stainless .30-06, Leupold VX-R 4X12 illuminated for hunting. AR15 5.56/.223 PSA lower, Blackhole Weapory 20 inch 1X8 barrel scoped with a Burris FF 4.5X14 for riding and looking for pigs and predators.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20

1993 M700ADL SS Mtn rifle 270W. It was a one year offering only. And it's twin as my primary back-up........
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/16/20
Jeez... I must be the only guy that has creed, that will be the last one to go, and still can do anything that I need.....

[Linked Image]
Although I use it less than in years past, it would be my model 700 custom . 300WM..
Posted By: viking Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
If I get a chance to hunt deer this year, oh am so gunna try the 6.5-300 weatherby.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
1963 Remington 700 rebored to 338-06. Topped with a Leupold VX-2 2-7 and shooting Nosler 210 Partitions.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
I have hunted long enough, and with enough cartridges to know this:

Many things will work. By that, I mean this:
I could kill every single game animal I will ever put in the freezer with my Christensen Arms Ridgeline, chambered for 270 WCF.

But the current golden child, 6.5 Creedmoor, out of a 20 inch Christensen Arms Ridgeline will work for whitetails, hogs and black bears, just as well.

That said; my favorite hunting cartridge of all time is the 7mm/08. If I had a 20 inch Christensen Arms chambered for that, I'd skinny down my arsenal. 140 grain Nosler Partitions and 43 grains of Varget would fill my freezer till my toes turn up.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
I'm hoping to start a new tradition. I just picked up a new Browning A bolt 7mm Rem mag. I don't even have it scoped yet.
Posted By: comerade Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
How about a Browning BLR takedown? I always wanted a takedown rifle and this fits the bill. Better than I expected.
It is lever operated bolt action, works well in a .270 wcf,
Slips in an out of a saddle scabbard. Easy to clean and in a storm it goes into a dry pack.
Believe it or not but I bore sight the thing with the scout scope arrangement on it.
I now have 3
Posted By: Full3r Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Since we live in a strait wall only state I am limited. I use a re-bored glenfield 30 in .375 Winchester with a peep sight for walking. And I was gifted a ruger #3 in 44mag from wife’s grandpa. It wears a 4x Bushnell shotgun scope and throws Winchester white box 240s and federal 240 hollow points in same group at 125 yards. And some home cast lead bullets to the crosshairs at 50 when it’s really thick. High velocity would be nice but these are fun and both carry well.
Posted By: rlott Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
SW VA, steep and thick terrain. The Ruger 44 carbine is right at home in these parts.

Unless you can build a 358 Win that is one inch shorter and the same weight (not counting loaded mag):

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Holston Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Southwest VA here as well.

ADL .243 in a Ti style stock did me well on our game here for several years.

Have “better” rifles for sure, but this one would be hard to let go of.
Posted By: rlott Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Holston - Have you lost your mind? Everyone knows that you can't kill anything with a .243. Except the stuff you killed with it.....
Posted By: Matty99669 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm hoping to start a new tradition. I just picked up a new Browning A bolt 7mm Rem mag. I don't even have it scoped yet.

Nothing wrong with that. I had one in 300wm I carried for years.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
[quote=Holston

--------------------------------

I only wish Ark would allow rifles for Turkey hunting.

I hunted SW Miss in the 80s and both Rifles & Handguns were legal then. I've killed turkeys with several rifles of diff
cartridges.

Jerry
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Jeez... I must be the only guy that has creed, that will be the last one to go, and still can do anything that I need.....

[Linked Image]

If you're happy that is all that matters.

Jerry
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Around here in Wyoming, I am all about my 6.5x284 NORMA.

Anywhere in the west or Alaska, its my .300 H&H.
Posted By: Holston Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=Holston

--------------------------------

I only wish Ark would allow rifles for Turkey hunting.

I hunted SW Miss in the 80s and both Rifles & Handguns were legal then. I've killed turkeys with several rifles of diff
cartridges.

Jerry

I carry a a rifle much more than a shotgun now. It’s weird, but I always seemed to kill just as many either way. I hunt mostly in the mountains, seems like if they’re coming in, they’ll keep coming as long as you don’t move.

I wouldn’t like the idea of not having the option of carrying a rifle though.

I catch a little crap over it by some, but I could care less.
Posted By: paint Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Where I hunt, 50 yards would be on the long side for a shot at deer, unless I choose to watch some smaller pastures and hayfields from time to time. Then 200 would be a good poke.

Even though I have quite a few bolt actions, I end up grabbing a peep sighted lever action most of the time. If I had to pick one, well, I guess it’d be one of my 30/30’s.

They work well for me.
Southern MIchigan: Ruger 77/44 with low power scope. Northern Michigan: Ruger #1A 7 x 57 and backup Mexican Mauser with a Douglas XX .308 barrel and a third hand 'glass stock scoped with 2x7 Leupold.
Those 6mms are great turkey rifles...
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20

DF

Ours aren't that aggressive down here - a 458WM is enough to handle them
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by rlott
SW VA, steep and thick terrain. The Ruger 44 carbine is right at home in these parts.

Unless you can build a 358 Win that is one inch shorter and the same weight (not counting loaded mag):

[Linked Image]

Bet that extended mag is just the ticket for that thick stuff where you get one shot. LOL
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
700 BDL in 6mm, 2-7x Leupold junker.

Works just fine on our Midwest whitetails. Hell on coyotes too but none killed wit it in the last 5 years or so since i am back to using 20 and 22 caliber cartridges for em.

Been using a 95 grain Partition for the last few years but really cant see that it works any better than the 85 grain Sierra SP, or any of the 100 grain SP stuff I have used over the years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Jevyod Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
260 Rem has been used 95% of the time since 03. But, I have a 358 Win that I just got built, so I am pretty sure the 260 will get used less, unless I loan it out to a kid. Yea, who needs a 358 for Pa whitetail, but ought to be fun. For a few years I used a 45-70 with 420 grain cast bullets at 1500 Fps. That was fun to!
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
For the wide open spaces. 270Win
Posted By: PWN Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Green County in Oklahoma-Winchester M-70 Classic, blue with ugly grey unknown synthetic stock, Khales 3x9 scope w/German #4, 30.06. My shots can be nearly contact range to beyond 400 yards depending on whether I hunt a small wooded parcel behind a friend's house, watch a creek crossing on my lease or hunt bean or winter wheat fields on a friends farm. The later can be shots to and a bit beyond 400 yards. The only ammo I have ever used on critters is factory Hornady 165 grain Interbonds. I have killed hogs, turkeys, antelope, coyotes, bobcats and a truck load of deer with this gun.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Works just fine on our Midwest whitetails. Hell on coyotes too but none killed wit it in the last 5 years or so since i am back to using 20 and 22 caliber cartridges for em.

Been using a 95 grain Partition for the last few years but really cant see that it works any better than the 85 grain Sierra SP, or any of the 100 grain SP stuff I have used over the years.

ya got it sighted in high unless you was one of them 30 foot up a tree guys. LOL
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

ya got it sighted in high unless you was one of them 30 foot up a tree guys. LOL

Neither. Was aiming about 8" farther forward for a DRT high shoulder shot. He started to walk just as I tripped the trigger.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Quote: Neither. Was aiming about 8" farther forward for a DRT high shoulder shot. He started to walk just as I tripped the trigger.

This is an issue that I have with the “extreme long range” crowd that contends that this doesn’t happen! And if” the animal moves, it’s the shooters fault for the bad shot placement.....as the hunter was supposed to “read the animals mind”! memtb
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
The 7x57 that i built years ago on a Mauser action.

I have other rifles but it gets the most time in the woods,been that way for years.

It just works,

Quote: Neither. Was aiming about 8" farther forward for a DRT high shoulder shot. He started to walk just as I tripped the trigger.

This is an issue that I have with the “extreme long range” crowd that contends that this doesn’t happen! And i”if” the animal moves as the shot is taken.....it’s the shooters fault!!! memtb

I get what you are saying. He was at the long range of about 25 yards. There could have been a bobble at the same time as I had to twist to my right to get him killed. Total time from when I saw him until I had a bullet in him may have been 5 seconds.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Love the M 70 Featherweights!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
My old 300 Win Mag chunking 200gr Partitions at 3000 fps, would do me good here, and about any other place in the world.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Not the only one!

John

The vast majority of my hunting is in the Northeast. There are a few I really enjoy carrying the last few years including some '50s Savage 99F Featherweights in 308 and 250 Sav or a couple of Kimber Montanas in 7-08 and 257 Rob, just because they're all so light and handy.

But, the last one to go would be, Ol' Reliable, the Rem 742 '06 my dad gave me for my 15th Christmas. It has put a lot of game on the table since then. I've refinished the stock and retired it. But, if I was down to just one gun, that old girl is going back to work!

And for the record, despite their reputation, neither mine nor my dad's has ever jammed or had any other hiccups.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

But, the last one to go would be, Ol' Reliable, the Rem 742 '06 my dad gave me for my 15th Christmas. It has put a lot of game on the table since then.

And for the record, despite their reputation, neither mine nor my dad's has ever jammed or had any other hiccups.

