Home
Experienced if somewhat crippled antelope hunter.

We have plenty of preference points, we keep having to put off due to Africa trips, weddings, work, family vacations and surgeries.

A modest trespass fee not out of the question, but would prefer public land. Just easier to organize.

Looking for a 14" or bigger buck with good mass and cutters. Like heart shaped heads/horns.

We have game carts and sleds so we can and will get away from the roads.
If I had the points I'd be putting in for 27.
Originally Posted by moosemike

Why?
Unit 60.

An absurd amount of public land. An absurd amount of antelope.
You'll have it almost totally to yourself, as there's not many permits.

I don't think the trophy quality is the best, but if you wade through enough antelope (which you'll see plenty) some 15+ inchers will show up.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Unit 60.

An absurd amount of public land. An absurd amount of antelope.
You'll have it almost totally to yourself, as there's not many permits.

I don't think the trophy quality is the best, but if you wade through enough antelope (which you'll see plenty) some 15+ inchers will show up.

This, or depending on your points, 61 or maybe 64 which is also mostly public land.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by moosemike

Why?

It's all Thunder Basin and the trophy quality is good.
If it’s a good year for precipitation, pard and I are gonna do 60
Originally Posted by Judman
According to a guy in AZ famous for guiding to large pronghorn bucks, the precipitation the year they are born is more important than the year you are hunting them. FWIW...

I hunted Unit 67 in fall of 2018. I had a phenominal 1st ever antelope hunt (DIY). It took 9 non-res points back then. Probably around 10 points now.

Big unit, 90% public land, LOTS of antelope. You can stay in Riverton and drive out daily, or camp out on the unit.

75" should be easy peasy . . .
Originally Posted by pointer
According to a guy in AZ famous for guiding to large pronghorn bucks, the precipitation the year they are born is more important than the year you are hunting them. FWIW...

Tony grimmet? Wierd, never heard that before.
Originally Posted by pointer

Tony grimmet? Wierd, never heard that before.
Him or Eli, can't remember who posted it.
Last year, early was great and this winter is lots of snow.
I would wait though and see if any of the desert areas have significant winter kill.
Those Grimmets like some areas not mentioned above too.

No hurry to apply, we should have an idea on winter kill soon.
I talked to tony a while back, he seemed to like 114..
When you say plenty of preference points, do you mean max? If you don’t have max, most of the units mentioned are not an option for you.
Well that’ll limit ya a bit, still gotta be some damn good hunts to be had with 9 points though
Unit 75 can be a fun hunt wink
Last year if a non-resident had 13 points, he had an 83% chance of drawing 60 last year with the "special" draw and 42% chance in the regular draw.

Any less than 13 points and there was a 0% chance, in either.

9 points will still get a guy a good hunt, but forget about unit 60.

With those points look at 59,88,89,92,93,94,95,100,112. Those are obtainable with 9 points. Hunts will be very similar in all from a public land and size of antelope standpoint.
Maybe look south of the Interstate for a true trophy.
Anywhere from gillette to Casper to Rawlings is loaded with goats and public land all along there. Not sure on trophy quality, but lots of goats.
© 24hourcampfire