Home
Posted By: wesheltonj DSC 2017 - 11/12/16
Who's going to DSC in January? And, what days?
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 11/13/16
Yip, will be there for the entire week. Let's have a get together at a set place?
Posted By: mrfudd Re: DSC 2017 - 11/13/16
Thurs and Fri
Posted By: EdM Re: DSC 2017 - 11/13/16
Fri, Sat, Sun
Posted By: Porsche73 Re: DSC 2017 - 11/14/16
I will be there for sure on Saturday and maybe on Sunday. Marius, I will find you and we can discuss a bushbuck and bush pig hunt. I still want a fallow deer. Email me a way we can link up. Porsche73
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 11/14/16
Originally Posted by Porsche73
I will be there for sure on Saturday and maybe on Sunday. Marius, I will find you and we can discuss a bushbuck and bush pig hunt. I still want a fallow deer. Email me a way we can link up. Porsche73

Hey Jerry,
Will do. Hoping also that we could organize a get together somewhere, to put some faces to screen-names.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: DSC 2017 - 11/15/16
Wed-Sunday
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 11/15/16
Probably all day Saturday, in my case.
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: DSC 2017 - 11/17/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Wed-Sunday

+1
Posted By: Biebs Re: DSC 2017 - 11/17/16
Whole show, as usual :-)
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: DSC 2017 - 11/17/16
Entire show, just like Biebs. I'll be at the Blaser/Mauser/Sauer booth.
Posted By: agazain Re: DSC 2017 - 12/02/16
Friday(?)
Posted By: JGRaider Re: DSC 2017 - 12/02/16
Friday and Saturday for me.
Posted By: Bwana338 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/02/16
Thursday through Sunday

I was just going through the list of displays and making a note to visit many...

Just shopping and maybe order a rifle...
Posted By: Bwana338 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Yip, will be there for the entire week. Let's have a get together at a set place?

Marius what booth with you be in ???
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by Bwana338

Just coming over to meet some people who wanted to see me through some meet and greets. Not exhibiting at the show, but will probably attend all the days.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by Bwana338

Would be nice to put a face to the name. Please let me know if your schedule will allow some time to meet. That's why I thought a little get together at a set time, date and place would be nice for the members of this forum, just a a quick round.

JGRaider, where you going to be at? Would be great to catch up.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: DSC 2017 - 12/03/16
Marius, I'm just gonna roam around. I'd love to meet you and others while I'm there too. I'll Pm you my cell #.
Posted By: wesheltonj Re: DSC 2017 - 12/03/16
Look's like its just Thursday for me.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: DSC 2017 - 12/03/16
I can't get up there til Saturday, might stay for Sunday as well.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/04/16
I would like to go, will be the first of any such shows.
Posted By: JOKERB Re: DSC 2017 - 12/11/16
Bwana338 --- I looked for list of exhibitors and have been unsuccessful-
Where do I find them -- will only be there one day ---
Thanks
Posted By: Porsche73 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/11/16
JGRaider, please pm me your cell phone# and maybe we can hook up on Friday. As you know I hunted with Marius and want to discuss another hunt with him. I look forward to hearing from you . Jerry Hoover aka Porsche73
Posted By: Porsche73 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/11/16
Whoops JGRaider,I meant Saturday. Porsche73
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
Originally Posted by gunner500

You will enjoy it smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You will enjoy it smile

DSC is supposed to be Mo' beta than SCI....would be fun...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
Verney Caron & Rigby have booths at DSC. grin

And lots of places to book hunts, too.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

You will enjoy it smile

I may have to drop a wrench in these farm gears and tear out about Jan. '17. cool
Posted By: EdM Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16

You will enjoy it smile

I may have to drop a wrench in these farm gears and tear out about Jan. '17. cool