I'll back you up on that. Neither has ANY of the ones I've been around.
Makes a guy wonder confused confused

Jerry
Posted By: handwerk Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Let's just say it's a pre 64 M70 of some sort...
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
My region includes Nv., Id.,Wy. and Mt. from desert to alpine. Currently my Tikka T3 Lite 308w w/ a SS 3-9 HD is always around. I can,t say I wouldn't get rid of it, I fondled a Tikka T3x Superlight in 6.5 C yesterday and was tempted. Tikka did a good job w/ those rifles. I will keep the SS scope however, it really works as advertised.

mike r
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Marlin 336 30-30. My kids love them. Long shots are 150yds max.
Tikka T3 25-06
Tikka T3 6.5cm. Testing the water with this new addition. To be continued....
Originally Posted by Matty99669
Just curious about others hunting enviornments. Whats the make and caliber of your "go-to" rifle? The one you take out most in a season. The one you could never sell if they are all one in the same.

The ones I grew up with: Old and heavy yes, but damn reliable and accurate. Never let me down:

All the other stuff is fluff and for having fun...
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20

Remington 700, 250 Savage works well on the deer size game here.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Tikka 695 7mag

Tikka T3X 6.5CMDS special

McWhorter 7mm08

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rifle for your region - 01/17/20
Depends on my mood.

Model 94/1895/700/77/37/70, or maybe a rock lock.
Posted By: Youper Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20

My go anywhere, do any thing rifle is a Winchester model 70 push feed in .30-'06. If I have to explain why, the explanation wouldn't help.
Posted By: Youper Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Holston - Have you lost your mind? Everyone knows that you can't kill anything with a .243. Except the stuff you killed with it.....

Are you kidding? Everyone here knows the 243 is a magic death ray.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Youper

Are you kidding? Everyone here knows the 243 is a magic death ray.

read the thread in the deer hunting forum. crazy.

as to the OP

Savage 308 with a fluted barrel, fully customized with a titanium suppressor. second go to I just built is a 338-06 with similar characteristics to the 308. this year I opted for the trusty 243 just because it had been a while since we whacked a deer with it. ended up getting several between friends and family with that rifle. furthest was 438 yards. so I'd say it depends on the day what the best rifle for my region is. could be hunting anything from turkeys to elk. the 243 will do it all though, and has for me.
Posted By: Matty99669 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Love the M 70 Featherweights!

Me too! Thats the one on this page that caught my eye.
Posted By: Goat Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I guess I'm not naive enough! I been thinking the same thing!

WARNING: SOAP BOX AHEAD!!!

"This is an issue that I have with the “extreme long range” crowd that contends that this doesn’t happen! And if” the animal moves, it’s the shooters fault for the bad shot placement.....as the hunter was supposed to “read the animals mind”! memtb [/quote] "

I guess I'm just not naive enough. I've been thinking the same thing every since the "long range movement" started! None of the shows I know of have shown, or ever will show, the one that bolted as the trigger broke and was gut shot. You don't see the one where there was a puff of wind somewhere in the valley they were shooting across and the animal is gut shot. I watched those shows in awe when I first saw them but quickly thought about it and decided that for me, I respect the game too much to play those odds. I always thought the object was to see how close I could get not how far I can shoot.
Sorry to OP. I didn't mean to high jack the thread.

I am in love with lever action rifles and thankfully I hunt where I can use them without sacrificing range. My records indicate that my average shot is only about 60 yards. In these situations my Marlin 336 chambered for the lowly 35Remington cartridge ( or 375Win, 45/70, 38/55, 41 mag, 356Win, 30/30....) is no handicap at all. One of the most difficult to let go would be my steel frame BLR-81 in 358Win. Topped with a Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x gives me a bit more reach. I just can't boil it down to one!
Posted By: 308ld Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I guess if it came to it, this would be the one ....Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather .308 Win. Pretty much do all I'd need to do in the lower 48.

Posted By: 2500HD Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Encore 450 Bushmaster 26” MGM barrel with a VX 6 2-12 FireDot. We are in shotgun zone that allows straight wall cartridge up to 1.8” case length. Running a 250 Gr. Shockwave Bonded at 2580 FPS. One ragged hole at a 100. Haven’t found a bullet yet. Every thing shot has made 2 holes. Thinking I’m gonna take it on my moose hunt this fall in Maine.
Remington 700 xcr ii 270 win in a Mc Milan classic edge with a VX 3 3.5-10x40 scope mounted on warne rings and mounts. Pretty close to perfect for my needs.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20

Remington 700 mountain rifle in 260 Remington
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
My hunting needs in Oregon could be easily handled by a good.270.....
OR any of the .26 - .28 calibers..... going to .30+ just isn’t necessary and pushes the recoil equation up...
That said, I’m really digging my Kimbers Hunters in .6.5 and 7-08 for egros and light weight.
Scopes are usually Leupold 2.5x8’s, but I’m starting to work with the SS 6x MQ- we’ll see how that goes.
Big game for me is deer, antelope and elk. Long range for is pretty much anything over 200.
I passed on a cow elk the other day @ 350-ish yards. The rifle and load are good for it and I could dial for drop.
But she was at a hard angle uphill, I couldn’t get a solid rest and my gut just said “don’t do it”. I’ll wait for a better opportunity another day...
Posted By: SS336 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Hope it never comes to that. I'd have to pick the small block Chevy of hunting rifles. grin .30-06 tang safety Ruger round top, 3x9 Leupold mounted as low as possible. Been working fine for over 40 years. Better rifles out there, probably, but this is my mine.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I've got a lot that follow the same basic pattern.....stainless, sporter/#2 barrel, lightweight stock. I like them coated but not an absolute. A wide array of short action chamberings. For an over the counter rifle, I can't find anything I like better for the way I use one...Fieldcraft special run, #2 barrel, coated, 6.5 CM:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
(1) Remington 700BDL 243win
(2) Remington 721 300 H&H
(3) Marlin 1894C 357mag
(4) 375 Ruger Guide Gun

Combination of all 4 I carry out through the season.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Remington 700 bdl 270 winchester
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Remington 700 bdl 270 winchester
Posted By: Puddle Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Custom .30-06 built 19 years ago. M70 action, Lilja barrel, Bansner stock, Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm in Talley rings and bases.

It has launched all manner of bullets at game anywhere's from 110 gr. AB's to 240 gr. Weldcore's, but the majority have been 180 gr. Partitions.

That rifle has earned Platinum SkyMiles....
Posted By: Windfall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I've been looking for a long time and have drawn the following conclusions:
.30 WCF (.30-30) Win. M64. Handy, but short range and no scope.
.300 WM Win. M70. Way too big, heavy, recoil and loud.
12 Ga. Rem. M1100 slug. Required for the county then and short range only.
.30-06 Win M70. Heavy, recoil, long action.
7mm RM Rem. M700 custom. Nice out west, recoil, too long, too powerful.
.35 Rem. M141 Rem. Heavy, well made, short range only, slide rattle, too long a barrel.
.257 Roberts M760 Rem. Light recoil, slide rattle, accurate, stamped parts.
.308 Win M100 carbine. Bad trigger, good cartridge, handy length.
.308 Rem. M742 carbine. Bad trigger, stamped parts, too short.
.300 Savage M99F. Good cartridge, points well, accurate, carries well, lever is in the way for crook of the arm carry, back up gun.
And the winner is...Scoped 7mm-08 Ruger SS M77 Mk ll custom. Great cartridge, light weight, accurate.
Posted By: CRS Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I do not have just one, but I could get by with a Model 70 classic in Mcmillan Edge stock blueprint.
270 Win and 338-06 would be my cartridges of choice.

Have and use both of the above, depending on game and mood.

With the exception of Elephant, Buffalo, and Rhino, I would be comfortable hunting anything.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
Tikka t3 lite in .270 Winchester, nice to carry, accurate and always gets the job done.
Posted By: Dre Re: Rifle for your region - 01/18/20
I keep going back to the old Tikka 06. vx3 3.5-10 with CDS shooting 168 TTSX at 2900. It just works.
I choose it over 6.5, 270, 300WM, 9.3x62
Originally Posted by SS336
Hope it never comes to that. I'd have to pick the small block Chevy of hunting rifles. grin .30-06 tang safety Ruger round top, 3x9 Leupold mounted as low as possible. Been working fine for over 40 years. Better rifles out there, probably, but this is my mine.

I hunted with that same rifle for two decades. I do have rifles I like better but they where all judged off of my old ruger tanger 30-06.
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
Rem 722 300 Sav
Posted By: Spartacus Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
I really like my 7-08 Tikka T3x
Posted By: utah708 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
Given the spectrum of animals from antelope to moose in this region, as well as the opportunities for pretty long shots, I am voting for 7mm Rem Mag. Part of it is that there are more .284" bullets that I like than in either .277" or .308". There are other candidates (like the 7 WSM or Wby or .280 AI) but they are fringier.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
The rifle that is always in my truck, Savage 10 .22-250 .
Posted By: Matty99669 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
Originally Posted by Spartacus
I really like my 7-08 Tikka T3x

Im surprised how many of you guys shoot 7-08's. Ive never seen one at the range. I dont personally know any body that has one. It kinda makes me want one...
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
For my region- 12 ga Beretta 391 with rifled barrel. Half my deer hunting season is in a shotgun zone and the other half in a rifle zone where shots are under 100 yards.

