Home
Posted By: Kudu40 Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/04/22
I recently bought a Sako .375 H&H on a great deal. I didn't even consider the barrel length at the time. Measuring from the front of the action, it is just over18 inches. Do you think this barrel length will give me adequate velocity to be reliable for Cape Buffalo?
Thanks,

Kudu40
Start with the bullet selection. Always. Then work backwards to the delivery of the bullet. You're likely to be picking a fight with a buffalo around ~50 yards or so, so yes, your barrel length will do.
yes.
Should be fine. Chrono your loads and make sure you have a reasonable velocity.
The bullets will bounce of Black Death!!

Seriously you will be fine. A good bonded bullet like Swift, a mono metal like Barnes, or CEB’s offering will serve you well. Good shot placement and nyati will die a quick death.
Have told this story before, but one of the most experienced African PHs I've hunted with (and have hunted with a few) often used his .375 H&H as back-up on buffalo hunts, even in the very thick jesse of Zimbabwe--where he grew up, when it was Rhodesia, and killed his first buffalo in his teens. He told me that he was often "seriously out-gunned" by some clients--but still had to follow up many wounded bulls. and finish them with his .375.

I asked him what his favorite .375 bullet was, and he explained that since it was often difficult (or even illegal) to handload in Africa, he often used whatever ammo his clients left with him at the end of the safari, saying: "Today's bullets are all good." Oh, and he retired a few years ago

But am sure that some American hunters who been on buffalo safaris will soon post about how he didn't know what he was talking about....
The guys i hunt with in Namibia had quite a reloading run set up. If we ran out, we loaded more. Went to the gun store in Windheok. They were very well stocked in reloading tools and components. I guess only some parts of Africa have legal issues. Namibia sure doesn't.

I asked my last PH what bullets he liked in his 458. He said, " whatever you leave me!".
Dennis,

Yes, Namibia doesn't have an issues with handloading or availability. One of my good friends there owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, which is well-stocked with handloading components.

But other countries do have very different rules. In fact, Finn Aagaard (who grew up in Kenya and also guided in what was then Tanganyika) never handloaded before he moved to the U.S. in 1977, because it was illegal.
Wow. OP first post with that question? So, GFY. And I suspect if you survived the ear-splitting blast from that short-barreled rifle and put the bullet into the proper place you would wind up with a dead buffalo.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But am sure that some American hunters who been on buffalo safaris will soon post about how he didn't know what he was talking about....

What I find interesting is the difference in opinions even between PH's. One well known PH used a 9.3 by 62. Another very respected PH used a 505 Gibbs and nothing but solids, hated expanded bullets on anything. I once was in camp with a PH that basically apologized for having a 375H&H and was saving money to buy a 458 Lott.

I believe the truth of the matter is most if not nearly all wounded game, close calls, and incidents with injuries are the result of poor shooting, not 150FPS or .015 in bullet diameter or 20 grains in bullet weight.
One of the more memorable evenings I've spend in Africa took place during a month-long cull hunt in South Africa. Aside from me, a dozen other hunters took part, usually in pairs, so quite a few PHs were involved--including two that were qualified to guide for dangerous game, since the hunt also involved some Cape buffalo.

On that evening considerable beer was consumed by everyone, and the PHs started "discussing" rifles, cartridges and bullets. It was much like such discussions on the Campfire--though considerably louder yet more civil.
I stole the line my PH used: "if you want drama use a cartridge you're afraid of. Otherwise, the 375 will do."

On that trip he was carrying a lovely old 9.3x62mm with a butter knife bolt handle. I think it was a Brno...
Originally Posted by Puddle
I stole the line my PH used: "if you want drama use a cartridge you're afraid of. Otherwise, the 375 will do."

On that trip he was carrying a lovely old 9.3x62mm with a butter knife bolt handle. I think it was a Brno...

That is why I hunt with a 470 Nitro Double, to keep things exciting!!
I have a CZ in .416 Rigby, but as I get older, I am a bit more sensitive to recoil. I would rather use the .375 H&H and be able to place the shot better than use the bigger, more powerful round.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/06/22
I would be more concerned about reliable feeding, than the fact that it is a short-barreled .375!

More than a few guys have had issues with scoped Sako DG rifles getting snagged up during a rapid fire.

