Home
I purchased this rifle from the seller on December 10. I'll probably receive it in the next 2 or 3 weeks. In the meantime, I thought I would post the seller's description of the rifle and the seller's photos. When the rifle comes in I'll take some new photos and post them.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Dec 10, 2008
Category: Rifles - African Dangerous Game Magazine - Mauser Rifles Sporters Pre War
Title: Osa Johnson's 9.3x62 Type A Mauser
Description:
This is a highly desirable Oberndorf Mauser Type A in 9.3 X 62 owned by the famous explorer and film maker, Osa Johnson. Together with her husband Martin Johnson, she pretty much invented the wildlife documentary. Her book, "I Married Adventure", was made into a movie in 1940 starring Mrs. Johnson as herself. Google Osa to learn more about her life and the museum devoted to her exploits. Rifle is inlaid in platinum on the barrel, "Specially made for Chas. Heyer & Co. Nairobi". Comes with letter from auction house that handled her estate at the time of her death in 1953, identifying this rifle by serial number.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.geh.org/ar/strip37/m198512580084.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.safarimuseum.com/logos/safari_title_o.gif[/img]
http://www.safarimuseum.com/

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/m_o-onserengeti.small.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0057-640x480.jpg[/img]
Little ol' me on my recent visit to the museum.
(photo taken on November 22, 2008)
What a wonderful rifle. Congratulations, looks like the find of a lifetime. Not only beautiful but it looks like it has a lot of life left in it. What is the LOP?

When you get it, please post more pics!

Terry
What a cool thing. Her book is quite a hoot. She had pluck, to say the least.

Hopefully the gun is not so valuable that you would not deny it one more trip back to Africa.
Looking at the photos more carefully, it looks like all you would need to do is drill and tap for a scope and maybe take a dremel tool to those open sights and you would be ready to go.
Don't know the LOP. Wasn't stated on the web site and I forgot to ask the seller when I spoke with him on the phone. Oh well... doesn't matter. I'll measure it when the rifle comes in.

-Bob F.
Originally Posted by utah708
Looking at the photos more carefully, it looks like all you would need to do is drill and tap for a scope and maybe take a dremel tool to those open sights and you would be ready to go.

Well, yeah! How did you guess that I was planning to do that exact work on it???? [Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin grin grin grin grin
Cerakote and a swirly while you are at it. Might as well go all out.
Yea, I was just wondering since it was a womans rifle. Not to worry, just slip one of those recoil pad/boots on when shooting if proves to be too short and pull it back off when finished.

Osa was a beautiful woman. whistle

I really like your new toy!

Terry
Wow, my dream rifle and my dream girl! I was under the impression she mostly used a Winchester 95. Seeing her with that Mauser 9.3 makes my fantasy complete.
It would be interesting to think about what modern rifles might be a similar classic with a neat history somewhere down the road. It may not happen because the current crop of gun writers change rifles like Liz Taylor changed husbands. Sure won't be Jim Shockey's Encore. And the era of exploring is long gone.

Maybe a Boddington-owned rifle comes as close as any.
Good snag!
She was quite a gal wasn't she.
On a more serious note, if the stock did not fit you, it would be possible to get another stock made for it that did. This is clearly a gun that deserves to continue to be used.
When it arrives, I'll have my gunsmith check it out thoroughly. Check for oil damaged wood and repair it, check the bedding, etc. Of course, the most important thing is proper restoration/repair if needed while keeping the rifle original. If the gun is safe to fire, then I will definitely shoot it a few times.

I MIGHT use it to hunt a deer or a feral hog here in Texas while being very careful with it in the field, of course. I will most definitely NOT risk taking it to Africa (or take it on a commercial airline at all). Too much chance of damage to the rifle or having it stolen. Kind of a shame really.... It would be cool to take the old rifle back to Africa but I just don't want to chance it.

After I've played with it some and enjoyed having it in my home, I may talk to the Safari Museum to see if they would like to have it on loan from me in order to display it at the museum for a while.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]
Anything Finn Aagaard used in Africa and that ugly pet 30-06 he used in Texas.

On a related note,I have a nice old custom 7x57 Mauser with a short LOP that looks for all the world like the one Eleanor O'Connor used.

I have no documentation but it had to be inspired by hers if it is not the real deal.

Your rifle is so cool,it would be the perfect companion to the one that I have. Great find.
Bob--
I suppose you are right that the rifle is too irreplaceable to entrust to the luggage gorillas. But it is a shame that it will never truly be used again as it was intended.

How about a nilgai hunt? Maybe there would be a magazine article in it that would cover some of the cost. Why don't you invite JB down to do that hunt with you for an article?
Bob,

All I can say is WOW!!!

Steve
Way to go! You have snagged a great piece of history.

If it were mine, it would find a place of honor in the house somewhere, and never be touched or altered with a tool of any kind. I might use it for hunting, but only in its present condition.
Nice find. I started reading I Married Adventure just about a year ago, and finished it in two sittings. After that I grabbed [u]Bride of the Soloman's[/u. Fascinating!
All I can say is, WOW.
Incredibly nice find. Congrats!!
Pretty awesome rifle in a great caliber..A gun with that kind of documented history should remain in a gun closet and go unused, but I would be sorely tempted to shoot a Cape Buffalo etc. with it were it mine..It is beautiful..
How's the museum? It's a sub-2 hour drive from my house and I've never been there. My kids love that sort of stuff. It's a shame really, but I've only recently become aware of the doings of Martin and Osa Johnson and I'ma lifelong Kansan.

Great buy on that rifle.
MattO,

The museum is very nice but small. You can see everything in a couple of hours. It is worth going to see, IMHO, if you have an interest in the Johnsons (and especially since you're so close). We found Chanute to be a nice, small town with very friendly people.

Take a look at my thread "My trip to the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum" for a few more photos of the museum.

We stayed at the Tioga Suites Hotel http://www.tiogasuites.com/ in downtown Chanute and it is right next door to the museum.

The museum is in the restored Santa Fe railroad depot and the Tioga Suites Hotel is in the building that was once the Santa Fe railroad hotel.

More info about the museum at their web site:

Description from the Museum's website:

"There are two main galleries, one presenting the Johnsons' story and another of African ethnographic exhibits. Additionally, a smaller temporary display space features traveling and changing exhibits.

The museum includes a shop offering Johnson books and video copies of their movies. The Museum Shop also carries a selection of ethnic items from Africa and other parts of the world.

The museum has garnered state and national awards and has been named the No. 1 Museum in Kansas.
"

Go see it! IMHO, it would make a nice weekend trip for you since you're so close to Chanute.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Great find and a GRAND Old Rifle. I look forward to seeing more photos, etc. when you take delivery of the rifle.
Those were the days.....and the rifles. A real working tool with class.
Bob Faucett,

What a magnificent rifle and history as well. Please continue the story and more about the rifle as you will.
Bob,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Have to make a day trip out there once the bird season closes. Glad you enjoyed our state. The picture of the outside of the building surprised me. I've been in Chanute a few times and didn't expect a building nearly that large.

For other readers of this thread who occasionally pass through Kansas, the Sternberg museum in Hays is also worth a stop. It's very convenient from I-70.
I really wish I was good with photoshop. I would show you what rifle that would look like with a GAP camo McMillan, green cerakote, and a scope with 50 mm objective lens and turrets.

That would get another three pages of comments right quick.
No need for pics -- it would look like crap -- just like every other rifle that has been done to grin. Having seen pics of your woodwork...I 'spect you got a clue about that too.

What a wonderful old rifle, and with a known story. I have four old hunting rifles (6.5x54 Kurz, 8x56 MS, 9x57 Mauser, and 9.3x57 Mauser) that must have had great lives before coming to this country -- but no way to know their stories. This rifle has history...a terrific find and grand that others get to enjoy it as well.

Dennis
I love those old dark stained stocks.
Always great to see wonderful old rifles, especially those with history behind them. Thanks for sharing.
Way cool rifle!

I grew up 6 miles north of Independence, Kansas where Osa and Martin were married. In grade school we had a field trip to the old museum before it moved, but wasn't old enough to appreciate what I was seeing. I live about an hour from Chanute, and go through there quite a bit, will have to stop in sometime.
Bob,

That is so neat. Sorry I missed this thread earlier--working too hard evidently--but there is nothing quite like owning a good piece hunting history.

I have been lucky enough to shoot a few "historical" rifles in my time, that formerly belonged to famous hunters, but haven't ever had the chance to own one. Congratulations!

Bob,

Thanks for the pic's and the story. What a classy piece!
And representative of a better time in many ways too I think. May have to read the book.

You know, it doesn't matter what I think, but...I like it just as it is. Very nice.

Gdv
Well, you could always take it on a White Sands Oryx hunt, and still hunt African Game!!

Great piece of history!!

Richard
What a great find!
I grew up reading everything I could find by or about the Johnsons.
Congratulations!
Thanks everyone for all your kind remarks and kudos. It's not everyday one gets to see a rifle like this and I wanted to share the photos with my fellow Campfire members. Thanks again!

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Shoot it and show us the groups!
B: Yahoo!!,and I am glad someone who will appreciate it ended up with that rifle.That is really neat and I hope you enjoy it. Congrats!

Owning a rifle that belonged to a famous name in hunting and shooting is really cool. I owned Bob Chatfield-Taylors' Leonard Brownell 270 and have been kicking my butt ever since I sold it frown
ruraldoc,

Don't want to disappoint you but Eleanor's 7x57 is still in the O'Connor family. The rifle was put together in 1951 by the team of Tom Burgess doing the metalwork, and Russ Leonard doing the stock. Although the rifle was made for Jack, Eleanor tried it and took it for herself. She used it for the vast majority of her hunting after that. She did use another rifle some, a Len Brownell custom Model 70 in 30-06. She called it her "big rifle" and used it on dangerous game, including an elephant.

Tom
A BIG thanks to 24 Hour Campfire member "Grogel_Deluxe" who told me about these photos!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

----------------------------------

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/osa-mauser/04a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/osa-mauser/04b.jpg[/img]

I believe these may be publicity photos for the movie "I Married Adventure".

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Great piece of history. Thanks for sharing it all.
Bob, that is super neat.
Without the history, that is one beautiful rifle, but the fact that it was owned by Osa puts it over the top. As Seyfried said: "I love hunting with ghosts!"

Thank you again for sharing with the rest of us!

Johnny$

One more photo.

[Linked Image]

-Bob F.

Great photos of Mrs. Johnson
I really wish I was good with photoshop. I would show you what rifle that would look like with a GAP camo McMillan, green cerakote, and a scope with 50 mm objective lens and turrets.

That would get another three pages of comments right quick.

Or get you arrested for public perversion grin grin

Bob, I guess that's about as meaningful as a firearm can get. I guess the only thing that would top it for me would be something like Hemingway's 6.5 Mannlicher. But really there is no difference. What history!
Wow! Great find, Bob! Enjoy your time, as caretaker of that rifle....what a treasure!

The urge to take that baby back to Africa, must be unbearable! grin

Jeff
that's some cool stuff, bob... the rifle for sure, with all of it's history... thanks for sharing your trip to chanute as well...

i do think that it would be great if you wished to take that rifle to africa...

i suspect though, that you have rifles of your own with african history... rifles that you've invested some of yourself into.... those are just as cool.....
Did you ever meet the couple, or just through film and reading? She sounds a lot like the kind of lady we need in today's world, very pretty and well, very accomplished.

Randy
Originally Posted by medicman
Did you ever meet the couple, or just through film and reading?

Just know of them through film and reading. Martin Johnson died in 1937 and Osa died in 1953. I was born in 1954.

