Home
Posted By: RipSnort Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
Tell me about your hunting experience with PH Russ Broom.

Thanks, RS
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
Try running his name and the safari outfitter he works for through the SCI data base. Ditto for the Hunting Report data base.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
you will find that his reputation is astonishing good.

Posted By: hatari Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
His family pioneered safaris in Rhodesia - Zim. Lived the Bush War up close and personal.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
I'm kinda surprised there's even a question. Never hurts to ask, I suppose.
Posted By: hatari Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/11/13
I guess for the those not old African hands, it's worth mentioning that Russ's dad Geoff wrote a book a few years back that is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Life-Safari...0734&sr=8-1&keywords=geoff+broom
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/12/13
Only heard good things about Russ but I have never had the privilege of meeting him.

If interested in hunting in Zimbabwe, look up on John Hunt of Georgia Safaris
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/13/13
I booked a hunt with Russ Broom Safaris in 2008 though the PH was Rory Muil. Everything was exactly as represented. I took a bull elephant, a good hippo, a good buff, and a pretty big crocodile. This was in Binga District of Zimbabwe. I think Russ now hunts in a different area where there are said to be a lot of lion, and does more of he PHing personally.
Posted By: Steve Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/14/13
I also hunted with Rory in 2006. Binga. Had a great time. Shot my buff the last night. It was a hoot!

Talking with Russ now about 2014 for buff.

BTW, Rory is no longer with Broom, according to Susan Broom (mother)

Posted By: rattler Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/14/13
Originally Posted by hatari
I guess for the those not old African hands, it's worth mentioning that Russ's dad Geoff wrote a book a few years back that is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Life-Safari...0734&sr=8-1&keywords=geoff+broom

Geoff shows up in a number of pictures in Boddington's Buffalo book....
Posted By: kscowboy01 Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/14/13
Hunted with Gavin Rorke in 2008 and 2011. Gavin used to be with Russ. Hunted Binga in 2008 and it was awful. My father hunted Binga in 2002 killing cape, leopard, and elephant. He loved it, excellent hunt. By the time we returned in 2008, the poaching was off the charts. Snares, dead buffalo in snares, and buffalo that would go for miles when bumped once was par for the course. The group of guys hunting elephant were tracking it when gunfire erupted. Their elephant literally got poached right in front of them. Binga is good for hippo and croc though, as it's right on Lake Kariba.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/14/13
My 2008 hunt in Binga was not as bad as yours, though there are an awful lot of natives roaming around. We put up part of my buff for leopard bait and some native stole it. Altogether, we found 35 snares and destroyed them. think the increasing population of natives is why PHs don't hunt there any more. I briefly met Gavin Rorke in 2008 and he had not yet parted with Broom.

I also hunted with Gavin Rorke in 2011. He had split with Broom by then and had his own operation in Dande North. In three weeks I took a bull elephant, a lion, buffalo, hippo, and some plains game, not including baits. Got everything I could want except leopard, which I thought was pretty good for 21 days. I understand, though, that Gavin has now sold this concession to CMS and is hunting elsewhere in Zim.

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Russ Broom ??? - 07/22/13
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
My 2008 hunt in Binga was not as bad as yours, though there are an awful lot of natives roaming around. We put up part of my buff for leopard bait and some native stole it. Altogether, we found 35 snares and destroyed them. think the increasing population of natives is why PHs don't hunt there any more. I briefly met Gavin Rorke in 2008 and he had not yet parted with Broom.

I also hunted with Gavin Rorke in 2011. He had split with Broom by then and had his own operation in Dande North. In three weeks I took a bull elephant, a lion, buffalo, hippo, and some plains game, not including baits. Got everything I could want except leopard, which I thought was pretty good for 21 days. I understand, though, that Gavin has now sold this concession to CMS and is hunting elsewhere in Zim.

My hunting partner has hunted with Russ on 3 different safaris and speaks very highly of his operations!
© 24hourcampfire