Home
Posted By: utah708 So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Photos my wife took a couple of weeks ago--looks like a good one to me.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
it would be for me.....
Posted By: utah708 Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
He does have that traditional Ruark "you owe me money" look.
Posted By: maddog Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
I suppose somebody might say something about the bosses....maybe...but I'd shoot the sucker! grin

maddog
Wait for a better one then tell yourself what an idiot you were to pass up a bull of which anyone would be proud.

Terry
I'd take him!

Ed
He is not an old bull, but definitely a shooter! He would make a grand old daga boy someday, his bosses are already well split, and they will get bigger with time, but if he walked through the crosshairs ......... he is going down!

Regards.

Powdersmoke.
Nice shape, well hooked, a little small on the bosses, but if I was huntin buff, I'd shoot that bastard.
Look at the body on that bastard! Is he a shooter? Only if uve got the cannon with you!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Green, pass. Unless it was the last day.
Posted By: Savuti Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Easier said than done! But I know what you mean.

I'd like a better at the bosses, otherwise he's pretty damn nice.

Pete
I imagine Jorge is right. My initial thought in looking at him yesterday was that either his body makes his head look small, or his head makes his body look huge. Either way, (my hunting perspectives at play here) there's a lot of protein to be had there. wink
Posted By: utah708 Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Unless he has tiny ears, he is 40" or better.
Posted By: M3taco Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Good spread, good curl, bosses look like they might be full (touching) but hard to tell how deep (front to back) from that angle and could be thicker. Early in the hunt pass - last day yes. Second or thirst to last day maybe depending on how many you've been into the previous days and are in the area your hunting.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11

jorgeI is correct with his assessment
I would gladly level my 577 Nitro on that bull grin, specially on my first trip over.

Gunner
I guess he wouldn't be if you were sitting in the lorry 10 feet away, but if you came across him in the bush on a fair chase it'd be hard not to want to take him home. For me it would depend on how the rest of the hunt was going, what your PH has in mind, and are you on day 2 or the last week of your hunt.
Personally, I'd hold out.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Originally Posted by utah708
[Linked Image]

That's a green buffalo. This is more like it:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 09/11/11
Yep. Soft bosses...if you were in an area where many sighting were possible...I'd pass...
[Linked Image]

That's more like it indeed!
Good man JorgeI ! This poor thing is still wet behind the ears! Give him a chance to grow up guys! When there's no more hair tuft between the boss he'll be ready. Til then give him time to sow his oats!!
Somehow they all seem better looking once they have stopped bleeding on the back of my truck.

Last day bull.
gotta agree with jorge
though my experience is limited, seems that the bosses are not what you would really like
Originally Posted by utah708
[Linked Image]

That's a green buffalo. This is more like it:
[Linked Image]

JorgeI,

Pardon my ignorance, will the "green" one's horns' deep curls eventually wear to match the old boy you show in your picture?

Ed
Posted By: moore Re: So is this bull a shooter? - 11/01/11
Yep
I haven't hunted with any PH who would let somebody shoot that bull in "wild" Africa. Most consider a hard boss more of a trophy than score or spread.

Did go along as an observer on a couple of fenced buffalo hunts in South Africa. The hunters each took soft-bossed bulls, allowing hard-bossed breeder bulls to keep producing calves. One of the soft-bossed bulls was 40".
Just to be a contrarian, even without the boss issue, I don't think he is that great, although many (most) would be happy with him. I'd like another view.

If in doubt, shoot him and then go find a bigger one.

First day bull versus last day bull? You guys know better than that. smile
He is not quite a Dugga-boy yet, but will be in a couple of years. Pass and let him grow. I passed on two bulls that were better this past May.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

First day bull versus last day bull? You guys know better than that. smile

Agree fully. This is still a young bull, and just because its the last day, does not warrant him a shooter. If its not a shooter, its not a shooter, no matter when you look at him.
Give him some time.
Why not just frame the pictures and call it a good photo op? If you're close enough with a camera you were close enough to have bagged him.
If on the first day, no.
If on the last day, maybe, if I was not coming back there.
Also depends on how the rest of the safari went. If I had a good bag, probably not. You have to look at him on the wall for too long.

Shooting old men is more rewarding.
© 24hourcampfire