Home
What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking with the .300 H&H Magnum? I am thinking Eland for plains game and Leopard. Would you use it on Lion?
200 gr. NPT at optimal velocity is a pretty effective load for lots of stuff.

DF
I used a 300 Weatherby on lion once. 200 gr. A-Frame. Sitting, facing me. Chest shot. Crumpled him. Had no time to use my 375. In Namibia I've used 300 Win and Weatherby on all plains game. Not a H&H, but close. Little more power. I would love to own a 300 H&H. Maybe someday.
I've taken elk with mine.

I have a friend who has hunted Africa several times and owns just two rifles. Both are pre 64 model 70s, one in 300 H&H and one in 375 H&H. On one of his trips he and the PH were looking for a nice kudu when they stumbled onto a very nice old cape buffalo bull. Cape buffalo was in his plans for that trip and the PH asked if he wanted the bull. My friend said yes but only had the 300 with 180 grain Partitions. The guide said take the shot. He had seen my friend shoot game before. He said that bull went down faster than the four he'd killed on prior hunts with his 375.
Originally Posted by mart
I've taken elk with mine.

I have a friend who has hunted Africa several times and owns just two rifles. Both are pre 64 model 70s, one in 300 H&H and one in 375 H&H. On one of his trips he and the PH were looking for a nice kudu when they stumbled onto a very nice old cape buffalo bull. Cape buffalo was in his plans for that trip and the PH asked if he wanted the bull. My friend said yes but only had the 300 with 180 grain Partitions. The guide said take the shot. He had seen my friend shoot game before. He said that bull went down faster than the four he'd killed on prior hunts with his 375.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a good clear shot at a buffalo with the 300 H&H Super with 200gr Partitions. I've taken game from steenbuk to eland with it. It's a true African Classic.
cool
I would use my 300 H&H on about anything, if I get to use the bullets I want.
I have other rifles I might prefer for some hunting, but I can't think of any game I would be unwilling to shoot with my 300 H&H, up to and including elephant and hippo. The "trick" is to turn down shots that are not perfect. That can be exasperating and expensive in today's economy. (that's why I would choose other rifles some times) but if I could use 165 gr Barnex X, 220 grain Nosler partitions and some good 220 grain mono-metal solids, and if time and money were not objects, I would gladly take a 300 H&H for any game I can hunt.
Brain shot on elephant...but would actually prefer the .30/06.
Originally Posted by pacecars
What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking with the .300 H&H Magnum? I am thinking Eland for plains game and Leopard. Would you use it on Lion?
Yes.

No.
I've used the 300WSM - ballistically identical to the 300 H&H - with 180 grain Partitions on eland. I believe a medium - 375, 416, 404 - would be a better choice on lion. If the angle is not ideal or follow ups are needed to stop a wounded animal, the mediums would offer greater power.
In theory, just about anything. Mu uncle took his two lion back in the late 60s with (the horror!) a 270 w Winchester Silvertips. Personally, eland would be the limit for me.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In theory, just about anything. Mu uncle took his two lion back in the late 60s with (the horror!) a 270 w Winchester Silvertips. Personally, eland would be the limit for me.

Just 'cause you can, doesn't mean you should... shocked

Your Uncle was probably an excellent marksman, knew what his gun would do and delivered the goods.

I'd be shooting my .375 H&H. I don't feel I'm good enough to try a lesser round... blush

DF
Agreed!
Yes, eland, lion and Kodiak brown bear.
I would personally draw the line at Buffalo, elephant and rhino.

I used my 300H&H last year in Namibia with 180gr TTSX. PH told me to not change a thing.
Cleanly killed six PG animals with no bullets recovered.

Eland did not happen, but would not have hesitated if the opportunity had presented.

Talking around the campfire, the PH's and the owner felt that the 300 magnum class of cartridges is perfect for PG.
Like others have said, the .300 H&H spits bullets out at speeds similar to the .300 WSM and .30-06AI, and is not much slower than a .300 Win or any other 300 Mag.

Eland are about the size of an AK moose, and I doubt anyone would pass a moose up with those rounds and a good bullet.

Lions average what? Around 300-400 pounds? They're supposedly tough, but I wouldn't hesitate to put a TSX, A FRAME or even a damn partition into one via .300 H&H.
Put it to you this way,lions eat eland,buffalo,zebra and on occasion,people.

I value my skin and would use something in the .375 H&H to the .416 Rem/Rigby.
If using a .375 H&H,I would use the 300 gr Sierra.
300 H&H would not be my first choice, but had a lion showed up and the PH said shoot. I would not have hesitated. smile

Next year for buffalo and Sable I am taking my 375 H&H, with a 9.3x64 as back up.
Allen Day told me a couple of times about the running buff he shot with his 300 win mag. Saw the video too. If I were out with my 300HH and saw a nice buff that I could get a good shot at, I'd take it. But I'd certainly rather have my 375.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If using a .375 H&H,I would use the 300 gr Sierra.