Last rifle I would sell is a toss up between a Rem 700 Classic in 300 Savage, a Savage 16 in 7mm/08, and a Browning A-Bolt in 300 Win mag. The 700 is most likely to be last but the other two push pretty hard.
7-08 Kimber Montana

But that may change once I get the .300PRC built up.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
For me, it's my Wby. Mk.V. .257. Works for everything from coyotes to elk, and everything in between, including 4 species of North American sheep, caribou, antelope, mule and whitetail deer. Currently wears a Mcmillan Edge stock, and 3.5-10x Leupold.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
I guess it all depends on where you do most of your hunting. Where I live, a 30-30 will kill everything that walks and unless you have access to a pipeline or highline, where you can see more than 150-200 yds, it will reach out farther than you can see.

Now go 100 miles west or 50 miles east and you have some flat crop land. There you can see farther than you can shoot.

I deer and hog hunt with my Marlin 30-30 or Win 270. Varmint hunt with a .223 or .204
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20

My goto is a White ML in 45. Its all I use now, pretty much.

Bow is becoming massively popular here, with over half of the deer taken in NJ coming from bow.

I'd honestly say the most popular rifle will be a crossbow in a couple years.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
Here in Minnesota I could live with any one of the rifles in the safe from .223 to 300 WM and hardly inconvenience me much at all. Any one of the 1.5-6x42 scopes that I have would be just fine as well if it came to it. If worse came to worst then even my crossbow would still work just fine for killing all the stuff I need to before I die. I it came down to it, any one of the 22 lr target rifles would also kill everything I need to kill yet. As long as it remained legal to use anything I have, I could manage it.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Rifle for your region - 01/19/20
Kimber 84m in 6 CM.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/20/20
In FL and SC, I have taken more deer the past 10 years with a 7mm-08. These states are my "region".

25-06 has taken a few and I like it too but is a Ruger #1 Stainless and it just doesn't get used as much as the 7mm-08s.

Also taken a few with 7mm Rem Mag (trophy rifle for paid hunts), 6.8SPC bolt gun (pleasure to shoot), various 22 centerfires in bolt and AR platforms, and a 257 WBY Accumark.

I had a 280 AI built on a Ti action that I thought would be my main go-to but the 7mm-08 just keeps performing too well, shoots like a dream, and is pleasant on the shoulder in both recoil and long walks.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Rifle for your region - 01/20/20
Ruger Hawkeye RSI 270
My ABolt in 25 WSSM will be mine for SE everything here on out.

It could as easily be any 308 class handy bolt gun with a not too powerful scope. Mine is just the best version of that for me.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
.308 Win Montana Rifle Company with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 with a 130 or 150 grain Barnes TTSX is what I use most lately hunting in the South Texas brush country.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
When I was growing up most people hunted with a 30-30 . Rem 742 or BAR in 30-06 or 270. Now the men use bolt 30-06 270, , 308, 300 or 7 mag. Women use 243s.
Posted By: RinB Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20

Action: Surgeon LA modified to use Talley rings with remainder of rail removed and otherwise lightened.
Barrel: Benchmark 1-9 SS 22”
Stock: one of a kind carbon fiber
Scope: either Leupold UL 3-9 or Nightforce 2.5-10x24
Trigger: Triggertech Diamond
Chamber: 270 Win throated to 3.45” oal

Will do everything worldwide until a 375 H&H is warranted.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
My Marlin.30-30 gets the nod most of the time.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
Remington 700 ADL in 243. Older rifle topped off with a Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5 -14 x 40.
The rifle shoots bugholes with 85 gn. Sierras and Varget.
It has a little more range than I need here in southern Indiana but the accuracy is superb and it’s killed everything I’ve shot at from coyotes to deer.
I have better rifles and larger caliber rifles but this one has been with me for years and it just plain works.
Posted By: JPro Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
I like too many of my rifles to narrow it down to just one, as I hunt carbines in some spots and 24" barreled magnums in others. I did acquire one new rifle last year with the intent of a "whatever, wherever, whenever" kind of rig. It's a magnum-weight Ruger Hawkeye Predator in .308, shooting the 150NAB at 2,880fps. Flat enough to work with the long range duplex reticle, easy-shooting, and I've never had problems with the terminal effects of the .308win. With the rough SS finish and laminate handle, it's also one I don't worry about actually using.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/21/20
Originally Posted by RinB

Action: Surgeon LA modified to use Talley rings with remainder of rail removed and otherwise lightened.
Barrel: Benchmark 1-9 SS 22”
Stock: one of a kind carbon fiber
Scope: either Leupold UL 3-9 or Nightforce 2.5-10x24
Trigger: Triggertech Diamond
Chamber: 270 Win throated to 3.45” oal

"Jack O'C had it figured out in the 60's !"

I quoted your sig line............... and he sure did but some keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

Jerry
I have several Winchester Featherweights, any of them is fine for anything I can find in the bush.
Still love the feel of old Sako's or Mark V's though.

OP did say "rifle" not cartridge........
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle for your region - 01/22/20
L-61 Sako’s are nice to hunt with!
Posted By: saskfox Re: Rifle for your region - 01/22/20
A good bolt action .270 win if I were limited to one rifle. Antelope, mule deer, whitetail and coyotes all right here.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle for your region - 01/23/20
I have a half dozen Savage 99’s that are fun to hunt with.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Rifle for your region - 01/23/20
Where i hunt my ruger 77/44 does everything I really need. But if i could only keep one rifle I own to do it all i'd keep my M70 classic stainless 375 H&H
Posted By: salmonhead Re: Rifle for your region - 01/27/20
When something has to die, my 338RUM gets the nod. Rem 700 action blueprinted and mated to a bartlein 3b barrel. McMillan stock and currently leupold vx6 2-12 scope. Loaded with 210 swift sciroccos to unrealistic velocities. It's an absolute death ray. After a neck injury at work, the recoil was getting to me, so I had a muzzle brake added and that has helped a lot. Very easy to shoot now.

I am getting more fond of my 6.5 PRC. Have to do some long range target work yet with it. But it's a lazer so far.

I also grab a 3030, and 450 bushy depending on where I'm hunting.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Rifle for your region - 01/27/20
Model 70 in 375H&H for moose and bear. Husqvarna 30.06 for everything else. Have other weapons to choose from but those are my go to rifles.
Posted By: mikestaten Re: Rifle for your region - 01/27/20
Mid 80’s manufactured 700 ADL 30-06 everything is factory but worked the trigger and bedded it in a Holland laminated stock. Bushnell 4200 3-9x40. Shooting handloads with 165 ballistic tips. Overkill for white tails in NY and PA but this rifle is very consistent in shooting 1/2” groups. Also, I can put it away after the season and take one shot to confirm it’s still sighted in and it is always right on the money. For some reason, a lot of my other rifles seem to be off a few clicks if they sit for awhile. I use many rifles 35, 308, 7mm-08, 30-30 but the 30-06 would get the nod for my go to.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Rifle for your region - 01/27/20
Marlin 30TK in 30-30 with a little Leupy shotgun scope. Nice little fast action flushing rifle with the abilty to reach out just a little bit.
Posted By: Crawler Re: Rifle for your region - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
My old 300 Win Mag chunking 200gr Partitions at 3000 fps, would do me good here, and about any other place in the world.

This is the same page i am on ,300 win mag 200 gn. Partitions 3000 fps have worked good for me for many years.
Posted By: Crawler Re: Rifle for your region - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

This is the same page i am on ,300 win mag 200 gn. Partitions 3000 fps have worked good for me for many years.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Rifle for your region - 01/28/20
My old as dirt 257 WBY. Built on a 700 action, pac-nor barrel, sits in a rimrock stock. It’s pretty light, and with 100 grain ttsx’s has killed everything I’ve pointed at it.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/28/20
From P 4

[quote=jwall][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 Win (R)
-------------------------------------Identical Scopes 4-12X40
Tikka T 3X Lite SS 7mm RM (L)

Custom M 98, 284 Win, Boyd's, Timney, Nikon 4-12 X 40 >> 139 HBTSP @ 3000 fps.
---------------------------------------------

Those are not the only rifles that are good for my region.

Rem M Six 30-06 does OK - bullet entry

Rem M Six 270 W does OK -

Win 70 FTWT 6.5X55 , also works

Jerry
Cool photos jwall...
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 01/29/20
Thanks W C H
I edited 2 more into the post.

Jerry
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Rifle for your region - 01/29/20

First year Remington 700 Classic, 270 Win. PA and NY bucks for 40 years. Kimber Montana, 308 Win. the last 2 years.
Posted By: Desertranger Re: Rifle for your region - 01/29/20
I’m somewhat surprised but delighted to see that the 30-30 has quite the following!
Last September we went to Maine on vacation and stopped at LL Bean. I asked what was the most popular caliber and rifle there. The answer surprised me, the reply, the model 94 Winchester 30/30.
Having said that, here in the west I hunt with several rifles but if push came to shove, my pre-64 Bansner stocked 270 is clearly my favorite.
Posted By: randolph45 Re: Rifle for your region - 02/10/20
6x47 Lapua
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Rifle for your region - 02/12/20
I’m from Oklahoma and live there. I’m a big fan of the .30-06, but there is nothing here you couldn’t kill with a .243 unless you are one of the lucky few that draw an elk tag. And the .243 would still work on elk if you took care.

