Home
My wife is actually pressuring me to get a hunt organized. I would like it to be a good experience for her so she will wish to return and bring the kids the next time. It looks like every operation out there is luxurious and that she will certainly appreciate.

There are too many operations out there to make up my mind. The only requirement I really have is to hunt free ranging animals and have the ability to see members of the big five.

Namibia? South Africa?

Thanks

it is not easy to see the big five and hunt plains game at the same place, especially in SA......spend a few days in a park like Kruger. Shake off the jet lag and see the big 5 plus a whole lot more....then go on your plains game hunt....there are several threads about this with several suggestions of good operations to hunt with...not sure what free ranging means to you....in SA some operations have thousands of acres fenced....if fences bother you, you might consider Namibia or Zimbabwe....
Zimbabwe
The Save Conservancy
Mokore Safaris

http://www.mokoresafaris.com/

[email protected]

Very good people
The Save is 850,000 acres
I saw everything but leopard including black rhino on Mokore.
Sorry, I don't require seeing all the species in the big five but it would be nice to have the chance of seeing an elephant, buffalo and maybe a lion to get some pictures.

I was looking at Hannes Swanepoel in South Africa. Anyone hunt with his operation before? His website reads that they have government concessions outside of Kruger.
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Zimbabwe
The Save Conservancy

+1
NAMIBIA

Originally Posted by ingwe
NAMIBIA

That's the problem there are hundreds people in Namibia who offer hunts, I need a solid 5 suggestions from people who have been there to narrow it down.
Okie Dokie...

Okarumuti safaris
tjsafaris
Erden hunting
Outside of the Caprivi and of course Etosha (no hunting obviously), where the heck would one be certain to see and encounter the BIG 5 in Namibia???
Certain? no place really...

There are buffalo on waterburg plateau, lion on the border of Etosha, and leopards scattered throught...but none are a certainty....

I went with the Namibia suggestion because he mentioned taking family...just seems a bit more "user freindly" than Zim....
The SAVE and Bubye in Zim are user/family friendly. And one WILL encounter members of the BIG 5 during a hunt in either of those locations. Just sayin'...
Figured that...but I was not impressed ( in the good way...) gettin' in and out of Zim...course, I was there in 2000 when the land grabbing was going on...
OK, for the helluva it, here is my suggestion. We hunted with the following in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

It's your 1st trip. You don't want to obsess over multiple flights, guns, etc. Go to RSA. Go to Krueger Nat. Park for 2-3 days. Get over the jet lag, see most of the big 5, then transfer to their camp. Hunt for at least 10 days, then come home. You'll be glad you did. wink

maddog
Alright forget I said anything about the big 5. I just thought it would be neat to see an elephant or the others and get some pics while we were hunting.

Is all of RSA fenced and Namibia fenced? Am I getting to hung up on the high fence thing?

I think it would be nice to have a sticky on this forum for people to put recommended outfits on. One for bad experiences as well.

I might recommend attending your local SCI chapter banquet as you will be able to discuss with members that have been to many African countries. You might also score a great deal on a hunt.

ALASKA KENAI PENINSULA CHAPTER

Soldotna � Alaska � Sports Center

June 09, 2012 � Contact - Keith Phillips - Phone - (907) 776-5573 or fax (907) 776-5470 - Email - [email protected]

Probably the best course of action right now is to determine which PG you wish to hunt. That will determine where you should focus and obtain recommendations.
I'd also vote for a Kruger viewing safari and a nearby hunting safari. I've hunted really good parts of "wild Africa" and seen or hunted all of the big five outside of parks except rhino, but it ain't gonna happen in Namibia without a LOT of driving from place to place, plus luck.

Your family will also have a much better opportunity to photograph any of the Big 5 in Kruger than while taking part in a hunting safari. Animals tend to be a little shy when hunted. You may see them in a hunting concession, but relatively briefly, and at longer distances. If that's OK with the rest of your family, go for it. But in my experience a family trip is better served with both some park viewing and some strictly hunting time.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Probably the best course of action right now is to determine which PG you wish to hunt. That will determine where you should focus and obtain recommendations.