Bring your check book. grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
They take a check? GREAT! laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
We went for a visit, first time, last year. Our 30th is next year. Wife was thinking Spain and Portugal. Wife was concerned over the terrorist chit over there. Wife likes to fish. Wife finds a Peacock Bass trip and says, "let's go". Me, "Okee Dokee". Wife decides since we are down there Machu Picchu is of interest. Oh wait, Galapagos is down there too... So we now have a three week trip booked that would fund a serious Zim hunt for big critters.
Posted By: wesheltonj Re: DSC 2017 - 12/12/16
Originally Posted by EdM
We went for a visit, first time, last year. Our 30th is next year. Wife was thinking Spain and Portugal. Wife was concerned over the terrorist chit over there. Wife likes to fish. Wife finds a Peacock Bass trip and says, "let's go". Me, "Okee Dokee". Wife decides since we are down there Machu Picchu is of interest. Oh wait, Galapagos is down there too... So we now have a three week trip booked that would fund a serious Zim hunt for big critters.

As long as you are in Peru, you might was well add a visit to Iquitos, too. Right on the Amazon, some really nice camps upstream where you can fish and hunt monkeys. As an added bonus you can see the famous Eiffel building on the main square.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: DSC 2017 - 12/14/16

You will enjoy it smile

In my opinion it is. Gunner if you can make it, you have my cell!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: DSC 2017 - 12/14/16

You will enjoy it smile

Just curious jorgeI what makes DSC better than SCI. I go to SCI every year and am curious what DSC offers over SCI?

Thanks
Posted By: JGRaider Re: DSC 2017 - 12/14/16
I went to SCI a couple of times in Reno. IMO, the level of "blue bloodedness" and "my schittt don't stink" attitude at SCI made me never desire to go back. DSC is a much more friendly, laid back atmosphere.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: DSC 2017 - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I went to SCI a couple of times in Reno. IMO, the level of "blue bloodedness" and "my schittt don't stink" attitude at SCI made me never desire to go back. DSC is a much more friendly, laid back atmosphere.

This for starters. IT is also Wayyy less expensive to get in and see the exhibits and the fact it's earlier, one tends to have a better opportunity to book. Also, check with the exhibitors off the record and ask them as well..
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: DSC 2017 - 12/15/16
Thanks jorge and JG. Appreciate the info. I have friends that are exhibitors so have never paid the big entry fee / cover charge.

If the blue blood attitude doesn't exist at DSC it HAS to be a better show.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: DSC 2017 - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by JGRaider

This for starters. IT is also Wayyy less expensive to get in and see the exhibits and the fact it's earlier, one tends to have a better opportunity to book.

All of these are true. The snootiness is still there, but it's just more understated... Texas-style, you might say.

My wife (a Texas blue-blood, as it happens, just not a "hunting" blue-blood) went to DSC last year for the first time and was blown away by the show and by the quality of the people there. We ran into several people she has known since she was a kid, one fellow in particular who has some serious money and has done some serious trophy hunting. He was dressed in bib overalls and a plaid shirt, like he just came in off his run-down ranch (he did), and if you didn't know he was who he is, well... Anyways, he ran down SCI's show pretty hard. And a lot of the Texas blue-bloods feel the same way.

At DSC you won't get much snot on you. And the booking priority that Jorge mentions is definitely there. I booked my bear hunt last year in the top week of the season, all of which was sold out by the end of the DSC show... anybody who went to that outfitter at SCI had to pick from other blocks of time. And so it is with other outfitters as well.
Posted By: RHutch Re: DSC 2017 - 12/17/16
I've gone every year for the past 6 or 7 years and always on a Friday.
It's a cool show with lots to see, people to watch, raffle ticket chicks to flirt with and old friends to catch up with.
I usually always buy something from Alex at EO and probably will again this year. Have yet to book a hunt but may this year.
Posted By: Jkob Re: DSC 2017 - 12/18/16
There will be a bunch of us with the ACGG, would love to have you all stop by and introduce yoursleves and look at some quality firearms with stunning wood and metal.

Jim
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 12/19/16

You will enjoy it smile

Sure nuff Buddy.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: DSC 2017 - 12/23/16
I'm starting to get excited about it! Looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones! I won't be booking a hunt this year but I'll be researching possible hunts for 2018. Go back to Africa, or book a coastal brown bear hunt?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: DSC 2017 - 12/23/16
Africa.
Posted By: ingwe Re: DSC 2017 - 12/23/16
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Go back to Africa, or book a coastal brown bear hunt?