Be sure to run it hard, if you have a scope mounted, to check for issues.
Gee I wonder how many cape buffalo have been put down by the 375 H&H from early 1900s up to present. You are kidding, right? I’ve never hunted cape buffalo, but from all my viewing I never see shots at 200 yards and many inside 125 yards, a shorter barrel doesn’t mean much at all when operating at plus or minus 125 yards.
Posted By: RinB Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/06/22

Consider a different question. Am I capable of accurately shooting a 375 before considering anything larger?
Which is exactly why so many PHs recommend the .375 H&H--especially those who started guiding AFTER various controlled-expansion bullets appeared.

Have hunted with a number of PHs, and those who suggest (or even "insist") on larger cartridges for buffalo are usually older, when only .375 solids penetrated sufficiently--and even then some did not, including the Winchester 300-grain with a relatively thin, gilding metal jacket, which often came apart. But even "real" solids, such as many of today's monolithics, don't kill buffalo nearly as well as today's many excellent expanding bullets.

These days am astounded when a PH insists on solids only, no matter the cartridge. Many younger ones are fine with whatever GOOD expanding bullet the hunter wants to use--though some prefer "softs" (expanding bullets) that DON'T exit when hunting herds.
My 9.3x62 is looking better and better!
Have yet to be able to tell any difference in killing power between the 9.3x62 loaded to "modern" pressures and the .375 H&H.

The only problem might be local regulations, which often mean the .375 H&H.

But have also found that local regulations in Africa are often variable with a few U.S. Franklins.
... The only problem might be local regulations, which often mean the .375 H&H.

But have also found that local regulations in Africa are often variable with a few U.S. Franklins.

or as it was referred to me as "the local taxing authority"... whistle whistle whistle
I am quite capable of accurately shooting either caliber. It has become a matter of comfort and a quick follow up shot.
Curious why you would ask such a question in the first place.
I am quite capable of accurately shooting either caliber. It has become a matter of comfort and a quick follow up shot.
But even "real" solids, such as many of today's monolithics, don't kill buffalo nearly as well as today's many excellent expanding bullets.

If a guy was only going to learn one thing about buffalo bullets; that would be the one thing. Solids are pathetic.
Pathetic? Interesting word choice.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/14/22
Kudu, if you can shoot the 416 well, I'd use that....Buff can be tough. A 375 can be adequate for perfect shots, although an 18" barrel will reduce velocity by 150-250 fps. If the recoil or follow-up capability is an issue, put a recoil reducer or weight in the buttstock. You never know what type of shot you'll be presented with out in the bush. I'd err on the heavy side on a $15,000 hunt.
Posted By: NTO Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/15/22
375 h&h with a quality 300gr expanding bullet will kill a buffalo no problem. I would venture to say there are more buffalo killed every yr with a 375 h&h than all another calibers combined.
That don’t mean it isn’t fun to hunt one down a big classic caliber but is isn’t necessary.
Originally Posted by bluefish

Hadn't thought of using that word before, but don't disagree.

Went on a safari in Tanzania in 2011. One of my companions was primarily hunting elephant, and so carried a .458 Lott with one of the modern, flat-nosed, monolithic solids. Due to being after an elephant, he didn't have any expanding bullets along--but he and his PH ran into a very big buffalo along the way. My friend shot it, very well (he'd hunted buffalo quite a bit), and then they tracked it around for a while in 100+ degree heat. He shot the buffalo again, after catching up with it again more than once, before it finally gave up the ghost.

Have seen variations on that theme with buffalo and various "modern" solids several times, in calibers above .40. When a modern expanding bullet will penetrate 6+ feet, and do far more damage, why use solids?
You forgot to tell us exactly where those bullets landed on the late, lamented buff.
Posted By: szihn Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/15/22
Yes.

Use a good bullet.

That's being charitable. wink
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
But even "real" solids, such as many of today's monolithics, don't kill buffalo nearly as well as today's many excellent expanding bullets.

If a guy was only going to learn one thing about buffalo bullets; that would be the one thing. Solids are pathetic.

I have always thought that some of the Buffalo's toughness reputation came from using solids.

After growing up shooting rabbits and squirrels with both solids and hollow points out my 22 rimfires, I did not even consider solids when I went after buffalo.

In my initial conversations with the PH I asked what cartridge, 375 or 404 Jeffery since I had both? 404 Jeffery
What bullets? He simply stated Barnes TSX or A-Frame, whichever shoots best. Barnes 400gr TSX

Example of one, a single shot at 40 yards. Buffalo went less than 100 yards and tipped over. No muss, no fuss
I have always thought that some of the Buffalo's toughness reputation came from using solids.

