Home
Posted By: sactoller Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
Ok, it has been long enough...I can't stands it no more!

This is what I am thinking. I want to hunt Cape and Leopard.

Got some outfitters that I have saved over the past few years...Looking for more outfitters and recommendations!

Posted By: DLS Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
As things stand now, you only have a few choices with regard to country, and Zimbabwe is the most likely place you'll end up for a buffalo/leopard combination. Opportunities are very limited in South Africa and Namibia for this combination, Botswana will be closed by the time you go, Zambia is back online, but not for cats as I write this, Tanzania is expensive as hell, so that pretty much leaves Mozambique or Zimbabwe.

In Zim, you could hunt very successfully with any of several operators in the Zambezi Valley, Martin Pieters, Chifuti and Charlton-McCallum all come to mind. The Save Conservancy is another option, but right now they are going through quite a struggle over the land. There'll be some options in Matetsi, though I can't recommend anyone in particular. Keep in mind that most Matetsi buffalo aren't overly wide, though there are good numbers of them. Perhaps one of your best options would be in the Bubye Valley Conservancy. Check out John Sharp Safaris in the Bubye, though there are a number of other very successful operators in that huge conservancy. Lots of buff and very good quality, plus some of the very best cat hunting in southern Africa.
Posted By: maddog Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
DLS gave you lots of great advice. I'd go to Zim. Lots of great outfitters there. Go to DSC convention next year and talk to all of them. Will second what was said about Martin Pieters and Charlton-McCallum. Mokore, in the Save has a great reputation, depending on what politics does on their land. Jon Sharp does have an excellent reputation, also, as does Shaun Buffee.

maddog
Posted By: rattler Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
dont forget the most important thing..........

TAKE ME WITH YOU!
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
that is my dream hunt....bout 20K you fiqure???....might be more with the more famous ph's........
Posted By: maddog Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/28/13
Afterum, since leopard is usually 14 days, and with the trophy fees, probably closer to $25K.

maddog
Posted By: hatari Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/30/13
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
that is my dream hunt....bout 20K you fiqure???....might be more with the more famous ph's........

That's the ball park right now. Probably not less than $20k. The $25k figure should be safe in most any scenario.
Posted By: SilentT Re: Planning next trip.... - 04/30/13
I'd try Moz. Lots of good daylight leopard hunting and some real fun buff hunting.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
Forgot how much fun it is researching for a hunt!

Since I just placed an order for a new rifle....I guess I have to go now! laugh
Posted By: 30mmplumber Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
Ok, I'll bite,,,,what is the new rifle you ordered and in what caliber?
CHAPUIS 450/400 3" NITRO EXPRESS - THE NEW MODEL BROUSSE
Posted By: ingwe Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
Now you HAVE to hunt buffalo....
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
With a solid they do very little trophy damage on the front half of steenbok.
Yep, that was my plan! This is a just in case my .404 doesn't get finished in time.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
The 450/400 is skookum...pleasant enough to shoot, and it works. Besides,it just plain feels good to have your paws wrapped around one of them when you are crawling around in the thick stuff looking to contact a buffalo you just pissed off...
Soooo, looking forward to it!

I want to find out which one in the herd, that I owe money! wink

I enjoy my Ruger #1 in .404J so this DR is going to be pretty cool!
Posted By: medicman Re: Planning next trip.... - 05/12/13
Have fun. I hope you enjoy our envy
© 24hourcampfire