Another vote for Africa. Its warm there, the tents are nicer and theres more folks to pack out the game grin
Posted By: EdM Re: DSC 2017 - 12/23/16
I'm starting to get excited about it! Looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones! I won't be booking a hunt this year but I'll be researching possible hunts for 2018. Go back to Africa, or book a coastal brown bear hunt?

Both. Buffalo and sable in Zim late next year, bear on Kodiak spring 2018. Care to join? grin
Posted By: EdM Re: DSC 2017 - 12/23/16
We should PM phone numbers so we can get together for something, drink, food, both or for the helluva it.
Posted By: sactoller Re: DSC 2017 - 12/25/16
I will be there all week, stop by the Cabela's booth, I'll be there.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 12/26/16
Originally Posted by EdM
We should PM phone numbers so we can get together for something, drink, food, both or for the helluva it.

I would be interested to meet somewhere.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: DSC 2017 - 12/31/16
As usual, I'll be working the Hunters Namibia Safaris booth in Dallas. I hope to meet as many of The Campfire faithful as possible. Stop by booth #3434 and let's shoot the breeze. It's going to be a great show; see you there!

RS
Posted By: TexasBlueDevil Re: DSC 2017 - 01/01/17
I'm taking my son and father on Friday night, and leaving Sunday.
Posted By: kscowboy01 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/01/17

Dad and I get in either Thursday or Friday. We will be on the floor Friday-Sunday.

Cole Kramer of Kramer's Kodiak Guide Service will be in attendance, if you are interest in Coastal Brown Bears. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you connected. I have his cell.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/03/17
I'm going to head up Friday night, stay somewhere around Dallas, then head in to the show Sat morning. Shoot me a PM if you folks want to catch up for lunch!
Posted By: TexasMark Re: DSC 2017 - 01/03/17
Diane and I will be there Sat. and Sun. We will be around the ACGG area and GRS booth some. She is really getting into engraving. She wants to go full time soon. Hope to visit with some of you, also.
Mark
Posted By: agazain Re: DSC 2017 - 01/03/17
Settling on Thursday drive up (4 hours) ahead of the ice storm/sleet, and staying maybe within 50 miles in overnight hotel. Going home Friday evening after seeing friends and doing lunch at DSC makes more sense. Of course, I am an Aggie, so...
Posted By: duckster Re: DSC 2017 - 01/04/17
Thursday/Friday
Posted By: BMD Re: DSC 2017 - 01/04/17
Saturday and Sunday
Posted By: BMD Re: DSC 2017 - 01/04/17
Will have the red head with me easy to spot
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: DSC 2017 - 01/05/17
Friday afternoon, Saturday and maybe Sunday. Would enjoy meeting you guys.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
You gentlemen have fun, i awoke to 12* and snow, maybe next year.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
I have to deal with a car problem tonight, and the truck needs an oil change, so guess I'll leave early in the a.m.

Hope there is no freezing rain along the way, it's raining here and it's in the 20's in Dallas...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
Be safe Tex, I was not about to strike out this morning at 0400 for 300 miles of that.
Posted By: sactoller Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
Slow, must be the weather....anyone here come see me at Cabelas!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
Be safe Tex, I was not about to strike out this morning at 0400 for 300 miles of that.

Oh I don't mind driving it. I object to driving it with other people. Especially the ones who casually stop in the middle of the freeway mad
Posted By: mrfudd Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
It looked dead yesterday, but my buddy Kiri from Athina Sporting said that he had a few good bookings. We went to the banquet and had a good time. I was not impressed with the Conklin Award ceremony- he,or she in this case, with the biggest checkbook wins. Had to get out of town early this am to beat the storm related flight cancellations.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: DSC 2017 - 01/06/17
Killer show this year, everybody is Happy (Trump effect!). I was the green blur, running around the building, and I did manage to navigate every aisle in one day (PHEW!!).

Yes, stop at #3434/Hunters Namibia Safari's and visit with RipSnort (Paul), he and Marina Lamprecht are good folks!!

The charging rhino took taxidermy to the next level, it's just a few spaces away from Hunters Namibia Safari's, same aisle.