Expat
Posted By: Filaman Re: Rifle for your region - 02/12/20
I've got some good deer rifles but the go to is my 1966 model 70 Push feed chambered in .270 Winchester. When I first bought it in August 1966 I had a brand new Redfield 4X scope mounted on it in Weaver mounts with 2 piece bases. It has since gone through 3 other scopes and killed a couple of 18 wheelers full of deer (Not all by me) in the 53 years I've hunted with it, this November will make 54. It now has a 4 year old Leupold VX-2 with adjustable Objective for paralax, that I like.

After I bought it and had it for a couple months I took it to a range in preparation of a hunt put on for the Boy Scouts to sight in. There was an old man there that my family knew who was sort of a guru with guns. I was feeling so proud of my new shiny toy until he raked it over the coals telling me what a crap job Winchester did to the Model 70 in 1964. Hell, I didn't know any better, I was an 18 year old kid. I went home with my tail between my legs, never mind that ratty old push feed probably out shot his custom Mauser that day.

I found through the years it wasn't so bad a gun. It's probably more accurate than most pre 64s and I have found out that it's actually considered by most in the know a stronger action. Anyway, aesthetically he had me but practically I had him. Whatever, it's still my go to hunter out of 12 other nice rifles 53 years later.
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Rifle for your region - 02/12/20
I'm in NC with lots of big crop fields and power lines and the majority of my hunting is deer and coyotes. I have been shooting a 25.06 for about 35yrs and it has been excellent and served me well for my type hunting. The 25.06 is no doubt my favorite caliber and one that I can't see myself ever not having.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle for your region - 02/12/20
Do I really have to make a choice???
Posted By: OAM Re: Rifle for your region - 02/13/20
My 375 h&h has probably spent an accumulative total of 9 months in my hands.
Posted By: shaman Re: Rifle for your region - 02/13/20
I hunt in the Trans-Bluegrass region of Kentucky, between the Licking and the Ohio Rivers.

Whitetail bucks can grow to over 300 lbs liveweight. Doe can go 170+.

The old-timers mostly shot 30-30 levers. These were also the guys that were fond of emptying their magazines into a fleeing herd. We hear a lot less of that now.

All of us at camp have at least one 30-06 bolt gun. That seems to do the trick, although I would be the first to say it isn't a minimum requirement. Here is my current favorite:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

For a decade, I took at least a deer a year with a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I finally retired it. An '06 does just as well with less sound and fury.

My GOTO gun for treestands since 2003 has been a Savage 99 in 308 WIN. I download it to 300 Savage levels.

I have inherited 2 guns from now-departed hunting buddies. One is a custom Mauser in 25-06 and another is a Ruger Model 44.

I've got glamor shots of the camp's whole deer battery here:

The Deer Battery
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Rifle for your region - 02/13/20
A 1962 Remington model 700 in 264 Win Mag.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rifle for your region - 02/14/20
Loved my 30-06 for years. Now days I love the 243 win because of recoil.
Posted By: jkinpa Re: Rifle for your region - 02/16/20
Originally Posted by shaman
I hunt in the Trans-Bluegrass region of Kentucky, between the Licking and the Ohio Rivers.

Whitetail bucks can grow to over 300 lbs liveweight. Doe can go 170+.

The old-timers mostly shot 30-30 levers. These were also the guys that were fond of emptying their magazines into a fleeing herd. We hear a lot less of that now.

All of us at camp have at least one 30-06 bolt gun. That seems to do the trick, although I would be the first to say it isn't a minimum requirement. Here is my current favorite:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

For a decade, I took at least a deer a year with a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. I finally retired it. An '06 does just as well with less sound and fury.

My GOTO gun for treestands since 2003 has been a Savage 99 in 308 WIN. I download it to 300 Savage levels.

I have inherited 2 guns from now-departed hunting buddies. One is a custom Mauser in 25-06 and another is a Ruger Model 44.

I've got glamor shots of the camp's whole deer battery here:

The Deer Battery

Nice rifle, tell us about it, please.
Posted By: ZuluDawn Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
Rem 700 Action
.308 Win
16.5” Krieger w/8T
McRees Folding Stock
3-18x Leupold Mark 6 w/ Tremor 2 Reticle
Timney Trigger
Surefire 7.62 Mini Suppressor
168gr ELD-Match

Just a right handy rifle for pigs and deer in my area. I have many more.......but this one gets grabbed more often than not.
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
Originally Posted by ZuluDawn
Rem 700 Action
.308 Win
16.5” Krieger w/8T *> ?
McRees Folding Stock
Timney Trigger
168gr ELD-Match

Just a right handy rifle for pigs and deer in my area. I have many more.......but this one gets grabbed more often than not.

Simple curiosity. Why 8 twist on 16.5” bll. ?
(beside that you wanted it, understood)

Jerry
Posted By: ZuluDawn Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
Originally Posted by jwall
Rem 700 Action
.308 Win
16.5” Krieger w/8T *> ?
McRees Folding Stock
Timney Trigger
168gr ELD-Match

Jerry

1. It was available at a discounted price (Ordered from Krieger and not picked up by customer.) 😁
2. It has stabilized the full spectrum of bullet weights (110-175gr), proven very accurate with them, and seems to regain some velocity lost by the shorter barrel.

Todd Hodnett at Accuracy First turned me on to the 8T concept for .30cals after a lot of testing and the concept seems to be working. So, when this barrel came available me, I jumped on it.
Matty99669, My wife and I were just this morning having a discussion along these lines..... calibers, cartridges, recoil, ect., she loves her .338 WM. She uses it for all of her big game hunting, and occasionally for coyotes.....though we rarely go out for coyotes! One rifle, one load, one zero for everything we hunt. If I were starting over, and knew that I’d never make an African hunt.....I’d probably step-down to a .338 WM. memtb

This is a sentence I am quite sure I will never utter in my lifetime. You are a very lucky man.

To answer the OP, a Ruger 77 RL tang safety in .308.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
I have two of those. A custom 30-06 1903 and a Win Mod 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55. That's right now though it could change. There are a ton of rifle's suitable for any area of the country. A mod 95, or similar, would work well anywhere in the country. It all depends on ho it's used. How it's use seem's to me in a very much ignore subject. If your hunting Cours deer in S Arizona actually that old 30-30 still has it the question is dos the user have it. I think there are people around that hunt them with a bow! Yet what we red about mostly is the custom long range rifle in some super long range cartridge to make 500 yd shot's with. We pretty much read the same about a cartridge for western hunting but if that was true, how did Indians survive with just a bow?
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
After I bought it and had it for a couple months I took it to a range in preparation of a hunt put on for the Boy Scouts to sight in. There was an old man there that my family knew who was sort of a guru with guns. I was feeling so proud of my new shiny toy until he raked it over the coals telling me what a crap job Winchester did to the Model 70 in 1964.

In the Spring of 1975, I bought a slightly used 1974 Model 70 PF 30-06. I too was very proud of my "Mod 70", and I had a Wide View 2x7 on it. I located a a gent in the nearby town who handloaded. He loaded me up some "accuracy loads" from the Sierra manual, with the 165 SGK. It was one accurate old rifle! I shot many sub MOA groups with it, and "every Self-appointed Expert" also ragged on me ( unsolicited too, can you imagine that? ha) what a POC it was. I knew it was not a "Pre 64", but it felt good in my hands. I liked it. About that time I got heavy into my "Bowhunting Phase" and sold it buy equipment.

I use a bolt rifle almost exclusively, no matter where I hunt, but especially out West here. I have killed a lot of deer/hogs in E. Texas growing up with a Mod 94 Classic 30-30. I didn't use a scope until I was 22, ha. My last Mule Deer was shot with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. A very fine woods rifle. But now I'm sticking with a flat shooter scoped bolt rifle. I prefer the "Mountain Rifle style" now. Kimber 84L/270 and a Mesa 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed is being set up for my Grand Daughter as an heirloom/target rifle, maybe she will hunt with it later. She is only 10 now and I will let my Marine SIL fight with my overprotective daughter to teach her to shoot, ha. The rest of my Grandkids could care less, so be it. BUT watch out for those "Experts"! ha
Posted By: buffybr Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
It depends...

When I started hunting (in Colorado) the only rifle that I had was a Model U-9 .30-06 from Herter's. I hunted everything with it: 125 grain bullets for prairie dogs, 150 grain bullets for deer and antelope, and 180 grain bullets for elk.

About 10 years later I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and for the next 20+ years that rifle shooting 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets put 20+ elk and 2 moose in my freezer.

When I re-chambered the .30-06 I also built a .257 Ackley and a .22-250.
The .257 Ackley was built on a Mauser Mark X action and shooting 115-120 grain bullets is still my "go to" rifle for deer and antelope, and was for all of my mountain sheep hunting.

The .22-250 still is my dedicated varmint rifle, although it also put several deer and antelope into my freezer.