That one I've had figured out for years. Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra Warthog, and if possible Eland. I believe they can all be found in the same areas.
Originally Posted by hntr1

That one I've had figured out for years. Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra Warthog, and if possible Eland. I believe they can all be found in the same areas.

Then I'm in agreement with the Poobah.

NAMIBIA.

Johann Veldsman Shona Hunting Adventures
http://www.shona-adventures.com

Jan du Plessis Sebra Hunting Safaris
http://www.sebrahunt.com

Both are excellent, and come highly recommended. Both are in close proximity to Etosha National Park. Either can arrange some time at Etosha, the nearby Himba villages, or even a short trip to Bushmanland to spend a day among the San Wa Bushmen.
And where would you see the Big 5, other than elephant? Black rhino, probably, but lion are iffy in Etosha. And buffalo?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And where would you see the Big 5, other than elephant? Black rhino, probably, but lion are iffy in Etosha. And buffalo?

Was brought up earlier.

Afterwards, OP posted:

Originally Posted by hntr1
Alright forget I said anything about the big 5. I just thought it would be neat to see an elephant or the others and get some pics while we were hunting.
Well, gee!

Guess his theoretical priorities changed rapidly. My mistake.
I might add that any trip to Africa without some chance to see at least three of the Big 5 seems a little thin to me, whether while hunting or in a park.

Unless I'm hunting wild Africa, I always try to visit a park, to observe and photograph not just the Big 5 but ANYTHING....
But a trip through Etosha plus a Namibian hunt could be the equivalent to the Kruger/RSA thing...less big 5 in the park, more phun on the hunt....? Dont know, havent hunted RSA..but you guys have...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, gee!

Guess his theoretical priorities changed rapidly. My mistake.

I didn't realize I could be swayed that easily. Looking into hunting plains game in Zimbabwe and the price tag that is. I can see elephants in the zoo I guess.
Believe me, elephants in the zoo ain't the same thing--and neither are buffalo or lions....
yeah......or lions........

[Linked Image]
If fences are such an issue that it's all you are going to think about then Zimbabwe, Botswana and Mozambique are your answers. Even the game parks like Chirisa and Hwange do not have fences so these animals walk around wherever they want to go.

Depending on where you hunt you may have the opportunity of seeing elephant and cutting the tracks of lion and leopard. Some areas, like Gokwe (South and North) you will not see as much as the locals have a lot to do with limiting numbers. Stay away from the Gwayi area as it has been grabbed and severely screwed up.

You saw all the references to Namibia so I am not going to dwell on it. Bear in mind there are low fences all over Namibia and even though animals like kudu, eland and impala scale a low fence like it was not even there, many animals cannot and do not cross even a low fence.

In your mind: what would make a government concession different from any other concession in South Africa?

I forgot to mention that gemsbok do not occur in Zimbabwe.
We are doing Chobe for the big critter views then heading south to hunt plains game. Seems like a reasonable plan.
Your chances for seeing elephant in Chobe is rather good smile Not too far from the Victoria Falls depending on where in Chobe you are going to. Are you flying to Kasane Tony?
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Your chances for seeing elephant in Chobe is rather good smile Not too far from the Victoria Falls depending on where in Chobe you are going to. Are you flying to Kasane Tony?

Yes we are. A few days at Vic Falls before we do.
Then I'm in agreement with the Poobah.

NAMIBIA.

Johann Veldsman Shona Hunting Adventures
http://www.shona-adventures.com

Deposit down Last Year, headed there Next Year.
Oh Yeaahh...

So THIRSTY, This Day next Year.
Oh Yeaahh...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by maddog
OK, for the helluva it, here is my suggestion. We hunted with the following in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

It's your 1st trip. You don't want to obsess over multiple flights, guns, etc. Go to RSA. Go to Krueger Nat. Park for 2-3 days. Get over the jet lag, see most of the big 5, then transfer to their camp. Hunt for at least 10 days, then come home. You'll be glad you did. wink

maddog
+1
But a trip through Etosha plus a Namibian hunt could be the equivalent to the Kruger/RSA thing...less big 5 in the park, more phun on the hunt....? Dont know, havent hunted RSA..but you guys have...

