Home
Posted By: McCake NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Comments, opinions, ideas, general info, yada...

PM's or Post 'em.

THANKS
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
It is THE destination for an excellent plains game hunt...
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
buff? or Zim for that.....
Posted By: FOsteology Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Excellent destination for affordable PG hunt.

Especially in the Northeastern area as several PH's utilize actual San-wa Bushman trackers.

DG hunting available in the Caprivi.

Posted By: Ebby Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
I agree with Ingwe. The Place for Plains game. Great Oryx, Kudu, Springbok, Mountain Zebra, Hartebeest etc. For Buffalo or lion or Elephant probably not. There are some great places in the Caprivi but really expensive. I'd go elsewhere for those. Good Leopard hunting but not great but you should have an opportunity at a cat.
Posted By: JimD Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Namibia! Lot of great hunting and touring options there. Fairly safe, stable, good infrastructure, friendly people. Lots of different outfitters there with a wide range of pricing options for plains game.

Decent prices on PAC lion or elephant if you are there when the permit is issued, or are quite flexible on your travel dates.

Jim
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Want to go there BAD!!

ddj
Make a plan, stick to it.... and you'll make it happen.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Me two...maybe a good place for a CF get together... wink

Dober
Posted By: Bigdogfla Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
An absolutely SAFE African country!!! Windhoek is the cleanest city on the Continent!!! Very stable and a good value for Plains game. Direct flights from Frankfurt on Air Namibia. Etosha National Park is a great observation side trip.... PM me if you want details on our PH and Trip. Paul
Posted By: Fjold Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Great plains game hunting, Buffalo is very expensive though because of their limited numbers and they are only available in the Caprivi Strip. Prices for plains game is probably the most reasonable of any country in Africa.

The government is stable and the game is very well managed.
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
When I was trying to decide where to go in Africa for my big trip, I happened to get a chance to talk with Craig Boddington. Yes, it was a unique opportunity for an old farm boy from the hills of PA! When I asked him about Namibia, he said "Namibia is the most beautiful country in Africa." I went. I was amazed at how beautiful, safe, clean, how much game, and most of all how nice and friendly absolutely everyone that I met was. Never once did someone hit me up for a bribe or a handout. One of the nicest places I've ever been. Unique country, great hunting amazing history and nice people. Some of the best kudu and gemsbok, one of the few places you can get mountain zebra, and most places the game is freeranging.
With many of the PH's you stay on what we would call a ranch and get to spend time with their family and experience friendship with neighbors who just happen to live far away.
Did I mention how much I liked it there?
Bfly
Posted By: pinotguy Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
I'll echo everything mentioned so far, and add that there are some really cool and exotic species on offer that can only be found in Namibia, namely Damara Dik-Dik, Hartmann's Mtn. Zebra, and Black-faced Impala.
Posted By: RedLeg Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
And still one of the best places in Africa for a leopard! Fabulous plans game hunting and if you check out the Caprivi, you will find the cost for Buff and elephant very competitive.
Posted By: mudhen Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Originally Posted by RedLeg
And still one of the best places in Africa for a leopard! Fabulous plans game hunting and if you check out the Caprivi, you will find the cost for Buff and elephant very competitive.
Last I heard, there was a ban on leopard hunting for a few years. Admittedly, I haven't kept up, but I haven't heard that the ban has been lifted. When I hunted there the last time (in 2007), we were still seeing leopard sign everywhere we went. Never heard why the government shut it down...
Leopard is open in Namibia, albeit with several conditions attached. Hunting with hounds is done. This method is no longer allowed. As such, baiting is the only permissible method these days. They have limited the number of permits that are issued per year as well. IIRC, permits are only being issued to registered outfitters/PH's who have a Namibian address. (I may be mistaken on this particular point.)

Not sure about the PAC Leopard hunts in Namibia. When all of this was being sorted out, I can't remember how this was addressed.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I can make it happen -just say the word!! The more hunters, the better the rate!

Jim
Originally Posted by Fjold
Great plains game hunting, Buffalo is very expensive though because of their limited numbers and they are only available in the Caprivi Strip. Prices for plains game is probably the most reasonable of any country in Africa.

I think there is now limited (buffalo) quota available now in the Waterberg as well. Joof Lamprecht has the concession there.

Jim
Posted By: M3taco Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
This year will be our fourth trip there. Same place and same PH. It is a little slice of heaven for me.

