Home
Posted By: hatari African Beer - 09/12/07
For some reason, cold beer tastes exceptionally fine after a long day in the veldt. For those of you that enjoy a good brew, what is your favorite? I'll rank them in this order:

Castle - The standard for me

Kilimanjaro- Would buy it and drink it at home were it available
Windhoek-German influence noted
Tusker- Fuller flavor than Kilimanjaro
Lion Lager-Tasty RSA beer
33 Export-Mediocre French brew. They make better,but true to their nature, keep it at home.
Mamba-Colt 45, Africa style
Posted By: Gun_Nerd Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
Tafel Lager (from Swakopmund) capped off most of my days. The closest I've found to it here is Yuengling.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
Castle
Tusker
Lion

jorge
Posted By: safariman Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
Lion Lager, but as cold as we can get it!! smile Maybe because this is what was in the cooler last September after tracking Lion in 120 degree heat with mopane flies by the millions trying to torture us to death. I cannot remeber any beverage tasting better. I remember getting the GPS reading to the Landcruiser and calculating how many yards / steps it was back to the truck and announcing out loud each 100 step increment to keep everyone focused on the goal. Got TOO far away in TOO hot of weather becase we were TOO excited and focused on the Lion.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: African Beer - 09/12/07

I liked Tafel too; trying to figure out how to get it here.

Gdv
Posted By: hikerbum Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
I have had Windhoek lager, and Tafel.

Windhoek was very nice
Posted By: martinbns Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
Castle is very good, i also have tried Tusker and was less impressed.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: African Beer - 09/12/07
I've only tried Castle and Windhoek. I liked both, however if I had to pick one it would be Castle.

Mike
Posted By: BigUglyMan Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
A nice cold Castle was much appreciated during my hunt.
Posted By: Savuti Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
For sipping poolside, Lion Lager.
For rapidly quenching a 30 klick thirst, Zambezi.

SOS
Posted By: superhornet Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
JorgeI---CDR if you drink all that beer, how you gonna see the ball or trap #3 wire ? MCPO
Posted By: jorgeI Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
Howdy Master Chief... wellwith all that beer I'll be able to "see" EIGHT wires instead of the usual four, so I figure it doubles my chances of not getting another "bolter" smile jorge
Posted By: Roscoe Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
Black Label
Posted By: Mississippi Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
Castle
Castle Lite
Windhoek

BTW can we get any of those over here????
Posted By: jorgeI Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
Yes you can. The African Hut (they have a website) can deliver a case (24) of Castle beer for 73 bucks (CA to FL). That's about 3 bucks/bottle. ALso some of the big liquor discounters can order it direct. jorge
Posted By: Model70Guy Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
Here's beer delivery day on a Zim ranch. Being a teetotaller I didn't try any, but it looked like something you'd have to strain through your teeth. Basically liquid bread.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: muledeer Re: African Beer - 09/13/07
The only good beer I had in RSA was at a brewpub on top of Long Tom Pass. It was outstanding.

I drank Windhoek, as the best I could find in NW South Africa and Moz, but it wasn't anything to write home about. But then I'm not a big fan of lagers and pilseners.

Was mighty good to get back to Alaska Summer Ale and IPA grin.

DN
Posted By: wyattd Re: African Beer - 09/14/07
It's hard for me to find a beer that I can not appreciate. Any beer that I'm in Africa to drink and enjoy at the end of a hunting day is a damn good beer!!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: African Beer - 09/14/07
Tusker

Then all others IMO...
Many taste like what I pizzed the evening before. eek
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: African Beer - 09/14/07
I have rarely found a beer that was totally unpalatable, and generally any of the African beers is real good at the end of a hot day. But none that I have tasted compared to the average Czech or German beer, or the better microbrews here.

As Col Cooper once noted, they make some truly great wines in South Africa, but only make good beers.

JB
Posted By: Royce Re: African Beer - 09/15/07
Warm Black Label beer- If that was the only beer ever available, I might have reformed my callous ways- that stuff was to beer what Rosie O'donnell is to lap dancing
Posted By: SamOlson Re: African Beer - 09/15/07
Originally Posted by Royce
Warm Black Label beer-that stuff was to beer what Rosie O'donnell is to lap dancing

LOL!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: African Beer - 09/15/07
Originally Posted by Royce
Warm Black Label beer- If that was the only beer ever available, I might have reformed my callous ways- that stuff was to beer what Rosie O'donnell is to lap dancing

$$$##^^!!!####&^$!!!
Because of you I'm wiping Sam Adams off the monitor and dumping it out of the keyboard...%%###%!!

wink grin
Posted By: jorgeI Re: African Beer - 09/15/07
add morning coffee all over my laptop (via nose). smile jorge
Posted By: HunterJim Re: African Beer - 09/15/07
I like Zambezi in Zim, and Castle is OK too.

If you are in RSA, definitely drink some pinotage, it is an excellent local red wine. SAA used to pour it on their flights, but I don't know if they still do.

jim
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: African Beer - 09/16/07
Jim,

I am well acquianted with pinotage--slightly too well acquainted on occasion!

JB
Posted By: hatari Re: African Beer - 09/17/07
JB,

South Africa is known for Shiraz, Pinotage, and Sauvignon Blanc. If you are a fan of big Cabs, then you might be disappointed, the terrior just isn't right.
Hamilton Russell makes a very nice Chardonnay that you can find in the states. I bought some at Duty Free on a return flight more than a dozen years ago, and have been a fan ever since.

If you're a fan of beer with a Teutonic heritage, then I'll point you toward Augustiner Brau form Salzburg, Austria. It is worth the trip just to sit in the beer garden and sip this nectar poured straight from the barrel. Wow!
© 24hourcampfire