About 10 years ago I finally fulfilled a life long dream and bought a .300 Weatherby. I mainly built it for elk, but it fast became my favorite rifle, and I have used it on a number if international hunts. I currently only hunt with 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in it for hunting.

Since I put about 100 hours of work into each of the Fancy walnut stocks of most of my other hunting rifles, I have a SS plastic stocked Rem 700 in 7 mm Rem mag for my foul weather rifle. My hunting bullet for it is 160 grain Nosler Accubonds, and I have also taken it on a number of international hunts.

For the biggest and baddest critters I have a .375 RUM in a SS Rem 700 and with a laminated stock. It likes both Barnes 270 and 300 grain TSX bullets, and I have taken it to Africa twice shooting critters varying from 25 to over 1500 pounds.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
You wouldn't play a round of golf with one club, so why would you limit yourself to one rifle if you face different hunting situations?

There is a place in my bag for a driver, when I want to hit long, and a pitching wedge, when I need to shoot short.

There is a place in my rack for both long range bolt guns and short range lever, pump, and semi-autos.

My primary elk rifles are both 270s, both using the same load,, a CLR for deliberate shots in open areas and a 760 for jump shooting in the timber.

When I retire back in NH, I'll probably over-watch with a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor and still-hunt through the woods with my 50-something 44 International.
Posted By: melchung Re: Rifle for your region - 03/04/20
I have always favored the 3006. I have a small shop in Kaunakakai, HI and sell guns n ammo. By far the best selling ammo is 270 win., followed by 308 and 3006. The younger generation all seen to be into 6.5 creed, 22 hornet, 22 250 and a few into 338 lapua. It is rare for me to sell 3030 ammo. Most hunting here is for subsistence. There is some reloading but shipping is difficult and expensive.h Mel
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Rifle for your region - 03/06/20
Sako 85 Finnlight 2 in 308
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Rifle for your region - 03/06/20

We mostly only get to hunt deer here. For that, I've been mostly using a 700 faux TI in 257 Roberts, but a similar custom 700 in 280 punched my tag this past year.

If I did get drawn for moose, I'd probably use the 700 3oo H&H frankenrifle.
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: Rifle for your region - 03/06/20
Texas...Bolt Action Country....is where we are, depending on the length of the sendero / a cut lane bull dozed and pushed out, you can have one 2 miles long to hunt on...this is normal. That means you have some long shots that can and do happen almost all of the time. We do have game close if the feeders are set up near your blind, but a great deal of the game walks a long way off from those feeders just grazing and moving in their daily push to the evening bed down spots scattered all over. Lots, and I mean lots of Texas brush Mesquite / cactus country where a fence line will be not too far and you want that game down...NOW.
So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.

I am the only one out of all of us that handloads...yeah I know. So when "scope checks" (lots of beer ...very cold Keystone and fun) before the season begins are needed, my chronograph gets a workout by all there. Since that has happened they want accuracy with speed...so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. Accurate tracking/zero holding scopes and flat/fast bullets are all that matter here.

For me the .243 Winchester is my rifle most of the time, as it is "on the button" at 270 yds. My recent "discovery" of the 7mm Remington Magnum in a Savage 24" Texas truck gun will change that....with speer 145 grain btsp's at 3000 something fps once its all set up the way I want it.

Best

Heavy
Posted By: centershot Re: Rifle for your region - 03/06/20
Been shooting this one mainly for the last 35 years........Model 70 30Gov't06.

But, last year picked up a Bergara Woodsman in 6.5 Creedmoor. Must say I really like that rifle also. Beautiful stock, about a pound lighter than the M70, less recoil, super accurate, a hammer on mule deer - but does not have the class of the M70.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle for your region - 03/06/20
I hunt mostly in GA and Browning bolt actions are quite popular here, almost every truck has a Browning sticker in the window. A generation ago, they Remington 742 semi-autos and Marlin / Winchester lever actions were very popular but a new generation of hunters are mostly using bolt actions in common chamberings (270, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, 308, etc...). 20+ years ago, I settled on Win 70s only in various chamberings but lately I've added a couple of CA Ridgelines. Rem 700s are very popluar in most deer camps in the south. As much as people like to talk about long shots on beanfields, most hunt in planted pines with limited distance. We have lots of farm land but mature bucks don't seem to stand around in cotton fields in daylight and make it past opening day.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Rifle for your region - 03/07/20
Mossberg 30-30 with 2-7X scope. This handy carbine performs excellent for deer and wild hogs within reasonable shooting distances. Ammo is affordable and found anywhere.

Sherwood
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 03/09/20
Heavy Dove said above ^^^^^^^

" So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.
"

Also "so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. "

WELL ! Seems that I have more company in my CHOICES than I even thot.
Wonder why ? smirk (sarcasm)

uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 03/09/20
[quote =jwall]

1. It was available at a discounted price (Ordered from Krieger and not picked up by customer.) 😁
2. It has stabilized the full spectrum of bullet weights (110-175gr), proven very accurate with them, and seems to regain some velocity lost by the shorter barrel.

Todd Hodnett at Accuracy First turned me on to the 8T concept for .30cals after a lot of testing and the concept seems to be working. So, when this barrel came available me, I jumped on it. [/quote]

Thnx Zulu, I should have focused my ? on 16.5" bll. and I think you answered that as well.
Thnx.

Jerry
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 03/09/20
My region was the world. With the stock market crash.......my region is getting much smaller! grin memtb
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Rifle for your region - 03/10/20
My region was the world. With the stock market crash.......my region is getting much smaller! grin memtb

LOL...kinda smile
Posted By: jwall Re: Rifle for your region - 03/10/20
REDUX
I like it so much, I had to read it again. grin

[quote=jwall]Heavy Dove said above ^^^^^^^

" So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.
"

Also "so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. "

WELL ! Seems that I have more company in my CHOICES than I even thot.
Wonder why ? smirk (sarcasm)

uh huh, uh huh, I like it.
Posted By: HeavyDove Re: Rifle for your region - 03/11/20
I have tried MANY times to get some of them to handload for their rifles. All the while explaining they could make their trajectory even flatter. Considering they use factory ammo I showed them my sight in was less in height, it therefore shot "flatter". Fell on deaf ears but I try every year anyway..

I like to hand load and try different combinations all the time. The crowd I am with wants to get it done and not mess with a bunch of powders and bullets. I think they shy away from the unknown.

Best

Heavy
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Rifle for your region - 03/11/20
I like my Ruger Mk II stainless, 30-06 with the Zytel stock and Leupold VX 3 2.5-8 X 36. It's a do anything, in any weather set up.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Rifle for your region - 03/15/20
Unfortunately herein south west MI, I'm limited. Been using a 450 bushy last couple of years and now I'm gonna try out a 350L upper I picked up.

It is what it is
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Rifle for your region - 03/18/20
Probably my m70 extreme weather 30-06, Zeiss conquest 3-9 with McMillan featherweight stock.

I like to use the 200g partitions and 200g eldx with that rifle.

I’ve used it on moose, caribou, elk and mule deer.
Posted By: Mr_Zorg Re: Rifle for your region - 03/24/20
Interarms Mark X in .25-06 Remington

Zastava LK M70 in 7X64mm Brenneke

Remington 798 rebarreled to .338-06

I like controlled round feed bolt action rifles for hunting grin
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Rifle for your region - 03/24/20
Here in SW MO, not much more than a 243 or similar is needed. Thinking of going that way myself. Have used the 30-06 pretty extensively in a pre64 Model 70. Before that, in the poor times, hunted everything with a Winchester 94 in .45 Colt because that is what I had. Wasn’t much of a handicap, really. Went good with that Cimarron in the same caliber. This year, looking into a .243, as the vast majority of my shots will be under 300 yards anyway. I don’t hunt anything an 80 TTSX or a 95 NBT won’t handle. I guess if the zoos let out the bigger stuff, I’ll break out the FN FAL!
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Rifle for your region - 03/25/20
Rem 700 CDL 25.06 for over 30yrs. Lots of open crop fields, power lines and big cut overs around here so the 25.06 is my go to for deer and coyotes.
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Rifle for your region - 03/25/20
T/C Encore, 24" 7mm-08. 120 gr. Barnes TTSX for Deer. T/C Contender Carbines in 22 Hornet & 223 Rem. for the rest. (Well, mostly).
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rifle for your region - 03/25/20
Matty99669: I'll share ONE of my favorite/most used Rifles for my region and for some of the game I use it for.
I killed my latest Whitetail Deer, my latest Antelope and my latest Mule Deer with the Rifle I'll describe to you.
It is, of course, in caliber 270 Winchester.
The Rifle and scope are as follows: Remington 700 Sendero (26" heavy barrel with fiberglass factory stock) with a Leupold 6.5x20x40mm variable scope (this one has a 30mm tube!) with fine Du-Plex reticle. This Remington Sendero is what I describe as an "extremely accurate" Rifle.
I use this Rifle for Whitetails, as where I Hunt the ranges are ALWAYS long - 350 yards minimum (on out to my furthest kill at 510 lasered yards).
This all factory stock Rifle has an excellent trigger and its mass is very helpful afield when I am shooting under improvised conditions.
Knock on wood - I have killed my last 7 (seven) Whitetail Bucks with this Rifle firing a total of 7 (seven!) shots.
Again knock on wood!
Patience, a heavy, accurate Rifle with a top quality scope and a good bi-pod and this makes for a pleasing and humane outcome.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Rifle for your region - 03/26/20
LH Rem 700 KS in .270 Win....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle for your region - 03/26/20
There are too many "perfect" rifles for my area.