I have had catastrophic bullet failure with a 375 H&H 300 gr. Sierra soft point. Was just too soft and fragile. Had better success a few times when I was so damn busy that I had to use factory ammo instead of hand loading my own. Federal "Blue Box" 300 gr. Soft point ( I think they are called power shock) and Remington plain old green box 270 gr. Core-lok soft points. Typical cup and core separation or small weight retention on both these bullets. But they absolutely crumpled game. At 30-200 yards. Used with these results on several Gemsbok, hartebeest, springbok,warthog, wilderbeast, and others. IMHO I would use these standard economy bullets in 375 H&H over the Sierra. Elk was too much for it as well.
I am currently looking for a 300 H&H. Have always wanted one just for Africa. Sooner or later I will trip into one that fits the bill. Maybe I will have a Zastava rechambered or a Husqavarna.
Interesting,would still use the 300 gr Sierra for lions. wink
Interesting,would still use the 300 gr Sierra for lions. wink

Bet it works like a charm on those monster NM Jackwabbits... wink

DF
Yup.
Yup.

.300 H&H may be a tad light for those pesky critters, even 200 gr. NPT... blush

.375's marginal, rounds in the .4+ class, mo better... grin

DF
You can use any cartridge you want for wascally wabbits,as long as it starts with a .4XX. wink
I do have a .500 NE DB with 570 gr. Woodleigh solids for rabbits. Had a Jack-a-lope charge years ago. Wasn't pretty. Still have nightmares.
570 Woodies will surely overpenetrate... wink

.400's about right... cool

DF
Killed this cottontail at about 20-30 feet. I had the shakes for an hour.
[Linked Image]

Weatherby Mark V 460 Wby,used a 500 gr Hornady DGX.

I've only hunted game animals in Africa once, with my 300 H&H so loaded with 220 gr Partitions at 2750 I would most certainly shoot Eland, Zebra, Wildebeest and Lion, plus of course all the lesser species.
laugh, You got bunny-fever!
Actually,need to take the .460 out again,it's been over a year since it has been used.
Gunner, just the appearance of you stalking those critters would put them away.

Like they said about Mad Dog Mattis, it was reported the General had a bear rug in his house. Rumor had it the bear wasn't really dead, just afraid to move... shocked

DF
[Linked Image]

Was he charging or did you just slip up on him...?

I could see how you'd be all shook up...

DF
Actually,need to take the .460 out again,it's been over a year since it has been used.

Dang right Elk, warm that barrel a little.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner, just the appearance of you stalking those critters would put them away.

Like they said about Mad Dog Mattis, it was reported the General had a bear rug in his house. Rumor had it the bear wasn't really dead, just afraid to move... shocked

DF

LOL, those game animals have it made with me, they say, great, here comes that old fat slow guy again ;]
[Linked Image]

Was he charging or did you just slip up on him...?

I could see how you'd be all shook up...

DF

He knew I was there,but stopped the charge just before it got real serious.
Bet he stopped short when he ran into that DGX.

A life changing encounter.

DF
A Dangerous Game Gun is like condoms and duct tape. Better to have too much than not enough. I always put an insurance shot in those bastards and never "admire the shot".
Originally Posted by Zengela
A Dangerous Game Gun is like condoms and duct tape. Better to have too much than not enough...

The problem of 'not enough' more often than not, has to do with not enough shooting skills rather than not enough gun.

WDM Bell wrote of people he hunted with using big bores than couldn't get the job done, Harry Selby wrote of inept clients with big bores-same problem,
and in our present times I still hear of furious PHs reporting that clients can't hit a 5 ton target with their .500cal

On the other hand, Bell wrote of a Sikh officer and his son killing 90 lions with a 7x57 and Selby successfully guided his 14 yo daughter onto
a bull to kill it with 7x57.

I am convinced some novices purposely carry big bores in the even they might need a 'stopper' and want to be the hero to save the day. This despite
the fact they don't even have skill and nerve to make that happen. You can kit yourself out to make it look like to the world you know what you are doing,
but when things go south, end up drilling your PH with a .458 Lott rather than the DG...re; Tim Herald.

It makes sense to use a calibre you can actually handle and most importantly, to leave the professional work to the professionals.
I have been asked a few times is I am a "small-bore man" because of the posts I have written here and on a few other forums.

No.

In fact, I actually like bigger calibers and heavier bullets.

But I like them.
I don't need them. (I intend to kill my elk this year with a 6.5 Mann/Scho)

I have enough hunting experience in the last 50 years, and over a LOT of ground, in a lot of different places to know what works welland what is "so-so".

As Starman said, "too little" is usually about skill. It's not about tools.

I have killed some large animals with smallish guns. Some of them were quite large. If I use a bullet that holds it's weight, I don't need uber-power, power and neither does anyone else.

