Home
Impressive!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqs543qxTHE

That was some nice shooting.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

No. Very,very impressive. What kind of wound channel/damage did the postmortem show?
Excellent shot!!
Lov.e the twack at impact! Reload, yeah right!

Good on you Sharps guy. The shot of the hammer being cocked just screams quality
Very nice, especially the whack cool
Black powder, lead paper patched bullet, barrel sights, one-shot kill-- what more could a shooter want?....
Bill,
That is as good as it gets right there!! Thanks for getting it on film and sharing it with the rest of us!

Johnny $
Outstanding!
Spined him. Good shooting.

I wish there was video of those 300-400 yard shots with iron sights he talks about.
Guys, thanks for the flowers. The bullet hit tight behind the shoulder, centering a rib and blew a nickel sized hole through that. It took out the top of the heart and the big blood vessels there before going through the right lung. Then for some reason it turned and went up and hit the spine which it completely severed. It was about as anatomically an effective shot as you can get, but I was frankly surprised and disappointed that the bullet did not penetrate straight on through and exit out the other side.

I have shot several deer, a number of hogs and four bison with that bullet, and that is the first time that it has failed to give straight line penetration. In fact, a week earlier in Kwazulu Natal, I shot a cow kudu through and through the lungs and out the other side, then shot her on the point of the shoulder as she turned to face me using the same bullet. It penetrated a bit over 40 inches of kudu lengthwise and still weighs 476.5 of its original 480 grains. I was really surprised that it didn't go straight through the zebra.

I told the PH that I was disappointed that it didn't go on through, and he said "I know what you mean, but I really LIKE that bullet."
I have video of a 302 yard shot on a kudu, a 325 yard shot on a springbok, and a 312 yard shot on a blue wildebeast that is being edited.
S,

I'd love to see it.

That Zebra shot was way cool.

Love seeing CNS hits on game . Usually, they're dead in their tracks.. wink
Bill I think the issue for the "round robin" your bullet took was the center hit on the rib. Where you shooting 20:1?
jorge--I was shooting 30-1 which is what I almost always shoot. A rib or shoulder blade or a bison skull has yet to turn one. I actually suspect that somehow the bullet had some kind of internal flaw that caused it. Having said that, I somehow have a hard time getting my head around it, because those bullets were VERY carefully weighed and inspected after I cast them. I am normally pretty anal about the bullets I shoot, but these were going to AFRICA, for crying out loud, and I was very careful when I made them.

In any case, the zebra died instantly, as she still had grass in her mouth when we went up to her.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Very nice! We all hope it works out that well.
That is what I likes to see. DRT
grinDamn zebra must have thought a safe fell on his head grin

Very impressive.. The visual impact is impressive as well as the shooting. The replay at the end of the video showed the bullet hit plainly
You guys and your flyin bricks !!! laugh
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

grin45 caliber Sharps Rifles are THE pure killing machines!!!! grin
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Very nice, Wild Bill!

I have the notion for more tin (grins)
Originally Posted by jim62
Spined him. Good shooting.

I wish there was video of those 300-400 yard shots with iron sights he talks about.

There is. I've got a copy actually.

Brent
Bill,
Nice shooting there. Can't get much better than that.

Sure is GREEN over there.

Brent
Bill,
Nice shooting there. Can't get much better than that.

Sure is GREEN over there.

Brent
Very nicely done on the shot as well as the video. Mind giving out the camera and editing software specs?
As far as the camera and editing software specs, I don't have a clue. That is a long way from any area of expertise I may have.
Excellent! That should be shown to all new hunters as the goal of the stalk and shot.

Ed
A+ with extra credit points,sharpsguy!! That is one impressive shot!

Note: If you shot right handed, you'd have had your pass through! grin
Absolutely awesome! Can't wait to see the other videos.

maddog
Originally Posted by isaac
A+ with extra credit points,sharpsguy!! That is one impressive shot!

Note: If you shot right handed, you'd have had your pass through! grin

pOSSIBLY TRUE, BUT AT LEAST HE IS IN HIS "RIGHT" MIND AS A LEFTY laugh
VERY IMPRESSIVE
The 45-70 deserves most of the credit.
Nice shot, although didn't you get the memo that any cartridge not capable of 3000 fps is totally useless in Africa?
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The round is spectacular, the rifle a work of art, but the man(and the tons of lead and powder he put downrange over the years) was prepared for the shot. This man is a shooter, not a bragggart.
Damn nice shootin SHARPSGUY,

After seein this Ive added another to do to the bucket list.

#13 Huntin Africa w/ my Sharps 45-3.25"
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Every now and then the totaly imbecilic can leave one at a complete loss for words.
Really nice shooting with a beautiful weapon. Well done all around. Congratulations on a successful safari!
Bill,

You're liking that '70 over the '110 I see...nice shot.

Manny
Manny, it's still an ongoing learning process. The 45-70 at 12 pounds is a lot easier to shoot accurately than a 45-110 at 11 pounds, 8 ounces. As you know, I have had good success in the past with the 45-110. The 45-110 is a tremendous caliber, and I really like it. However, the 45-70 seems to penetrate as well or even better than the 45-110 using the 480 to 520 grain bullets, especially inside of 50 yards. As for distance, I can reach and shoot through anything with the 45-70 that I can with the 45-110, and it is hard for me to ignore that.

My new Business Rifle in 45-70 with the original configuration twist and chamber looks to be the most accurate one yet. I'll keep you posted.
Congratulations Bill. Fine shot placement.

The old reliable black powder .45-70 in the hands of a rifleman that knows the rifle and knows how to use it gets the job done right.
Yes the .45-2-7/8 has a edge over a .45-2.1 with power but that extra little bit gained in power is lost if the man cant get an accurately placed shot.
My hat is off to you for your proficiency with a single shot Sharps Rifle that has been in use by thousands of hunters for 140 years.

Hans-A
© 24hourcampfire