I think that's where the buffalo got it's reputation for turning bullet proof after the first shot came from, guys with a soft in the pipe and a magazine full of solids. After they use the only cartridge in their rifle worth shooting; they'd rather ascribe super powers to the animal instead of taking a critical look at their cartridge belt. wink

Having said that; buffalo can sure soak up a lot of lead.
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/16/22
Yes they can.

But then so can a squirrel when hitting them with rimfire solids. The fragmenting CCI rimfire ammo is deadly on squirrels.

Have had similar results using field points on arrows when small game hunting. NNow I prefer to use broadheads or properly designed small
game heads .

If or when I go back for buffalo, I will be taking a 416 Remington with 350gr TSX.

Yup. Many PHs want your follow up shot to inflict the most amount of damage and don't necessarily want their clients shoot solids on buff.

The irony of course is that some PHs prefer solids for giraffe as they (and not buff) are considered "thick skinned" game.

But yes, get you some Federal A Frame ammo or load some A Frames up and you'd be more than prepared for a buff. And the loads need not be screaming even with an 18" barrel.

Good luck!

ps Going to Zim in October for PG & buff with a bow.
You should be more concerned with hearing protection as your going to need plugs and muffs as well as eye protection to shield your eyes from that muzzle blast. I just can’t even imagine an 18” barrel on a 375.
I have one 375 with a 20" barrel and others with 23" or 24" barrels. I have never noticed any difference in muzzle blast or how loud it is. While there may be some difference with an 18" barrel, it is doubtful it would be ear splitting.
Posted By: RinB Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/17/22

Poorly hit buffalo need multiple follow-up shots. Well hit buffalo die very quickly with a single 375-270 TSX. My last 8 buffalo went an average of 30-35 paces after being hit precisely with that load.

The size of the target to kill decisively is much smaller than the size of the target which is pictured in books and which will result in death eventually. A shot in the “heart lung area” isn’t the target I am talking about. My preferred target is about the size of a softball or a large orange. It isn’t even the size of a basketball which is what most illustrations imply.

“Bigger & heavier” results in poorer shooting excepting 24 CF participants, of course.

So, the question really is “Are you enough of a marksman to hit a softball under the expected conditions?”
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/17/22
Thinking so....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot might have been a touch low. grin
Originally Posted by MS9x56
You should be more concerned with hearing protection as your going to need plugs and muffs as well as eye protection to shield your eyes from that muzzle blast. I just can’t even imagine an 18” barrel on a 375.

21" is not so bad, in fact, seems pretty ideal to me.

DF
Posted By: 163bc Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/18/22
My 375H&H has worked fine on the 4 buffalo I've used it on. The 1st shot is the most important and as others have stated bullet placement is the key. Put a good bullet where its supposed to go and the 375 H&H will work fine. I prefer either the 270 or 300 grain TSX bullets.
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/18/22
Funny how shot placement trumps. crazy

I took my 375 as back up to my 404. PH wanted 300gr Barnes or A-frames in that one vs a 270gr TSX. Whichever one shot the best. 300gr Barnes TSX it was.

Did end up using the 375 on Impala, Sable, Hartebeest, Zebra and Roan. Worked just fine.

I think a 270gr TSX would work fantastic also and would have no issues using them on Buffalo. I have a good load all worked up for the 270's and they will become my go to bullet in the 375 once I finish shooting up the 300gr bullets.
Posted By: RinB Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/18/22

I used the 270 TSX for two reasons. 1. Barnes bullet work better with more velocity ( the expansion cavity in the 270 and 300 is the same size ). 2. The 270’s are much less likely to fully penetrate on a broadside shot. The 300’s can and do go on to wound a second animal.

Many PH’s really don’t know as much about bullets and such as the folks who hang out here. I would tell him whatever he wants to hear but use the 270’s!
Posted By: 163bc Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by RinB

Many PH’s really don’t know as much about bullets and such as the folks who hang out here. I would tell him whatever he wants to hear but use the 270’s!

good advice here
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/18/22

I seriously thought about it, but went with 300's. After a couple fireside chats, he would have been ok with 270's.
Shot my first buffalo, a very big-bodied Botswana bull, 20 years ago with a 300-grain Combined Technology Fail Safe (very similar to a 300 TSX) from a Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H. It was one of two mature bulls trailing a herd of around 250, and my PH (the very experienced Russell Tarr) whispered to damn sure wait until the bulls separated, so there was no chance the bullet might hit both. I waited, and the FS (which was much like the TSX in construction) not only exited the bull, but left an exit hole the size of my fist.

