Home
I would like to find a hunting lodge east of the Mississippi to hunt bison. Planning this hunt for 2021 -2022, my budget is $3,000 +/-, not looking for a trophy animal just meat and hide. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
I was quoted $5500 for a meat bison.
A little surfing comes up with between 3,550 to 5500 for meat animals.
I've surfed the 'net and already have that info, looking for personal recommendations. Thanks.
not east of Mississippi, but ColoradoBob1135 on here has them to hunt
pm sent
Its not east of the miss. But there is a ranch near Jamestown n.d. that's in your price range. I looked into it and it looked great. I ended up doing the crow reservation hunt. More for the scenery than anything else. (That was 5k at the time.) Well worth the extra in my opinion.
http://shawneehunting.com/

I haven't been there to hunt, but it's just upriver from Cincinnati, and I've not heard anything bad from them. It's been around forever.
I have an Angus bull available on my farm in Upstate NY. We can put him in a 200+ acre pasture and hike around for a few hours. The cost would be slightly under $3k and includes delivery to the butcher. Great cape on him as well.
There a guy on here that does hunts out of the Rez on Montana
Originally Posted by ejo
I have an Angus bull available on my farm in Upstate NY. We can put him in a 200+ acre pasture and hike around for a few hours. The cost would be slightly under $3k and includes delivery to the butcher. Great cape on him as well.

LMAO smile
Cheaper bison hunts up here but no lodge.
Look Caryonah Lodge in Crossville, TN. They offer bison for $3000.

I've been there a number of times for hog hunting and have seen the bison. Looks like a pasture shoot.
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob

I've been there a number of times for hog hunting and have seen the bison. Looks like a pasture shoot.

How was the hog hunting there? I've looked at them online. I want to hunt, not just shoot a farm raised pet. But don't want to drive to Florida. I've done hogs twice in Florida and had a good time both times.

-Jake
Originally Posted by ejo

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by ribka

That's the one I did. 30 hart is his name here.
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

How was it?
I have taken 4 or 5 yearling bison heifers for meat in WY and MT. I don't really believe there is anywhere on private land that you can "hunt" a bison. Shoot yes, hunt no. To be completely honest they just ain't that smart. Thats how they stacked them up by the millions. If you want to hunt bison then put in for a tag where they still have free ranging herds. AZ, AK and UT come to mind. Sometimes you can get tags to take them after they wander out of Yellowstone but the bunny huggers have been trying to shut that down for years.

Bison are great meat and they provide a neat hide to use but they aren't a real challenge to take no matter how big the piece of private ground is. One of the places in MT that I have taken them off of is over 100,000 acres and the hardest part of that "hunt" was finding them. Once found it is just a matter of closing the distance and dropping them.
Originally Posted by MAC
I have taken 4 or 5 yearling bison heifers for meat in WY and MT. I don't really believe there is anywhere on private land that you can "hunt" a bison. Shoot yes, hunt no. To be completely honest they just ain't that smart. Thats how they stacked them up by the millions. If you want to hunt bison then put in for a tag where they still have free ranging herds. AZ, AK and UT come to mind. Sometimes you can get tags to take them after they wander out of Yellowstone but the bunny huggers have been trying to shut that down for years.

Bison are great meat and they provide a neat hide to use but they aren't a real challenge to take no matter how big the piece of private ground is. One of the places in MT that I have taken them off of is over 100,000 acres and the hardest part of that "hunt" was finding them. Once found it is just a matter of closing the distance and dropping them.

Now that is an honest reply.
I killed a 3year old bull back in early 2000s at 4ur ranch in South Dakota where Dances With Wolves was filmed. Was not a hunt at all even though the bison were on 60,000 acres. 3of us killed bulls then went pheasant hunting for a week while they were butchered. I had mine mounted it hangs in my den.
How much to process the hide? I’ll bet it’s spendy as hell.

‘P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
How much to process the hide? I’ll bet it’s spendy as hell.

‘P
IIRC getting a Euro done of the skull and soft tanning the hide was about $700 for the cow I shot in Custer State Park some years back. Not cheap, but worth it I think as it's unlikely I'll ever draw a tag again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Custer State Park, SD - 2016 by .com/photos/150924633@N06/]Tyler Staggs, on [bleep]
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

How was it?

It was pretty interesting, I wouldn't do twice but I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it . I guess better than a canned ranch but not quite a Henry mtns. Hunt would be the best description.
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob

How was the hog hunting there? I've looked at them online. I want to hunt, not just shoot a farm raised pet. But don't want to drive to Florida. I've done hogs twice in Florida and had a good time both times.

-Jake

I have been there four times, but not in the past ten years. The hog population at that time was self-sustaining and wild. The woman that ran the place had excellent management shills and the herd self-propagated. The daughter took over after momma died and over booked to the point where they had to bring hogs in from Canada.

If it is like it was ten years ago it would be a good hunt. I believe one of the 24 Hour big hunts was held there not too long ago. Perhaps one of those guys might comment.
https://rosshammockranch.com/

If you want to drive to Florida
Bob,

I'll try to find the old thread on that hog hunt and see what they say.

-Jake
© 24hourcampfire