Home
Posted By: grayfox African trophy exports - 02/01/23
African trophy exports,,, anyone use this company for shipment of trophies back to the United States. What's your impression, how did you pay them? Wire money or credit card
Posted By: AB2506 Re: African trophy exports - 02/02/23
No.

My taxidermist did the export/import in 2014. His sister quit and she did that part of the business.

In 2019 I used AHG Trophy Shipping. They exported and shipped. I did the import myself.
Posted By: Bwana338 Re: African trophy exports - 02/02/23
What i have found.

Everyone has their hands out.

Have you talked to your taxidermist to see if they have someone that they use to combine customers shipments for the best price.

I know my taxidermist have places to take your raw trophies to for the dip and pack plus the shipping. It helps to reduce the costs. There are different importers and ask your taxidermist who they recommend.

Shipping is expensive, and mot want kick backs to get your business.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: African trophy exports - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by AB2506
No.

In 2019 I used AHG Trophy Shipping. They exported and shipped. I did the import myself.

AHG is a division of African Hunting Gazette. The owner, Richard Lendrum, operates the business on the basis of searching out the best deal for shipping from the taxidermist to my city, Calgary Alberta. I do the importing myself.
Posted By: M3taco Re: African trophy exports - 02/09/23
As a generalization, the taxidermist your items are taken to for processing, either just dip/pack & ship or whatever level of work you want done there, have shippers they commonly use to get your items to the US port of entry. Unless you know are aware of and want to use a specific Africa to US shipping agent, it's likely just a good idea to use the agents the taxidermist is familiar with.

There are several US based receiving companies that will clear your items thru US Customs and USF&W and then hire/coordinate the US based shipping/freight forwarding company from the port of entry to your location. Two of these are Coppersmith Global Logistics and Flora & Fauna and the Wildlife Gallery if you have your final taxidermy work done with them.

Yes, it does seem as Bawana338 said, it is is pretty common that the majority of ALL business that I've had experiences with in RSA, Namibia and Botswana provide some level of extra payments back to the referring business. Seems 10% or less is the normal amount.

On the flip side of that, is it really that much different than US companies/businesses that offer referral/finders fees or promos of referring a friend and get a discount on your bill etc. Not trying or intending to support/justify any of it. It is just what it is.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
My dip and pack services were provided by my safari operator (Royal Safaris, Ltd. in Arusha, TZ). I used Safari Specialties Importers to ship and clear my trophies through customs and ship to my taxidermist. Pretty simple, but a bit pricier than anticipated - though I had a lot of animals to transport.
Posted By: jdollar Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
Bottom line is everyone has their hand out and wants a pound of flesh. It will cost about half the actual safari costs to get trophies back- and that’s before you pay the taxidermist. By the time you pay everyone, you will greatly exceed the cost of the hunt. Learned that lesson long ago and quit bringing things home. …
Originally Posted by jdollar
Bottom line is everyone has their hand out and wants a pound of flesh. It will cost about half the actual safari costs to get trophies back- and that’s before you pay the taxidermist. By the time you pay everyone, you will greatly exceed the cost of the hunt. Learned that lesson long ago and quit bringing things home. …
When you go hunt there now, are you still hunting/paying trophy animals or just doing cull hunts?

I do the same. Lots of photos. Bob
Posted By: AB2506 Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
No.

AHG is a division of African Hunting Gazette. The owner, Richard Lendrum, operates the business on the basis of searching out the best deal for shipping from the taxidermist to my city, Calgary Alberta. I do the importing myself.

Very disappointing to learn from my outfitter that AHG Trophy Shipping now wants the hunter to only their taxidermist.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
No.

Very disappointing to learn from my outfitter that AHG Trophy Shipping now wants the hunter to only use the AHG taxidermist.
Posted By: chas05 Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
No more for heads anymore

I invested in a decent DSLR for my last trip
Posted By: jdollar Re: African trophy exports - 02/14/23
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
When you go hunt there now, are you still hunting/paying trophy animals or just doing cull hunts?

I still trophy hunt but I tell the PH that I just want representative animals, not necessarily the biggest around. He can save those for people after the biggest they can find. Works out just fine.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: African trophy exports - 02/18/23
I’ve emailed them twice in the last 3 weeks with questions about an upcoming trip. Not a peep! Getting agitated! Messaged Badger Cargo and had return emails within the hour.

Roy
Posted By: BulletBud Re: African trophy exports - 02/26/23
After my first 4 safaris to Namibia, I had pretty much exhausted the wall space for trophies at our home. On my last two Namibian hunts, I had my PH take lots of trophy pictures with my IPHONE. I then emailed the photos to the Costco photo labs, where they produce professional quality 14”X 10” enlargements encased in acrylic with a mounting bracket on the back. Cost per print is about $40 each and the wait time is 10-14 days.
Posted By: jdollar Re: African trophy exports - 02/26/23
Absolutely the best way to go. I filled up my wall/floor space after the first 5-6 safaris. After that filled the smaller wall space with metallic prints. Saved more than enough for another 5+ safaris…..
Posted By: Puddle Re: African trophy exports - 02/26/23
The only remaining mount I'm willing to splurge for is a truly impressive Sable. Everything else these days are photos.