If we'd been hunting in thicker "cover," it very well might have gone through and hit another buffalo. Which is exactly what happened when my friend Brian Pearce used solids from a .45-70 to kill a bull a couple years later. The bullet exited and hit an unseen cow behind the bull--luckily hitting the "right" place and killing the cow. Not all exits are so lucky.
285 Norma Oryx out of a 9.3X74R kill buffalo well if the shooter does his part.
I don't have much experience with shooting buffalo, so take the following for what it's worth: The only buffalo I ever killed was a bull by himself that had a big track but not a solid boss. We tracked him not knowing his horn size, just based on the size of his track. After a while, we noticed from his tracks that he had a pronounced limp. When we finally caught up with him, we found that he was a soft boss bull, but that he was dragging a wire snare that had obviously gotten caught around his foot and it was infected and swollen. The game scout asked us to shoot it since we did not want it for a trophy. Prior to catching up with him, my PH had asked me to get rid of the soft and load all solids. Not sure what his reasoning was, but in the quick tracking pursuit, I didn't think it prudent to question him. I took the 400 gr. A-frame from the chamber and replaced it with the 370gr Northfork solid and loaded the magazine with just solids. When I shot the buffalo, he went about 20 steps and fell over dead, one shot. The shot was through the shoulder and hit the lungs. Not sure if it also took the heart out or not. The only reason I know it hit the lungs was the bubbles forming on the entrance hole when we walked up to him. But, in this one instance, I was mightily impressed by the performance of the solid in killing the buff so quickly. This was with my M70 in 416 Rem Mag and the shot was at about 60 yards.

I'm not doubting others opinions here that say that soft points are the way to go and I'm in agreement with those sentiments. However, I'm just relating that sometimes solids can work as well.
I suspect they have always worked. In buffalo terms.i further suspect.they were particularly useful when breaking down said bovine. Imagine a 300 grain solid hammering you through the shoulders at 2400 fps. I suspect if.it did not put you down, the shards of bone it blew throughout your thoracic cavity would have I. Short.order. I bet someone who says they dont work has never seen them used.
I suspect they have always worked. In buffalo terms.i further suspect.they were particularly useful when breaking down said bovine. Imagine a 300 grain solid hammering you through the shoulders at 2400 fps. I suspect if.it did not put you down, the shards of bone it blew throughout your thoracic cavity would have I. Short.order. I bet someone who says they dont work has never seen them used.

I'll take that bet.

I've killed buffalo on three continents. Most in a day was 28 which I've done twice. Most without moving my feet was fourteen. Most in a week was 111. Best combined day (Three shooters) was 81.

What do I win? Never mind, you wouldn't pay up anyway. wink

I'll take that bet.

I've killed buffalo on three continents. Most in a day was 28 which I've done twice. Most without moving my feet was fourteen. Most in a week was 111. Best combined day (Three shooters) was 81.

That is meaningful experience.

What is your preferred rifle, cartridge, bullet, and shot placement?
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/19/22

Yes please!
enough already....

I'll take that bet.

So, are you saying the old hands were wrong when they used solids on buffalo? Various writings suggest expanding bullets 80-90 years ago were not as reliable as they are today so many used solids to great effect. I am not deriding premium controlled expansion bullets, but I cannot imagine a solid is "pathetic" as another member described them.

A wide flat point mono solid is very effective in my experience shooting them out of big bore revolvers .475 & .50 caliber. L like up 80% meplat of bullet diameter
Originally Posted by CRS

I took my 375 as back up to my 404. PH wanted 300gr Barnes or A-frames in that one vs a 270gr TSX. Whichever one shot the best. 300gr Barnes TSX it was.

Did end up using the 375 on Impala, Sable, Hartebeest, Zebra and Roan. Worked just fine.

I think a 270gr TSX would work fantastic also and would have no issues using them on Buffalo. I have a good load all worked up for the 270's and they will become my go to bullet in the 375 once I finish shooting up the 300gr bullets.

Seems the 270 TSX would be on the short list, maybe at the top of the list of most often referenced .375 H&H bullets. So, that one must be doing something right.

DF

I'll take that bet.