Buff in the Caprivi and limited number of lions and leopard are available to land owners. My PH has 100K acres (low fenced) and has 2 leopard tags (exportable) this year if any one is interested you can PM me.
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Buff in Namibia is expensive. I v'e seen it for as much as $14k.
Buff in SA is going �8300 in the Eastern Cape.
Leopard in Namibia (Waterberg) is going for euro 3100+ daily rate.
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
I was one of two people who drew a permit to harvest leopard at my Namibian outfitter's place, Ozandjahe Safaris. The hunter who drew the other permit killed a beauty already. Namibia is alleged to be a fine leopard hunting opportunity. I will find out in June this year.

I am paying 500 US a day for our 12 day hunt and 160 a day for my wife as a tag-alonger,photgrapher,part time hunter and faux bwana.If I tag a leopard, I'll be required to pay a trophy fee of 4K. I believe I paid 700 for the Cites permit and some other extraneous fees of which I don't completely recal as I write this. If I take all the animals on my wish list, my bill will be approximately 12K.

Karen will be offered at 1000 per hour.She's a team player!!

As a aside, Cheetah is prevalent in the area and can be hunted,as well.
Posted By: RedLeg Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Originally Posted by paul375
Buff in Namibia is expensive. I v'e seen it for as much as $14k.
Buff in SA is going �8300 in the Eastern Cape.
Leopard in Namibia (Waterberg) is going for euro 3100+ daily rate.

You need to find a new outfitter. I hunted with Eden this past summer (http://www.eden-wildlife.com/pricing.html) and had a fabulous experience. Daily rate for a Buff/plains game hunt was 850 with a 6500 buffalo trophy fee (US Dollars). I took a 42 inch bull. Dangerous game is hunted in the Caprivi (real wilderness hunt) and most of the plains game on Eden. That too is priced very resonably. For instance trophy fee for a kudu is 950. Jack Atcheson is currently advertizing leopard with Nick Nolte very competitively.

LEOPARD HUNT IN NAMIBIA - $13,500! Nick Nolte offers an outstanding leopard hunt over bait, 14-day hunts, hunt 3/1-11/15 in 2011-2012, all-inclusive $13,500. Trophy fees, leopard $5,000, kudu $1,200, gemsbok $600 and over 20 additional species available. All free range. Over 90% kill in last 5 years!!!

Nick is a tremendous guy and he and Isabel have great loge and lots of cats around Omaruru.
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
That's a expensive leopard hunt,RedLeg.
Posted By: maddog Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
Here is a great website to check out outfitters, in Namibia.

http://www.natron.net/napha/english/index.html

maddog
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: NAMIBIA - 02/04/11
I hope to go on a 3 generation hunt there in the near future.

ddj
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I hope to go on a 3 generation hunt there in the near future.

Now that would be a memorable trip of a lifetime. All the best in making it happen.
Originally Posted by JimD

Dober

I can make it happen -just say the word!! The more hunters, the better the rate!

Jim

Jim,

Would you mind giving a general outline on something like this? Where (part of Namibia), outfitter, Includes/Excludes, hunting basis (1x1, 2x1 - I'm sure this would depend on number of hunters), Daily Rates, and Trophy Fees?

I know it's early but this might be something to try and organize for 2012.

Just thinking out loud . . .

Thanks for any info.
Posted By: GRF Re: NAMIBIA - 02/05/11
I have spent one month in Namibia (May 2009)10 days hunting and 2 days fishing through Byseewah. Very happy with the outfitter. Fishing out of Henties Bay is a must, I caught a 2.3m long bronze whaler shark while fishing from shore. I have tried to post a picture I hope it works.

My enjoyed the trip immensely as well. I echo all of thw previous positive comments. I will return as quickly as finances allow.
Posted By: GRF Re: NAMIBIA - 02/05/11
I hope the photo worked this time. GRF

It did work; please see the attachment for shark picture the guide was Rainer (I don't recall his last name) The Byseewah Fishing Lodge in Henties Bay booked him for me. An amazing fishing guide.

Attached picture 2nam223.jpg
Posted By: dinsdale Re: NAMIBIA - 02/05/11
Cool shark!Good stuff!

I did a month but inland; next time I want to do a week or 10 days along the coast.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Dober

Jim

Jim,

Would you mind giving a general outline on something like this? Where (part of Namibia), outfitter, Includes/Excludes, hunting basis (1x1, 2x1 - I'm sure this would depend on number of hunters), Daily Rates, and Trophy Fees?