-Bob F.
OOPS

nice to see your interest in them and the honour you pay the rifle as hers.
Randy
This thread just keeps getting better!

til later
Wow! That's an incredible find Bob. I'm sure glad that wound up in the hands of some one that appreciates the history and firearms. I'd buy the steaks and beer just to take a shot with that beauty.
Some one mentioned the 1895 Winchester and you can see that her husband has one in the first set of shots Bob posted. Very cool and I now have that museum on my list of places to go.
I thought some here might enjoy seeing a few photos of Osa with other rifles:

[Linked Image]
"Osa pictured in the Serengeti with her new Springfield rifle, 1928."

[Linked Image]
Winchester Model 1895 in .405 Winchester

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thomas Bland double rifle in .470 Nitro Express [Linked Image]
(Black Rhino on the ground)

[Linked Image]
Possibly her Mauser in 9.3x62 - can't tell for sure.

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/m198512570218-a.jpg[/img]

I'd say Osa had pretty good taste when it came to rifles!! smile

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin
Pretty cool to see guns and cameras were a great combo even back in the day. smile The shot with Osa setting on that buff with the 1895 is one of my favorites.
Thanks for sharing theese Bob.
Where can I find the book "I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson? I looked in an electronic card catalog and it isn't listed for her.
Where can I find the book "I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson? I looked in an electronic card catalog and it isn't listed for her.
amazon.com has new copies (paperback) available.

Also try www.abebooks.com

OR go to the Safari Museum's gift shop and help support the museum with your purchase!

http://www.safarimuseum.com/museum_shop_cart.htm
(scroll down the page to find the books)

I also recommend "Four Years in Paradise" by Osa. It's about four of the years they spent in East Africa.

-Bob F.

Thanks ! I ordered the "Four Years in Paradise". The library had that one.
Rolly,

Good deal. I think you'll enjoy it. Here's a little summary about the time period covered in "Four Years in Paradise":

"The second and longest trip, from 1924 to 1927, was partially supported by the American Museum of Natural History. During this trip the Johnsons spent much of their time in northern Kenya at their home by a lake they dubbed Paradise, at Mount Marsabit. This provided them the opportunity to film migrating animals in a variety of situations. In January 1927, they attempted to climb Mount Kenya. After reaching 12,000 feet, the Johnsons and several others developed high fevers and had to be carried off the mountain. Osa, who fell unconscious, spent six weeks recovering from pneumonia and high-altitude illness. This period is covered in Martin's "Safari" (1928) and Osa's "Four Years in Paradise" (1941), and in their film "Simba" (1928).
http://www.scripophily.net/marjohafexco.html

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Originally Posted by BFaucett
I thought some here might enjoy seeing a few photos of Osa with other rifles:

[Linked Image]
"Osa pictured in the Serengeti with her new Springfield rifle, 1928."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thomas Bland double rifle in .470 Nitro Express [Linked Image]
(Black Rhino on the ground)

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/m198512570218-a.jpg[/img]

I'd say Osa had pretty good taste when it came to rifles!! smile

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin

More Wonderful pictures cool cool
What a great thread, great rifles, great photos!
Film clip of Osa and a lion.

http://www.wildfilmhistory.org/film/311/clip/813/Spearing+a+roaring+comet+of+wrath.html
This is GREAT!

til later
FYI for those wondering.

Martin Johnson (October 9, 1884 � January 13, 1937) and his wife Osa Johnson (n�e Leighty, March 14, 1894 � January 7, 1953) were adventurers from Kansas, United States.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sikorsky S-38 "Osa's Ark"

[Linked Image]
Sikorsky S-39 "Spirit of Africa"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob, do you have any concept how jealous I am? I mean even the slightest inkling? Put the old beauty to good use!
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
Bob, do you have any concept how jealous I am? I mean even the slightest inkling? Put the old beauty to good use!

+1 !

We all know how hard it is to actually wear out a Mauser -- but I would really like to see you try! (and I'll bet Osa would appreciate the rifle being worked as intended!).

Don't let that rifle languish in a safe too much!

John
One photo seems to have a .405 Winchester and a British double in the scabbard.
Coool, A sikorski painted like the Nuges bronco! grin
What a GREAT thread, and a great rifle.
thanks, Bob.

GTC
Great score dude! Obviously jealous. Would you mind divulging where you ran across that piece? 1Minute
Happy Holidays Bob!

I just found this thread and its fantastic! I'm sure Todd is anxious as well to receive it...Simple incredible!
Congrats my friend!

Aloha,

Roland
Howdy Roland! Yeah, Todd is very excited about it! He can hardly wait to see it. Of course, I'm anxious to see it too!

Happy Holidays to you and yours too!

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"For bravery and steadiness and endurance, Osa is the equal of any man I ever saw. She is a woman through and through. There is nothing 'mannish' about her. Yet as a comrade in the wilderness she is better than any man I ever saw." -- Martin Johnson.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rest in Peace.

-Bob F.

What a life!

til later
Bob where is their final resting place? When we were on Maui last year we tried to make it to the far side well past Hana to see Charles Lindbergs grave. Unfortunatly severe storms the days before made it a bit of a rough trip in a rental car and we never made it quite that far.
Elmwood Cemetery
Chanute, Kansas
Plot: Sec175 Blk03 Lot009 Sp04
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19038470

Map of cemetery:
http://www.chanute.org/government/departments/Cemetery/maps/elmwood.htm

The photo above of the grave site is not mine. I posted the photo from the www.findagrave.com web site. We didn't visit the graves on our visit to Chanute. We probably would have but didn't realize at the time that they were buried there (any didn't think to ask anyone about it when we were there).

-Bob F.
Thanks to everyone that posted photos. I've only read Osa's "I married adventure", and was fortunate enough to find a first edition in a used book store a couple of years ago. Adventure is a real understatment for their lives. I'd leave this world happy with just 5% of Osa's experiences. She was likely a 1 in 10 million find. I think I have one of those at home too, with the only difference being that I can outshoot my wife.

I wound up getting a Copy of "I Married Adventure" from Amazon. The Museum was out and I had another order going to Amazon. The book is published in arrangement with the The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum so hopefully no matter where you pick up a copy the museum still benefits. smile
I just couldn't resist adding one more photo to this thread. The photo below is one of five original photos that I have purchased. This one is a fashion shot for the March 1940 issue of Hollywood Magazine.

The second scan is the description that was on the back of the photo. Notice the handwritten note that states, "In coat made of gazelle she shot herself." Sure wouldn't see that in a magazine about celebrities today!!! Anyway, I thought some here might enjoy seeing the photo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Great Photo of a Classy, Beautiful Lady. cool cool
I love seeing this historical rifle & old pictures. Thank you very much for sharing them with us. And congrats on the rifle.
I do not know about the rest of you, but I figure Mr Johnson must have been quite a man to have captured the heart of such a woman as Osa.

"She was likely a 1 in 10 million find. I think I have one of those at home too, with the only difference being that I can outshoot my wife."

I married such a woman as well and although I shoot faster, I have never shot more accurately than she. We are bound for South Africa in the spring, her choice of rifle is 30-06. Her reasoning sound. She said that none of the animals we will hunt are bigger than the moose we hunt, and none of them have traveled more than twenty yards after she shot them.

I humbly submit that when a country boy marries a girl from the bush, he has done the wisest thing he will ever do. Beauty, strength, both inner and outer, and a natural problem solving manner are the blessings I have experienced over the past 32 years.
Randy
Here is a nice video clip of the Johnsons. What a great life!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52o69_martin-and-osa-johnson_travel
They both appeared to have died quite young, in their 50s.

Does anyone know what caused their deaths?
Originally Posted by 13579
They both appeared to have died quite young, in their 50s.

Does anyone know what caused their deaths?

From Wikipedia

Martin Johnson died in the crash of a Western Air Express Boeing 247 commercial flight near Newhall, California in 1937. Osa was severely injured but recovered. By October 1937, the New York Times was publishing dispatches of Osa's latest trip to Africa, in which she described lifestyles and practices of the Masai and other tribes.
She died in New York City of a heart attack in 1953.
Just a quick follow up:

Osa's rifle arrived at my gunsmith's shop (Todd Johnson) on December 26. Todd called me this morning (Dec 27) with a preliminary report.

Serial number is 105930 which, according to Jon Speed's book, puts the year of manufacture as 1930-1931. "BUG" proof marks. Length of pull is 13.0 inches.

I have not seen the rifle yet but according to Todd the rifle is in immaculate condition; almost pristine. Todd said the seller's photos (see the photos I posted earlier in this thread) don't do the rifle justice. Blueing is about 95-98% with age related patina (which Todd described as beautiful). Stock and recoil pad are in excellent condition. Bore is in excellent condition and rifling is crisp. Fore end tip is authentic horn.

Due to the Christmas holiday (and out of town family staying at his house) and him being under the weather the past couple of days, Todd told me he had not pulled the action from the stock yet. He doesn't want to work on it until he's feeling better. So, no detailed report yet on other proof marks, etc. at this time. Rest assured that I will follow up with more information in the coming weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
We'll all be watching for the photos. A man of your Class rates this Classic, IMO. Please hunt it from time to time. wink

L2S
As a former Executive Chef for Hilton I surely recognize the hotel stamp on that last photo. smile
Wow Bob, what a GREAT find & piece of history! Say will you be in Dallas for the convention next month? jorge
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Say will you be in Dallas for the convention next month? jorge

Sorry to say that I won't be at the Dallas show. I will be attending the Houston Safari Club convention. (January 16-18)

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Just a quick follow up:

Osa's rifle arrived at my gunsmith's shop (Todd Johnson) on December 26. Todd called me this morning (Dec 27) with a preliminary report.

Serial number is 105930 which, according to Jon Speed's book, puts the year of manufacture as 1930-1931. "BUG" proof marks. Length of pull is 13.0 inches.

I have not seen the rifle yet but according to Todd the rifle is in immaculate condition; almost pristine. Todd said the seller's photos (see the photos I posted earlier in this thread) don't do the rifle justice. Blueing is about 95-98% with age related patina (which Todd described as beautiful). Stock and recoil pad are in excellent condition. Bore is in excellent condition and rifling is crisp. Fore end tip is authentic horn.

Due to the Christmas holiday (and out of town family staying at his house) and him being under the weather the past couple of days, Todd told me he had not pulled the action from the stock yet. He doesn't want to work on it until he's feeling better. So, no detailed report yet on other proof marks, etc. at this time. Rest assured that I will follow up with more information in the coming weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

The "gun rack" in the photo looks even better than the rifle. laugh
Great rifle, Mr. Fawcett!
Thanks for the photos, too. I had about half of them.
When I got home from work, I had to get down my books by Osa Johnson to look at the photos of her and her rifles.

I thought that Husqvarna you posted earlier this year was cool, but his is way cool. If anyone even mentions drilling and tapping it or replacing the pad with anything but red rubber, drive them into the wilderness! I would reblue it to protect it, though.

If you want the stock duplicated but longer, PM me.

A few years ago, a gun dealer I know well had a .470 Thomas Bland double rifle like hers, which he had bought, sold to safari-bound hunters, bought back and sold again some 11 times. He had just gotten it back, with a partial box of cartridges, so we went out to the farm and shot it. Once was enough for him, but I had to warm up both barrels. Whew!
High Style...

http://www.unlimitedadventure.com/album.html
Cool! Thanks for the link. I had seen photos of that airplane before but didn't know about their web site.

Thanks!
-Bob F.
Hey Bob, what a small world . . .

I just met Todd for the first time at the the range (PSC - do you shoot there?) yesterday, and he was telling me all about the rifle! Very cool indeed!

