Home
Let's make it clear, i Love the mod 70, use it as my go to gun for years, killed a good bunch of game with it, went to africa with it but i'm mad about those truth hammers pretendig the rifle can't afford proper use and is Barely not pr�sent on the black continent mad Ok I can't believe in such a point of view, maybe I don't use my gun properly which makes it work perfectly and can't read, but what do you think about it ?

I think that it is a very good rifle.
I believe the Model 70 has acquitted itself in Africa throughout the years. It may not have the following with European hunters but I'm pretty sure that plenty of American hunters have used it there. To me, it's a very legitimate platform for the entire spectrum of African game. It's chamberings cover it all, IMO.
It is sort of THE classic rifle for Africa, for American hunters. I took two.... a .30-06 and a .375 H&H....about as close to a standard package for a US hunter as you can get.

Other than a Mauser, what would be more appropriate?
DRs in 375 FM and Super 30 flanged...

Other than those, I can't think of any others.
Harry Manners, Finn Aaggard,Harry Selby....no doubt some others I can't recall....no M70's?

Who said so? confused
Except for the crummy factory iron sights, easily replaced, there is no better hunting (as opposed to stopping) rifle for dangerous game than a Model 70 in .458 or .375. Properly scoped, I have taken lion, elephant, buff, hippo, and plains game with Model 70s. I think they are common in Africa.
GV....keep using your rifle improperly...... grin
grin I just hope I'm not the only moron on earth believing in that rifle and going on improperly killing critters with it grin

I've read somewhere that Harry Selby bought a Winch 70 (458 WM) when he had to send his rigby in UK for repairs. It took three years to get the rigby back, but when it was functional again he would have kept the Winch though.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
there is no better hunting (as opposed to stopping) rifle for dangerous game than a Model 70 in .458 or .375.

Do you refer to caliber choice, action type or mag capacity ?

Mag capacity makes some big difference with the CZ but (IIRC they allow you 2 more rounds) though it allows the rifle to be some handy. I'd like to have one more round in the mag for driven hunt purpose in my neck of the world.
I am fairly sure you can get after market bottom metal for the M70 that allows an extra round or maybe two..

I happen to like the CZ550's but the M70 has a well respected history of use in Africa.

Today, I think its biggest advantage is that its available in stainless steel, which to me is is plus for a working rifle...I just wish Winchester would incorporate dovetail rails into the top of the action as per CZ and Sako ect.
Sure, you can tweak the new guns; extra round, upgraded trigger gaurd and mag release, dovetail rails for scope mounting, better open sights, forged extractor, strengthen bedding around the recoil lug, ect. What do you figure a rifle like that would cost?
I've killed a few things in Africa with a Model 70, albeit a pre 64 in 300 H&H...
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
there is no better hunting (as opposed to stopping) rifle for dangerous game than a Model 70 in .458 or .375.

Do you refer to caliber choice, action type or mag capacity ?

Mag capacity makes some big difference with the CZ but (IIRC they allow you 2 more rounds) though it allows the rifle to be some handy. I'd like to have one more round in the mag for driven hunt purpose in my neck of the world.

I refer to all of the above.

1. I like bolt rifles because you have to have a scope to identify bullet paths through the jesse some times. Also, there have been times i needed more than two shots. Yeah you can scope a double, but it's often a hassle and hard to get it low enough for a good cheek weld.

2. Having shot one each hippo, elephant, and buffalo with the .375 and .458, I think both are adequate. Penetration is sufficient with the ,375. I killed a buff with a bang flop with a .375. The .375 can be used more readily for plains game than the .458. I read about a guy who got killed in a close buff charge while hunting lesser kudu. You don't take a .458 on a lesser kudu hunt but you can take a .375.

3. I have had, however, two situations where I would have appreciated one more round in the magazine than the Model 70 carries.

It's the most desired action I know of for nearly every PH I have ever worked with in Africa.

Most use a Mauser, but prefer or even dream of the day they had the same rifle with a Mod 70 action. It's far lighter and we carry them a whole lot, day in and day out!

Anyone suggesting that the Mod70 is not an acceptable action is showing there complete lack of knowledge on the topic or has spent very little time among the professionals in the industry there. Every single one of my rifles used in this business is built on a Model 70 action or the Montana which is an identical twin.
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
grin I just hope I'm not the only moron on earth believing in that rifle and going on improperly killing critters with it grin

I've read somewhere that Harry Selby bought a Winch 70 (458 WM) when he had to send his rigby in UK for repairs. It took three years to get the rigby back, but when it was functional again he would have kept the Winch though.

From what I read on it, when he did get the Rigby back, he kept using the 458 Win M70 and the Rigby was sold to a Safari client by the name of Frank Lyon who lives in the US and several US gunwriters have handled and fired this gun personally since then.Was covered by Joe Coogan , JB,and maybe Layne Simpson.? Magnum Man
My Winchester Model 70 worked for me there.
[Linked Image]
Nice..........an old boy....real trophy. cool
That's a beaut!
Hey I'm a rookie, I admit it, but I have never heard of the M70 being inadequate for anything. What is the perceived shortcoming?
John Knowles carried one when we hunted with him in Zambia years ago. It did not have much bluing left, as I recall, but it worked fine. I think many of his PH colleagues had them too.

Norm Solberg
American Lawyer In Japan

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Harry Manners, Finn Aaggard,Harry Selby....no doubt some others I can't recall....no M70's?

Who said so? confused
(Just to be clear, Harry Selby didn't have a Win 70 - he broke his double rifle when someone backed over it in the truck and he bought a Rigby made .416 built on a Mauser action, which he used for many years aferwards.)

Who was pointing out the shortcoming of a Win 70 anyway? Its basically a Mauser action anyway, if it is the CRF version. Use either.

I know who used one in Africa - JOC did. They are pretty popular among South Africans that I know, and in .30/06.
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
(Just to be clear, Harry Selby didn't have a Win 70 - he broke his double rifle when someone backed over it in the truck and he bought a Rigby made .416 built on a Mauser action, which he used for many years aferwards.)

Who was pointing out the shortcoming of a Win 70 anyway? Its basically a Mauser action anyway, if it is the CRF version. Use either.

I know who used one in Africa - JOC did. They are pretty popular among South Africans that I know, and in .30/06.

Selby used a M70 in 458 while his 416 Rigby was being rebarreled....I also have seen mention of a 300H&H being part of his kit for plains game.

Of course JOC used the M70 there....a 270, and 375H&H IIRC.
And, interestingly enough, Selby's Model 70 .458 is the push-feed model.

One of Finn Aagaard's two .458's was also a push-feed Model 70. The other was on a Mauser action--but he mostly used his pre-64 Model 70 .375 H&H. The .458's were mostly for backing up elephant hunters.
JB: Yup! smile
Its just a shame that Winchester did not profile the current M70 like the pre 64. That 375 H&H handles like a truck axle because the barrel is sooo heavy,

458 win mag not too bad though.
Done 18 years of PH work with a 'post 64' model 70 in 458...NEVER ever had a seconds problem with it! Pre 64's are very sought after in africa! Sold the gun for 3x what I bought it new for after about 300 rounds down the barrel! OK I scoped it with a Leupold Vari X lll. 1.5 to 5 - great scope never had to re zero except once when I changed bullet weights!
© 24hourcampfire