Totally agree with Ingwe....

Mainly cause that's what he recommended I do and it was a fantastic hunt and Namibia is a very nice country and very easy to get around. And the people are friendly as heck.
Chris...just had another freind get back from essentially the same trip you took....he and his wife had a blast and came away with some nice stuff....
Another good family-friendly safari is the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I've been a couple of times with Kevin Thomas (www.ktsafaris.co.za), and he does most of his RSA hunting on a great 40,000 acre place northeast of Grahamstown. It's classic Eastern Cape THICK up-and-down for native Cape bushbuck and kudu, plus some other stuff, some on more level ground.

All around there are plenty of family-frenndly tours, including the huge Addo Elephant Park (with not only elephant but buffalo and lots of other stuff), plus private game parks with all the Big Five for photos--if you count white rhino.
Chris...just had another freind get back from essentially the same trip you took....he and his wife had a blast and came away with some nice stuff....

I'm chomping at the bit to do Zim in three weeks but I'd love to take one of, or both, of my daughters to Namibia.

Loved the country and they'd love the hunting and seeing Etosha.
Uhlenhorst Safaris, Namibia. Went in 2010, and want to again....soon
Personally, I would go to Botswana. I've got some outfitters up there with truly huge areas and loads of plains game at good prices. You will get to feel wild africa. South Africa would be a good second choice. They are both good places for your first safari.
When do the new regulations in Botswana take effect?
Have not been hunting in Africa yet, but plan to go to Namibia in 2013 for Plains Game.
I looked at outfits for over a year before I settled on Omujeve Safari near Windhoek. www.omujevesafaris.com
Lot of good feedback on Accurate Reloading.
My wife said if she was going, it had to look upscale.
Go to there website; looks upscale to me.

Lugerman

The new regulations for Botswana don't affect the private property hunts.
Originally Posted by lugerman
Have not been hunting in Africa yet, but plan to go to Namibia in 2013 for Plains Game.
I looked at outfits for over a year before I settled on Omujeve Safari near Windhoek. www.omujevesafaris.com
Lot of good feedback on Accurate Reloading.
My wife said if she was going, it had to look upscale.
Go to there website; looks upscale to me.

Lugerman

Those guys do a real nice job. Almost went there myself and talked with them a bunch.

Good guys and a nice set up, I'm betting your wife will be VERY happy.
A couple of places you might consider are:

Tuli Block Botswana where you'll have good plains game hunting and stand a good chance of seeing leopard and elephant...... both of which can sometimes be hunted if appropriate permits are obtained. The leopards are especially big in the Tuli BTW..... One thing you need to be careful of in the Tuli is that some people tend to (immensely) exaggerate the size of the hunting area, so be cautious of that.

Some of the RSA concessions that border the Limpopo River and are opposite the aforementioned Tuli Block.

Note I'm talking about the Tuli Block NOT the Tuli Circle.

I don't pay to advertise on this site and I'm retired now anyway but feel free to PM me if you want specific recommendations.

If you want to have a good hunt and not ride around in a truck all day go with Agarob horseback hunting , Johnny and Marina Schicklering run a world class operation and very good game to hunt. Shop in Windok and Wavis Bay. You and the family will love it and it is very safe. PM me for details.
I've done 4 safaris totaling nearly 70 days of hunting across Zim, Botswana and South Africa, with the last trip being a family trip to South Africa where I took my then wife and both children. While the Zim and Botswana hunts were fabulous long affairs (two of them were 24 day safaris with lots of DG hunting) I really enjoyed our trip to South Africa.

Our South African hunt started with 3 days of touring Kruger Park on our own, then two days in the Thornybush Private Game Reserve near Hoedspruit. In those five days we saw elephants including several 100 pounders up close, buffalo bulls up to nearly 50", Black and White Rhinos, 2 leopards, and nearly a dozen lions, including a very old, large male up close (think hit him with a stick close). Those five days were absolutely fabulous and my family enjoyed themselves immensely. We then took 5 days to hunt for my son and myself. We hunted hard for eland, but I never saw a bull I wanted to shoot, however my son shot a fantastic kudu bull, a nice warthog and impala while I took a very nice nyala, which was the only thing I wanted besides and eland.

