Home
Posted By: Oldcoyote Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
I miss his posts.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
He's probably hunting! wink
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
Yeah, I think he's on safari right now.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
If so, it's a heck of a long safari. I don't think he took that much ammo. smile
Posted By: Popapi Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote
I miss his posts.
Me to that is the first guy here who gave me SOLID advice on building a custom rifle I sure do miss him posting as well BIG TIME very enlighten Guy!!!!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
Well the Africa Forum is certainly a lesser place without him, but thenagain, how much abuse can a man take and to what end? I consider him a friend and I miss him. He's gone totally "dark." jorge
Posted By: Timberline Re: Where is Allen Day? - 07/31/08
Another vote for AD. In my opinion, his were routinely excellent, logical, helpful and experience-based posts. This forum is not nearly as good without his input.

Come back Allen.
Posted By: muygrande1 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
I too believe him to be "on safari". Hope he comes back with more love for the 338-06 although for sure he took his beloved 338 win mag! smile
Posted By: olhippie Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
....Allen is a very knowledgeable and expierenced hunter who's well spoken communications on hunting and firearms certainly adds to any forum such as our Campfire. I hope he is enjoying good health and fortune, and will return soon.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
Me too. Nice guy, and from Oregon, so there ya go! :-)
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
Allen has chossen not to post on the internet at the present time. Perhaps he will change his mind in the near future. I miss his post as well. But he said that posting was taking up too much of his time, perhaps he just got tired of the BS.
Posted By: g5m Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
He's missed.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
Originally Posted by jwp475
Allen has chossen not to post on the internet at the present time. Perhaps he will change his mind in the near future. I miss his post as well. But he said that posting was taking up too much of his time, perhaps he just got tired of the BS.

that's a bummer but it do happen. I hope it wasn't the BS that chased him off -- there is a "silent majority" that looked forward to his opinion.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
I miss his insightful posts also.
Posted By: xp100 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/01/08
I also miss his posting.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
I miss his posts on all the forums, not just the African. I didn't always believe everything he said, but at least he was well-reasoned enough that he would get me thinking even if I did disagree with him.
Posted By: BMT Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
The Problem with AD was that he had very strong opinions based upon years and years of successful hunting.

That is a bad combination for the internet where guys just have to have a keyboard to be an "expert."

I miss his posts too.

But, I don't miss being jealous of his safaris . . . . . . sick wink

BMT
Posted By: Stetson Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
What a loss for this forum. AD spent some time on the phone with me when I had a ton of questions and he was always willing to offerr solid advice from his experience.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
Allen had a ton of relevant experience there's no doubt about that, but he had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Anybody else notice MuleDeer's very thinly veiled reference to Allen Day in his Rifles & Woodsmoke column entitled "Sentiment" in Rifle #239? I'll eat my hat if paragraphs 2-4 aren't Allen Day.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
AD has lots of experience and knowledge, but his opinions were never even sorta maybe restricted to just that. Indeed the cover a much much broader base and with more arrogance than his experiences dictates reasonable.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
I found the last Allen Day post on another forum dated 2-17-2008.

The post was well done and typical of Allen as he touted his like for the M70. Thats all there was to it. I read nothing there that would indicate a reason for not posting more.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
Too bad Allen no longer posts here, but neither posts above reflect my experiences with him. I don't have, nor would I own an Echols rifle (or afford), and Allen does like is Partitions and A Frames, but he did shoot and experiment with a lot of other bullets & rifles. Opinions are based on experiences and he does indeed have a lot of that, so when he spoke I listened, and he never steered me wrong. He is a good friend but we didn't agree on everything. jorge
Posted By: RickBin Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
Last post from Allen was 5/1/08 here.

The man spoke from his experience, which was significant. I didn't agree with everything he wrote, but what he wrote was usually deserving of reflection before answering, because you new he wasn't pulling it out of his a$$. Right or wrong.

I hope he finds his way back so I can sometimes disagree with him some more. grin
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Too bad Allen no longer posts here

I'll agree with that. I enjoyed reading his posts and even posted pictures for him once when he didn't have a host to upload them too. Still, he was set in his ways and did come across as bit arrogant on his equipment choices.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
Originally Posted by jds44
Anybody else notice MuleDeer's very thinly veiled reference to Allen Day in his Rifles & Woodsmoke column entitled "Sentiment" in Rifle #239? I'll eat my hat if paragraphs 2-4 aren't Allen Day.