I'm always working on one, re-doing another. So, I end up with a different choice about every season.

To me, hunting is a lab for my gun projects...

So "the rifle" should be "which rifle this season" for my area.

DF
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Rifle for your region - 03/30/20
.270 Model 70
Posted By: haazrob Re: Rifle for your region - 03/30/20
Dirtfarmer explained it perfectly. Remington 760 pumps are extremely popular here in my area of Pennsylvania. First part of my hunting history was a 760 308. I really enjoy my 700 mountain rifles now. Depends on if we're pushing deer or stillhunting.
Posted By: Tackleman Re: Rifle for your region - 04/02/20
Custom FN 300 in 7x57. Built in 1963 by Chet Carmichel. Killed lots of deer, elk, sheep, javelina and Coyotes.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Rifle for your region - 04/02/20
The one that I consider my do-all rifle is a Ruger Mark II stainless, bead blasted, with a Timney trigger, Pacific Research stock, 338 Winchester, presently with a 30mm Kahles 1.5-6x42 scope.

But I like different rifles and the 375 and 416 cartridges. I usually moose hunt with either a Ruger stainless in 375 or 416 Ruger, with McMillan stocks. I play musical scopes with these so it varies from 1.1-4x24's, 1-6x24, 1.5-6x42, 1.5-8x42.

I have rifles other than Rugers, but the Ruger stainless rifles are usually what I use.

Posted By: Filaman Re: Rifle for your region - 04/02/20
My go to boom stick is a rattly old scratched up dented up wooden stocked .270 Winchester Made in 1966 model 70 push feed Winchester. I bought it when I was a dumb kid of 18 new in the box, oh and I was so proud of it all new and shiny (The young are usually mpressed with shiny). I didn't realize that back then those in the know thought of it as a blasfumous creation held as an abomination of God and Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor. But looking back over the 54 years I've owned and hunted with it I now realize that it wasn't all that bad of a choice. The action is probably stronger than a pre-64 and its a sub MOA 5 shot grouper with my pet load and when I'm really on my game, and the proof in the pudding is that it's taken over 70 deer in the last 54 years and that's been while in the company of several other nice rifles I own. The last hog and the last deer I killed were both done with that ratty old Push Feed model 70 and they were both DRT..
Posted By: Windfall Re: Rifle for your region - 04/02/20
Filaman, That post 64 M70 of yours wasn't an abomination to Elmer Kieth, at least how he wrote it up back in 1965 when I was reading every word he wrote in G&A magazine. I had scraped together $125.00 apple picking and lawn mowing and just knew that I needed a .30-06 and an Elmer recommended post 64 M70. That rifle kicked me out from under my hat and bruised my cheek with every shot. It had a free floated channel that was huge and pressed slick varnished over "checkering" that was terrible and worse than nothing at all. Elmer did me wrong and I've held it against him ever since. It was a post 64 and it handled like a post too. What an absolute bone that thing was. Insult to injury, my neighbor Frank was a aging gun guy and as a kid I would go over to his house and clean his firearms and listen to his hunting stories. Knowing that I had been saving for a new deer rifle, Frank offered me his mint condition pre-war M70 .30-06 for that same $125.00 and as an ignorant kid, I declined. Winchester might have gotten their act together some time after 1965, but they sure missed the mark with that new "improved" M70.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rifle for your region - 04/02/20
Well I don't think much of " if you could only have one bullshit whatevers" because this the US and I should have whatever I can afford too own. Sounds like rational that you gotta ask your wife or something.. in the spirit of Region anything I have will work and nothing will work any better than my collection of Model 1903 & 1903A3 bolt guns some with irons and rec sights some with scopes 30-06 load down to 30-30 and 300 Sav levels across to 308 Win. Std 30-06 loads or use the best powders and bullets in the long barreled ones to approach 300 mag levels. I got one in 308 Norma mag and one in 300 Win mag so I'm coverd there too.Whatever it's the best and [bleep] the rest. The 1903 Springfield is just about one of the only things that the turds who spend our tax dollars got right on the first go around. They [bleep] up the 06 1st go around but got it right on the second. Everything else the tax spending turds has gone downhill since. The way I see it. MB
Posted By: lastround Re: Rifle for your region - 04/04/20
I haven’t decided yet. Either my 6.5 Creedmoor Barrett Fieldcraft, or my semi-custom M700 7mm-08. Or maybe my Ruger M77 Mk II in 308. All are stainless and all shoot well. So.........
Posted By: Quak Re: Rifle for your region - 04/04/20
CZ 550 Standard in .308. This model was never sold in the US but was their bread and butter in Europe, Africa, and AU. It looks like an old Brno 602. Its basically the cz version of the Winchester 54. It has all steel express sights and more drop at the comb to accommodate them and a very slender forend. Also have 3 position safteys. Very much a turn of the century sporting mauser in appearance

A bunch popped up last summer when a distributor imported a pile from the AU distributor (winchester iirc) as they stoped importing them into AU and had a pile on hand. They sold out fast...i picked up 2 more for a total of 3. All have ridiculously good walnut. I called CZ USA about the rifles and they had no idea what they were and couldn't tell me anything about them based on serial number. Matter of fact they thought they were pistols based on the serial lol. Based on the date codes by the proof marks mine were all made in the early 00s

My brother was jealous but by the time he pulled his wallet out the distributer was sold out and he had to pay over 1k on gun broker for the only one available.

Its funny...every time a mauser fan sees mine they are always like...what in the hell is that and is it for sale?

here is a generic pic

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14743371#Post14743371
Posted By: Quak Re: Rifle for your region - 04/04/20
I should add...nicest rifles I have ever owned...in every way.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Rifle for your region - 04/04/20
Up until the early '70's, I'd bet every other rifle in my region was the 99 Savage, mostly in .300 with later a fair number of .308's. After that, it seems the bolt guns took over in popularity, but in such a wild selection of cartridges it would be difficult to catalog them. The "killers" went to the 7mag, the 300 mags, the meat hunters with all manner of milder cartridges, and always that core of old guys who would never be parted from their '06's. I can honestly say I have never seen a single man afield with an AR style weapon around here. Other than myself, I have never seen anybody hunting with iron sights either, for the last 30 years.

My 1982 Ruger M77 has hunted elk and deer more years than all my other rifles combined, but in the last few years my .Ruger MKII 300WM and MKII .338WM have seen more use, in part because thy both have synthetic (boat paddle) stocks rather than wood and the .338 is stainless as well.

When it comes to antelope, my 1989 Ruger M77 has seen far more use than all my other rifles combined. It has been used by two of my daughters and two nephews as well as myself. About three years ago I used it to take down an antelope on the run at 500 yards with a 110g AB @ 3163fps M.V., one and done. That rifle is my favorite for lots of reasons.

As an all-around rifle it would be hard to beat my stainless Ruger MKII .30-06. It came to me with a nutmeg laminate handle which quickly swapped out for a Ruger boat-paddle. I've had it out to the range a couple times lately, shooting steel at 600 yards, and have killed clay pigeons on the berm with it at that range.

Left to right: Ruger MKII .300WM, MKII .30-06, MKII .338WM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Rifle for your region - 04/05/20
I am not sure but I have some 308 based shooters that will get the nod. .308 and .358 seem to be my main choices. I can't decide for sure. I like the Scout rifle from Steyr but also like the 358 Winchester in Savage 99, Remington 7600, and BLR. So I would have to make a decision here. My 358 whitetail kills have been DRTs. Some of the .308s were as well. For a choice I like all of the above. The cases are readily available and so are bullets. I can cast the 180 gr WFN for the revolver AND the 358 Winchesters. All good for a whitetail here in Misery. Never had to take a shot farther than 100 yards and most were less than 50. If the shot is longer get closer. And never pass on a close shot when the deer says "Shoot me!". Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am not sure but I have some 308 based shooters that will get the nod. .308 and .358 seem to be my main choices. I can't decide for sure. I like the Scout rifle from Steyr but also like the 358 Winchester in Savage 99, Remington 7600, and BLR. So I would have to make a decision here. My 358 whitetail kills have been DRTs. Some of the .308s were as well. For a choice I like all of the above. The cases are readily available and so are bullets. I can cast the 180 gr WFN for the revolver AND the 358 Winchesters. All good for a whitetail here in Misery. Never had to take a shot farther than 100 yards and most were less than 50. If the shot is longer get closer. And never pass on a close shot when the deer says "Shoot me!". Be Well, Rustyzipper.