Clint
Yeah, small world! smile I've been to PSC several times as Todd's guest but I don't belong to the club.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
I also like aircraft porn as well as Mauser porn. grin
Yeah, me too! I guess it's true that great minds do think alike! grin

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]
I wound up with two copies of "I Married Adventure" so if any one is loooking for a copy just drop me a PM. smile

SOLD
Boy! It would be a dream come true if that rifle could only talk. I can't imagine the stories it could tell.
Bob, Do you have it in hand? Would love to see more photos of the rifle if you have it.
Well, sort of. It's currently residing at my gunsmith's shop. It just needs a good cleaning. My gunsmith is also going to check the stock for cracks and any oil damaged wood. (Nothing will be done to detract from the collector value of the rifle! It will remain all original.) I had a chance to handle it when I visited the shop but I haven't brought it home yet. The rifle is in very good condition. I haven't had an opportunity yet to take any photos. Thanks for asking about it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
BF,

Those with taste are watching with interest. whistle

The rest of us could care less. crazy

I can't wait to see it in action again. Hang that stock over some light bulbs, and get the gunsmith off his azz!!! grin
Well, I'm sure you know that gunsmiths calculate time differently than the rest of us mere mortals!

-Bob F. grin grin grin grin
"I'll get it right out" = 1-2 years...

"I'll need it for a little while" = 2-4 years

grin
I look forward to the photos when you get it.
Great rifle,congrats on a super find....Have you done any research on the Heyer Co? I have one of their rifles as well,a .404,built in '24.I would love to have a photo of their store.I've heard many stories of their great 'outfitting'services.
Way to go,that's a good buy and great piece of old Africa!
AWESOMWE RIFLE, When I see a rifle like that I get all giddy and break out in cold sweats..That is my kind of rifle, it reeks with nostalgia, and who knows what stories it could tell other than the ones you already have..I have owned more than a few like that but with less documented history.

My only problem is the gun whore in me crops up from time to time and somebody temps me with a big red delicious apple and I let those beauties get away from me, DAMMIT..but I still have one on hand.
Bob, earlier you wrote:

Of course, the most important thing is proper restoration/repair (my emphasis) if needed while keeping the rifle original.

But just recently added:
Nothing will be done to detract from the collector value of the rifle! It will remain all original.

Thank goodness! I know it may seem like parsing words but I've seen "restorations" ruin a rifle. It's only original once! GREAT find and a great story as well.

What a benchmark in time...and what a change in the world from then 'til now.

Again...congrats!
Yeah, I understand but I meant the same thing in both posts. By "restoration"/repair I meant checking the wood for internal cracks and repairing if needed, repair oil damaged/soaked wood if needed. That type of thing.

An example, the horn tip is coming unglued from the fore end. That's an easy repair and the repair will not detract from the originality of the rifle.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Bob, do you know the rifles maker?
I have looked over the photos and have watched the box set of movies. Pretty lady, pretty rifle. I am impressed all over again, and plan a trip next year to the museum.
Randy
Grogel,

It is an original Oberndorf Mauser Type A sporter. Meaning made by Mauser and not an English made rifle with a Mauser action.

-Bob F.
Awesome thread. Thanks so much for sharing all this living history.

Ack!!!! Why not re-barrel it and stick the action in a McSwirly stock too!! Gad!
Well, it's been about one year since I originally started this thread so I thought I would post an update.

The small amount of preservation and restoration work the rifle needed has been finished for several months now. Don't worry you Mauser collectors..... NOTHING was done to distract from its history and heritage. It just needed a little tender loving care.

The rifle is still at Todd's shop (my gunsmith) for now. I just haven't picked it up and brought it home with me yet. BUT, I'll let you in on a little secret..... Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone! grin

I left the rifle at Todd's shop so that a well-known gun writer could see, handle, and take photos of it. He and I have been corresponding for the last year or so concerning an article that he is doing on the rifle. (It does take time for a gun writer to get a publisher interested in the subject matter, do research, take photos and write an article!) Now, I can't say much more than that at this time. But, I believe that in 2010 you'll be able to buy a new issue of a publication that will feature an article on Osa's rifle.

Don't worry..... When I get the "go ahead" from the author, I will be sure to post on here the name of the publication and when it will be available.

So... Be sure to stay tuned......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.geh.org/ar/strip42/m198512691530.jpg[/img]

Cheers! [img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/emoticons/beer2.gif[/img]
-Bob F.
I look forward to reading the article. I hope you get to take it hunting and whack a critter or two with it soon too.
Why not let the gunwriter shoot it. I doesn't hurt to let the old rifles talk and tell their own story.
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Why not let the gunwriter shoot it. I doesn't hurt to let the old rifles talk and tell their story.

Oh... I offered to let him shoot it and to actually hunt with it at a place here in Texas that is owned by a friend of mine. His schedule just never worked out to do that.

-Bob F.
Congratulations on your purchase! That is a classic to be sure.
Thanks for posting the pictures. Her husband was very fortunate to have her as a wife. Nothing like a woman holding a .470 Nitro! grin
whelennut
I bought the dvd collection and three books. I have really been taken by the lady. You have a magnificent piece of history in that rifle.
Randy
They appear to be pretty knowledgeable in their choice of firearms for film makers (grin). I also noticed in the photos showing the Winchester 95s that they had modified the stocks with recoil pads. I wonder if the Winchester collectors cringe at that sight?
I just can't resist adding a few more pics to the thread!

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'll bet I've opened this thread at least a dozen times, great thread, neat rifle and classy lady.

[Linked Image]

Olsa and her 1895 Winchester in 405 Caliber that used on Cape Buffalo very effectively according to an artice that I read

Great thread and pictures Bob
When I read "I Married Adventure" I got a feel for this ladies tenacity and sense of humour. Would have been great to share a campfire with them. Great photos Bob, thanks

Randy
Thanks for the thread and pictures! I am going to check out this lady and her works, very interesting indeed.
I have also read, and own, a copy of " I Married Adventure"..and have read other stuff about Osa and Martin Johnson....

I remember a line by Ruark, commenting on their activities while trying to film lions, and needing bait....he said something to the effect that they" killed more game than rinderpest" in order to get those photos... grin

Pretty neat photographic history to leave though...

Ingwe
Both my kids were born in Martin and Osa Johnson's hometown. It's about thirty miles from here. There's a nice museum dedicated to them there. Everything is "Safari" this and safari that.
Just a few more pics.

Cheers! smile
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/osa_scouting_BJ161.jpg[/img]
I love all these wonderful pictures cool cool
They just don't make ladies like that anymore.........
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Both my kids were born in Martin and Osa Johnson's hometown. It's about thirty miles from here. There's a nice museum dedicated to them there. Everything is "Safari" this and safari that.

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Be sure to check out this VIDEO slide show!

Martin and Osa Johnson
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52o69_martin-and-osa-johnson_travel

(Turn your sound up as it has very nice music!)

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
Bob, hope the new year finds this great rifle back in Africa in your hands. Looking forward to the pics. Happy days!
Wow, thank you Sir,

and a fine prosperous New year to you and that Rifle.

GTC
WOW. New to the forum and just found this thread! Awesome rifle! I remember seeing one of the Johnson's documentaries years ago!!!!!! This is simply how a rifle is suppose to be!! Wood and steel!!!!!

Kaywoodie
Just an update on the article about the rifle:

I've heard back from the gun writer that did the article about Osa's rifle. Be on the lookout for the new edition of Gun Digest (the annual book) which should be out in late July or so.

Here's the email I received today (I'm not revealing the gun writer's name at this time):

-------------------------------------
Sun, Apr 25, 2010

Bob,

Good hearing from you. The story and photos of the Osa rifle are at Gun Digest with the editor. I showed him some of the photos at SHOT and he seemed excited about it. I've not heard back from him since I sent my stuff, including the Osa piece, in to him, except for a short note telling me he had them and thanking me for sending them in. I may hear nothing further until the book comes out, probably in late July. Anyway, I'll let you know when I hear something further.
-------------------------------------

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
One other quick note:

I FINALLY brought the rifle home last Friday from my gunsmith's shop. wink smile It's in beautiful shape/condition IMHO. I'll try to find some time to take a few photos of it. I'm not a very good photographer but I will see what I can do.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
i may have missed it along the way but can i ask how you went about finding this rifle for sale?
Something special about holding history in your hands.
I simply just stumbled across it. On another forum, someone started a thread showing the rifle for sale on one of the gun broker web sites. I went to the web site, looked at the listing, called the seller and bought it.

The strange thing was that I visited the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum in Chanute, Kansas on November 22, 2008. I bought the rifle on December 10, 2008.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Bob - thanks so much for sharing the info on "your" rifle and more. I didn't know anything about the Osa and Martin Johnson. What an awesome life they lived!

If I ever get to the area, I'll visit the museum, and who knows... with luck maybe I'll hunt Africa a bit too...

Great stuff, amazingly good photos!

Regards, Guy
What a wonderful find. Can't wait to see the new pics. reflex264
Mr. Faucett. I am hoping you do NOT in any way modify the Osa Johnson rifle. It's value is in who it belonged to and its condition in the shape it was when she owned it ANY, modification will destroy the collector value of it. If you even just drill and tap it, you have reduced it from being a collectible, interesting, rifle, for which you have what is called providence, to just another sporterized milirary mauser, worth about $295.00 at most gun shows. If you doubt this, go find the Mauser collectors site and ask there. I hate to see a wonderful firearm like this destroyed, values wise, by modifying it in any way. If you can't use it the way it is, either keep it for bragging rights, or sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. I hope you receive this before you do any modifications to the rifle. Modifications are like virginity, once taken, or in this case, done, can't be fixed, and destroys the value of the rifle.
ghost,

Dude, chill out. I'm not an ignorant rube. What made you think I was going to modify it in any way? [Linked Image] I fully appreciate the importance of preserving a piece of history (and a valuable firearm).

It is also my intention to someday donate it to the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum.

Both Terry Wieland and Dan Pedersen (of Classic Barrel and Gun works) have seen and handled the rifle since I acquired it. They both know a thing or two about collectible, original Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifles.

Oh, and by the way, it's provenance and not providence.

-Bob F.
Thank Christ there are still folks looking out for those of use less gifted..........

Still love this thread.
Steelhead,

I'm glad you're still enjoying the thread. smile

Cheers!! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
Originally Posted by ghost
Mr. Faucett. I am hoping you do NOT in any way modify the Osa Johnson rifle. It's value is in who it belonged to and its condition in the shape it was when she owned it ANY, modification will destroy the collector value of it. If you even just drill and tap it, you have reduced it from being a collectible, interesting, rifle, for which you have what is called providence, to just another sporterized milirary mauser, worth about $295.00 at most gun shows. If you doubt this, go find the Mauser collectors site and ask there. I hate to see a wonderful firearm like this destroyed, values wise, by modifying it in any way. If you can't use it the way it is, either keep it for bragging rights, or sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. I hope you receive this before you do any modifications to the rifle. Modifications are like virginity, once taken, or in this case, done, can't be fixed, and destroys the value of the rifle.

If your arrogant self would have taken the time ot actual READ this entire thread and Mr Faucet's coomentary about the rifle, you would see how UTTERLERLY assinine your post above truly is.

He showed a lot of grace and class in his reply. I would have told you to go soak your bloated head in a bucket of water.
All in all this has been a VERY classy thread. Right up there with few BEST I've read. And kudos to you Bob on your plans for Mrs Johnson's rifle.
Bob
I too have enjoyed this thread, so much so in it's initial stages that you set me on a path of research. I have purchased tapes, books, and done much internet research on the couple. They were really unique people who lived a life most of us can barely dream about. To say Osa was ahead of her time is an easy trap to fall into. There were many "liberated women" who took the bull by the horns and did what was required when it was required. Amelia Erhardt gets much credit, but Osa was an accomplished pilot as well as "movie star" of her day.

