Home
Anyone know anything about them? Owners are Barry and Lizelle Burchell. They have been in the safari business for 20 years or so. Reason being they are offering a really unbelievable package on a plains game safari. Thanks.
Google Barry B and Scott Anglin enough said!!! You can throw in Cabela's too if you like. Prepare for a long read.
I talked to him yesterday at the SCI show in Dallas and was wondering the exact same thing. Looks like a heck of a deal!
I googled and found lots of stories.
This just one of many.. http://allafrica.com/stories/201104190155.html
John

That link doesn't work.....
Link works now.
Don't let this thread die. He is in the states at the SCI shows trying to suck in more American hunters into his scam! DO YOUR RESEARCH WITH THIS OUTFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTT
For the traveling hunter, Google is your friend.

Before I book a hunt I check with the Hunting Report, use the search function on this site and AR, and do a Google search on both the name of the outfitter and PH. By doing so I have avoided some headaches.

Everyone likes a good deal, but if it sounds too good to be true.....

In my experience expensive hunts aren't necessarily good and cheap hunts aren't necessarily poor; but generally hunts that are inexpensive to the market either have marginal habitat, poor animals, a poor camp, or business problems. Usually they are best left alone.

You can hunt Namibia with some excellent outfits for a reasonable price. Many of them have been listed on this forumn. Looking for the lowest bidder is not in your best interest.
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT
Two days until JG takes off and warped for ever. Safe travels!
Gracias Amigo! Saturday I will take the pebble from your hand. I did better last night......got about 5 1/2 hrs of sleep.... thanks to you and all the other bastids that have helped me out.... smile
You are soooooooooooo screwed..... grin
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Gracias Amigo! Saturday I will take the pebble from your hand. I did better last night......got about 5 1/2 hrs of sleep.... thanks to you and all the other bastids that have helped me out.... smile

BTW - You suck!!
It's fun being me right now........!!!
URGENT NOTICE:

Due to adverse cold conditions all hunting in South Africa has been postponed for a week. This affects Limpopo specifically. All hunters are requested to stay home until further notice.

wink

Have fun.
I bet for a nano second, his heart fell into his stomach!
I'm bettin wild horses couldn't keep him off that airplane....
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
URGENT NOTICE:

Due to adverse cold conditions all hunting in South Africa has been postponed for a week. This affects Limpopo specifically. All hunters are requested to stay home until further notice.

wink

Have fun.

grinHe has so many knives stickin' out of his back that he looks like a porcupine grin He'll NEVER get past the TSA thugs now! grin
.... thanks to you and all the other bastids that have helped me out.... smile

Looks like I nailed it previously..... smile
I saw an ad for them in the last SCI magazine. I can't believe SCI is putting anything with his name on it associated with them. Guess they just wanted the money for his full page color add!
Anyone know anything about them? Owners are Barry and Lizelle Burchell. They have been in the safari business for 20 years or so. Reason being they are offering a really unbelievable package on a plains game safari. Thanks.

Got the fever, don't cha? There is no known cure. Don't say you weren't warned!!!! grin
btt
How did JG do??
Wound up going with Koedoeberg Safaris in SA. Fantastic time, great people.
Glad to hear it. I hunted SA this spring with Mankananza Safaris. Life changing experience. Going back in 2015 if not next spring if I can swing $$ it. Kevin
BTT
I hunted with Frontier/Burchell in Namibia in Aug 2012 with a friend - we had great hunts, can't complain about anything on the hunts, we shot nice animals, HOWEVER, our heads, horns, capes are STILL in Namibia, due to a 'problem with the permit to export'. If you consider using them, you must ask about this!
CMG
BTT
btt
I see he is starting to advertise heavily with Safari Club and others. SCI suspended him, people who hunted with him had some of their animals confiscated (because of him falsifying paperwork), and others who hunted with him had to spend $ on top of their safari cost to defend themselves and try to keep out of his legal mess that he created and they had nothing to do with!!!! And now SCI is back supporting this guy letting him advertise with them and I even saw him at a booth at the Dallas show. How can this be???? I called SCI legal team and got a "we'll look into it and get back with you" That was in Nov 2013, still waiting. PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY AND HIS OPERATIONS> DOOO your research!!!!!!!!!
Do research on this guy !! Just google him.
Controversial is an understatement, arrested in the US for trying to smuggle in a leopard skin.
I know plenty land owners that have not been paid or need to use him for payment.
Pro hunters that don't get paid and need to sue him.