It’s pretty darn hard to beat a .35 caliber for versatility.....if you hand load! I always thought that a .350 Griffin and Howe Magnum or a .358 STA may be the near perfect cartridge. Though, not really practical for foreign hunts! memtb
Posted By: 1minute Re: Rifle for your region - 04/05/20
No way a single unit can accommodate my diverse needs.
Posted By: OAM Re: Rifle for your region - 04/05/20

It’s pretty darn hard to beat a .35 caliber for versatility.....if you hand load! I always thought that a .350 Griffin and Howe Magnum or a .358 STA may be the near perfect cartridge. Though, not really practical for foreign hunts! memtb

I have to admit I have never heard of .358 STA. After a 20min google session I know I must have one!!!
Posted By: Filaman Re: Rifle for your region - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by Windfall
Filaman, That post 64 M70 of yours wasn't an abomination to Elmer Kieth, at least how he wrote it up back in 1965 when I was reading every word he wrote in G&A magazine. I had scraped together $125.00 apple picking and lawn mowing and just knew that I needed a .30-06 and an Elmer recommended post 64 M70. That rifle kicked me out from under my hat and bruised my cheek with every shot. It had a free floated channel that was huge and pressed slick varnished over "checkering" that was terrible and worse than nothing at all. Elmer did me wrong and I've held it against him ever since. It was a post 64 and it handled like a post too. What an absolute bone that thing was. Insult to injury, my neighbor Frank was a aging gun guy and as a kid I would go over to his house and clean his firearms and listen to his hunting stories. Knowing that I had been saving for a new deer rifle, Frank offered me his mint condition pre-war M70 .30-06 for that same $125.00 and as an ignorant kid, I declined. Winchester might have gotten their act together some time after 1965, but they sure missed the mark with that new "improved" M70.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you for the fit and finish and the kicking part. I tell people my .270 kicks like an Arkansas Mule and they look at me like, "You Wimp!" But then if they shoot it they say Dayum! That thing does kick! Five rounds on the bench and I'm ready to put that thing up. But while hunting I don't notice it. But like I said that thing is accurate and I love the trigger. I adjusted the trigger about 35 years ago and I haven't touched it since. It's about 2 1/2 pounds and breaks like glass. And it's light to carry and is otherwise a joy to hunt with so I think I'm gonna keep it, LOL!!!
Posted By: Plainsman Re: Rifle for your region - 05/02/20
I’m in North Dakota which means hunting deep coulees with thick brush to wide open prairie where you can turn 360 degrees and not see a tree anywhere in the horizon! I have hunted in spots where I shot a deer at 8 yards into the trees one year and the next year one across the open field in the opposite direction 330 yards away!

So whats the best rifle combo for me, here; a .25-06 with a variable Power Redfield scope mounted on an H&R break action rifle. I had a bolt action Winchester Model 70 with a BOSS, in .25-06 and a 6-24x40mm scope, but that was a beast humping all day.

The .25-06 works for coyotes too!
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Rifle for your region - 05/02/20
Tikka T3 stainless lite in 6.5 x 55, for deer and coyotes.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Rifle for your region - 05/02/20
In my immediate region, my "rifle" is a Winchester M1300 12 ga. pump. No centerfire rifles allowed for deer in NJ. Fully rifled, fiber optic open sights. Bought it used at my LGS a few years ago. Took it to the range, fired three rounds, cheap Federal sabots, at 50 yds. made a very small cloverleaf w/ all holes touching. Couldn't believe my eyes.

For those too infrequent out-of-state hunts, there's a Ruger M77 tang-safety in .257 Roberts wearing a McMillan stock.
Originally Posted by OAM

I have to admit I have never heard of .358 STA. After a 20min google session I know I must have one!!!

I played with one 25+ years ago on a Brevex Magnum Mauser action and a 24" barrel. It performed like a .340 Weatherby in terms of velocities gained per bullet weight.
The only thing I didn't like was the shoulder was squarish and tended to hang up too much for my liking when feeding, but that could be a singular detriment relating to that particular rifle so being a custom barreled action, may not be representative for other rifles so chambered. The cartridge was also quite accurate.
Posted By: Cigar Re: Rifle for your region - 05/12/20
Same one for the last 40 years.. M77Ruger 270win..
Posted By: AKduck Re: Rifle for your region - 05/12/20
I mainly reach for a Kimber 6 Creed on my hunts. Lots of folks hunting with stainless Ruger M77s in some flavor though.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/12/20
First gun that I grab is my 98 Mauser 30-06, second is usually my .338 wm, in 700 action. .223 Savage 200, aftermarket trigger, and stock goes everywhere my truck goes. Rifles for my region! Others go along sometimes, just because they need some attention!
Posted By: mgorm16640 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/12/20
My go to rifle in Pennsylvania was 257 Roberts, current rifle is a Shaw Mark VII with a Leupold 4-12. From crows and groundhogs to coyotes and then deer it did it all. Now in WY it is still my go to rifle for most applications except elk, and even then I keep telling myself that it I need to take it out for cow elk with a good 120 partition load.
Posted By: HawkCreek Re: Rifle for your region - 05/12/20
I prefer hunting the desert here in Washington. It's where I gre up and is familiar. An old beat up Remington 700 ADL still in the cheap factory stock with a 3rd hand used Leupold 3-9 is my go-to meat gun. Its ugly and there is nothing "fancy" about the .30-06 but it's such a familiar setup to me I trust it completely. 400 yards isnt a hard shot with that gun though I prefer getting closet just for the challenge.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by mgorm16640
My go to rifle in Pennsylvania was 257 Roberts, current rifle is a Shaw Mark VII with a Leupold 4-12. From crows and groundhogs to coyotes and then deer it did it all. Now in WY it is still my go to rifle for most applications except elk, and even then I keep telling myself that it I need to take it out for cow elk with a good 120 partition load.

mgorm16640
First .....Welcome to “the fire”! I also, noticed that we’re neighbors! I hope you have an opportunity for that cow! memtb

HawkCreek, I see you’ve also got a low post count......welcome to “the fire”! memtb
Posted By: JonnyGumbo Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14872158/win-70[/img]

Win 70 featherweight .30-06
Originally Posted by JonnyGumbo

Howdy Jonny, I see that you are another newcomer and from my home state. Welcome to “the fire”! memtb
Posted By: 79S Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20

Here you go

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jay Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20
Winchester .280 Fwt I picked up last fall. Real nice wood, phone camera does not do it justice.
Took a buck with 140 Barnes.

Jay, truly a beautiful rifle......too pretty to hunt with! smile memtb
Posted By: jay Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20
Thanks memtb. I know that feeling and used to think that way but I'm at point now where I use them all. I was just keeping them "like new" for someone else to have/enjoy down the road. Life truly is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle. I now look at the marks on my hunting rifles as memories of hunts and character added.
jay

Howdy Jonny, I see that you are another newcomer and from my home state. Welcome to “the fire”! memtb

Thanks! Glad to be here

Originally Posted by 79S

Here you go

[Linked Image]

Thanks for that, im still having a little trouble figuring out pics on here
Originally Posted by jay
Winchester .280 Fwt I picked up last fall. Real nice wood, phone camera does not do it justice.
Took a buck with 140 Barnes.

Yeah thats a real nice one, dont see wood like that anymore!
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Rifle for your region - 05/13/20

You originally posted a link to the image gallery thread inside the IMG tags. Instead, click on the image in your image gallery, then right click over the image and select copy link from the drop down menu. Paste that inside your IMG tags.

Nice rifle. M70 featherweights are sweet.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

You originally posted a link to the image gallery thread inside the IMG tags. Instead, click on the image in your image gallery, then right click over the image and select copy link from the drop down menu. Paste that inside your IMG tags.

Nice rifle. M70 featherweights are sweet.

Thank ya sir! yep they are pretty sweet..made a few mods to that one, had some NECG sights put on it, some qd rings and a timney trigger, and worked up some handloads with 165 gn speer hot cors and reloder 16 goin around 2950 fps..good little setup for the thick woods/swamp around here
Posted By: hanco Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
I sure like the featherweight stocks.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
More and more, using my faux Howa Alpine in 7mm-08 for everything. Picked up the same cerekoted barreled action, but with a 22" barrel. Talley lightweights support a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 and it all sits nicely in a Bansner stock. My hand loads, using 120gr Barnes TTSX shoot sub moa and, so far, has killed everything I've shot with it. Lol! It's a nice, easy to carry, rifle.
Posted By: PHWILLIE Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
A push feed Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 is my all around rifle. My Savage 99F in 300 savage is the one I would not part with.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
Wby MK V 280 Remington
Sako 85 Finnlight 308 Winchester

Featherweights have wonderful stock design, featherweight they are not.
Posted By: Weissman4 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
Remington 700 Varmit SPS .308
Savage 111 300 Win. Mag w/ accustock & Trigger
Anderson Arms AR-15 350 Legend Custom

My top three go to rifles besides my other varmit hunting rifles.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Rifle for your region - 05/14/20
Here in southern Michigan I wish I could use the rifles I have but I cant so its basically this 450bushy. Over the winter I picked up a 350L and I'll run it this summer to see if I like it.

Attached picture 20200514_195330.jpg
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Here in southern Michigan I wish I could use the rifles I have but I cant so its basically this 450bushy. Over the winter I picked up a 350L and I'll run it this summer to see if I like it.

My guess is that you will. They're fun and kill just fine.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Rifle for your region - 05/17/20
Here's my 350. Personally I think cosmetically it needs work but I'm gonna see how well it shoots and go from there.