Besides her early successes she continued into old age as a noted conservationist. To own, and then donate one of her rifles back to the museum honouring the couple is an admirable jesture. I applaud you.

Randy
jim62,

Your reply to ghost brought a smile to my face and made my chuckle. grin Thanks for that!

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile
medicman,

It warms my heart that this thread helped inspire you to learn more about the Johnsons. As you stated, they lived an exciting life. I've found my reading and research (at the layman's level) about them to be very interesting and enjoyable. And, IMHO, the story of their lives and deeds is simply fascinating.

If you haven't read it already, you might want to pick up a copy of "They Married Adventure" by Pascal James Imperato. It's probably one of the definitive biographies of the Johnsons. It's still in print [Publisher: Rutgers University Press (March 1, 1999)] and is available at Amazon.com and other places.

Cheers!! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

[Linked Image]
Osa with George Eastman (founder of the Eastman Kodak Company and the inventor of roll film).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eastman

[Linked Image]
A woman always wants to look her best; even when out in the wilds of Africa! Notice the rifle on the left.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by hatari
Nice find. I started reading I Married Adventure just about a year ago, and finished it in two sittings. After that I grabbed [u]Bride of the Soloman's[/u. Fascinating!
This book can be had for $8.10 plus $2.95 shipping from the following site:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2321415262&searchurl=an%3DOsa%2BJohnson%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DI%2BMarried%2BAdventure%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

If you are into chick's with major league cahones, try West With the Night by Beryl Markham:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Beryl+Markham&sts=t&x=16&y=5 That can be had for $3.62 shipped to you.

FYI - I've ordered hundreds of books from www.abebooks.com with no problems.
Several of the Johnson's films are still available. I found a copy of their first feature length film (Simba) for $1000.00 (ouch) Many titles of their shorts are available via the Museum but don't know that prices.

Signed first editions of some of their books are available with prices from $79 to $1750.00
Without a doubt, this one of the finest threads in the history of the 'Fire.

Wonderful read, great rifle, amazing history.

THANK YOU!
Well, I finally got around to taking some photos of the rifle. smile

As I said above, I'm not a very good photographer and I only have a little Canon PowerShot A590IS camera. It's an 8 mega pixel camera that's a couple of years old. I did the best I could taking the photos. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice indeed! I would SO have to hunt that one.
Great photos. Sure with that rifle could talk.
NOTHING wrong with them pics at all! That is one FINE looking firearm. Evidently Osa not only knew how to use that rifle she also knew how to take care of it or saw that it was. Unbelievable condition. And like Steelhead,I have to hunt it. You a lucky guy to have it.
Asn has been said this is one of the most interesting posts on the Fire and I have enjoyed it imensley, especially now that you have been able to get som pic's up for us.Superb rifle that has got to go back to the field which we will want pic's of as well.

Von Gruff.
A truly GRAND rifle. I will support the movement to take that wonderful old rifle hunting. You simply must do that.
I'd likely get it drilled in tapped just to snap ole ghost....
i ain't even believein' that. LOL
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd likely get it drilled in tapped just to snap ole ghost....

You are SO bad!!! grin

-Bob F.
That would look real nice if you had one of them Cerakote finishes done.It would cover up all them old lookin' parts.
Originally Posted by dinsdale
That would look real nice if you had one of them Cerakote finishes done.It would cover up all them old lookin' parts.

[Linked Image]
Thank you for sharing the photos. I am happy someone who appreciates the rifle and its history owns it.
Randy
SSSSCCCCCHHHHHHWWWIIIIIIIIIING!!! laugh

Dat one makes me squirm in mine seat.... smile

Thanks Bob!!!

Ingwe
I've saved a bunch of the photos from this thread, just too cool for school.

Though if it were my rifle I would punch it AI.....
Cretin...

Heretic.....

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Cretin...

Heretic.....

grin
Ingwe

You forgot: Heathen, Misanthrope, Perverted, and Very Obama Like grin grin
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
and Very Obama Like ....

That was really low.....

even to call Steelhead...

Perverted, etc goes without saying, but that crosssed the line....... grin

wink
Ingwe
and Very Obama Like ....

That was really low.....

even to call Steelhead...

Perverted, etc goes without saying, but that crosssed the line....... grin

wink
Ingwe

Just trying to see if SH is paying attention grin
He's ignoring me tonite..I cut him out of my will...... whistle

Ingwe
Stunning. Truly stunning.

Thank you, and it is wonderful to see a rifle like that in the hands of someone who understands and appreciates the history behind it.

Oh, and you have to hunt that rifle. In Africa, if possible.
Osa holding the Mauser:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Think you could get that bolt helical fluted?
Wow. All I can say is that rifle and woman are freaking AWESOME! Wow!
Thanks for posting the pics. I love it. I am thinking about building a copy of that rifle. reflex264
reflex264
That is a great idea. How do you build in the use marks?:)
Randy
He's ignoring me tonite..I cut him out of my will...... whistle

Ingwe

He's off plotting against you grin
AWESOME pics!!! I especially like the night time camp one.
She just turned 16 when she married him, he was 26.

Should I end up in Kansas again I will most certainly find that museum
http://www.kansastravel.org/safarimuseum.htm
I love how petit the stalking rifle stocks were. Why must today�s handles have more in common with a 2X4 from Home Depot? I refinished my CZ 550 9.3 stock and now want to slim it even more, problem is it has 2 recoil bolts built in that really prevent me from removing more wood.

The condition really is excellent and the photos look just fine. Osa apparently even had proper screw drivers; as the screw heads look great and aren�t all buggered up. Love that nice grey patina old rust bluing takes on.

As others have said, you gotta� hunt that old gal!
reflex264
That is a great idea. How do you build in the use marks?:)
Randy

Hey Randy, you don't build in use marks. You put them there yourself. Actualy I have been talking to Charles Gatlin about building a 9.3x62 like that for a while. He got done with my .416 Taylor last year and I named this sort of project to him. He was interested in doing something like this. My .416 Taylor is a modern rifle built on a commercial mauser. He has done tons of conversions on military actions as well. Its only money. grin reflex264
One of the things I really enjoy about Osa's rifle is that it is chambered for the 9.3x62 cartridge. A few years before I even knew about Osa's Mauser, I hunted with my CZ 550 American, chambered in 9.3x62, on a plains game hunt in South Africa back in 2005. The 9.3x62 has become one of my favorite cartridges.

So, besides owning her rifle, I feel that Osa and I share a little something in common. We've both used the 9.3x62 in Africa. I get a real kick out of that. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.
My gosh what a rare find! I have been a fan of her's ever since I read her book years ago. I would have spent big money to have her rifle. Good for you! I can see you'll take good care of it, you're the kind of person who should have it. I'm not asking, but if you ever say what you paid for it, it will put me out of my misery. LOL
For me this is the absolute perfect combination of steel, wood, and caliber!!! What an awesome piece!!!!!! Thanks Bob for posting ALL the pics!!!!!!! They are great!

BN
Bob,
I thought Id share another Photo Of Osa I just bought.
Turns out she really did have good taste in rifles grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Grogel,

Thanks for posting that photo! Is that a Savage 99 or a Winchester 95 she's holding?

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Looks like a m99 Savage to me.
I do too see it as a 99

Randy
Savage 99!

Ahhh! The rifle of choice of another of my heros!

Roy Chapman Andrews! Used one on Saiga antelope and other game while on the Mongolian expedition!

BN
Grogel,

Thanks for posting that photo! Is that a Savage 99 or a Winchester 95 she's holding?

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Ive seen other Africa photos of Osa with a win lever action so I had to look close but that one is a 99.
My local library does not have a copy of 'I Married Adventure,' but I found a copy in another library in another city.

I requested it through my local library, and they got it for me yesterday.

I read several chapters last night and more this morning.
I purchased three of her books and they are written in the voice of somone who knows who they are, and who has integrity. I lended them to my mother in law who is 87 now. She was born in 1923, writes a weekly collumn, is working on two novels and has just published a memoirs of a war bride. Although she has never hunted Africa, she has nursed internationally and has developed into a real fan of Osa. She still walks 2 miles a day and keeps her own 4 bedroom home.

Bob
your start of this thread has introduced a new joy to an amazing woman, through an amazing woman.

Randy
Bob
your start of this thread has introduced a new joy to an amazing woman, through an amazing woman.

Randy

That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing that. [Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
I recently purchased three more original photos of Osa. Below are the scans from the seller's web site (with the seller's watermark on the scans). I thought some here might enjoy seeing them (even with the watermarks). After the photos arrive, I'll scan them and post better images of them on here.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
(Look closely and you'll see the Cape Buff in the grass.)

This thread just keeps getting better!
I ended up purchasing five original photos of Osa instead of three. The photos arrived today. Here's the scans of the photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

What a really cool thread, just now found it.

Early on JB posted about shooting some other rifles that belonged to famous folks. I think that would make a pretty worthy book project smile
Thank you for sharing! Very nice rifle!
Thanks for posting the new photos. I love them. reflex264
Agree. Outstanding!
Great pics and thread Bob!
hey, did you notice that both warthogs in your photo and the one with Osa's are VERY similar in size??!!
Cat
Do you know if they had a family? Those offspring would have stories of randpa and Grandma.

Randy
They never had children. Osa was survived by her mother. I can't remember right now when her mother died but it was several years after Osa's death. I can't recall from memory right now anything about Martin's family.

-Bob F.
Originally Posted by catnthehat
hey, did you notice that both warthogs in your photo and the one with Osa's are VERY similar in size??!!

Funny how that worked out, isn't it?!

-Bob F. grin
WOW great thread!!! Glad to see it in the hands of someone who truly appreciates it. I saw that future plans include donating the rifle to the museum, I think that's very generous and it will undoubtedly be a huge addition to their collection for all to enjoy..... but have to admit it saddens me a little to think of that ole gal sitting in a glass case in Kansas vs seeing more action in Africa and elsewhere. Any plans to hunt with it yet?

Great find and thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Stetson
Bob where is their final resting place? When we were on Maui last year we tried to make it to the far side well past Hana to see Charles Lindbergs grave. Unfortunatly severe storms the days before made it a bit of a rough trip in a rental car and we never made it quite that far.

I did make it to Lindbergs grave and wish I hadn't...worst road I ever drove on in a rental car or any car. BTW Lindbergs Winchester model 54 rifle in the "Air and Space" museum in D.C.

Doc
Well, I went a little crazy today and purchased a new rifle. It's described by the seller as:

"Winchester 1895 405 cal. TEXAS SPECIAL EDITION, 24 inch round barrel, case colored receiver and butt plate. Deluxe checkering, gold trigger, buckhorn rear sight, A+ fancy walnut. New in box with papers. Serial number: xxxxxTEX95"

Of course, this is one of the recent production rifles. I've never heard of a Winchester Model 1895 TEXAS SPECIAL EDITION before. Notice the "TEX95" in the serial number. I haven't got a clue as to when they were originally offered or why. Anyone have any info?

Anyway, I just couldn't stand seeing Osa with her 1895 in .405 Winchester any longer. I had to have one to play with. It should be fun to fool around with. Here's the seller's photos of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like I'll be needing to buy some cases, bullets and reloading dies fairly soon! I guess I'll have to just suffer through the ordeal!!... grin grin grin

Cheers! grin
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin smile
Damn!!!!! Those are nice Bob!!!!! I didn't know that's what those were?????? Teach me to pay more attention to things! Maybe had it been a Mauser I'd have paid better attention to the details!