Thanks for any info.

How about spring of '13? Might be able to go then. Would like any info as well.

Thanks.
Posted By: lhonda Re: NAMIBIA - 02/06/11
Originally Posted by isaac
I was one of two people who drew a permit to harvest leopard at my Namibian outfitter's place, Ozandjahe Safaris. The hunter who drew the other permit killed a beauty already. Namibia is alleged to be a fine leopard hunting opportunity. I will find out in June this year.

I am paying 500 US a day for our 12 day hunt and 160 a day for my wife as a tag-alonger,photgrapher,part time hunter and faux bwana.If I tag a leopard, I'll be required to pay a trophy fee of 4K. I believe I paid 700 for the Cites permit and some other extraneous fees of which I don't completely recal as I write this. If I take all the animals on my wish list, my bill will be approximately 12K.

Right, but cheetah are not importable into the US.
Posted By: jstevens Re: NAMIBIA - 02/09/11
Been there and it's a great place to shoot outstanding plains game. Make sure and go to an area that has the Hartmann's mountain zebra available as they are a lot of fun to hunt. and pretty rare.
Posted By: jstevens Re: NAMIBIA - 02/09/11
The cheetah are plentiful, the Europeans hunt them a lot. As the PH's over there say, cheetahs are only endangered in the USA.
Posted By: McCake Re: NAMIBIA - 02/11/11
Appreciate the Posts and PM's received.

THANKS ALL, for ur time and info.
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: NAMIBIA - 02/11/11
Went to Namibia 2 years ago. Had an awesome plains game hunt, and also was able to kill 3 cheetahs. I killed 2 and my dad killed 1, out of a pack of 6. It was very dishearting to not be able to bring them back. Yes we killed them for the pictures, but, when we showed up on the ranch that we were hunting Kudu on, we met with the owner, and he told us that if we seen cheetahs and didnt kill them, we would not be welcome back the next day. We found several kudu calves and oryx calves that the cheetah had killed, ate the prime cuts, and left the rest. The PH said that this particular pack was killing up to 5 animals a day. Dont know if I believe that, but non the less, I wasnt going to not be welcome back. Was pissed that I didnt get the other 3, but by the time that we got 3 dead, they were gone. On a side note, if your PH tells you that a cheetah will not charge, is full of chit. I have fist hand experience of this. I will just say, that 2 died on the spot, and the 3rd that I shot, was a long ways and running, and it wasnt the best of shots. The follow up, was at 7 yds straight on, as he was coming to eat our lunch.

Toby Joe
Posted By: luv2safari Re: NAMIBIA - 02/11/11
Great 1st PG safari choice and wonderful folks...great German food. Affordable...
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: NAMIBIA - 02/11/11

Dober

That's an idea!
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/14/11
just booked my flights for a 15 day trip to Namibia in August.
Its gonna be a long wait.
Posted By: Fjold Re: NAMIBIA - 02/15/11
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
Went to Namibia 2 years ago. Had an awesome plains game hunt, and also was able to kill 3 cheetahs. I killed 2 and my dad killed 1, out of a pack of 6. It was very dishearting to not be able to bring them back. Yes we killed them for the pictures, but, when we showed up on the ranch that we were hunting Kudu on, we met with the owner, and he told us that if we seen cheetahs and didnt kill them, we would not be welcome back the next day. We found several kudu calves and oryx calves that the cheetah had killed, ate the prime cuts, and left the rest. The PH said that this particular pack was killing up to 5 animals a day. Dont know if I believe that, but non the less, I wasnt going to not be welcome back. Was pissed that I didnt get the other 3, but by the time that we got 3 dead, they were gone. On a side note, if your PH tells you that a cheetah will not charge, is full of chit. I have fist hand experience of this. I will just say, that 2 died on the spot, and the 3rd that I shot, was a long ways and running, and it wasnt the best of shots. The follow up, was at 7 yds straight on, as he was coming to eat our lunch.

Toby Joe

When I was in Namibia in 2008 a land owner told us basically the same thing about leopards. He said that if we saw one that we had permission to kill it for free! You can believe that I never wanted to leave.
Posted By: RyanScott Re: NAMIBIA - 02/15/11
You can't do that anymore. You need a permit in advance to hunt cats. It's N5000 or something like that, and there are a limited number of them.