So, are you saying the old hands were wrong when they used solids on buffalo? Various writings suggest expanding bullets 80-90 years ago were not as reliable as they are today so many used solids to great effect. I am not deriding premium controlled expansion bullets, but I cannot imagine a solid is "pathetic" as another member described them.

If you could just take the tarp off the time-machine and go back to then it might matter. Seriously; I'd pay big money for a ride. smile I'd easily agree that a solid is better than a crap soft, but why would a thinking person use the junk?

If anyone cares, the A-Frame is about as good as it gets.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by CRS

Seems the 270 TSX would be on the short list, maybe at the top of the list of most often referenced .375 H&H bullets. So, that one must be doing something right.

DF

I used those (and the 300s) until I tried A-frames and found out what a real buffalo bullet was.
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I'll take that bet.

I killed more with a hot loaded .458 Win M70 than anything else, but have used the 375, 416 Rigby, 450 NE, 300 RUM and 30-06. Used A-frames, Woodleighs, TSXs, Partitions, CEBs, Hornadys, and even a few Accubonds. Favorite is the A-frame by far. The Hornadys I used in the 450 NE Factory loads were junk but are discontinued now. CEBs (Safari raptors) are junk because they break in 7 pieces if they touch a twig. You may get to pick your first shot, but if follow up shots involve shooting through brush you might as well throw snowballs. The rest are pretty good.
M70Guy, good info. I appreciate your insight and opinions on which bullets seemed to work best for you. By the way, I agree with you on the A-frames, not that I have the experience to back that, but just on repeated recommendations of those that have the experience.

I would love to hear more about your experience with the 300 RUM and 30-06 on buff and what bullets you were using at the time and how they performed. Just out of curiosity.
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/20/22
Model 70 guy,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I'll take that bet.

I killed more with a hot loaded .458 Win M70 than anything else, but have used the 375, 416 Rigby, 450 NE, 300 RUM and 30-06. Used A-frames, Woodleighs, TSXs, Partitions, CEBs, Hornadys, and even a few Accubonds. Favorite is the A-frame by far. The Hornadys I used in the 450 NE Factory loads were junk but are discontinued now. CEBs (Safari raptors) are junk because they break in 7 pieces if they touch a twig. You may get to pick your first shot, but if follow up shots involve shooting through brush you might as well throw snowballs. The rest are pretty good.

I've heard that the CEB can frag if it hits something before hitting the critter.

Loading my bud's .416 Rem, I found that the 400 NPT and the 400 SAF were both very accurate, solids less so. I was using 4064 per Swift info, reportedly their choice for factory ammo.

Thanks for your input.

DF
Originally Posted by Kudu40
I recently bought a Sako .375 H&H on a great deal. I didn't even consider the barrel length at the time. Measuring from the front of the action, it is just over18 inches. Do you think this barrel length will give me adequate velocity to be reliable for Cape Buffalo?
Thanks,

Kudu40

Absolutely, i have three loads for buffalo for my pre-64 375, 270gr TSX, 300gr partition and 300gr BBW #13 solids, that said, and going down in velocity, the 375 Flanged Magnum has been getting it all done for over 100 years, it's a cartridge i'll buy when i'm too old to carry and shoot the big Nitro guns, a 75 year old me would have no issue shooting a Cape Buffalo with a 300gr A Frame at 2400 fps, your rig may be faster than that.
One of the most interesting conversations I've had in Africa about buffalo bullets took place on my first safari, a plains game hunt in RSA in the early 1990s--though there was an outside possibility of arranging a cancellation buffalo hunt in Botswana if the timing worked.

It didn't, but the owner of the safari company in RSA was John Van Der Meulen, who grew up in what was then Rhodesia back when the country was more involved with killing off wild game to help cattle ranching. Like many back then, John did a lot of "control" work on ranches, killing over 1000 buffalo. This was in the 1950s, and his favorite tool for the job was his .458 Winchester Magnum, using their then "solid," which had a gilding-metal jacket. This bullet was highly criticized by some, including Jack O'Connor, because the jacket was so soft the bullets often "riveted"--but that's the reason John liked them: They mushroomed on typical lung shots, and killed quickly. (By the way, he was still using the same .458 for backup on buffalo hunts when I met him, at that time mostly in Tanzania, where he also PH'd. It had the same early Bushnell 2.5x scope he'd mounted back in the 50s--which still worked fine.)