Oh yeah, I noticed it. "Thinly veiled" might be overstating the case.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
I sure would like to see it. Any chance of a scan or PM? jorge
Posted By: 340boy Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/21/08
I always enjoyed reading Allen's posts at the Fire.

I hope all is well with him and that he comes back soon...
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Allen and I had our fair share of differences. We had a lot of off line debates, and never saw everything the same even though we both have a lot of experience in the same areas.

One interesting thing about Allen and I, we saw more the same then we differed on. During a heated debate on line a few years ago we made a few posts through PM's. After a few back and forth posts we found that we agreed on about 90% and what we did not agree on was about 10%. It's funny how people tend to blow off the majority they agree on and strongly debate the little trivial issues.

As it turned out we actually agreed upon much more then 90%. It was this format style, and the differences in small things that influenced our opinions. Allen was a great resource to use for me as a "balance check" If I saw, or experienced something and wanted another opinion that I could trust,..... Allen could provide that for me. And if he said it was so, that opinion came from his heart and his expereince, not a refrence book, reloading manual, some writer, or magazine article.

He spoke about what he knew from significant experience, not from a once or twice eventwith big game, or from someone else's opinion. We did not agree on eveything, but his input to me on many topics was very welcome.
Posted By: hatari Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
AD has absolute confdience in what works for him. If Echols tuned Model 70 and A-frames put the game down for him everytime, then that's what he's going to tell you works. He's used it.

Someone asks "what caliber and bullet would you use for...", AD is going to tell you what works for him, with passion and authority.
We don't need to all agree. When we do, the threads are short, and thing get boring. We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

I enjoyed AD, and hope to see him back.
Posted By: okie john Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Gotta beef you here. I posted about hunting with a Cloward rifle and said that I would one day like to hunt with an Echols like AD has. AD posted back almost immediately with very kind words about my choice of riflemaker. He was truly a gentleman but he didn't suffer fools gladly. I regret that the peckerheads ran him off, and I really wish he'd come back.

Okie John
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I miss his posts too. He's a classy guy with loads of real world experience and the financial means to keep gaining more. I too hope he wanders back to the site and posts some more. I really enjoy his opinions about what works, and what doesn't. He has hunted more game, on more continents than I'll ever have the chance to. His opinions might anger some, but one has to realize that his opinions are based upon more experience than most of us will gather in a lifetime of hunting. I can handle that, and admire his ability to put himself in a position to gather those opinions.

I can also understand his absence though. These forums can take up a lot of valuable time if you let them. I myself do a lot more reading other folks postings, rather than posting myself. I like to read about what folks have to say about their hunting trips, and rifles and cartridges they like to use.

Allen if you read this, the Lord's blessing to you and yours.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
It's also possible that Allen has no issues with anyone at the Campfire.

Given today's banking situation, dead real estate and plunging property values, he could easily be trying to salvage his portfolio of properties. Trying not to betray any confidences here, that could easily be the case and I surely hope that it is not.

Personally, I own no leveraged investment properties; all of our investments are in stocks and cash instruments. If the Dow and the NASDAQ crashed like real properies have, I would be pretty scarce at the Campfire, as well. Given that scenario, Allen would opine that maybe Ol' Steve got his foot caught in a bear trap. And he would be right.

A guy has to pay attention to what supports him. And maybe Allen is doing just that. Or maybe not ... heck, I don't know.

In the end, we all wish Allen the very best that life has to offer.

Steve
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
The only problem I had with Allen was we agreed about 95% of the time. That made me worry about his judgment. smile
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I enjoyed reading Allen's posts and he actually responded to me a couple of times. Hardly anything lasts forever, but I hope things are going well for him.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Originally Posted by hatari
We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

He's here from time to time, but I have a bead on him over on the other forum. he's started to post over there again, after he was banned (by the owner for a FIFTH time). The minute he starts with the bullshit, I'll cut his nuts off again. He's pissed me off for life and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. jorge
Originally Posted by hatari
We've run off the trolls, and now things have been a little slow. Jorge has had no imposters to ferret out for months now. If this doesn't change, he'll be in a 10 step program at some Arizona spa soon.