Attached picture 20200517_121718.jpg
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/17/20
Nice.
I'm going to buy/bui!d an AR handgun to go along with the Ruger Ranch.

George
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Rifle for your region - 05/17/20
I figure worse case, I can rebarrel it. Or sell the upper to make my money back. I think I paid 170 for the complete upper. The bushnell I had laying around.

I hope it shoots good. I'll buy new hand guards and a flash suppressor of some kind.
Posted By: mgorm16640 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/20/20

mgorm16640
First .....Welcome to “the fire”! I also, noticed that we’re neighbors! I hope you have an opportunity for that cow! memtb

Thanks, I think we have chatted before. You shoot a 375 H&H
Posted By: memtb Re: Rifle for your region - 05/20/20

mgorm16640

Thanks, I think we have chatted before. You shoot a 375 H&H

Very possible......I’ve got a bad case of “CRS”! mad Your memory seems to be much better than mine! Actually a .375 AI! You need to come back to “the fire”, more often! memtb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/20/20
If I posted on this earlier, please keep in mind I'm old and simple.

We can use any centerfire here, so I could go as low as a .223 without issue, and maybe without bears. But Virginia is less than two miles from here, and they have a .23 caliber minimum, so a 6mm of some sort is probably as low as I could go and cover all my possibilities. Have two of those right now.

Can't imagine being without both a .308 and a .270 though; just too much history with those, and they certainly get it done. Also, a 98 is, to my mind anyway, the last word in hunting rifles, so if "There Can Be Only One", one of my FN .270s would be it, and I'd just have to deal with the weight as best I could.
Posted By: 3006slinger Re: Rifle for your region - 05/24/20
Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .30-06
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/24/20
Sadly, no rifles are allowed for hunting where I live. It's all buckshot and muzzleloader hunting. So all my rifles have to travel to hunt.
I can and do use my old Ruger 77 50 muzzle loader a lot here. Ive taken a bunch of Dee and turkeys and one bear with it.
Bfly
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Rifle for your region - 05/25/20
For southern Michigan I use a thumb hole TC Encore with a Bellm mgm 357 max barrel.

Perfection
Posted By: rufous Re: Rifle for your region - 05/27/20
Where I live and hunt in SW Michigan we are limited in what we can use for firearms to hunt deer. In order to use a rifle we have to use a straight sided case (no bottle neck) of at least 35 caliber and the case can be no longer than 1.8". When I moved to Michigan from Washington state I brought along a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45/70. Initially I thought it would be illegal to use but after reading the regulations more closely I discovered that I could use it as long as I trimmed the cases shorter to 1.8". So that is what I am doing. I had to have my sizing die ground down shorter and I had to get a custom made Lee Factory Crimp Die but it is working well for me. I am using the Hornady 325 FTX bullet. So far I have only killed 2 whitetail does with this setup but the previous year I killed a whitetail doe with my scoped Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. That too worked quite well at 55 yards.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/27/20
Heym SR-21 8x57IS. Mainly hunting for wild boar and roe deer in a mix of fields and forests, but it'll drop a red deer with ease, too. If I'm after something smaller, the Heym Bockdrilling comes with me.
If I had to choose a caliber for it again, I'd go with the .30-06, though. At least with factory ammo I have noticed a significant advantage in shock and instant kills with the '06.
Love the look of those Featherweight Model 70s, by the way.

Attached picture Heym SR 21.jpg
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Rifle for your region - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Heym SR-21 8x57IS. Mainly hunting for wild boar and roe deer in a mix of fields and forests, but it'll drop a red deer with ease, too. If I'm after something smaller, the Heym Bockdrilling comes with me.
If I had to choose a caliber for it again, I'd go with the .30-06, though. At least with factory ammo I have noticed a significant advantage in shock and instant kills with the '06.
Love the look of those Featherweight Model 70s, by the way.

Not too familiar with Heym. Prompted me to look them up. Looks like a quality rifle. Watched a quick review on youtube (Heym SR 21 - Planete CHASSE). Didn't understand a word the guy said but the bolt seemed smooth to operate and the stock is a nice slim profile. Is the bottom of the magazine metal or polymer? The mag release button looks slightly recessed -- have you ever experienced an unintentional release while carrying? Guessing not.

So many rifles would work in my neck of the woods, but I've been using my BLR .358 Win the most lately. Plenty of punch, light to carry and quick into action if necessary. 20" barrel isn't too long to navigate through thick woods. Scope is a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 but I would have put a Weaver V Classic 1-3x20 on it if I'd known its eye relief was 4" instead of the 3.1" they used to list it at. It would be a little lighter and trimmer mount, but the Bushnell has worked fine so far. I've been shooting Hornady 200 gr Interlocks (both RN and SP) handloaded with IMR-3031.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Rifle for your region - 05/27/20
Nice buck and rifle. Especially in that chambering.
The magazine is all metal. I don't recall the rifle having any plastic or synthetic parts, actually. The spring of the magazine release is fairly stiff, so the mag is only released when you press it like you mean it.
USOG has a fairly good video on the Heym. I can fully agree with him on the fact that the true highlight is the stock.
Posted By: JonnyGumbo Re: Rifle for your region - 05/28/20
The magazine is all metal. I don't recall the rifle having any plastic or synthetic parts, actually. The spring of the magazine release is fairly stiff, so the mag is only released when you press it like you mean it.
USOG has a fairly good video on the Heym. I can fully agree with him on the fact that the true highlight is the stock.

Welcome, boomer, good to see some input from germany!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Rifle for your region - 05/28/20
I've used a couple dozen (more in my Lifetime) out here in Utah since 1990, just because I am a gun looney who won't accumulate, always trade/sell to try something different. Some were given away, some set aside as heirlooms for later. "Right now"...a Kimber 84L Classic (nice wood!) blue steel in .270; a Bergara B14 Hunter tricked out 300WM and a special little Kimber 8400 Classic ( stainless steel and gorgeous wood) 300 WSM. ha Each one is proving to be excellent shooters with "my favorite hunting bullets-Barnes TTSX". Over the years, I have used more Noslers and Barnes than any others, though I have used many Corlokts, Sierras and Hornadys. Also played with Hawk, Woodleigh, Swift AF/Scirocco. I also prefer the Light Sporter/Mountain Rifle type of bolt guns. I want it light & lively in my hands. I am also not a LRH, I've shot several head around 375-380, but don't care for it. I prefer 100-200 yds.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Rifle for your region - 05/28/20
In the last fifteen years, it seems I usually hunt with a Tikka T3 regardless of home area or out of state. Current T3 is a stainless 22" barrel 30-06 with a Tract Turion 2-10x42 BDC scope with LimbSaver pad and stock painted with textured charcoal gray. Very accurate with 168 TTSX. Love it.

Posted By: Terry_M Re: Rifle for your region - 05/29/20
Rem 700 Long Action 7mm-08

Loaded with a stout charge of RL17 and 168gr ABLRs .005 off the lands.

My youngest daughter took her first elk with that rifle at 548yds. Not it's first (or last) elk, but the most memorable for sure.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Rifle for your region - 06/01/20

USOG does great videos. Clearly he's a steel and walnut guy at heart, but he recognizes the good features in every thing he covers and appreciates utilitarian stuff like H&R single-shots.
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Rifle for your region - 06/01/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348

USOG does great videos. Clearly he's a steel and walnut guy at heart, but he recognizes the good features in every thing he covers and appreciates utilitarian stuff like H&R single-shots.

I enjoy his videos
Posted By: TNTBR Re: Rifle for your region - 06/03/20
Primarily a M70 in 300 WM
Posted By: Benbo Re: Rifle for your region - 07/28/20
Kimber 84 308, 3-9 Leupold compact 150 horn sp. if it’s bigger than deer 168Tsx both loaded in Lapua brass and H4895.
Posted By: 83mvp Re: Rifle for your region - 07/30/20
High plains of north Texas. Mesquite flats to grain fields. Barrett Fieldcraft in .25-06. Hogs to deer to varmints. It does it all for me.
Posted By: gatekeeper Re: Rifle for your region - 07/30/20
Remington 700 CDL 7mm Rem Mag. Pillar and glass bedded, barrel free floated to the lug, Timney trigger, Nikon Monarch3 3-12x42 in Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts. 160gr Accubonds at 3100fps or 175 Partitions at 2950fps
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Rifle for your region - 07/30/20
I have some in 308. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Rifle for your region - 07/31/20
When I lived in NW Ont, a Tikka M65 in 30-06.

Now as a flat-lander in Manitoba, a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede. (But I ain't giving the '06 away. wink )
Posted By: waterrat Re: Rifle for your region - 08/01/20
35 Gibbs for moose and 411 KDF for brown bears.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Rifle for your region - 08/02/20
"My Region" is mainly North & Central Florida and the Low Country of South Carolina. I enjoy hunting from climbers or stands off the beaten path where a deer can truly come from 360⁰. A 7mm-08 has been a favorite of mine for years. This is a 23 inch GAP that's about ideal for me.

This is a good outline of how I hunt.

3 deer are in the first pic. A hot doe crashed in, then I grunted out the buck.

© 24hourcampfire