We actually got one in used about 2 weeks ago. Set in the rack until today. As I was going to put an awesome and minty 1909 Argentine Mauser (that came in today), on hold in the bosses office tonight (yep for me!!!); I noticed someone had put the 95 on hold! It is a clean and very nice looking rifle!

Good catch Bob! And keep those pics coming!!!!!

Bob N.

Some photos from the book I Married Adventure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Awesome Bob, great thread and pic's.

Have you shot it yet? If not, you are much more patient than I am.
Some more photos of Osa with George Eastman (founder of the Eastman Kodak Company and the inventor of roll film):

[Linked Image]
Baking bread in camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Hey Bob,

GREAT pics as usual!!

Just wondering if you've found out anything about your 1895 Texas Special Edition? I've been all over the internet and can't find a thing. Even ran the ser# and NOTHING.
I have really enjoyed this thread and the great pictures. I happened up on a real jewel. How about Osa Johnson's book Jungle Friends signed by Mrs. Johnson? I am tickled to death with it. I collect books and this is one of my best catches. reflex264
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture of Osa that has not been previously posted and some might appreicate:

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/BE003302.html

Attached picture smallosa.jpg
Originally Posted by reflex264
I have really enjoyed this thread and the great pictures. I happened up on a real jewel. How about Osa Johnson's book Jungle Friends signed by Mrs. Johnson? I am tickled to death with it. I collect books and this is one of my best catches. reflex264

A signed copy! Yeah, I'm a little jealous! grin Good catch!

Would you mind taking a photo of the page she signed and posting it? I'd really like to see it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Originally Posted by reflex264

A signed copy! Yeah, I'm a little jealous! grin Good catch!

Would you mind taking a photo of the page she signed and posting it? I'd really like to see it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

I will be more than happy to as soon as it shows up. Can't wait to have it in my hands. reflex264
Bob,
If you looked across the street as you were getting your picture taken in front of the museum sign you were looking at 2 Victorian style homes. The second 3 story is my sister and BIL house so I've been through the museum a bunch. If you or any other campfire member gets down that direction and wants to get together just let me know. There is a family farm about 20 miles southeast of Chanute down by Moran where I'm from. If you would like to shoot a whitetail within 20 miles of that rifles home let me know and it will happen. It may be a big doe but it will happen. Very nice rifle cograts.
Best Regards
Doug
Doug,

Bob was thinking about coating said rifle. Perhaps you could give him professional assistance.

A good coating, along with a McSwirly (ask Steelhead for colour sceme) and a re - barrel to .375 Ruger it would be good to go.

Oh, not to forget drill/tab, and 20 MOA Pic-Base and Nichtforce 2,5-10x24 scope to get you out to 500 meters (just as the folding blades, just tacticool).

Would need a sidesafety with the timmney trigger...

If you people had any idea of the resistence my fingers were putting up writing the $hit above.

Treasure of a rifle - great it found a appreatiative home.

I second the notion - that rifle needs to be hunted. Preferably in Africa.

Would not be species appropriate keeping otherwise.
[Linked Image]
Coolness!!! [Linked Image] Thanks for posting it!

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile
Oh what an absolutely COOOOOL rifle! I want one!!!! jorge
Oh what an absolutely COOOOOL rifle! I want one!!!! jorge

Which one? Osa's Mauser or the Winchester 1895 that I recently purchased? [Linked Image]

Well, regardless, here's some photos that I took of the Model 1895 that I recently purchased:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/win405/osa-405-myscan-640x640.jpg[/img]

I still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. frown

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Originally Posted by cmg
Doug,

Bob was thinking about coating said rifle. Perhaps you could give him professional assistance.

A good coating, along with a McSwirly (ask Steelhead for colour sceme) and a re - barrel to .375 Ruger it would be good to go.

Oh, not to forget drill/tab, and 20 MOA Pic-Base and Nichtforce 2,5-10x24 scope to get you out to 500 meters (just as the folding blades, just tacticool).

[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
Originally Posted by rosco1
Have you shot it yet? If not, you are much more patient than I am.

No, I haven't shot it yet. I keep meaning to take it to the rifle range but I just haven't found the time to yet. Also, I want a friend of mine to go with me so she can take a couple of photos of me shooting it but our schedules just haven't worked out so far. But, I will shoot it when I get the chance and I will post some pics on here of me shooting it. Of course, she will also get a chance to shoot it. I'd bet that she will probably be the first female to shoot Osa's Mauser since Osa! smile

[Linked Image]

She likes to shoot her pistols but she's never shot a centerfire rifle before. Shooting Osa's Mauser wouldn't be a bad way for her to start!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Well both! but I just saw that 405 and I just have to have one now!
Bob Bob Bob
Do you intentionally try to drive us crazy with your classic rifles, or is it just a by product of your good fortune and contacts.

In awe and with jealousy
Randy
Well both! but I just saw that 405 and I just have to have one now!

Jorge,

I can tell that you're a gentleman of very discriminating taste! smile I guess it really is true that great minds do think alike! grin

Yeah, there's just something about a Winchester Model 1895 (whether original or recent production) that is rather appealing, IMHO, especially when chambered in .405 Winchester. I'm not much of a lever action rifle kind of guy but 1895 rifles just "trip my trigger" for some reason.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Well I just read all of this and had to go dig into my books. Sure enough there was the brown zebra pattern hard cover of "I married adventure". It was published in 1940 and said seventh impression (which I think means seventh printing). It leads to to the question, What are the new books "impression"? That was 70 years ago!
Bob Bob Bob
Do you intentionally try to drive us crazy with your classic rifles,...

Nah! grin It's just fun to share "stuff" with others!

All kidding aside, this thread has been a lot of fun for me. I'm just happy and pleased if some of my fellow Campfire members have also gotten some enjoyment from it.

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
Originally Posted by cmg
Doug,

[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

No problem on my end doing the work. I just hope Bob and I can still hunt and get on the campfire while we're in the Witness Protection Program. I think it would be our only chance of survival and rightly so.
Originally Posted by Doug_Burche
No problem on my end doing the work. I just hope Bob and I can still hunt and get on the campfire while we're in the Witness Protection Program. I think it would be our only chance of survival and rightly so.

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin grin
I like the old ones, whether Mauser, Husqvarna or Winchester, and whether they are truly old or modern repro's of them.

Here's the M95 version I have, though technically mine is a different number. Had the pic taken when we were getting them built by Winchester; this one ended up bought by a co-worker. We had 100 built, to celebrate 100 years of the Tongass National Forest:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It shoots pretty well, and I like it for a whole set of reasons.

Dennis
Thanks for the kind words Bob and I did look at the link you sent me, but YOUR 405's color case hardening sealed the deal for me! I just HAVE to find one like that now so if you come across one, let me know!
Originally Posted by muledeer
I like the old ones, whether Mauser, Husqvarna or Winchester, and whether they are truly old or modern repro's of them.

Here's the M95 version I have, though technically mine is a different number. Had the pic taken when we were getting them built by Winchester; this one ended up bought by a co-worker. We had 100 built, to celebrate 100 years of the Tongass National Forest:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It shoots pretty well, and I like it for a whole set of reasons.

Dennis

That is one gorgeous rifle. cool
That is one gorgeous rifle. cool

+1 !!! [Linked Image]

"The Alexander Archipelago Forest Reserve was established by Theodore Roosevelt in a presidential proclamation of 20 August 1902. Another presidential proclamation made by Roosevelt, on 10 September 1907, created the Tongass National Forest. On 1 July 1908, the two forests were joined, with the combined forest area encompassing most of southeast Alaska. Further presidential proclamations of 16 February 1909 (in the last months of the Roosevelt administration) and 10 June, and in 1925 (by Calvin Coolidge) expanded the National Forest."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongass_National_Forest

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.
Read your comments and thought you might like it, and others like it as well smile. Glad you all do...

Dennis
Currently fishing and scouting for this Fall's elk here in Colorado. Leaving in the morning for a trip backto Texas thru Kansas. HOPING to stop at the Johnson museum tomorrow!!!!

Kaywoodie
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Currently fishing and scouting for this Fall's elk here in Colorado. Leaving in the morning for a trip backto Texas thru Kansas. HOPING to stop at the Johnson museum tomorrow!!!!

I hope you get a chance to stop at the museum. The museum is small, so try not to be too disappointed, but it's worth a visit. I hope you take some photos and post some on here!

Cheers!
-Bob F.
I hope this isn't out of line, but thought some might be interested in more .405 photo's.

This one is of a gal at the SCI Ozark chapter event the 26th of June this year shooting my son's .405 Take Down.

[Linked Image]

She also shot my model 70's in .375 H&H, .416 Remington, and .458 Winchester. She also shot my unfinished .416 Taylor Czech BRNO with the military stock and steel butt plate, and my wife's .500 Linebaugh.

All rifle rounds were loaded with cast bullets running around 2,150 to 2,200 fps and the Linebaugh's were going about 850 with a 450 grain bullet so the recoil wasn't too bad for any of them.

We thought of the Safari Museum when we reach Nebraska going back home, dang it. I watch Simba once or twice a year.

This photo is of my son Tyler shooting the unfinished Taylor.

[Linked Image]

This is Tyler a couple of years ago with a turkey he took with the .405.

[Linked Image]

He took this deer the same day about two hours after the turkey.

[Linked Image]

Both kills were running shots which I got a kick out of. Both dropped like a rock. The .405 could have been a bit hard on the turkey but the shot was low so it didn't do too bad. Wish I'da had a video camera with me to capture it all on the move, but at least I had the still photos.

David
Well Bob like my wife says, you are a bad influence. Picked this one up today for a decent price:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I'm a BAAADDDD boy! grin It's always fun helping someone spend THEIR money!! grin

I can tell that we are probably going to be swapping load recipes for our new rifles!

Congrats on the new rifle! It's always fun to get a new toy to play with. [Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Originally Posted by Paladin
I hope this isn't out of line, but thought some might be interested in more .405 photo's.

Not out of line at all, IMHO! Besides, Osa shot an 1895 in .405 Winchester so I think your pics are right in line with the theme of this thread. [Linked Image] I always enjoy seeing photos of Model 1895s in use; especially ones in .405 Winchester! Geee... I guess a .405 will actually take game after all! Who'd uh thunk it?! grin grin grin

BTW, I like Tyler's taste in hats! smile

Gotta admire that gal for shooting all of those rifles. She has grit and spunk!

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Cheers!
-Bob F. [Linked Image]
Very cool...can you put a larger photo of the receiver? Curious about what it is.

Thanks...

Dennis
muledeer,

I know your question was directed to jorge but I thought I would try to help him out a little. smile Here's the best I could do by enlarging the pic that jorge posted:

[Linked Image]

Not the best pic but at least it gives an idea of what's on the receiver.

I'm sure jorge will be more than happy to take some photos of his new rifle, and share them with us, once he receives it! grin

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I'm a BAAADDDD boy! grin It's always fun helping someone spend THEIR money!! grin

I can tell that we are probably going to be swapping load recipes for our new rifles!

Congrats on the new rifle! It's always fun to get a new toy to play with. [Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

I heard RL-15 and the 300gr TSX @ 2200 is the way to go. The TSX helps offset the poor SD of the 405. jorge
Alright, now you have to bring it up so we can wring it out at the range. Nice work!!!
grinHatari, Jorge still thinks we did him a favor grin Betcha he thinks we're nice guys too! grin
Oh yeah the nicest! Now my wife thinks y'all are a bunch of juveniles...kinda like me!
grin grinThe Lady whose rifles are the subject of this thread would LOVE this crew! grin Professional small boys club. Spanky's club!! HMWHC grin
[Linked Image]
I thought some here might enjoy seeing these scans.