He's here (the Troll) from time to time, but I have a bead on him over on the other forum. he's started to post over there again, after he was banned (by the owner for a FIFTH time). The minute he starts with the bullshit, I'll cut his nuts off again. He's pissed me off for life and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. jorge
Posted By: CRS Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I miss his posting also, although I do not agree with him 100%. He did make me realize that it is better to own less, but higher quality equipment.

I disagree with his $10,000 rifle or nothing mentality. That just is not reality based for most people. That makes him come off a little high brow, which really turns me off as I know plenty of wealthy people. They are just like any other group, good ones, bad ones. Money doesn't make them better, just wealthier.

As far the the Mule Deer article, I laughed out loud when I read it because I knew exactly who he was talking about.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
What did the mule deer article say?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
There was no doubt as to who MD was talking about. I laughed as well.
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I hope MD doesn't mind me posting this excerpt. Here's the paragraphs in question:

"One such rational hunter posts frequently on an Internet chat room. He claims to be so rational that he grows impatient with people who don�t follow his rationale completely. (It might be pointed out that impatience with other people�s opinions isn�t exactly rational, since we�re likely to run into this odd phenomenon more than once or twice in our lives. But that would be a cheap shot, so I won�t do it.)

It turns out his choice for the perfect hunting rifle is a model built by one particular custom gunsmith, with a custom-designed synthetic stock, top-notch barrel and controlled-round feed action (what else?) worked over into as close to perfection as possible. Even with a plastic stock, each of these rifles costs over $10,000 � and this purely practical rifleman has several.

The fact that they are all chambered for purely practical (meaning popular) cartridges really doesn�t mean this guy is purely practical. Anybody who spends that kind of money, over and over again, on rifles that don�t have beautiful walnut stocks is not thinking like a computer but more like a supermodel on a wig spree."

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Allen NEVER said it's a 10K rifle or nothing, just the best one could afford then ensure it was "combat ready" if Dangerous Game was on the menu and scoffed (and I agree) with those armchair commandos who insisted their untested rifles were just as good. If I could afford an Echols rifle, believe me I'd have a few of them and in the same PRACTICAL calibers Allen espoused. I say good for him. jorge
Posted By: Pugs Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I sure would like to see it. Any chance of a scan or PM? jorge

I'll do so.
I got it Pugs from another forumite. Thansk anyway. I just read it. I wish Allen was back. Th fireworks would be worth it! jorge
Posted By: Pugs Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Originally Posted by BFaucett
I hope MD doesn't mind me posting this excerpt. Here's the paragraphs in question:

"One such rational hunter posts frequently on an Internet chat room. He claims to be so rational that he grows impatient with people who don�t follow his rationale completely. (It might be pointed out that impatience with other people�s opinions isn�t exactly rational, since we�re likely to run into this odd phenomenon more than once or twice in our lives. But that would be a cheap shot, so I won�t do it.)

It turns out his choice for the perfect hunting rifle is a model built by one particular custom gunsmith, with a custom-designed synthetic stock, top-notch barrel and controlled-round feed action (what else?) worked over into as close to perfection as possible. Even with a plastic stock, each of these rifles costs over $10,000 � and this purely practical rifleman has several.

The fact that they are all chambered for purely practical (meaning popular) cartridges really doesn�t mean this guy is purely practical. Anybody who spends that kind of money, over and over again, on rifles that don�t have beautiful walnut stocks is not thinking like a computer but more like a supermodel on a wig spree."

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Disregard the scan. Bob captured it.
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Just my opinion but I don't think MD was talking about Allen in his article. I've seen posts on here between Allen and MD and I always got the impression that MD had a lot of respect for Allen.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Like I said earlier, if that wasn't about Allen, I'll eat my hat.

