Home
Posted By: gsg54pise Load question - 10/05/10
35 Whelen, 280 Swift A-Frame,Cape Buffalo,What say You all?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Load question - 10/05/10
Yes, just be aware of the minimum caliber rules (seldom enforced), but more importantly ask your PH if he's ok with it. I'm sure he will be. Screwballs like to show up with all sorts of weird calibers..like a 405 WCF smile
Posted By: safariman Re: Load question - 10/05/10
What Jorge said. But why not use this trip as an excuse to get a new Africa oriented rifle?
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Load question - 10/05/10
9.3x62, 286-gr. A-Frame, Cape Buffalo - "Real Nice", says I. That bump in caliber will get you legal on DG.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Load question - 10/05/10
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yes, just be aware of the minimum caliber rules (seldom enforced), but more importantly ask your PH if he's ok with it. I'm sure he will be. Screwballs like to show up with all sorts of weird calibers..like a 405 WCF smile

But...It won't bring out the pictures a 45-70 will.. grin
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Load question - 10/05/10
Originally Posted by gsg54pise
35 Whelen, 280 Swift A-Frame,Cape Buffalo,What say You all?

Dead Buffalo is what I say
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Well I hope to change that! smile
Posted By: maddog Re: Load question - 10/05/10

laugh laugh laugh

oh jorge.......

maddog
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Load question - 10/05/10
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Well I hope to change that! smile

I was talking about the recent .45-70 thread. Some nice game was pictured in that. smile

I have no doubt the .405 will basically do anything the .45-70 will.
I think the 45/70 with 500gr hard lead and it's original BP specs has the edge by a bit, not to mention the new hot loaded stuff with the 500gr bullet. Now an origianl 400gr? 45/70@ 1300 or so vs an original 405, 300gr@ 2200 they are about the same, but you know me, I'll take speed any day smile
Posted By: SAUMHUNTER79 Re: Load question - 10/05/10
Originally Posted by pinotguy
9.3x62, 286-gr. A-Frame, Cape Buffalo - "Real Nice", says I. That bump in caliber will get you legal on DG.
+1
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: Load question - 10/05/10
It is illegal, however its Africa, and nobody checks and nobody seems to care as lots of ladies and youngsters shoot buffalo with the 30-06, 308, and 7x57 and of course they have a PH to back them up..

Most PHs shot their first buff with a 30-06 or .308 as a matter of fact..The 35 Whelan should do fine. I have used the .338 and 9.3x62 on Buffalo more than a few times, but I do suggest you back up that first soft point with solids for the second going away shot or in case of a charge. Buff shot with the smaller big bores do travel further in 99.5% of the cases..usually until they bleed to death. The 9.3x62 with a handload is legal in most of Africa. It's probably a little better..

I think if I were you I would just get me a .375 H&H or 375 Ruger and be done with it. You'll like it better than either of the other two even on deer size game, but that is up to you.

The problem with this kind of advise is you do not have a stopping round in the lighter calibers, and if you get charged then your selection may be very bad indeed. that is rare but never think it can't happen, I always assume it will. I used lighter calibers early on to satisfy myself I suppose as I am an experimenter and bullet digger. The worked but a few close calls changed my mind and Today I use either a .375 or 416 and ocassionally a souped up 9.3x62 that competes with my .375...
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Load question - 10/05/10
It should work just fine, but wouldn't be my choice.

When the 350 Rem Mag first appeared some Rem reps took a 600 in it to Africa and killed about everything you can hunt there with it. Same ballistics as the 35 Whelen.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Load question - 10/06/10
98 years of African experience can't be wrong.

Take a .375 Holland and Holland Magnum. 300 grain bullet at 2550 for up close big guys. 270 grains at 2750 for the light stuff.
© 24hourcampfire