From the 1936 catalog of ICI / Eley / Kynoch:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Way cool Bob! BTW, running a bid on the Johnson's book...thanks... smile
Here are some better pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Say, that is snazzy! Very nice. [Linked Image] Thanks for posting the pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Well not so fast. I took the rifle out of the box and it's the wromg friggin' gun. It's the TR 150th Anniversary and not the African 100th Anniversary. Don't know if I'm going to keep it or send it back. Gorgeous rifle though.
It's beautiful...don't think I could get rid of it once I had it...kinda like my "Alaskan" version... grin.

Dennis
Well not so fast. I took the rifle out of the box and it's the wromg friggin' gun. It's the TR 150th Anniversary and not the African 100th Anniversary. Don't know if I'm going to keep it or send it back. Gorgeous rifle though.

Uh oh.... Well shoot!

Here's a couple of photos of the Winchester Model 1895 High Grade .405 Win TR 150th Anniversary model:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Photos from:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-Model-1895-High-Grade-405-Win.cfm?gun_id=100096064

And for comparison, here's a couple of photos of the Winchester Model 1895 High Grade .405 Win TR Safari Commemorative model:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Photos from:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wi...-Grade-405-Win-New-.cfm?gun_id=100114101

Personally, I think they are both very nice. Frankly, I think I prefer the looks of the first one (the TR 150th Anniversary model).

-Bob F.

You guys aren't gonna shoot those rifles are you? Those are just for admiring.
You're darned right I'm going to shoot them! Which one do you guys like best?
I like the TR 150th Anniversary model the best of the two.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Good taste Bob, it's still tough making a choice...
I'd buy it off of you, but the memory lingers...............

(BTW Beautiful gun.)

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
You guys aren't gonna shoot those rifles are you? Those are just for admiring.

grinYa have a Harley ya ride it, ya don't look at it. Ya have a gorgeous woman ya do immoral things with her frequently,not just look at her. Y have a fine hunting rifle, ya hunt wid it! grin I hunt with an original Sharps Buffalo gun. Jorge hunts with a gorgeous Shiloh Sharps Buffalo rifle. Don't insult TR by sayin' not ta hunt with a rifle with HIS name and picture on it!! grin
So which one do you like better ET and Hatari? The TR 150th is growing on my by the minute, but the one with the African animals, well you know!
I don't HAVE a "better" between the two!!! Either one hangin' out with the Sharps would send me somewhere to kill something with both!
Well, Cmdr, I know your love of the Dark Continent, so my pick is for the African.
Ginger or Mary Ann?
In his case Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield? Plenty of horsepower to go around.
Just for yo ET, check out the El Paso Saddlery porn smile

[Linked Image]
He's salivating.........Time for a cold shower.

Like the stag horn on the 1911. Colt?
grinMan, that is some FINE lookin' iron and leather there Brother!!! grin
Colt 1927 (Argentine). Well I have till Monday to decide I guess...
Well, Cmdr, I know your love of the Dark Continent, so my pick is for the African.
Ginger or Mary Ann?
In his case Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield? Plenty of horsepower to go around.

Ginger of course, but if you know me, you know which blonde I'd pick... smile

The African one will be here Thursday I think. Then I can compare them both and pick one.
Well men, the Safari Centennial is on the way. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know which one I keep....Oh! Bob, I won the bid on Ebay on one of the Johnson's books for 35 bucks. jorge
The TR 150th is growing on my by the minute, but the one with the African animals, well you know!

Yeah, it's a tough call IMHO. I like the overall looks of the 150th model better BUT I definitely much prefer the African animals on the Centennial Safari model. [Linked Image]

Well, shoot.... I've changed my mind. crazy TR made the Model 1895 and .405 Winchester famous by using it in Africa; not in North America. If I were going to buy one of these two models for myself I think that would be the deciding factor for me. Considering your love of Africa I think you ought to go with the Centennial Safari model. smile [Linked Image]

Just my two cents... The choice, of course, is up to you. The model that makes YOU happy is the right choice for you!

Cheers, my friend! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

[Linked Image]

Oh! Bob, I won the bid on Ebay on one of the Johnson's books for 35 bucks. jorge

Hey! Cool deal! Which title is it? "I Married Adventure" is excellent but my favorite, of the books authored by Osa (as opposed to Martin), is "Four Years in Paradise".

Oh heck.... You need to own and read both of them!!! smile

Cheers!
-Bob F.

I hope you get a chance to stop at the museum. The museum is small, so try not to be too disappointed, but it's worth a visit. I hope you take some photos and post some on here!

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Well.... Made it home from the trip last night and didn't get to stop at the museum. The horrors of traveling with two 80+ y.o. ladies (mother & her sister)....... Please don't ask for the details! cry

Well,,, there's alway the trip back from elk hunting this fall.....

Bob N.
Well it'll be here Wednesday afternoon! You and Hatari are of the same mind set, go with Africa. Let you know then!
I've got "Bride of the Solomons", I Married Adventure" and "Four Years in Paradise". Unbelievable, all of them. Great reads. The stories of the interaction with Cannibals is stuff of fiction.
I bought I Married Adventure, looking for the other one now.
Found "Bride OTS" for you. PM sent
ordered it smile
I bought I Married Adventure, looking for the other one now.

Try this:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...ts=t&tn=four+years&x=70&y=12

This search (link above) is for original, hardcover First Editions only of Four Years In Paradise. At the time of my post here, there are a couple of copies of Four Years In Paradise listed at reasonable prices.

BTW, I've used ABE for several years and have NEVER had a problem with a seller or the book(s) I purchased not matching the condition and/or description given by the seller. (Of course it is always a good idea to check a particular seller's "Bookseller Rating" shown on the ABE website.)

Cheers!
-Bob F.
just bought Bride of the Solomons
Well heck, an educated fella can never have too many books!! smile

Seriously, be sure to pick up a copy of "Four Years In Paradise" when you get a chance.

Cheers! smile
-Bob F.
Bob,

At the time of my post here, there are a couple copies of Four Years In Paradise listed at reasonable prices.

You talked me into buying a copy of Four Years in Paradise so there's one less.

David
That'll be my next purchase for sure! thanks, Bob!
Originally Posted by Paladin
Bob,

You talked me into buying a copy of Four Years in Paradise so there's one less.

David

[Linked Image]

I think you'll really enjoy it! Just keep in mind that Osa's books are not written from the perspective of a sport/safari hunter in Africa. They are not pure hunting books that many of us enjoy and are familiar with. Still, I believe her books tell a fascinating story about her and Martin's time spent in Africa. I think anyone interested in Africana and safaris from the "golden age" will enjoy reading her books.

Cheers! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile
Thanks Bob, I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

As I mentioned earlier, I enjoy watching Simba every so often. Having never been to Africa, the adventure the Johnson's experienced is something I have in my minds eye that will be when I finally get there. That Africa is gone forever, and it's a shame, but the world changes whether we like it or not.

When I finally get there, I'll use my imagination to cast myself back to a day that will never be again.

Thanks again,
David
LOP on those rifles looks a little long for the spunky chick.
I thought the same thing in a couple of the pics.

Von Gruff.
Well men, the Safari Centennial is on the way. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you know which one I keep.... jorge

A little bird told me that Jorge has received the Safari Centennial rifle and has made a decision as to which model to keep. Maybe Jorge will chime in and give us an update!

-Bob F. grin
Yessir boys, going to keep the Safari Centennial, but the 150th is going to a great cause. Pugs and I (his idea) are going to give it our good buddy who retires from the Navy in September after thirty years of service. So you see, what goes around comes around. My dear friend Evil Twin gave me a Sharps and now we reciprocate. Karma baby! jorge
What a wonderful idea! That's very generous of you guys, too! I bet he'll be thrilled!

"Pay it forward......" [Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

grinI just KNEW that Sharps had found its real Master grinHopefully I will get to meet the recipient of the Winchester too!!! grin Hint: I hadta give Jorge the edge grin He wuz a Grunt before he wuz a blowtorch jockey grin
Yessir boys, going to keep the Safari Centennial, but the 150th is going to a great cause. Pugs and I (his idea) are going to give it our good buddy who retires from the Navy in September after thirty years of service. So you see, what goes around comes around. My dear friend Evil Twin gave me a Sharps and now we reciprocate. Karma baby! jorge

I assume this is going to Zeke. Like you three need an excuse for excess drinking, story fabrication, and a just a general good time? God help the locals!
You assume correctly sir. Excuses for aforementioned? hell, it's a way of life! smile

Sitting here playing with the toy. Man that rebounding hammer/safety PCshit has GOT to go! Lovely rifle though and I managed to score some TR Anniversary Winchester ammon on sale as well.
Well guys been working the 405 hard coming up with a suitable load. Been using RL-15 powder as that was the best powder recommended. Used 300gr Woodleighs and TSXs. Finally settled on the TSXs and right at 2250 fps duplicating original factory specs. THe factory Hornady and Winchesters shoot a bit faster (2280s) and the Woodleighs a bit more accurate, but given the rounds lousy SD I settled on the TSXs to maximize penetration. THe TSXs are holding consisten 2 3/4" three shot groups@ 100. Funny thing about the Woodleighs, velocity seemed to top out in the 2180s no matter how much powder from about 53.5 to 55.5gr of RL-15. The TSXs in turn responded nicely with 30 fps increments per half grain of powder. I've also ordered a Lee Custom Factory Crimp Die as this has shown to tighten groups in all the other calibers I've used. jorge
Well guys, I have some disappointing news.

From my post back on 12/27/09:

I left the rifle at Todd's shop so that a well-known gun writer could see, handle, and take photos of it. He and I have been corresponding for the last year or so concerning an article that he is doing on the rifle. (It does take time for a gun writer to get a publisher interested in the subject matter, do research, take photos and write an article!) Now, I can't say much more than that at this time. But, I believe that in 2010 you'll be able to buy a new issue of a publication that will feature an article on Osa's rifle.

Don't worry..... When I get the "go ahead" from the author, I will be sure to post on here the name of the publication and when it will be available.

So... Be sure to stay tuned......

-Bob F.

Well the article wasn't accepted for publication; it apparently didn't make the editorial cut. Recent emails:

-------------------------------------------
To: [name deleted for his privacy]
Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Well, I looked through the table of contents (via Amazon) of the new Gun Digest 2011 and I didn't see an article about Osa's Mauser rifle. I guess it didn't make the editorial cut for publication. Oh well.... I just wanted to verify with you that that was the case.

Thanks!
Bob Faucett

To: Bob Faucett
Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Bob,

Yep, I saw that. Don't know what happened as I've not heard a word from Dan. It could be that he just ran out of room for more material. I'll let you know what happened when I speak with Dan.

Cheers,
[name deleted for his privacy]

I hope the gun writer doesn't mind me posting these emails on here concerning the article. I have deleted his name, from the emails I posted above, for his privacy. We were both excited about this project and the article. I'm hoping he can sell the article to another publication but he hasn't mentioned anything along those lines to me at this time.

And so it goes.....

-Bob F.
I'm REALLY SORRY to hear that.