However, I don't think it was nearly as negative as it sounds on the surface. If you read the whole article titled "Sentiment", MuleDeer's point is that sentiment plays as much of a role in our rifle purchases as practicality. I think his point was from a practical standpoint, those $10k rifles could not be justified. There must be something else at play - sentiment, ie. those rifles were actually chosen as much because Allen liked them as that they were practical.

edited to add: I'm not trying to speak for JB, maybe he'll chime in at some point and give us his interpretation.
Posted By: medicman Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
I agree that sentiment plays a large part in selection. In the case of proven reliability or accuracy or comfort with a particular make, or calibre. I love the 6.5x55 swede in swedish mausers. They are accurate low pressure butte ugly rifles that I have relied on over and over and that have never let me down. They are cheap like borscht and I would buy another tomorrow if for sale at the gun show. I would not probably call the M96 or M42B practical. That he loves a particular rifle and owns numerous, I understand and applaud.

I even allow my brother the_Shootist to fixate on 30-06. And Tikka...I even bought one to keep him happy

Randy
Posted By: John55 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/22/08
Reading that article sure makes me think JB was referring to Allen.
Posted By: Steve Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/23/08
Allen NEVER said it's a 10K rifle or nothing, just the best one could afford then ensure it was "combat ready" if Dangerous Game was on the menu and scoffed (and I agree) with those armchair commandos who insisted their untested rifles were just as good. If I could afford an Echols rifle, believe me I'd have a few of them and in the same PRACTICAL calibers Allen espoused. I say good for him. jorge

+1

I've met Allen several times. He's a genuine good guy. He's never dis'ed my choices in what I take hunting. He has strong opinions, yes. But what would these forums be without some strong opinions.
Posted By: Landrum Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/24/08
I don't know Allen personally but he took the time to respond to an email I had sent him a couple of years ago. He didn't just write a couple of sentences, no, he sent a very long and detailed response that was full of helpful information.

Likewise, Jorge is a knowledgeable fellow who has been willing to help others along the way.

Landrum
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/24/08
Why thank you Landrum, but I'm not even close to the same league as Allen! jorge
Posted By: tsquare Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/24/08
I don't know Allen personally either. I have read most of his postings both here and on accuratereloading, and have had a few PM discussions with him. I even bought a very nice pre-64 Model 70 action from him through the classifieds.

In all of the comments of his that I've read, I've found very little that I could argue with him over. My take on his advice is to use the very best equipment that you can afford. I agree completely with that advice. His experience with the Accubond bullet, though much broader than mine, exactly mirrors my experience using it on one game animal. I haven't used it on anything else,nor will I. I don't need to.

He has little patience with shoddy performing equipment, and neither do I. You shouldn't either! Is he opinionated and stubborn -- I suspect that he is. But then, so am I.

I too, miss Allen's sage advice. I hope he comes back on-line. The site is better served with opinions based on experience from all sides.

Tom
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/24/08
Originally Posted by tsquare

The site is better served with opinions based on experience from all sides.

Tom

To bad politicians don't feel the need to use the same criteria...
Posted By: John55 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/25/08
I suspect Allen has his hands more than full with his business ventures these days, given the tough times banking and real estate are going through. Given that, I doubt he has any time for internet forums and the bickering and jousting that one typically encounters.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/27/08
I don't think AD was any more opinionated than the rest of us but he sure had a lot of experience to bring to the table.
Posted By: MarkG Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/27/08
Add me to the list of guys that really miss Allen Day's posts.
I got a "QUICK" introduction to Allen and the respect he commanded from others. I first encountered Allen about 10-11 years ago over on the old Outdoorlife forums. I was reading these post from this obviously over confident wack job, who talked about killing lions, and all sorts of african game, Bears, Elk, etc etc. Naturally as a twently something, I assumed him to be a poser, and called him out. BIG MISTAKE! APPARENTLY, this guy was for real. He and about 20 other people let me know it too. I had one guy who e-mailed me for days reminding me I was not $hit. Allen BLASTED me for in his words "Hiding behind a internet handle" instead of posting by my name.
I had managed to ruin my Fourm reputation be for it even started. lol
I quickly dummped the handle and shut my mouth and learned some stuff for a few years. I read almost everything he posted here and over at Accurate reloading for a Decade. If he had a fan club then I guess I was a charter member!