Cabela's booth has some very nice cased English shotguns/rifles.

Westley Richards has what can only be called museum grade firearms on display (with corresponding price tags).

ACGG area is 'must see' for custom firearms and engravers. Check out Watts Walnuts display for very nice chunks of wood.

Safari Press, near the entrance (#3512) had some first edition Theodore Roosevelt books in the glass case.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17

Oh I don't mind driving it. I object to driving it with other people. Especially the ones who casually stop in the middle of the freeway mad

Same here Tex, I don't worry at all about my driving, just don't want my chit to get bent by idiots.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
Read a few reports of problems, probably go up either tonight or early tomorrow
Posted By: DocRocket Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
I posted this on the "other forum", forgot to post it here... we have a small family emergency (an exigency, really), and I have to be home this weekend to get things handled.

I've informed The Redhead that this means I will need to compensate by being at DSC 2018 for the full 4 days.

See y'all then, and have a great time this weekend.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
Will be there tomorrow. Roads are fine.
Posted By: sactoller Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
Maruis what booth are you at?
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by sactoller
Maruis what booth are you at?

Just spent this year meeting people that asked to meet me over here.Filled out the application for a booth yesterday so will see how that goes.
Give me a time and a place and I will be there. Will be at the show again tomorrow.
Posted By: sactoller Re: DSC 2017 - 01/07/17
I'm at the cabelas booth, just ask for Jason.
Posted By: agazain Re: DSC 2017 - 01/08/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hatari Re: DSC 2017 - 01/10/17
You people are slacking! I want more reports. You went to Dallas, not Vegas. wink
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/10/17
well, saw this rifle at Rigby

[Linked Image]

bought a new EDC knife

[Linked Image]

met Ivan Carter, walked past Jim Shockey a couple times, who was talking to bigwigs both times. picked up some brochures, handled several different cool rifles, saw a Field's Patent falling block rifle, which is really rare. Talked to a couple of custom gunmakers, and bought raffle tickets - none of which apparently won.

Sat in a Dodge Truck (which now costs as much as a comparable Ford) and sat in a 2017 Ford Raptor

Drove up from Houston Sunday morning, walked every aisle of the show, drove back home & arrived at 6:00pm. Used one tank of gas.

Seemed like a fine day to me. smile
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: DSC 2017 - 01/11/17
Saw that rifle from Rigby. Was that not the one that was going for $250K?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/11/17
Not sure, think I recall the Corbett rifle did bring a bunch of money when it was last sold. I should have taken a pic of more than just the plaque - the rifle had obviously been well used, it was devoid of blue and was worn gray all over. Not abused but thoroughly used.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: DSC 2017 - 01/11/17
This year's DSC show was one of the best that I have worked. We (Hunters Namibia Safaris) were super busy all four days. Everybody, attendees and vendors alike, was very upbeat. We booked plenty of hunts and talked to many, many serious potentials. People are feeling hopeful and flush and were freely spending money again on fun things.

I can't begin to say enough about the Dallas Safari Club and the superior show that they put on every year. As always, this year was friendlier and more efficient than last year. They do a great job.

Thanks to all who popped by the booth; it's always a pleasure to meet Campfire members at the safari shows.

Cheers, RS
Posted By: mrfudd Re: DSC 2017 - 01/11/17
The Rigby rifle was a reproduction. I sat with the Rigby guys at the Thursday banquet and talked to them about the show rifle.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DSC 2017 - 01/14/17
Originally Posted by agazain
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic, didn't know I'd have to wear my funeral/wedding clothes to write a check booking a hunt. wink
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DSC 2017 - 01/14/17
I can pretty well guarantee neckties were uncommon smile
Thanks Tex!
Posted By: agazain Re: DSC 2017 - 01/14/17
Originally Posted by agazain
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic, didn't know I'd have to wear my funeral/wedding clothes to write a check booking a hunt. wink

You have to dress up for Holland & Holland, too. (Was that you?)
LOL, no Sir, I awoke to 8 degrees with ice and snow, I didn't get to go to DSC this year.
© 24hourcampfire