My brother thinks I'm nuts, but then he's never dealt with getting horns back from across the pond.
Posted By: muygrande1 Re: African trophy exports - 02/28/23
Money AND TIME! Will not even try to add up what I paid and to how many sets of HANDS to get my TWO trophy back to my taxidermist. It will be about two years from hunt date and arrival at my house for an eland and a zebra - yes a failed leopard hunt. Oh and the 300.00 dollar zebra pillows. Trophy mordida has become a total joke.
Posted By: kfreeze Re: African trophy exports - 02/28/23
I just got 6 trophies back from Namibia about a month ago. We use Pronto global air freight, and D&L out of Chicago I think. We paid by wire transfer and CC. And just for your knowledge, it cost $3300 to get my stuff to Chicago and $1100 from there, through customs and waiting storage to a loading dock close to my house. I had shoulder mount of kudu, oryx, blue wildebeast, impala and springbok and a skull mount of a warthog shipped back in a crate about 4'×6'×3'. Hope that helps. Glad you were able to get over there!
Posted By: boatammo Re: African trophy exports - 03/13/23
I used Coppersmiths both times and everything was smooth.
Posted By: Hydehunter Re: African trophy exports - 03/30/23
and what do you do about the 17% vat tax?
RSA East Cape Safari here, AWA African Wildlife Artistry Seems to have it under control. There are no really good African taxidermists locally...and AWAs work was impressive after a tour of their shop I decided to let them do the mounts. Will update when i have all 4 Springbok, Impala, Blesbok and Red Lechwe plus several flat hides in hand.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: African trophy exports - 12/21/23
Having shipped a lot of stuff from Africa, I can report that dipping, packing, and shipping is just another revenue source for operators and shippers. You can do it yourself - make all the transportation, packing, vet clearances, permits, and shipping arrangements, but it can take days to arrange all that and that's assuming you know how to get all that done. So, if you are not doing it regularly, you're going to spend way too much having your outfitter and/or taxidermist do it all for you. It's just another unspoken and often overlook expense of a hunt. So yes, it can be pretty shocking.

Depending on the country of origin, you can shop for the best deal "before" your hunt. Contact shippers (Google) and see what you can negotiate. But most folks don't want to bother with it.
Posted By: 69sportfury Re: African trophy exports - 12/21/23
Agree with the majority, I've been over three times in the last half dozen years and it was expensive 6 years ago to bring anything back and prices have doubled since than.

Africa has gotten pretty greedy with their permits/fees/shipping prices. Truly wonder how much it actually costs vs what you're billed?

Have no plans to go again, but if do it will be a cull hunt and only pics taken and brought back.
Posted By: jetjockey Re: African trophy exports - 12/21/23
Just got my bill for shipping from Lusaka, Zambia to the importer here in the US. 5 animals, not yet mounted, $3500. They said they won’t even include vasoline. Ouch.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: African trophy exports - 12/22/23
That is not too bad. Shipping them could be 1/3-1/2 of he cost.
Posted By: jdollar Re: African trophy exports - 12/22/23
Yes but that’s before a $4-5 k on taxidermy…
Posted By: JGRaider Re: African trophy exports - 12/23/23

and 6-8 Covtard boosters, huh jdollar, you freaking joke? You still scared schitttless to go anywhere without your mask?
Posted By: jetjockey Re: African trophy exports - 12/23/23
$12k for taxidermy where I’m going. 😭😭😭
Posted By: wesheltonj Re: African trophy exports - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Just got my bill for shipping from Lusaka, Zambia to the importer here in the US. 5 animals, not yet mounted, $3500. They said they won’t even include vasoline. Ouch.

Did Borman do your dip, pack and shipping? If, so how were they shipped back to the USA - Qatar or Turkish?
Posted By: jdollar Re: African trophy exports - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider

and 6-8 Covtard boosters, huh jdollar, you freaking joke? You still scared schitttless to go anywhere without your mask?
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[quote=jdollar]Yes but that’s before a $4-5 k on taxidermy…

True to form from my online stalker. Some things never change. Thanks for your valuable contribution…..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: African trophy exports - 12/23/23
And thanks to you for continuing to show the world that you're a complete fraud, dumbass, and coward....

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
[/quote]
Posted By: jetjockey Re: African trophy exports - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Originally Posted by jetjockey

Did Borman do your dip, pack and shipping? If, so how were they shipped back to the USA - Qatar or Turkish?

Not sure exactly. I believe it was done by my PH. Shipping slip says Qatar.
Posted By: pete53 Re: African trophy exports - 01/31/24
anyone bring their capes back and sell them ?
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: African trophy exports - 01/31/24
By the time you pay for transport, tanning, shipping there is not much margin left to make it profitable.
© 24hourcampfire