About 3 years ago I got to see the real side of Allen. He helped me with every aspect of building the best semi-custom rifle I could afford. My Left handed MRC 1999 was not Mr Days cup of tea, but he was so helpful in helping me put it together right. I can honestly say I never went against his advice during the course of this project, and dozens of dozens of PM's (hell I hope I didn't burn him out) I totally followed his choice for my Stock choice, caliber, barrel length, scope choice.
And NO my rifle is not a .300 win mag, lol grin Allen was quick to suggest just that (IMAGINE THAT) , but I was honest with him; letting him know I was not comfortable going with a belted mag. I had developed a flinch with a Belted mag a few years ealier that took me a while to get rid of. He totally understood and of the
calibers I was intrested in (270,280,30-06) he suggested the time proven -06 for my all around gun. Argue with that right!
He also put me in contact with Darcey Echols, and Mark Penrod, who both spoke highly of Allens knowledge as a rifleman. Echols was a blast, we talked for over 1/2 hour and he knew I wasn't even going to have him do work. I did want a Echols Lefty stock but that never materialized in time.
Mr Day where ever you are, your conversations are missed! Would love to meet you some day, if not in this life, the next in Heaven. I know he'll be there, becuase we didn't always just talk about guns. smile
Posted By: Joezone Re: Where is Allen Day? - 08/30/08
Allen, best of luck and hope you make it back occasionally!

I really enjoyed following Allen's discussions and appreciated his willingness to answer questions via pm. I've been checking these boards for awhile now wondering where he was and figured he may be on Safari. He sounds like a busy person so its not surprsing to hear he needs some time off line. Hope things go well for him and hope to see him on these boards again.

Joe
Posted By: utah708 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 09/09/08
Allen--

Let me join the chorus of people who are pleased to have crossed paths with at this cyber campfire, and say how much I would enjoy spending time with you around a real one. Your years of experience have given you a clear vision of what is important in a serious hunting gun, and I have learned a great deal from your articulate posts.

God's speed along your path, and I hope we hear from you in the future.
Posted By: hatari Re: Where is Allen Day? - 09/10/08
Do any of these look like Allenday to you?

Could always snail mail him.

http://www.zabasearch.com/query1_za...;city=&name_style=1&tm=&tmr=
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Where is Allen Day? - 09/10/08
Would be the second one, the Allen E. Day in the little hamlet of Dundee, Oregon.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/27/09
Perhaps someone who knows Allen Day could contact him, welcome him back to post here, and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving.
I almost always accepted Allen Days opine on most subjects, and enjoyed his posts, and we had horses in common also.

The only disagreement I had and we never discusse it was that I got the impression that he judged everything by how much it cost, but a lot of folks do that and in some cases it's right.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $2500 for the best plastic or laminated stocked custom rifle out there. They just don't cost that much to build and a half inch gun is a half inch gun. But a LOT of folks will challange me on that one! smile smile

There is nothing wrong with two folks like JJ and Allen disagreeing, it makes for stimulating conversation and interesting discussion as long as it's civil..
Posted By: ScottW Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Not much to say that hasn't been said. I remember my first "run-in" with Allen was when I suggested that the new Hornady Light Magnum -'06 ammo was very near the performance of standard .300 Win Mag ammo. He had strong differences in opinion. I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Allen is a solid, good human being. Stubborn, opinionated based on facts from his realm of experience. He was a kind man to me on the phone the couple of times I spoke with him.
He was an essential poster and solid member of 24hourcampfire.
I don't know why he stopped posting: tired of the B.S., business or family time requirements, disease. I don't know, but I know that he is missed by me.
He lives just 20 minutes from me, but I do not feel I have the level of friendship that would make me feel right to contact him. Knowing Allen, he's been here...just not posting.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Esteem every man but none too highly.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Originally Posted by ScottW
I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Just out of curiosity, can you post the ballistics for the Light Magnum? a 180gr 300 Win Mag out of a 2" barrel goes about 3100 give or take. What was the 06s and does Hornady still make it? I can't seem to find it. jorge
Posted By: Craigster Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Hornaday Light Mag ammo has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Light-magnum-heavy-magnum/

Here's data on the '06 Superperformance 180's.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Sprg-180-gr-SST-Superformance/
Posted By: 340boy Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Originally Posted by ScottW
Not much to say that hasn't been said. I remember my first "run-in" with Allen was when I suggested that the new Hornady Light Magnum -'06 ammo was very near the performance of standard .300 Win Mag ammo. He had strong differences in opinion. I was right, but his point was that so could the .300 Winnie be uploaded. That wasn't my premise. It was a simple one: A .30-'06 owner could now have similar performance with a .300 Winnie owner. He did not like that premise, even though it was true.