I don't if this will help but if anyone who reads this thread can make a difference I for one would REALLY LIKE to see that article published.
This is a really cool thread, thoroughly enjoyed it (just a little late finding it!)
For those who were collecting books by the Johnson's, I have a copy of "Camera Trails in Africa" by Martin Johnson. Believe it's the 1st Printing hardcover (Century Books, 1924) in nice shape (unmarked) w/o dust cover. It is dedicated to Osa, which states, in part, "Osa has stood by me in every emergency. In Africa, she saved my life from the elephants of Lake Paradise. She has never failed me. And - what counts most - she likes it all!"
I'd be happy to send it no charge to whomever wants it (1st choice to Mr. Faucett, since he started this thing).
Just PM me an address.

elkjaeger
Well heck!!! What a deal! PM sent.

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin
Book going to Bob to fill a hole in his collection!

elkjaeger
Finally, I sat down, poured myself a drink and read all 33 pages...congrats to Mr. Faucett on a fine rifle, and also, I must say, this is the campfire at it's best.
I can't believe that no one was interested in Osa's story and the rifle. It seems like just about every hunting and fishing TV show and magazine out there can't find enough ways to showcase women. That would have made a great story, maybe they'll reconsider and run in later on.
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter. It took me twenty years to read up on them.
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I can't believe that no one was interested in Osa's story and the rifle. It seems like just about every hunting and fishing TV show and magazine out there can't find enough ways to showcase women. That would have made a great story, maybe they'll reconsider and run in later on.

Well, I do have some good news! I received this email from the article's author back in August. I just forgot to post an update on here.

--------------------------------
to: Bob Faucett
date: Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM
subject: Osa 9.3

Bob,

I had an exchange of e-mails today with Dan, the editor of Gun Digest. My suspicions were correct. He ran out of pages in the book and rescheduled the Osa piece for Gun Digest 2012. I don't really have a problem with that. I really think that Gun Digest is the best venue for the piece on Osa and her rifle. Let me know what you think.

--------------------------------

The author sent me a copy (via email) of the article so I've already read it though, obviously, I can't post it here. I have to say that I think he did a very good job.

Well, it's a shame we'll have to wait another year to see the article in print but at least it looks like it is going to be published! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
Good taste is rifles! smile
Thank you Gentlemen....for an enjoyable read.
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter.

Me too!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile
These particular rifles from Chas. A Heyer and co. are very hard to find any information on, I own a rifle almost identical to yours, except did not get as lucky on original condition, mine is drilled and tapped, and has been bored to 9.3x338, but otherwise is identical, they are a fine piece of history. I have looked long and hard to find the maker of these rifles, if they came from mauser, or were farmed out to a custom gunmaker, but have really found nothing. Any information that you have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Derek
My introduction to Osa and Martin was Ruark's reference in Horn of the Hunter. �

I fell in love with Osa (and both admired and envied Martin!) in 1940�1941. Still have a first edition of her classic I Married Adventure, in very good condition. I first read the copy that I'd borrowed from the Wheelwright, KY, public library but of course had to have a copy of my own to cherish. Heady stuff for a preteen! Since both my reading days and my breathing days are on the wane, it's available for some younger hunter-adventurer to fall in love with a very classy hot lady.
Ken,
I noticed your offer of the book by Osa Johnson to a younger adventurer and would like the opportunity to purchase the book from you. I am 50 so not so young but planning my families first trip to Africa for next June and would like to read her book before I go. I also have put together a 9.3x62 that may be going along but not sure on that yet. You may send a private email to me if you wish to [email protected]
Thank you sir.
Les
You notice she's holding a FLYROD! Also she's an accomplished camp cook. I see why Mr. Howell feels he is in love again!
Somebody want to send me a copy of their airplanes? smile I could use a Sikorsky, 38 or 39, no preference!
She truly was a priceless treasure. Well ahead of her time as a well rounded adventurer.
Originally Posted by labdad
Somebody want to send me a copy of their airplanes? smile I could use a Sikorsky, 38 or 39, no preference!

I think you'll enjoy this video. My web server does not support video streaming so you'll need to wait for the file to download before you can view it. It's about a 40 meg file. It's worth the wait to download it!

Jimmy Buffett Flies Her
A fully restored Sikorsky S-38 named "Osa's Ark".
(It's not the original "Osa's Ark" but it is a genuine S-38.)

http://www.bunduki.com/bob/mp4/Jimmy_Flies_Her_S-38.mp4

Crank up your speakers and listen to those twin radial engines roar and purr!!! smile [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!! grin
-Bob F.
There are a couple of Osa Ark recreation S 38's on you tube.....

These guys are flying all over the world with their restored one;

http://unlimitedadventure.com/

If you click on Osa's Ark you can see a pic of the giraffe paint job S 39 and the zebra 38 together.

Cool stuff in this thread always good when it gets kicked to the top.

definitely one of the top 20 threads of this site maybe top 10.....it should be bumped from time to time....great pics, great history....
Originally Posted by rattler

definitely one of the top 20 threads of this site maybe top 10.....it should be bumped from time to time....great pics, great history....

Thanks for that. It, quite frankly, surprises me that this thread is still getting some attention after several years!

[Linked Image]

From earlier in 2011 from the Chanute, Kansas newspaper:

[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

Why? It is the way most of us remember being introduced to Africa in our youths. They really were quite a remarkable coule.
Thing of beauty!
Why? It is the way most of us remember being introduced to Africa in our youths. They really were quite a remarkable coule.

Oh well.... You know how it is.... Things on the Internet have a way of being very temporary and transient. Quite frankly, it warms my old heart to see that some folks here are still interested in this thread and its topic.

Small update: Osa's Mauser rifle is still safely in my possession but, sadly, I haven't shot it yet even after all this time. frown I've just had other things on my mind such as the sorry economy and worries about my job. Such is life.... frown

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

SEPTEMBER 2011 WATER LEAK/FLOODING & COLLECTION RESTORATION PROJECT

"On Sept 24th the Safari Museum suffered water damage and flooding from the Santa Fe Depot's third floor humidification system. The first store-bought dress Osa ever owned, and the one that was purchased 100 years ago on her honeymoon with Martin Johnson, was damaged in this incident. Molly Winder, a Chanute native and gifted seamstress, had been making fine repairs to the dress. The plan had been that after Molly finished, the dress would be sent away for an archival cleaning and additional lace restoration. The dress has undergone archival cleaning now and has been assessed sound enough for Molly to continue her restoration efforts.

Funds for this initial restoration project and now for the cleaning of the artifact are provided by the interest from our museum endowment. Thank you to all the many donors and sponsors who have contributed to the operations of the museum to help us conserve the life story and legacy of Martin and Osa Johnson. Also thank you to all the volunteers who helped move artifacts and books out of harms way during this water leak and the subsequent flooding that followed it."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Folks, please try to support the museum.... Thanks.

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

Wow, first time I've seen this thread, also first time I've heard anything about the Johnson's; read through all 35 pages in one sitting. All I can say is very interesting & I am sincerely going to try & get my hands on their books (as funds allow).

Bob F, I don't recall you mentioning what work was done to the rifle? Was it just a cleanup?

Regards.
I have a rifle that has been rechambered to 9.3x338 which totally ruins the historic value but it has the exact writing on the barrel and same sights. Shoots very tight groups but I have no need for it since I have a 9.3x62 ,375 HH and several more heavy caliber rifles. To bad it was rechambered and drilled and tapped but it is what it is.
Originally Posted by Redhawk75

Bob F, I don't recall you mentioning what work was done to the rifle? Was it just a cleanup?

Regards.

Yeah, that's basically it. Nothing was done that would detract from the collector value or historical importance / significance of the rifle. A good cleaning of the metal, repair of some oil damaged wood (in the internal stock inletting), the end cap was coming unglued and that was repaired, a good cleaning of the stock... those types of things.

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Bob,

By the way, I haven't seen mention of it, but the story is in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

TT
Originally Posted by tsquare
Bob,

By the way, I haven't seen mention of it, but the story is in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

TT

Hey! Thank you very much for that heads up!! I had kind of forgotten that the article was supposed to be published in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. I didn't realize the new edition was out. I'll have to get a copy.

Again, much thanks for that info! Most appreciated!!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

Bob
I will have to get the Digest too. Way too interesting a rifle and a life to let go unwritten or unremembered.
Resurrecting this thread to say thanks again for the pictures.

I've been asking around for pictures of classic 'tween-the-wars Mauser sporting rifles and this Type A is about the most definitive one I've found.

I saved these pictures and am going to take them to a stockmaker to see how close he can come to this for stocking the left hand Zastava Mausers a bunch of us are getting. The finished product won't do full justice to this genuine Oberndorf but perhaps the use of it as a pattern will offer due homage to its memory. wink
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Without a doubt, this one of the finest threads in the history of the 'Fire.

Wonderful read, great rifle, amazing history.

THANK YOU!

Without a doubt..
yep this is prolly my favorite real hunting or rifle thread on the whole site, i bought the copy of Gun Digest especially cause i wanted the article on this rifle....
I enjoyed reading this thread. What a treasure that rifle is. I was aware of the Johnsons from my interest in photography and reading about safaris. I knew nothing about their origins or when they passed so this has been both educational and quite interesting. I agree with several who think this is the best thread on the whole site.
Great thread. I hope this rifle doesn't become a safe queen. Guns were made to be used, and there's nothing worse than seeing a fine rifle languish over worry if it might get a few dings and scratches.
Bob,

Don't forget about me if you decide to sell it. My daughter is a huge Osa fan and she'd love to shoot her first buff with that rifle!
Bob,

Thank you for this thread! I just finished Osa's book, "I Married Adventure" (first edition copy) and am still in awe of the things that she and Martin were able to accomplish.

As to the rifle, I am glad that you are keeping it "as is". From her book, it is not always clear which rifle she preferred, but there were several double rifles in .450 cal as well as magazine rifles mentioned.

She was evidently quite a good shot as she was responsible for obtaining quite a bit of the camp meat and stopped several charges of DG while Martin filmed.

A remarkable woman in a remarkable time.

Ed
It truly warms my old heart that this thread is still being read and receiving a "bump" after I started this thread several years ago.

Thanks to all for your most kind remarks and comments! smile

The rifle is still safely in my possession although I have to very shamefully confess that I haven't shot it yet even after all these years. (Hanging my head in shame.)

Regardless, I'm very happy that folks are still enjoying this thread about Osa and one of her rifles.

Cheers!

Most sincerely,
-Bob F. smile
The rifle is still safely in my possession although I have to very shamefully confess that I haven't shot it yet even after all these years. (Hanging my head in shame.)

Ye Gods, Bob!

Find out when Osa's next birthday is, then set aside this date to shoot that rifle!

Take pictures for us. Post them here! grin

John

Very nice rifle, but by God that was one hell of a woman!
Bob: Maybe you should poat some more pics of the rifle! smile
Yep! We definitely need updated pics!
I cannot believe I am just finding this thread. I have to agree, it's one of the best threads ever on the campfire. What a great couple they were. I will be getting those books and DVD's from the museum for my winter reading and watching.

Mart
Thank you all for such an excellent, excellent thread!

Brings to memory some verses of the poet Jorge Manrique (1440-1479)...

How fain is memory to measure
Each latter day inferior
To those of old.

Alvaro

I too would like to see more of the Mauser. Thanks for a great thread.
This is a great thread.
Originally Posted by jpb

Ye Gods, Bob!

Find out when Osa's next birthday is, then set aside this date to shoot that rifle!

Take pictures for us. Post them here! grin

John

Osa Leighty Johnson, Birth: Mar. 14, 1894 Chanute Neosho County Kansas, USA: Death: Jan. 7, 1953 New York New York, USA

Ed
yeah i know old thread BUT:

#1 its a hell of a thread, one of the best on the 'fire and
#2 i see Tom Turpin has an article about the rifle in the Winter 2013 African Hunting Gazette that showed up in my mailbox today grin
I liked this one too.
Enjoyed reading through this thread once again.

