Home
Posted By: Jethro15 378 Weatherby - 07/20/21
Hey guys, anybody here reload for 378 Weatherby?
Posted By: AK416 Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/20/21
Yep.
Posted By: Biebs Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/28/21
The 378 Wby is a cannon! Trajectory is like a 22-250 varmint rifle, but with 270gr bullets! Handloads can best Weatherby factory ammunition, especially with the new slower powders.
Posted By: Toad270 Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/30/21
Yes
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/30/21
Yes, 300gr Hornady FMJ's and Partitions at 3000 fps with IMR-7828, i was young and slap full of piss and vinegar, bought the MK-V Weatherby at Carter Country Sports in Houston Tx 1986, the rifle came magnaported, after a few ears it developed a barrel bulge at the ports, 'Smth buddy took pics for Weatherby, cut the barrel and crowned it at 24 inches, with that he dropped it into a fully bedded and pillared Pacific Research stock.

I can say to this day nothing has slapped the piss out of me like a 24 inch barreled 378 WBY in a syn stock, ho lee damn, a real eye opener! ; ]

BTW, the little 2-7x33 Leupold in Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases never missed a lick, that rifle was a shoulder fired cannon, BTW, at 'Smiths request, the action was drilled and tapped to 8-40 threads and ring halves were cemented. LOL
Posted By: 1minute Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/30/21
Mine's necked down to .30 caliber, and it seriously reaches out and touches things. So far just moose, caribou, and elk.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/30/21
No thanks.😊 The old H&H version is good enough for me. I can see the recoil as not just heavy, but fast too…bad combination.
Posted By: Biebs Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/31/21
Yes, both recoil force and recoil energy are very high.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 378 Weatherby - 07/31/21
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yes, 300gr Hornady FMJ's and Partitions at 3000 fps with IMR-7828, i was young and slap full of piss and vinegar, bought the MK-V Weatherby at Carter Country Sports in Houston Tx 1986, the rifle came magnaported, after a few ears it developed a barrel bulge at the ports, 'Smth buddy took pics for Weatherby, cut the barrel and crowned it at 24 inches, with that he dropped it into a fully bedded and pillared Pacific Research stock.

I can say to this day nothing has slapped the piss out of me like a 24 inch barreled 378 WBY in a syn stock, ho lee damn, a real eye opener! ; ]

BTW, the little 2-7x33 Leupold in Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases never missed a lick, that rifle was a shoulder fired cannon, BTW, at 'Smiths request, the action was drilled and tapped to 8-40 threads and ring halves were cemented. LOL

That rigs sounds like a party.........at the hospital ER.

7 sutures to close the right eyebrow, stat.

😬🦫
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/01/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by gunner500

That rigs sounds like a party.........at the hospital ER.

7 sutures to close the right eyebrow, stat.

😬🦫

LOL, maybe the chicks would have dug a brand new Capitol C betwixt the eyes ; ] never got kissed by that 378 WBY, was sitting on a low rock, back against tree, rattled up a nice buck, shooting off knees Knight MK-85 54 cal with 150gr Pyrodex P under sabot 325gr Barnes gaping HP, i felt it, but didnt break skin, the buck fared much worse.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/16/21
The old British cartridge designers and the mid American cartridge designers got most things right as to bullet weight and velocity.

The Kynoch double rifle cartridges, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery etc produced the necessary bullet weights with velocities that produced reasonable recoil that allowed average men with reasonable practice to learn to use them properly. More velocity allowed for flatter trajectories that made cartridges more versatile, but at the expense recoil that many could not properly handle. Ditto the mid American magnums like 264WM, 7mmRM, 300WM, 338WM, 458WM.

I, myself prefer a slower push than the faster cartridges produced. Sharp recoil is not for me. For that reason, I would not use the 378 Weatherby. By reputation, it is more recoil than I want to learn to handle. Therefore I have a 375 H&H and it's slow recoil push instead.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/17/21
Through the course of shooting at a lot of ranges and having friends that are rifle loonies like myself, I have had the opportunity of shooting damn near most calibers.

I don't seek out recoil, but I am not particularly recoil sensitive.

Biggest I have shot is a .500 NE double rifle.

The only one I shot where I wanted no part of a 2nd shot was a .378
Posted By: Jethro15 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/17/21
I originally started this thread, because a family friend left me some 378 ammo. If any of you can use new Weatherby brass and bullets, let me know and I’ll explain the details.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/20/21
Originally Posted by Jethro15
If your going to Africa use Barnes bullets nothing better, l use 7828 because l have many pounds of it but l hear from some that the African heat really makes them hotter. Try powders that are temp tolerant.
Posted By: AK416 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/21/21
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
If your going to Africa use Barnes bullets nothing better, l use 7828 because l have many pounds of it but l hear from some that the African heat really makes them hotter. Try powders that are temp tolerant.

Just don't shoot a buffalo with a 270gr LRX.....while it might be great at 375HH velocities.....it's just not up to 378 speeds...
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/21/21
Originally Posted by AK416

Just don't shoot a buffalo with a 270gr LRX.....while it might be great at 375HH velocities.....it's just not up to 378 speeds...

How do you see it failing?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/21/21

I think "African heat" raising pressures too high is a myth.

In normal hunting seasons (I've been there from May to September) it is no hotter than the Midwest USA in the Summer time.

Cordite was more temperature sensitive than modern powders but so what?
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
leave some on your dash heat in the sun and try them against some that are cool. Use a chronograph like l do then see the diff, spreads of +100 ft/sec will be seen. If you are using compression loads and over + 110 grains. Let me know your results.
Posted By: jdollar Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
Why would anyone in their right mind leave cartridges on their dashboard in warm weather?..
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
to similate the same temp you may encounter in Africa.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
Few .378 brass in Classified.
Posted By: vapodog Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
No thanks.😊 The old H&H version is good enough for me. I can see the recoil as not just heavy, but fast too…bad combination.

Put me in this camp.....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/22/21
No thanks.I want to keep my retinas firmly attached, just as God intended.

I did once (twice, actually) fire a .50 Barrett, prone. A pussycat.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/23/21
to similate the same temp you may encounter in Africa.

Have you ever been to Africa? During the normal hunting times, it's no hotter than Ohio in the Summer. In RSA in May we had ice on the water in the morning.

BTW: When I shot 1000 yards prone at Camp Perry we always kept our cartridges in the shade. If we kept a round in the chamber very long (waiting for the right wind condition), we would withdraw it and chamber another one. The hot chamber could "cook off" the round enough to miss the 10 ring vertically. All my ammo was compressed loads.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: 378 Weatherby - 08/26/21
Yeah l lived in Africa, Congo to be precise for 5 years, l live in Northern Canada, where it is not hot. Hunting season there is when it is -20 average temp here.
© 24hourcampfire