Allen is a solid, good human being. Stubborn, opinionated based on facts from his realm of experience. He was a kind man to me on the phone the couple of times I spoke with him.
He was an essential poster and solid member of 24hourcampfire.
I don't know why he stopped posting: tired of the B.S., business or family time requirements, disease. I don't know, but I know that he is missed by me.
He lives just 20 minutes from me, but I do not feel I have the level of friendship that would make me feel right to contact him. Knowing Allen, he's been here...just not posting.

I wish he was still posting here, also.
He has some good solid advice, seems to me.
Wherever he is, I hope he is doing good.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
a 180gr 300 Win Mag out of a 2" barrel goes about 3100 give or take.

That would be in a S&W Chief's Special .300 Win Mag? smile
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
oops. 24" smile Anyhow can the Light MAgs match that? Went to the link and it said:2820/3178 No way that's close to a 300. Guess Allen was right after all..

Now I see they stopped making them. Wonder why? jorge
Posted By: 340boy Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
I know, I know!
Jorge meant to type ( 2' ) barrel.
Which as we all know, equals 24".
grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Yup I like the man also.Wish Mr.Day the best at whatever he is doing.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
Ole Allen(GOOD MAN) was THE Guy that helped me out on my first custom build as to who were respectable builders and what not. Wished I had took his advice on who to go with, woulda saved me ALOT of money LOL...........he sent me a pm lining out EVERYTHING alot folk don't have to be nice and do such, but Allen did!. I miss his post as well.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Where is Allen Day? - 11/30/09
That's only cuzz he didn't know you would vote for Obama.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/01/09
He'd have shot him for that....jorge
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/03/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's only cuzz he didn't know you would vote for Obama.

Dang, Steelie- you beat me to it!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/06/09
What?! Voted for the Imposter??!! Get a rope......
I usually counter the enhanced 30-06 comparison to the 300s with they can enhance the 300 also, so that puts the arguement back to square one! The 300 wins again! smile

I can't stand hard headed, stubborn, opionated people! smile smile smile
Posted By: hatari Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/08/09
Originally Posted by atkinson
I usually counter the enhanced 30-06 comparison to the 300s with they can enhance the 300 also, so that puts the arguement back to square one! The 300 wins again! smile

I can't stand hard headed, stubborn, opionated people! smile smile smile

Does that make you the pot or the kettle? wink
Posted By: vapodog Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/08/09
There can be a marked difference between what a man types on the internet and how one reads it.

Several folks can read the same paragraph and come away with several differing opinions of the intent of the poster.

It's one thing to read what is posted for precisely what is said and quite another to read it for attitude.

One must always be careful not to read what isn't written and assume demeanor.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/08/09
Well I be darn he(Allen Day) JUST sent me a pm and said he STILL woulda helped me out on my first custom build LOL.......HMMM go figure. grin Thanks Allen!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/08/09
Originally Posted by Popapi
Well I be darn he(Allen Day) JUST sent me a pm and said he STILL woulda helped me out on my first custom build LOL.......HMMM go figure. grin Thanks Allen!

Given these are his stats

allenday (Member #3607)
Registered On: 04/28/03 01:57 PM

I find that hard to believe.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/08/09
UH UH UH UH I ment email grin..
Posted By: EDMHUNTER Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/09/09
Could you PM me his email or send him a thank you from me on his rifle advice? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/09/09
Originally Posted by Pugs

allenday (Member #3607)

I agree 100% and I know...jorge
Posted By: Popapi Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/10/09
Originally Posted by Pugs

allenday (Member #3607)

I agree 100% and I know...jorge
GOOD for you wonna cookie crazy.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/10/09
My english comprehension is lacking...jorge
It figures.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/10/09
But my ability to detect prevarication is quite acute...jorge
Yeah right I doubt that you can't count money, so how in the heck................nothing I won't go there.............YOUR funny!
Allen's a good guy.I've had a lot of conversations with him online over the years,and he's always been very helpful.He certainly knows his stuff,and it comes from real world experience,not just from reading a book.