#2 i see Tom Turpin has an article about the rifle in the Winter 2013 African Hunting Gazette that showed up in my mailbox today grin

Thanks for bumping it up Rattler, I missed it when it was originally posted. A very worthy read.

Originally Posted by Fjold

Thanks for bumping it up Rattler, I missed it when it was originally posted. A very worthy read.

no problem.....was debating whether to start a new thread or bump this one and when i saw it had been over a year since its been brought up i figured best to bump it rather than risk loosing it laugh
Great thread, I remember the first time too.
BTE on the African Forums in my opinion
I miss this thread! Was thinking about it the other day! the quinessential african rifle for sure! Thanks for bump! Osa is wifey's hero!!! Has her pic in her bedroom!!!

Bob
Just so we don't have to go all the way back to find the photo's, check it out. Beautiful! What a story!!

I purchased this rifle from the seller on December 10. I'll probably receive it in the next 2 or 3 weeks. In the meantime, I thought I would post the seller's description of the rifle and the seller's photos. When the rifle comes in I'll take some new photos and post them.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Dec 10, 2008
Category: Rifles - African Dangerous Game Magazine - Mauser Rifles Sporters Pre War
Title: Osa Johnson's 9.3x62 Type A Mauser
Description:
This is a highly desirable Oberndorf Mauser Type A in 9.3 X 62 owned by the famous explorer and film maker, Osa Johnson. Together with her husband Martin Johnson, she pretty much invented the wildlife documentary. Her book, "I Married Adventure", was made into a movie in 1940 starring Mrs. Johnson as herself. Google Osa to learn more about her life and the museum devoted to her exploits. Rifle is inlaid in platinum on the barrel, "Specially made for Chas. Heyer & Co. Nairobi". Comes with letter from auction house that handled her estate at the time of her death in 1953, identifying this rifle by serial number.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.geh.org/ar/strip37/m198512580084.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.safarimuseum.com/logos/safari_title_o.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/m_o-onserengeti.small.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/chanute1/IMG_0057-640x480.jpg[/img]
Little ol' me on my recent visit to the museum.
(photo taken on November 22, 2008)
Thanks for the bump. Thought about her recently while shooting my 9.3x62. Classic rifle classy woman. Pin up girl for the fire.
Great bump.
"I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson is a must read IMHO.
Originally Posted by Boise
"I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson is a must read IMHO.

Yeah! And I found a first edition at the Savers store! Think it was 50 cents!!!
Try Bride of the Solomons!
Bride in the Solomons by Osa Johnson[u][/u]

Numerous copies on abebooks.com
I don't know what I could add praising this thread beyond what has already been said. I did ask Rick to pin it so it will reside prominently at the top.

Mike
A Mannlicher 9.5x57 that may have been used by Osa rests in my rack. The rifle came to me 25 years ago via an old dealer who recollected that he acquired it from a relative of Martin or Osa's. This relative may have resided in the San Francisco bay area in the 60's or 70's.
It's a 1910 carbine with short barrel and otherwise normal stock lop.
My friend recalled that the relative also possessed a picture of Osa with the rifle and a lion and that it was in an old Stoegers catalog.
I intend to give the rifle to the museum one of these days if I can confirm Osa's ownership. You Martin and Osa aficionados, HELP!
Try Bride of the Solomons!

Bought it, read it, but didn't find much in the way of hunting only a few passing comments about shooting mostly birds. I enjoyed "I Married Adventure" far more.
No real hunting, but a fabulous TRUE story. I Married Adventure is great!
Time for a re-up on this thread..........
One of the best threads on The Campfire. Reading the Johnson's books had a lot to do with me buying a 9.3x62. Great stuff!

RS
I miss BF's posts here...
Hot damn!Going to spend time reading all this.I miss hunting Africa.
Just found this thread and don't know how I missed it. I bet that 9.3x62 points like your finger! Thanks for sharing, Bob!
I stopped by here today and I was amazed to see that this thread had been bumped back up!

Here's some more photos, this time concentrating on the airplanes. It's getting difficult for me to remember which photos I've posted and which ones I haven't so please forgive me if there are some repeats.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wonder if that's her Mauser?

[img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/osa/osa_on_camel_POS57.jpg[/img]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

WELCOME BACK! laugh

Great photos of a world now past.
The "chuck wagon":

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Early taco truck. whistle
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. smile

Originally Posted by luv2safari
WELCOME BACK! laugh

Great photos of a world now past.

Thanks for that. [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile
Thanks for posting the images. That lady lived more life in those years than most could do in 4 lifetimes.
Great, great photos! This is perhaps mt favorite thread in 11 years here. So glad you added to it. Thanks!
Great addition to the thread Bob!
"Osa Johnson: The Woman Time Forgot"

video

Published on Jul 5, 2012
A collegiate student documentary sharing the story of Martin and Osa Johnson; Chanute, Kansas natives and famed explorers/filmographers. Produced by Pamela Peters and Kristen Livingston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-U_5Q4CHlM

I HIGHLY recommend that folks here watch this video!

-Bob F. smile

Thanks Bob!!!! What awesome photos! I really enjoyed them. I will try to share them with the wife tomorrow!
Bob, where is the museum located? Thanks--- Mel
The museum is located in Chanute, Kansas.

-Bob F. smile

Great to see you back, Bob! Great pictures as usual. Man how I would have loved to have done that flying safari! There is an interesting anecdote about that safari and she relates the story in one of her book. They were lost and almost out of gas when they found a large lake with a huge mansion next to it in the middle of nowhere. There is a book called The Africa House and it's a great read:
The Africa House

-Bob F. smile

Thanks Bob, We'll be traveling in the area sometime this spring and will try to stop in. See was an awesome lady. I wish I could have had half of her experience. --- Mel
[Linked Image]

Leslie Tarlton, old time African pioneer in the Safari trade out of Nairobi. I found this on the Donald Young site:

"The original Newland & Tarlton was founded in Nairobi Kenya in 1904. Victor Newland & Leslie Tarlton were the true pioneers of luxury safaris in Africa: inventing the concept of professionally organized tented safaris led by the finest guides and best camp crews. Their passion for excellence re-defined the Swahili word SAFARI and made it synonymous with stylish luxury and romantic adventure. Newland and Tarlton invented the concept of safari as we know it today and brought the “Golden Age’ of travel to Africa.

Newland & Tarlton’s clients included the Duke of Connaught, the Marquis of Waterford, Carl Akeley of the Field Museum, President Teddy Roosevelt and many others. Today, as during the “Golden Age of Travel,” Newland, Tarlton & Co. still set the standards for excellence and the true safari experience. "

-Bob F. smile

I've traveled through Chanute probably four times..Like a lot of places I learn too late what could have been seen there.
Great Story, rifle and life.

Best wishes.

The "T
This is a great story. LOVE the pictures and history. Need to see some more pictures of this great old mauser
Bump....after reading the recent enjoyable short story post "Rifle" that follows the fictional history of a WW II bringback, I was reminded of this thread and felt it was worth bringing back to the top.

Fun thread, inspired me to drive up to Chanute to visit the museum.
I read Osa's book 50+ years ago and was just loaned a couple of Martin's books on lions. For marrying a naive little Kansas kid, Martin did better than all right. They for sure had more adventures in their short years than 50 of us here will ever experience in our considerably extended lives. Great examples of never giving up on ones dreams.

Have the museum on the bucket list if I ever stoop to driving across this country again.
I am new to the 'fire. Saw this thread listed. Just phenomenal the conservation that has been taking place over the years. I am definitely in the presence of those in the know. Have learned oodles of knowledge and just deepens my desire for a 9.3x63mm Mauser. Will nab a CZ when I can. This is just too cool. Thank you all. Now I need to put in overtime on top of overtime to get ANOTHER rifle I just gotta have.
Wife's family lived in Carthage, later moved to Wichita. We've been thru the area a number of times, never to Chanute, although pretty close.

When asked about it, wife said she remembers her parents mentioning Chanute.

I will make it a point to visit the museum next time we're up there. I'll do some homework beforehand, need to start reading their books.

Too cool...

DF
Although you will see various promo photos of the Johnsons posing in the cockpit and with flying caps,
they were not the pilots and navigators of the S-38 and S-39.

That credit goes to Vern Carstens, Boris Sergievsky and Al Morway.

Boris was a chief-pilot for the Sikorsky Co.
[Linked Image]
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=95941429
--

Test pilot- Vern Louis Carstens:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35822607
Still one of my all time favorite 'Fire threads.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Still one of my all time favorite 'Fire threads.

+1

No doubt THE premiere Fire thread, probably the longest running.

DF

Sh1t, Starman has to enter and totally ruin what was the 24HCF's finest thread of all time.

What a danged shame.

God Bless,

Steve

Knowing the truth is not a bad thing, but small minded fools have trouble comprehending that.
Those professional pilots certainly deserve the recognition. No different to giving recognition
to the importance and efforts of a good PH. - but you could also get the PH to shoot all your game
and all you have to do then is pose in the photos with rifle and carcasses like you did it... wink
-pretend pilots or pretend hunters, same same.

Without those skilled pilots, the Johnsons weren't going to be adventure flying anywhere on their own.
looks like Osa sitting in the rear...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Starman
Knowing the truth is not a bad thing, but small minded fools have trouble comprehending that.
Those professional pilots certainly deserve the recognition. No different to giving recognition
to the importance and efforts of a good PH. - but you could also get the PH to shoot all your game
and all you have to do then is pose in the photos with rifle and carcasses like you did it... wink
-pretend pilots or pretend hunters, same same.

Without those skilled pilots, the Johnsons weren't going to be adventure flying anywhere on their own.
looks like Osa sitting in the rear...

[Linked Image]

I hope you take your civic duty seriously late this coming fall. Make sure EVERY child you encounter you tell them how there is no Santa Claus. Hang out near the Santa workshops at the mall (if your court order allows) and tell EVERY kid that there is no Santa.

Report back from the hospital.
Still one of the best threads on The 'Fire. I bought a Ruger African 9.3x62 because of Osa's adventures.

RS
I.just read Chronical of An.African Trip by George Eastman .The Johnson's Martin and Osa hunted with him Carl Ackley and his wife bad Philip Percival this is an awesome book it's also signed by George Eastman .I have I Married Adventure By OsaJohnso also signed by her Best African Wishes Osa Johnson was awesome woman .I hope to read more of her adventures and see more of their adventures they recorded .Their should be a movie made about them the Johnson's were awesome! George Eastman sure was impressed with Osa!
Hope no one is offended if I bump this thread.
After being absent from here for a few years, I noticed last night that some of the links in the thread no longer work. Such is life on the Internet. Oh well...

However, I also noticed that the Safari Museum now has a very large collection of photos available for viewing online. Here's the link:

http://safarimuseum.com/gallery/

It takes the page a little time to load so be patient. It's hard to believe that I started this thread 10 years ago! Where has the time gone?...

Cheers!
Bob F. grin
Thanks Bob! Great to see you back. Africa forum has picked up here lately, so jump in.
Always the iconic campfire thread! Thanks Bob!!!!!
BFaucett

Thanks for the link. I would have a framed photo of Osa cleaning her rifle with the rifle. it didn't have a number but was from the first series of "I married Adventure" and the rifle was a Springfield but a striking photo non the less with a great quote by her husband.

So how did it shoot?
Always the iconic campfire thread! Thanks Bob!!!!!

+1 !

This thread is right up there with the classic Campfire thread A delicate topic "baboon ass"

John
Great thread.
© 24hourcampfire