Then there's my old friend Kevin Thomas, the PH I've hunted most with, who's younger than John. He started as a Rhodesian game department ranger at age 17--and eventually, like John, also did a lot of control work on ranches. He killed over 500 buffalo on "control" on a big ranch, where the black workers drove herds by him. Kevin used the .30-06 with handloaded 180-grain Partitions, back when they were lathe-turned with the "relief groove," and says he never had problem, even with mature bulls on frontal chest shots.

Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/21/22
Favorite is the A-frame by far.

I really wanted to try some 350gr A-Frames in my 416, but they have been pretty much unobtanium. When they become available again I will certainly give them a go.
Interesting, good stuff Mule Deer, Thanks for the history lesson.
Our dear and departed friend Allen Day, cleanly dispatched a buffalo with one shot out of his 300 Winchester Mag with 180 (I don't remember, but it was either Partitions or A FRames) because his 458 had gone tits up with a broken extractor (I think). The kill is shown on one of Mark Sullivan's videos.
Jorge,
Allen used factory WW Fail Safe 180gr ammo to kill that buffalo. His 458 had some trigger issues develop during that hunt.
Originally Posted by CRS
Favorite is the A-frame by far.

I really wanted to try some 350gr A-Frames in my 416, but they have been pretty much unobtanium. When they become available again I will certainly give them a go.

The only bullet I think is at least as good as the A-Frames are the North Fork Premium Bonded line. I have had very good luck with those bullets.

Also like their Cup Point Solids for buffalo. The quickest kill I ever had in a buffalo was with one. Shot it through the shoulder with a 470 Nitro at about 15 yards, never took a step, DRT. The most shots I ever required on buff were with the Cup Points also, but that is another story.
Posted By: CRS Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/23/22
I wanted to be all in on North Forks. Then the business was sold and moved out of Wyoming to the west coast, then production ceased again and the company moved out of country. Too much uncertainty for me. Great product though.
I heard NF went bankrupt a while back, but their site was up. It is different with several international contacts.

I have quite a few, but with Swift and others it is certain we will not die because of our bullet choice. smile
As an aside...MD mentioned his good friend, and PH Kevin Thomas. I just completed reading Kevin Thomas's book, SHADOWS IN AN AFRICAN TWILIGHT. The book was a good read, enjoyable and informative.
Glad you liked it!

Kevin published a book on Cape buffalo, titled THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BUFFALO. It's not just by him, but also contains a number of chapters by other PHs, along with some a few safari hunters. (I contributed a chapter on the American perspective, but there are quite a few others.) It's a very good look at buffalo hunting during the last few decades, and I highly recommend it as well. Have probably reread it myself 3-4 times.

https://www.kevindthomas.com/
Posted By: RinB Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/24/22

John,
The link goes to a photographer.
R
Originally Posted by RinB

John,
The link goes to a photographer.
R

Here you go, the buffalo book is by Kevin D. Thomas:

https://www.kevindthomas.com/

Glad you liked it!

Kevin published a book on Cape buffalo, titled THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT BUFFALO. It's not just by him, but also contains a number of chapters by other PHs, along with some a few safari hunters. (I contributed a chapter on the American perspective, but there are quite a few others.) It's a very good look at buffalo hunting during the last few decades, and I highly recommend it as well. Have probably reread it myself 3-4 times.

www.kevinthomas.com

I have two stories in that book as well.
Thanks, Rick, I corrected it.
Mike,

Just looked at the book again. Good stories--and congratulations on the big one!

John
John,

Thanks, that big buffalo was a once in ten life time trophies. Good hunt too.

You wrote about the Okavango Delta. My first safari was to Tanzania in 2008. I wanted to hunt the Okavanga after that hunt but put it off while hunting in Zimbabwe in 2009 and 2010. Then they shutdown the hunting. That is one of my few hunting regrets.
Mike,

I understand your regret.

Might have to rate my Okavango hunt as my best safari, not because of the trophies taken, but just being in such a wild part of Africa.

I usually try to combine any hunting safari with at least several days of touring, especially private or national game parks. But hunting the Okavango was like being in a part of "old Africa," due to the abundance and diversity of everything, from trees to birds to big game of all kinds. It felt like humans were only minor visitors, which is why it made me feel so alive. The only other place I've felt quite like that was on a horse-back hunt in northern British Columbia--but B.C. didn't have the incredible variety in plants and animals found in the Okavango.
Posted By: EdM Re: Is my 375 enough for buffalo - 01/25/22
John,

Those were my hopes with my hunt booked in Burkina Faso before the camp was torched. Very disappointed.
© 24hourcampfire