Ask Scott Anglin, what he thinks of this operation.
Regards
If you want a different and great hunt look up Agarob Hunting Safaris. Lots of game and a fair deal. Been going with them five years now and never had any trouble with trophies or the cost.All free range in big country. And its horseback on good stock. Many people come over that have never ridden and do fine.
Another vote for Agarob Safaris.
Originally Posted by pdkillr
I see he is starting to advertise heavily with Safari Club and others. SCI suspended him, people who hunted with him had some of their animals confiscated (because of him falsifying paperwork), and others who hunted with him had to spend $ on top of their safari cost to defend themselves and try to keep out of his legal mess that he created and they had nothing to do with!!!! And now SCI is back supporting this guy letting him advertise with them and I even saw him at a booth at the Dallas show. How can this be???? I called SCI legal team and got a "we'll look into it and get back with you" That was in Nov 2013, still waiting. PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY AND HIS OPERATIONS> DOOO your research!!!!!!!!!

For this reason, as well as SCI's support of Jeff Blair and his Worldwide Hunting outfit....SCI has become a joke IMO.
I wish we could get a main forum topic going that you enter the name of the outfitter/operator, state or country they are in and just a simple check yes/no or maybe box on whether you would go back or refer them. that way there would not be 2 sides to the story or explanation just a simple answer for others to use as to whether they really need to use due diligence before dropping a ton of money for a hunt. I think this would be a great starting point, because I for one would look at specific outfit and if they had more than one no or maybe I would know not to waste my time.
btt
btt
btt
pdkillr,

Okay, It's blatantly obvious by now that you have a personal axe to grind with this particular outfitter.

Care to share all the gory details?

First hand accounts almost always hold more weight than a link to outside sources.

No problem without me going thru all the details look at page 10 of my posts' and you can see how I felt when I just got back from my first safari. Really had no axe to grind with them, just felt like I was being taken advantage of. Then go to page 8 and see my post of what happened 3 yrs later. And then you can google the guys name and have some more great reading. this guy costs me several thousand $'s of my hard earned, saved $, because of his dishonesty and ruined my taste for Africa. Now he is back at it again being supported by SCI, I don't care if the courts didn't find him guilty, that wasn't between me and him. But what I do know for a fact is that he cost not only me but several other hunters lots of money to defend ourselves and get back seized trophies. So, way I see it if I can get anyone even remotely thinking about hunting with him to change their mind and spend their $ elsewhere, then that is my small victory, since MY $ is gone. Hope this answers your question.
Posted By: DHN Re: Frontier Safaris, Namibia & SA - 02/20/14
+1 for Agarob. Great time, a lot of space, wonderful people, and quick handling/shipping of trophies.
btt
Another good guy in Namibia would be Jon Visser of Klawerberg. The wife & I had a fantastic time with him in 2011 and plan on going back if not this year then 2015.
btt
btt
btt
btt
if you read this thread please pass it on to everyone you know. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them just pm me. thanks
btt sorry for you guys having to see this over and over, but this was my first and only trip that my wife gave me as a xmas present and thanks to this outfitter it turned into a complete nightmare!!!! So just trying to warn everyone who might be thinking about using him!!!!
pd, what was the outcome of this nightmare?

I'm dealing with one myself. The Taxidermist/shipper (both owned by the same owner)never purchased or purchased limited insurance coverage for my trophies. Well, long story short, they got damaged in transit, and when I tried to filed for a claim, I was told that my coverage was from SA to first port of entry. When I asked for a copy of the insurance certificate, all I got were excuses from the shipper. Three of my trophies are damaged, and a Zulu shield is damaged as well. Not ever, ever using this outfitter & taxidermist again and I will not recommend either.
Sorry to say but you are probably SOL. You could go the legal route but by the time you are done paying you probably could just go on another safari!! Sad but true.I ended up with all my animals but not after several thousand dollars in legal fees. Hence this post and it;s continued BTT's. Hopefully I can make him loose future clients by warning them . Hence my small victory.
pd, you are correct, I'm big time SOL. However, I received a small settlement from ESTES for their negligence, but it's not enough to get everything fixed. The guys in South Africa, basically washed their hands and don't care. The outfitter who I hunted with, support the taxidermist & shipper....I'm sure he is getting a handout for taking clients to them.

I'm also exposing this fraudulent business on the internet through several of the boards I frequent. I'm the same as you, my small victory is to warm future clients of them and hopefully I can hurt them in their pockets.

Keep it going!
Just saw Fronteir safaris' FULL PAGE ad in my new SCI magazine. Which will be my last because I am cancelling my membership. Why should I support an organization who accepts $ from and supports this outfitter who might not have been found guilty by the court system, but if you google Barry Burchell you can quickly see that he is just like the rich celebrities with DEEP pockets. None are ever convicted and punished!! And I got drug into all his mess simply because I hunted with him on my first and most likely last trip to Africa.
BTT
btt
btt
btt
I received my trophies 2 1/2 years after hunting with them in August of 2012! A problem with the Namibian government we were told...I hear that some of the 2012 trophies are still stuck in Namibia. I heard nothing but complaints from the PH's who work with them on this hunt. Many other problems too. Go with someone else.
btt
btt
btt
BTT
pdkillr,
Barry Burchell, was in a horrible light aircraft accident a few months ago, and is now paralyzed for life. I have also heard that doctors don't give him too long in his current condition before everything starts shutting down.
I have never met Barry, and I don't know your or anyone elses story, and quite frankly, its none of my business, but think as hunters, and humans, maybe it's time for a bit respect for the situation and the difficult time he is facing.
Just my honest opinion.Use it, don't use.

