Home
Posted By: 6MMWASP What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
What would you use in a 6.5 SAUM on a hunt to Africa if you were going to hunt everything from Steenbuck to Eland.

Or would you just pick up a larger caliber?

Just looking for experience with 6.5 bullets. Not new to Africa just not a lot of experience with 6.5's on Larger African game. I do know 120 BT's worked well for me on 2 nice kudu bulls. with quite a few smaller critters as well

Any experience with the Swift A Frame or Woodleigh?
Posted By: hanco Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
125 Partition
Posted By: viking Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
Or TSX.
Posted By: ingwe Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
TTSX or a Swift A-Frame.
Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
Barnes, Nosler, or Hornady coppers, or also the other premiums such as Accubonds, Partitions etc. I would go with the 140-grainers, for sure.
Posted By: Tejano Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
I would go for any of the ones mentioned in the 140 grain class. Eland are big even if considered soft extra penetration will not hurt. The 160 Woodleigh is a classic RN for thorn brush PP for more open country. Pick what you would use for elk or moose. I favored the Barnes so much I didn't use the Partitions I had on that trip.
Posted By: efw Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
120 ETip, 120 GMX, or 127 LRX whichever yer rifle likes best.
Posted By: Bater Re: What bullet would you use - 01/24/20
130 Swift Scirocco or TTSX would handle that easily
Posted By: brinky72 Re: What bullet would you use - 01/25/20
The same bullet you would use for elk or moose.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: What bullet would you use - 01/25/20
I’ve killed a couple elk with 140 gr partitions and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Take it for what it’s worth...
Posted By: 805 Re: What bullet would you use - 01/25/20
What twist rate? I’d look at Hammer bullets from your home state! Pick the heaviest for you twist.
140gr Partition or Swift A Frame, whichever is more accurate would get the job, good luck and have fun, I'm going back somewhere this fall.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: What bullet would you use - 01/25/20
Originally Posted by ingwe
TTSX or a Swift A-Frame.

Good choices. I'd choose the TTSX as I have become very fond of them
A frame
Posted By: Dre Re: What bullet would you use - 01/27/20
Ttsx has not failed me yet.
If I had to choose a new bullet to load for I’d be looking at federal trophy bonded
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: What bullet would you use - 01/27/20
Thanks for the responses.

I have some 130 Scorocco's and 140 Partitions I'll give them a try.

130 Scorocco's and A-Frames out of a 270 WSM worked very well for me on my last trip

I just know that mono's have to be working but have a hell of a time giving them a try. On my first safari , my hunting buddy, shooting Barnes X's out of a 7 STW was a fiasco. That was many years ago and I hear and read a lot of good results with TSX, TTSX and the Hornady. Nosler mono's as well.

This old timer has a thing about lead in bullets.
Posted By: Dre Re: What bullet would you use - 01/28/20
if you like lead, then I suggest reading my post again and looking up the federals
Originally Posted by hunter5325
130 Swift Scirocco or TTSX would handle that easily

This would work for me.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: What bullet would you use - 01/28/20
I'll take a look
I run 147 ELDM in my 6.5 GAP at 3060fps and would not hesitate to use it on any of the larger plains game out a long way. 1650 ft-lbs at 600yds at 2150fps
No hesitation from 40-600+ yards with deer to elk and mostly bang flops or wobble flops every time. May make for nasty exit wounds on the smaller stuff though.
SnT
Posted By: hanco Re: What bullet would you use - 01/31/20
A 130 Accubond might be good.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: What bullet would you use - 02/01/20
Have you talked with your PH about using a 6.5mm on Eland?

He likely will severely limit your shot opportunities with such a light rifle.

If you are hunting a game farm, this might not matter, ie plenty of opportunities.

I have hunted Eland on a game farm in RSA (with a 300 mag) and in the wild in Zim and I would not hunt them in the wild with anything less than a 375...just because with the limited opportunities you cannot demand such a particular presentation.

Just my $0.02
Posted By: szihn Re: What bullet would you use - 02/01/20
I would use a heavy-for-caliber Barnes, Swift, Woodlie or Norma. Bonded of solid-expanding.
140 Partition
Posted By: CRS Re: What bullet would you use - 02/02/20
I am partial to monometal bullets. I would start with a T/TSX.
I've used nothing but Barnes XBT, and Failsafe bullets on Plains Game, lightest rifle was a 300WM/180, then 338WM, 340Wby , 35 Whelen AI, 375 H&H. But the heaviest game we all killed were zebra. There were lots of Cape Eland on these "farms" ( we would call them ranches) but we never hunted them. Indeed, they are big. I had a missionary friend who lived in SA back in the 90's and early 2000s. I had given him a 30-06 and a bunch of the old Federal High Energy 180 partition loads. They went 2970fps in that rifle! He had no trouble with Cape Eland. His friend did make a wrong first shot on Blue Wildebeast and it took all day and many shots later to get him! So, "if it were me" and I wanted to use that 6.5 SAUM I would use a heavy mono, shoot him at the base of the neck ( where it joins the shoulders) or base of the skull. I once shot a zebra through the head ( 210 xbt form 340Wby) and it did not ruin the cape.
Posted By: GreggH Re: What bullet would you use - 02/08/20
On Eland I think I would step up a little in cartridge. The others good to go.
GreggH
Posted By: WAM Re: What bullet would you use - 02/08/20
I don’t know the first thing about hunting plains game in Aferca, but I would question taking a 6.5 oddball cartridge on such a hunt that far from your loading bench. Happy Trails
© 24hourcampfire