Oh yeah-and the SOB can shoot!!I've got a couple of Mark Sullivan videos that have Allen in them.Everything he shoots goes down like it's hit by lightning,with the first shot.On one video he absolutley flattens two huge cape buffalo bulls with one shot a piece........using a 300 Winchester Magnum no less.

Brian.
Posted By: g5m Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/09
I appreciated his posts. But, I seem to recall that a year or two ago he was really taken to task over his opinion about something-- maybe it was optics, Leupold vs. something else-- maybe.
Anyway, it seems that sometimes folks here really can be bitchy. It drove Dogzapper off, too.
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/30/14
We will miss him. RIP.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/14
seriously?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/14
Yes.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/14
He died a year or so ago no?
Posted By: SKane Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/14
Allen E. Day, 52, of Dundee, OR passed away May 25, 2010, at home. Allen was born July 30, 1957, in Oregon City to Edward and Julia Day. It was here in Oregon City that Allen worked as a fourth generation farmer on his family's berry farm for years before founding his own real estate investment company. Although Allen moved away from the farm, he took his love of the outdoors with him, becoming a skilled marksman and avid hunter. While he loved the outdoors, Allen's greatest love was for people. He enjoyed spending most of his time surrounded by family and friends. Allen is survived by his mother Julia, his wife Beth and his two daughters, Kim and Kristen.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Cause?

I think it was a cancer, maybe a melanoma but I'm not positive about that.
Posted By: Brad Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
We will miss him. RIP.

How will you miss him? You didn't know him...

Another whack job on the internet.
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Brad,

I had spoken with Allen Day on two occasions back in 2006-2007 when looking into getting a D'Arcy Echols Legend.

D'Arcy had sent me his 'catalogue'; a 3-4 page letter describing his rifles and also a list of current owners and their phone numbers. One of the references was Allen Day.

While I did not know him, those 2 hours on the phone with him told me that he cared, was a gentleman, very knowledgeable, wanted to share his experiences, loved his family and so much more. Yes, I will miss him.

Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
We will miss him. RIP.

How will you miss him? You didn't know him...

Another whack job on the internet.
Posted By: Brad Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Understood. My Apology.

Bringing his old threads to the top made me wonder...
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Thank you Brad. You are also someone whose experience I respect.

Best regards and I also apologize for any misunderstandings.

Happy New Year.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote
I miss his posts.

Not me.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/15
Allen had a ton of relevant experience there's no doubt about that, but he had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Yep. I don't have any respect for people such as that.
Posted By: Brad Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
Allen had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

That's complete horsechit.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Well....he may have formed some pretty firm opinions ( who on here hasn't?). But at least they were based on having done a lot of hunting and shooting over the years in lots of places.You have to respect that.

He concluded that combination worked best for him...and about the only real squawk any of us have is that the rifles were expensive....but I doubt he had any more than 4 figures into any of those Echols rifles at the time.

Cripes you see guys on here whip through $2-$5k builds like they change their socks, searching for the "perfect" rifle and cartridge. Do that a few times you just paid for an Echols

My impression, based on what he posted here,and in phone conversations with him, was he had reached a stage where he was no longer "guessing" about anything.He had a clear understanding of what worked for him. Some people never reach that stage.

I think that summed it pretty well Bob.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
Allen had real trouble with anything that didn't agree with his experience. If you weren't shooting A-Frames or Partitions out of a Echols tuned Model 70, you might as well have been hunting with a club.

Brad - I wrote that in 2008. I'm certainly not going to get in a debate about something written 6+ years ago and absolutely not about a good man that's passed on. I will say I've gone back and re-read Allen's posts more than once since he left us. That's not something I'd do for someone who's opinion I didn't respect.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
To anyone else quoting what I wrote 6+ years ago, when I would have been happy to debate with Allen, to now disparage a man that's passed on, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't. Thank you.