I made the cover of the outfitters brochure this year with a 42" Gemsbok I shot in Namibia.
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: NAMIBIA - 02/15/11
Originally Posted by paul375
just booked my flights for a 15 day trip to Namibia in August.
Its gonna be a long wait.

What is your route for getting there? We flew through Frankfurt. Had a 12 hour layover. Had the option to get a day room, but declined. Thought we would see the town and the sites. I thought that was a mistake. I would much have rather slept my tired azz all day, then to have went down town to the nasty, dirty filth that I seen there for 12 hours. It was neat for about an hour, but after that was very boring.
Maybe I should have done a little more research, but I wasnt much impressed with Frankfurt. It was nasty, and very expensive.

Toby Joe
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/16/11
My Uncle used to deliver steel to Frankfurt.......in the belly of a Lancaster Bomber, he flatten the place. Thats proberly why its so boring.
I'm flying from London to Munich with Luftwaffa (2hr wait)then South African to Jo'berg (5hr wait)then over to Windyhoek.
Then going back the same route.
Come to think of it Uncle Arthur flatted Munich as well...... and Dresden and Berlin and Cologne...and the rest of the place.
I think his "tour de force" of the Fatherland has made it a very dull place.
A mate of mine flew to Windy last year via Frankfurt and had a load of greef from the krauts over his .308. They said it was a very large calibre and very dangerous and also a military round and he shouldn't be allowed it.......the morons fially let him take it but he nearly missed his flight.
Posted By: GRF Re: NAMIBIA - 02/18/11
Air Namibia flies direct Frankfurt to Windhoek; they cancelled their London Frankfurt flight in 2009. GRF
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 02/18/11

Lufhansa fly London-Frankfurt-j'berg-Windy.or the same via Munich.
You can fly london-frnkfrt-(lufthansa)Frnkfrt-Windhoek air Namibia which tends to be more expensive.
Posted By: JimD Re: NAMIBIA - 02/19/11
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Dober

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for any info.

We could do a group hunt at Omalanga Safaris, located near Otavi and about forty minutes from the East gate of Etosha.

The rate for eight hunters would be $255 per hunter per day, hunting 2/1. With eight hunters in camp, there would be no room for observers.
http://www.omalangasafaris.net/

Pm me for more details.

Jim
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: NAMIBIA - 03/04/11

I met some grand people there. I would recommend extra time and visit Etosha Nat'l Park in the north; we're still in contact with our guide to and in Etosha.

The country along with the RSA is relatively modern, perhaps like Mexico (but without the gangland shootouts), so is very comfortable for a spouse or kids.

The high fences were an aesthetic drawback for me but such large areas are typically included that they make practically no difference while hunting in my limited experience.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better PG destination than Namibia.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: NAMIBIA - 03/05/11
What is the weather like in mid to late September in Namibia? How is the hunting then or does the time of year matter? My wife and I are trying to put together a PG trip then.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: NAMIBIA - 03/05/11

That would be the commencement of their spring (reverse for southern hemisphere considerations) and temps would warm into the 80s with a commensurate green up. Howthat would affect the hunting I won't say but would expect it to still be good. Perhaps water would be more accessible and you wouldn't hunt water holes like in winter but I was there in late winter and didn't hunt water holes then anyway.
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: NAMIBIA - 03/05/11
For those of you that have been to Namibia more than once, what are your recommendations as to the best airline & best route to Windhoek, cheapest would be a plus also.
Posted By: JimD Re: NAMIBIA - 03/05/11
Best would be Lufthansa to Frankfurt then Windhoek on Air Namibia.

Cheapest would probably out of New York or DC on SAA through Johannesburg.

Jim
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: NAMIBIA - 03/06/11

Have only been once but the first option JimD mentions is was what Gracys sent us on and it was as painless as could be--better than some of our domestic flights.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: NAMIBIA - 03/06/11
Look at Air Berlin too. They fly direct from Munich to Windhoek, so you'd still have to transit through Germany. I haven't flown them before but I've started to look at them for future travel as they have some very reasonable rates.