We booked that trip through Marita Dyason of Spear Safaris. SHe and her husband Ernest have two young children, so they understand the family safari concept really well. She is extremely detail oriented, and arranged everything for us from the time we landed in Phalaborwa until we left there 10 days later. I recommend them without hesitation. www.spearsafaris.com

I'm now planning my next safari, and will most likely hunt only plains game for about 10 days. I've looked at South Africa and Namibia, but am really focusing on Botswana and Mozambique. The quarry will include eland (#1 priority) and kudu and depending on where I decide to go the others will fall in line after that. I'm leaning toward Mokore Safaris if I go to Moz, and Tholo Safaris if I go to Botswana. Both have fabulous eland hunting, as well as very good kudu. If I decide to include buffalo, then it'll probably be Mokore in the Save Conservancy of Zim. Depending on whether I take a lady friend or not, I'll also visit Vic Falls, Chobe or Kruger Parks before the hunting commences.

If you want a great family safari, I hope this information helps you.
Last Sept. my wife & I went to Namibia and we had the time of our life. Plains game every where and the wife while taking a walk with the owner's wife heard and saw tracks of a leopard. Klawerburg.com
We share business with shelanti game reserve all the big five are there. We hunt the surrounding lands which is loaded with PG. we have taken several kudu already this year to 58"

The hunters in camp right now whom vist this site regular will be back next week. Ask them what they think. Our camps range from lodge, bed and breakfast, chalets, to remote tents what do you want?

If you can wait til next week you will hear directly from several guys and couples that are in our camp right now.
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The hunters in camp right now whom vist this site regular will be back next week. Ask them what they think. Our camps range from lodge, bed and breakfast, chalets, to remote tents what do you want?

I was in camp last week. The quality and quantity of plains animals (as well as other) is phenomenal. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. Bob
Originally Posted by Bob33
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I was in camp last week. The quality and quantity of plains animals (as well as other) is phenomenal. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. Bob

How about some pictures and a report!

Really interested in pictures of the lodge area. The wife is going next year and thats first and foremost on her mind.
I have 100s of photos and am not sure how to post them all since they're probably too large. I'll try to find a way to put them on a site where I can include the link. I added just a few.

You and your wife will have a wonderful time. The weather was ideal. In two weeks I saw no clouds. It was in the 40s at night, and in the low to mid 70s during the day. You will be treated exceedingly well by the staff, and see more game than you can imagine unless you have visited before.

If this is your first visit, there are a few things that can make your trip easier. First, get a prescription for some Ambien pills. They will help you to sleep a few hours on the jet trip over and get a good rest the first evening. Take fewer clothes than you'll think you need since they can be washed every day. Camouflage is not only OK, but advisable from my experience. No bright colors. Make sure your boots are comfortable. Take a jacket for mornings and evenings and a good sun hat for mid day. You will have Wi-Fi and cell coverage at the facilities. You won't go hungry. You will be provided with lots of water during the day: take advantage of it. There is nothing to fear from bugs, snakes, or natives. You will be in a very safe part of the country. I worked with most of the PHs and trackers, and they are all first rate.

I brought my own rifle, and would suggest doing the same if possible. I took 40 rounds of ammunition and came home with 25 (five for confirming zero upon arrival, ten at animals.)

You will likely shoot more animals in fewer days than you planned. If you do, you can add more animals, sight see, or take it easy. Shelanti Game Reserve is next door and a marvelous place to sight see.

One of the hunters in our camp brought his non-hunting wife along, and she had an absolutely wonderful time.

Please feel free to post a question or PM me if I can be of any assistance. Bob

Attached picture DSC_0547_E1_Kudu.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0576.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0577.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0596.jpg
Attached picture DSC_1248.jpg
Thanks Bob. I may be PMing you with a few questions later. I have hunted with Jim at Landelani several years ago, but haven't hunting the area he is in now.

This will be a family trip with the kids doing the hunting (graduation presents) and the wife and I as the non hunters. I know we will be well taken care of, but my wife considers a hotel without a spa as roughing it.
© 24hourcampfire