Jeremie
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
Brad gets his cunny all twisted up on a guy for digging up an old thread, without knowing why, then calls you out on a post made 6 years ago.

You can't make this stuff up.
Posted By: Brad Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Brad gets his cunny all twisted up on a guy for digging up an old thread, without knowing why, then calls you out on a post made 6 years ago.

You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted by Reloder28

Scott, you're too stupid and drunk (per usual) to realize I didn't dig it up... you can't make this stuff up. Go back one page.

Too funny...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15

Here you go Brad, since you are obviously so cum drunk at the moment. You didn't quote someone else quoting JDS comment. You cherry picked out JDS comment and commented on that. A comment made a LONG time ago.

Don't matter much, you can go back many years and feel free to quote me calling you a dumbphuck
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/02/15
To anyone else quoting what I wrote 6+ years ago, when I would have been happy to debate with Allen, to now disparage a man that's passed on, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't. Thank you.

Jeremie

jds I never even looked at when you said it.It would not have occurred to me anyway.

I didn't consider your comment disparaging anyway.....just an expression of opinion.
Posted By: brooksrange Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/16
I passed through Oregon just last week and thought long and hard about how much common sense Allen Day possessed. A great hunter and rational man. He is missed by many as we enter another New Year. Bless his family, rifles and wonderful words on the campfire.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/16

Below is a photo of Allen helping me with a blacktail I killed.

Those who know blacktail country know how nasty/steep it can be; this one was pretty ugly to extract, but we did it while laughing and jabbing each other in the butt the whole way out.

The shot was 300+ yards, but it took about three hours to get the buck down and uuupppp to the landing I shot from.

[Linked Image]

Allen took this photo of me and my buck.

[Linked Image]

We got back to town, butchered the buck and gave it to an old-time friend of ours ... a widow lady who shared our hunting camp for many years.

Allen, old friend, Rest In Peace ... I pray for your soul ever day.

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/16
I do miss my friend. He helped me out so much preparing for my Safaris. Even gave me a lovely WR cartridge belt holder that goes with me on every hunt to this day. J

Steve, I just saw this after stumbling on this resurrected thread. Thanks for putting it up. I PMed AD quite regularly for some period in there before 2008.

While I couldn't really disagree with what he promoted, his dogmatism was what we disagreed on but that was minor in the scheme of things. He certainly had a passion that his words communicated clearly.

What was prima facie with him to me later after getting past the niceties was his faith in Jesus Christ as his savior.
Posted By: John55 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/16
Seeing this thread about my old hunting and gun buddy sure brought back some fine memories. AD and I made a couple hunts together and had more planned until his illness changed everything. I miss our weekly phone visits and numerous emails to discuss guns, cartridges, optics and hunting! He was a no BS guy and when he talked I listened because he was the real deal. I think I learned a lot more from him than he did from me, and I still miss him to this day. Never spent a day afield with a finer human being.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where is Allen Day? - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by John55
Seeing this thread about my old hunting and gun buddy sure brought back some fine memories. AD and I made a couple hunts together and had more planned until his illness changed everything. I miss our weekly phone visits and numerous emails to discuss guns, cartridges, optics and hunting! He was a no BS guy and when he talked I listened because he was the real deal. I think I learned a lot more from him than he did from me, and I still miss him to this day. Never spent a day afield with a finer human being.

Coming from John that is high praise indeed.
Posted By: John55 Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/17
Bob,
AD certainly knew his M70s and 1911s. He enjoyed using high quality examples of both and was very proficient with either one! I still remember him decking 2 Cape buffalo with his 300win mag over in TZ. You'd have to be good for a PH to allow that! When we were in S.E. Alaska on a bear hunt his chance came and he made short work of that with his 416. I think he'd have enjoyed messing with a 7MSM😉
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where is Allen Day? - 01/01/17
Yeah John he might like that! I spoke with him few times on the phone and he was a 300 Win/338 fan but recognized the Rem Mag worked.

So the Mashburn may have made some sense to him.. smile
© 24hourcampfire