I keep hoping that one of the U.S.-based airlines will offer a direct flight from the States to Windhoek (think Delta: ATL - WDH). Should be doable with 777-ER's as it's closer than RSA.
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 03/06/11
Not sure if Air Berlin will carry firearms. German wings wont.
Luftwaffa will so will Air Namibia and South African Airways will.
If you can fly N.Y. to J'berg then Windy go for it . When you are taking firearms cheapest isn't always the best.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: NAMIBIA - 03/06/11
Air Berlin will accept firearms.
Posted By: paul375 Re: NAMIBIA - 03/13/11
Had a look at Air Berlins price to Windy. Seems a bit expensive.
I went through www.skyscanner.com amd booked my Lufthansa flight.
If you use skyscanner you can get prices for the whole month or even year and plan your trip around price.And get a good deal if you are flexy with your dates.
Posted By: ackley Re: NAMIBIA - 05/05/11
If you want to hunt in Namibia for 5 years all expenses paid and get all your trophies. Contact Jack de Waal at +264 81 220 6644 or at [email protected]
Posted By: ackley Re: NAMIBIA - 05/05/11
If you want to hunt in Namibia for 5 years all expenses paid and get all your trophies, contact Jack de Waal at +264 81 220 6644 or at [email protected] at any time
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/05/11
If you want to advertise on this site contact Rick Bin...
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: NAMIBIA - 05/05/11
I realize that it is all inclusive, but just in case I want to add a few days on to my 5 years. What is the day rate?
Posted By: ackley Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
TOBYJOETRUBY,all expenses paid. no time limits
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
I usually take a 5 year vacation, every 5 years. I will be in touch.

I start to hunt next week, you TOBYJOETRUBY stay in touch.You do`nt need to bring anything, only yourself and see who I shoot 100 to 300 springbucks in one night. You email me and I will sent you pictures of culling game.

Have a nice weekend and good shooting
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
TFF...
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
persistant little bugger.....
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
Who is this guy? Just got a pm from Jack asking me to contact him.

ddj
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
Dooood.I dunno..I'm just watching the ride... grin
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
Wow

Posted By: Big Sky Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
"see who I shoot"

Who besides the 100 to 300 springbucks are you planning on shooting?
Posted By: FOsteology Re: NAMIBIA - 05/06/11
You list your location as Mariental Namibia.

Just out of curiosity, do you know Jannie Spangenberg or Bollie Liebenberg?
No, what about them.

Posted By: grand_veneur Re: NAMIBIA - 05/07/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
It is THE destination for an excellent plains game hunt...

And excellent sightseeing and trail trio destination though.
Posted By: ackley Re: NAMIBIA - 05/10/11
Namibia, safe country, plenty of game and much more. I shot 30 oryx, 355 springbucks, 5 blackwildebeest and 12 blue wildebeest the weekend for US$ 27 000 for the market. Game are plenty and if your shot headshots you don`t have a problem in losing game. It was blood, sweat and hardwork to get it done in 2 days. Am going next week for the next 400 game.
Posted By: McCake Re: NAMIBIA - 05/10/11
No one cares...
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: NAMIBIA - 05/11/11
Originally Posted by ackley
Namibia, safe country, plenty of game and much more. I shot 30 oryx, 355 springbucks, 5 blackwildebeest and 12 blue wildebeest the weekend for US$ 27 000 for the market. Game are plenty and if your shot headshots you don`t have a problem in losing game. It was blood, sweat and hardwork to get it done in 2 days. Am going next week for the next 400 game.

man, I'd love to be able to go on a hunt like that.
Can I just post my visa and pin number on this thread so you can book me on the hunt?
anxiously awaiting your reply.
Posted By: JohnCrighton Re: NAMIBIA - 05/13/11
My first and (so far) only trip to Africa was to Namibia. I wrote a detailed hunt and after-hunt report - you can look it up under my name.

I spent 1 week in a rental car driving all over the country - loved it - safe, beautiful, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I think Namibia is THE best place to go in all of Africa.
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/13/11
John...I go to Namib from June 13th thru 29th. How was your temp range and how much over-packing did you do in anticipation of the possibilty of your first two and last 2 hours of hunting being rather chilly?
Posted By: mrfudd Re: NAMIBIA - 05/13/11
It can be very cold during that time frame - it depends on where you are in Namibia. The water pipes in both the main house and guest cabin froze on our Namibian safari in 2008. I would definitely take a fleece jacket, gloves, and warm hat for the early morning and late evening hours.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: NAMIBIA - 05/13/11

Yea, I was there in late August and early morning chill was present especially riding in the back of the truck. I had a jacket, leather gloves and could have used an extra layer a time or two although the cold didn't last long.

To the OP, it's a great destination. PM me if more questions.
Posted By: JohnCrighton Re: NAMIBIA - 05/14/11
John...I go to Namib from June 13th thru 29th. How was your temp range and how much over-packing did you do in anticipation of the possibilty of your first two and last 2 hours of hunting being rather chilly?

