Home
Posted By: tankerjockey Eland bullets - 05/18/12
3weeks from heading to s.a. looking at eland as the largest I'm after. Choice of 200 gr old style speer grand slam, 200 gr lapua mega or 168 tipped triple shock. Coming from a 30-06 what say you?
Les
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
I'd be all over the 168 TTSX.

Unless of course you're taking a 260....grin Sorry wrong thread.

Dober
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
Three weeks from leaving and you ain't got it figured out, your in trouble. I wouldn't use any of them. Try 180 TTSX tipped or 180 Accubond.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
hey dober that's what I've been thinking and they shoot great . but then I remembered I have the speers and the lapua so just checkin.
thanks for your thoughts .
Les
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
Boy, Eland sure has been a hot topic here the last week or so.

I like the 168-gr TTSX as well, given the choices.
Well Ed, I sho nuff had it figured out but then, I second guess myself. Just lookin to the fire for backup.
Les
Posted By: RedLeg Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
If I didn't have a .338 handy (there I go again :-) !), then I think I would count on that TTSX for everything to include that eland.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
grin

Have a great trip tanker!
Posted By: ghost Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
I killed my Eland with an 06 and the 165gr Nosler partition, so that weight bullet plenty. Hit mine behind the left side ribs and went clear through to the right front shoulder. Penetration was excellent, as can be seen. The Nosler Partition, Swift A frame, or Ttsx ought to be fine.. just put it where it matters.The big ole heavy bullets were fine back in the old days when penetration with the ligher ones not good, but any of the three above will penetrate all you're likely to need. Last year I hit a Kudu, at 275 Yds, using the 150gr Ttsx in a 308, and it penetrated from the right front shoulder, back through the Kudu and came out his side, through the paunch..can't need more than that.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
TSX...there IS no substitute...
Thank you Peter, been planning for nearly 3 years. Now down to 3 weeks, wow! Twenty six days to absorb as much as we can of the land, the cultures and all that is South Africa.
Les
Posted By: RinB Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
TTSX or Nosler E-tip in 165-168 grain. Either are far superior to the others you mentioned. Ask those with contrary opinions how many times they have hunted Africa and how many Eland they have shot.
Posted By: safariman Re: Eland bullets - 05/18/12
Yep, been there and done that, will say with no qualms that the TSX and even better TTSX is THE bullet in this instance.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Eland bullets - 05/19/12
Swift A Frame, Trophy Bonded, Nosler Partition; in that order.
I still like mine leaded. Monolithic construction makes me a little nervous...Too many reports about lack of expansion a possability.
Posted By: safariman Re: Eland bullets - 05/19/12
Gary,

Interesting home city.... All three of my children were born at Roseville COmmunity hospital, many with my last name in City/County government there over the years, son is a RE Broker there now. Small world, eh? PM sent on that topic.

Give the Bipped Triple Shocks a go, most reliable expansion bullets going right now IMO, and still able to out penetrate the others by a good margin.
Posted By: DLS Re: Eland bullets - 05/20/12
You'll be better off shooting a heavier bullet than a 168 grain if they shoot well in your rifle. Every PH I've spoken with, or hunted with, recommended heavy for caliber bullets. At least 180s in 30 caliber rifles, 225 in 338 and so on.

All those bullets are good, as long as you put it where it should go, you should be fine. That said, a couple PH friends have told me they've seen more Eland lost to poor shots than probably any other animal.

If you can shoot a bigger rifle or heavier bullet, why wouldn't you?
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Eland bullets - 05/20/12
If your rifle groups well with it, my recommendation is the 180 grain TSX. Better sectional density, which results in deeper penetration, all else being equal. Actually, you won't go wrong with either the 165 or 180 TSX.

Eland are quite large. Bullet placement is critical, and the bullet must be able to penetrate into the vitals. Avoid heavy bones and don't squeeze one off until you are certain of precise bullet placement into a vital area.

I'm a big fan of the '06, but consider it too light for Eland, which can run quite a long way when marginally shot. My recommendation is a .338 as a minimum and a .375 or .416 as the most appropriate for the largest antelope in Africa. They can absorb a lot of lead (or copper). Don't admire your shot. Immediately follow up with another and another until the animal is down.

Good hunting!
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: Eland bullets - 05/20/12
If you shoot the .30-06 well, go with the 200 Grand Slams.

Oh and start practising NOW.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Eland bullets - 05/21/12
Originally Posted by Gary O
I still like mine leaded. Monolithic construction makes me a little nervous...Too many reports about lack of expansion a possability.

I'm on this side.....from a .30-06 a 200 grainer still works for me.....and it's worthy of Eland!
Posted By: Motorist Re: Eland bullets - 05/25/12
Tankerjockey...have used Lapua Mega 180gr and 200gr in 30-06 now for 20 years (or more)...It's my favorite in this caliber in moose or wild boar hunt and never dissapoint me (also Norma Oryx is cood). Speer Grand slam seems similar. If distance stay below 150yrds this should be OK. If distance is more I'd look for slighly bigger caliber...eland is big animal...LOL
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Eland bullets - 05/25/12
Originally Posted by Gary O

My thoughts as well...
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Eland bullets - 05/25/12
Originally Posted by ghost
Ttsx ought to be fine.. just put it where it matters.The big ole heavy bullets were fine back in the old days when penetration with the ligher ones not good, but any of the three above will penetrate all you're likely to need. Last year I hit a Kudu, at 275 Yds, using the 150gr Ttsx in a 308, and it penetrated from the right front shoulder, back through the Kudu and came out his side, through the paunch..can't need more than that.

Quite a few of the younger, up-and-coming PHs are starting to think like this. During my research, I noticed most of the more experienced guys are still recommending heavy lead bullets based on their formative years' experience, while the younger guys are seeing the benefits of lighter, monolithic bullets during theirs and are recommending them. I figure neither is a wrong answer as the PHs of the era are merely reporting thier observations at the time.
© 24hourcampfire