Home
Posted By: Gary O African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
I heard on the news this morning that an African wildcat had gotten loose around St. Peters, MO. Must have been somebodys privately owned cat. No zoos around here. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks...
Posted By: ingwe Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
Nope.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
If it is indeed an African wildcat, it looks just about like a grayish-brown tabbycat. In fact it's commonly believed that African wildcats were the ancestors of domestic cats. It would be dangerous to small birds and mammals, just like a feral cat.

But you never know exactly what animal news-people might call an African wildcat!
Posted By: JJHACK Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
Nobody in America aside from a PH living here, is going to tell it from a domestic house cat. Every time I see one in RSA around the place I have to look twice myself to determine which it is.

The only issue will be that it will breed just like any other cat and the improved genetics will refresh those lost over centuries of domestication of the feral house cat.

No different then somebody putting out a dozen european hogs in texas to inject fresh wild hog genetics to those living there wild.
Posted By: Gary O Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
Thanks for the insights...
Posted By: JJHACK Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
[Linked Image]

If you look close you will see some of the legs are striped and the last 1/3 of the tail is too. However a casual glance would not cause any thought other then a feral or domestic cat.

Not all are striped equally, I have seen a few that had amazing stripes, but for the most part they are solid grey with minimal stripes.
Posted By: RAC Re: African Wildcat? - 11/05/11
I caught an wildcat in 2005 while hunting in South Africa. I was able to smuggle her home in my gun case. Now she lives with us in Louisiana! grin

[Linked Image]

Posted By: crshelton Re: African Wildcat? - 11/06/11
While still hunting for bushbuck on the Crocodile River in SA one evening, we saw a wildcat out looking for it's dinner and it looked to me like a feral house cat. When it saw us, it showed little interest and went back hunting.

Had that been on our Texas deer lease it would have been shot as feral cats predate on quail and other small birds.
Posted By: safariman Re: African Wildcat? - 11/06/11
RAC, I smuggled one home as well! One has to be very careful around him as he is quite dangerous.....

[Linked Image]

Especially if one sounds anything like a can opener or a can of tuna.

Posted By: northcountry Re: African Wildcat? - 11/06/11
Mark
Looking at that kitty cat I would say far to many cans of tuna have found their way into it's tummy.!! Cheers NC
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: African Wildcat? - 11/06/11
How the heck can anyone smuggle a cat in a gun case? the flight is about 17 hours and the TSA searches the gun case upon landing.
Posted By: Fjold Re: African Wildcat? - 11/07/11
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
How the heck can anyone smuggle a cat in a gun case? the flight is about 17 hours and the TSA searches the gun case upon landing.

It's called a joke.
Posted By: ingwe Re: African Wildcat? - 11/07/11
Yep. besides...stuffing one of them in a carry-on would be like stuffing a chainsaw into a gym bag...while it was running....
Posted By: safariman Re: African Wildcat? - 11/07/11
Well put. MY wildcat, however, would jump in of his own accord if there was an open can of canned cat food in the bag.
Posted By: paul375 Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep. besides...stuffing one of them in a carry-on would be like stuffing a chainsaw into a gym bag...while it was running....

Sounds like it could be a CATastrophe!!!!!!!
Posted By: JJHACK Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
I caught a young caracal alive, ran it down and stepped on it like a snake then picked it up behind the neck. It was a freaking beast to hang onto and it would have shredded every inch of me had it gotten the chance.
Posted By: Gary O Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I caught a young caracal alive, ran it down and stepped on it like a snake then picked it up behind the neck. It was a freaking beast to hang onto and it would have shredded every inch of me had it gotten the chance.

Maybe cause you squashed it like a grape after chasing it thru the bush? Think you pissed it off?
Posted By: JJHACK Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
I think they come out of the box angry, and my effort would not have been in the direction of compassion and understanding with this little devil. I think he misunderstood my intentions, of feeding and caring for him every day, for somebody that wanted to eat him,.... or relieve him of his hide.

I know the hunter with me at the time took pictures of the event, I don't have them handy with me right now. I did put him in a duffle bag that I believe was the hunters bag used for his things. That cat was not at all happy in the sack either. If it was one month older I would not have been able to run it down, nor would I have been able to hold it in my bare un-gloved hands. As it was, he was like trying to safely grab a razor edged frisby somebody tossed to you.
Posted By: Gary O Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
Good story...
Posted By: safariman Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
I have seen that photo. I hope you can post it again here, JJ. Good stuff, that.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

If it was not a FAT Cat, then it would have been a FLAT Cat, I think.
Posted By: Ringman Re: African Wildcat? - 11/08/11
Gary O,

Does a .416 Remington necked down to .375 qualify as an African wildcat? Or is it only an American wildcat?

By the way a few years ago a Tiger got loose just west of town. I didn't know whether to go hunting for it with my .454 or the .375-.416. Neither one worked, though. Someone got it before me.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: African Wildcat? - 11/09/11
I can tell you that an African Wildcat shot with a 300 gr. Swift A Frame from a .375 H&H at 30 yards will result in bookends!!

Mike
© 24hourcampfire