Wishing you only the best in your future hunting endeavors.
I had no idea, just saw his booth a the DSC in Dallas. Do you have a link to the accident would like to read about it. Sorry to hear about it, prayers go out to his family.
Hey pdkillr
This is the first time that I have actually looked for a link on the story, so this one is probably the first one to break the news.
Here you go:
http://www.heraldlive.co.za/father-son-hurt-microlight-crash/

We are situated roughly 2.5 hours from them in a Northerly direction. Basically heard it through the bush telegraph.
Whether Frontier Safaris will continue to exist, I have no idea.

All the best,
Anyone know how Barry is doing after his accident?
BTT
Barry is responding well, and getting stronger. I stopped by their booth at DSC and asked.
Good to hear
ttt
Now I see Boddington endorsing him? Thought he was a fairly respectable outdoorsman/hunter/writer? Has he not done his research on this outfit? Would like to hear from him as to why he is promoting hunting with this company. All you have to do is google the owner and company, and read until your heart is content.
TTT
You can NOT afford to go on a Cheap Hunt!!!
BTT
Anybody been with this outfit lately? Any better?
Posted By: CWD Re: Frontier Safaris, Namibia & SA - 08/24/17
I hunted in S.A. with Frontier Safari in April. I was invited to join a group of 7 hunters who all had multiple trips with Frontier. I did my research and read the reports about Barry. I trusted that my friends positive experience would continue. Barry Burchell was a fantastic host. We are both former military men which I am sure made a natural friendship. Barry's son Frederick was my PH. A very hard working young man, I enjoyed my time trying to keep up with Frederick when he had his eyes set on an animal.
This was a 10 day hunt. I took Nyala, Waterbuck, Burchell Zebra, Common Eland, Cape Kudu, and Blue Wildebeest. My girlfriend took a Blesbok. Across the board, I would consider this a fantastic hunt. The lodge, staff, food, game taken / seen and effort put forth was first class. I have yet to receive my dip /pack so I won't comment on that portion of the hunt. Barring any problems with my dip / pack, I will be hunting with them again in 2019.
Here we go again. If your interested Google search Barry Burchell leopard. Course he knew nothing about it!!!!! And he's Boddington endorsed. Crazy he would associate with a guy with his background, but I guess FREE hunts for publicity goes a long way.
Bout time to go see if SCI is still supporting this crook in Dallas!
Yep he was still there at the show. UNBELIEVABLE! Now I hear he is in some trouble with something to do with shooting a leopard on his property in SA.
So is Barry Burchell paralyzed or not?
Anyone?????
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT
BTT just saw them again at the Reno SCI unbelievable!
What does “btt” mean?
"back to the top"
Btt
Don't let this thread die. People need to know who they are dealing with!
pdkillr, I'm sorry that your first trip was ruined by the Burchell's actions. But I have to ask this, Is your life enriched by harping and BTT this thread? Do you really think that doing this is going to scare off anyone? You've offered few details. Personally, reviewing this thread, I would write you off as a malcontent. If you want to continue, i think you should get very specific on this thread about your hunt. Otherwise, let it go. Enjoy life.

Just my opinion.
Amen. It’s about time to let it go......At this point, nobody but you gives a crap
No problem without me going thru all the details look at page 10 of my posts' and you can see how I felt when I just got back from my first safari. Really had no axe to grind with them, just felt like I was being taken advantage of. Then go to page 8 and see my post of what happened 3 yrs later. And then you can google the guys name and have some more great reading. this guy costs me several thousand $'s of my hard earned, saved $, because of his dishonesty and ruined my taste for Africa. Now he is back at it again being supported by SCI, I don't care if the courts didn't find him guilty, that wasn't between me and him. But what I do know for a fact is that he cost not only me but several other hunters lots of money to defend ourselves and get back seized trophies. So, way I see it if I can get anyone even remotely thinking about hunting with him to change their mind and spend their $ elsewhere, then that is my small victory, since MY $ is gone. Hope this answers your question.

Sorry I'm bothering you. Once the post reaches 100k views, then I will be satisfied!! 78,000 plus so far. Hope I've helped some 1st time Africa hunters.
Only 20k to go!!!
merry xmas be sure and tell craig Boddington and Burchell safaris happy new year at the Reno SCI in couple monthes.
Uggh
Can you spell OCD, boys and girls??
He’s pissed off, and typing btt takes three seconds.

P
I would like to think that after 7 years of the same post, I would just get on with life......
Nope, not him.
© 24hourcampfire