It never got past 80 during the day, and at night it got down into the 40s. When it gets dark, it gets dark and COLD fast. Layers is always a good game-plan. I had some fleece pull overs, one decent jacket, and the rest was good cargo pants, some underarmor (which I wore one day and then quickly took off as things warmed up), and of course good socks and boots/shoes.

DON'T pack too much - your laundry should be done every day - I was told not to overpack, thought I hadn't, and still did - LOL.

Your last 2 hours of hunting won't be too chilly, but the first few will be, especially riding around - just have a good jacket (but not a parka), windbreaker, something for your head (we all know how much heat is lost there) and you'll be fine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/14/11
Bob...dat post is spot on...+1
Posted By: eyeball Re: NAMIBIA - 05/15/11

What is on your wish list, please?
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/22/11
I'm sorry...just saw this. Besides leopard,of course, kudu,gemsbok,warthog,Hartsmann zebra,blue wildebeest and baboon. Because of leopard hunting restrictions and the need for some luck as far as being on a good cat,my PG menu may be altered due to time in the leopard blind,so I'm told.

I'll be a bit picky, for a cherry, when it comes to my wartie and kudu but,save for that,if my PH says it's worthy,I'm putting some 338 Fed 185 TSXs on their way.
Posted By: McCake Re: NAMIBIA - 05/22/11
THANKS again ALL, for info ('specially m3taco).

Deposit down, gunning Kudu, Hartebeest, Eland (oh yeah), and dual Gemsbok.

23 months gonna seem like forever. Counting...
Posted By: Gun_Nerd Re: NAMIBIA - 05/22/11

isaac,

I went at that time of year in 2006 (central Namibia near Okahandja). I would guess the morning temperatures were in the upper 30s or low 40s. When riding on the truck before breakfast, a Primaloft parka was very much in order, along with a ball cap and elk hide gloves. An hour or so after sunrise, after finally getting some coffee on board, we'd usually start walking and at that point I'd warm up quickly in regular cotton trousers and a long-sleeved Filson shirt.

The other hunter in camp apparently hadn't researched the climate much and didn't bring a jacket or long pants. Fortunately he was able to borrow some to get through the first few days until his girlfriend went to town to get herself a jacket and some extra stuff for him as well.

For the OP -- my writeup of my trip and some other travel comments may be helpful:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...4383/First_safari_report_long#Post934383

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...amibian_Travel_Tips_I_Wish_I_#Post929316

Posted By: Gun_Nerd Re: NAMIBIA - 05/22/11
I should mention that the PH I hunted with is no longer in the business. I have no idea who, if anyone, hunts his former properties today.
Posted By: maddog Re: NAMIBIA - 05/22/11
Bob, if things go right, 2 other trophies that you might put on your PG wish list, cape red hartebeast, and springbok. My son took a red hartebeast in 2008, and the trophy/cape is awesome!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/23/11
I loooooooove the European mount Hartebeest...NOTHING looks more distinctly "African"...
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/23/11
Even more African than a robust sized man wearing a leopard thong?
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/23/11
You will smoke a turd in helll....
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
Hmmmm...see pic of robust man in leopard thongs or smoke a turd in Hell? Starting off my day with a tough one!
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
Bastid...

THIS is the official hunting garb for Namibia..

Scoff if you will..I've BTDT....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fgold767 Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
That is way too much this early in the morning....or anytime actually...
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
You are just jealous of " the love that dare not speak it's name..."

BTW, you'll need an outfit like that for Buffalo hunting... grin
Posted By: fgold767 Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
Nah
I have to work with those like that all the time...ain't gonna happen.....if I never hunt buff, that's ok....THAT is not ok...
Posted By: FOsteology Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
When discussing Africa, don't forget the "face of Namibia".... whistle

[Linked Image]
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/24/11
Bastid...

[Linked Image]

=======================

That does not make for a nice end to my day. Am I seeing camel toes?
Posted By: ingwe Re: NAMIBIA - 05/25/11
Best not to ask...

Suffice it to say I wasn't like that before I went to Namibia.... whistle
Posted By: isaac Re: NAMIBIA - 05/26/11
Bastid...

[Linked Image]

=======================

That does not make for a nice end to my day. Am I seeing camel toes?

==============

I've lost 6 pounds since I've seen this and my throat is scarred from the bile.
© 24hourcampfire