This is a 2 edged sword. If you insist on killing large game with tiny guns you should shoot those guns VERY well. The good thing is that it's easier to learn to shoot VERY well with smaller guns than it is with very powerful ones.

So if a hunter misses the intended point of impact with a 223 by 6 inches I will agree that he'd be better off making the same miss of 6 inches with a 300 mag .

But if he can't shoot well and has poor shooting skills he's likely to miss by more then 6 inches.

If he misses by a foot or more, it's proof that it's not the gun or the bullet that's the problem. In all likelihood if he had a 260 Rem or even a 308 he'd probably bring home a lot more meat and trophies. Men that don't flinch may not be able to shoot "Camp Perry Groups" but they can hit a deer chest. And they do!

As I said, I like my big guns. I am on the 2nd barrel of my 375H&H. That gives some indication as to how much I like some of the big guns. I also have fired more 30 cal and larger bullet than I can count, many of which were 416", 423" and 458 caliber. But as a hunter, and a guide for many years, I have to agree with many of my fellow guides and say a LOT of magnum shooters are not skilled enough.

That's from 2 factors.
#1 the guns kick them and they don't practice enough to overcome the flinch they have.
#2 The ammo is costly and they don't spend (or can't spend) enough money to acquire the level of skill they should have.

To the readers who are considering a new rifle I can give one piece of overall advice that I think is 100% solid.
Never buy any hunting rifles you can't or won't learn to shoot well.

If you want a 460 Magnum, understand that to make that rifle work you have to be able to hit what you need to, and if that means you need to fire 500 (or more) rounds of ammo (factory or handloads,--- you're call) then you must factor the ammo cost and the time off, and travel to shoot, into the cost of the weapon.
If you cannot afford the time and the ammo, you should be buying a gun for the collection, but not for hunting.

You can have a room full of 338s, and 375s and 300 Ultra mags and that's great, but when you come out to the mountains for that special hunt, bring the rifle that you shoot best. That means the rifle you can hit realistic targets with most often, under less then perfect conditions, from prone, sitting kneeling and standing, and in time limits that are realistic.

I would rather guide a man who can hit an 8" target every time with a 260 in 8 seconds or less, then some guy that shows up with a big magnum who NEEDS the bi-pod on it, and has troubles hitting an 8" target at 75 yards in 8 seconds of less. I do not exaggerate. Try it. Full mag, 3-6 rounds (depending on what your rifle holds) on an 8" target at 75 yards offhand, and you have 8 seconds for each shot to make the hits. Any miss counts as zero. Any hit that hits in over 8 seconds from the last shot counts as zero. You may be surprised.

Many lost animals are not lost because they are missed, but are actually lost because the guns these guys bring out are about as slow to get into action as an 81MM Mortar, (and by the time you hike with me from 5,000 feet to 10,500 feet, you'll swear they are just as heavy.) They rush the shot because it took so long to get lined up and they miss or shoot badly. In some cases I have seen they don't even get time to squeeze the trigger.

They are not as expert with their tools as they need to be when it really counts.

Shooting skill is not just about group size and has NOTHING to do with groups shot from a bench rest.

Speed and accuracy are equal in importance. Seems today everyone wants to come out ready for the 500 yard (or more) shot that they can take 5 minutes to set up but the real truth is that when I get them into an elk heard it's going to be at 200 yards or less, and they may have 15 seconds or so.
Not always, but if you train for that kind of shooting and you do get more time you will be just fine.

If you are smooth and skilled with the gun you shoot best you'll be a LOT better off.

Power is good, but never try for power at the expense of accuracy on target in realistic time limits. You often have 8 to 15 seconds and that's a lot of time if you are smooth. It's not a lot of time if you need 10 seconds to get ready.

A good 26 caliber rifle with "elk bullets" is powerful enough for elk and a good 223 with good "deer bullets" is powerful enough for deer. Bigger is fine if you are fine with it. If not, use the smaller gun and get your shooting skill level up.
Originally Posted by Starman
A Dangerous Game Gun is like condoms and duct tape. Better to have too much than not enough...

The problem of 'not enough' more often than not, has to do with not enough shooting skills rather than not enough gun.

WDM Bell wrote of people he hunted with using big bores than couldn't get the job done, Harry Selby wrote of inept clients with big bores-same problem,
and in our present times I still hear of furious PHs reporting that clients can't hit a 5 ton target with their .500cal

On the other hand, Bell wrote of a Sikh officer and his son killing 90 lions with a 7x57 and Selby successfully guided his 14 yo daughter onto
a bull to kill it with 7x57.

I am convinced some novices purposely carry big bores in the even they might need a 'stopper' and want to be the hero to save the day. This despite
the fact they don't even have skill and nerve to make that happen. You can kit yourself out to make it look like to the world you know what you are doing,
but when things go south, end up drilling your PH with a .458 Lott rather than the DG...re; Tim Herald.

It makes sense to use a calibre you can actually handle and most importantly, to leave the professional work to the professionals.

We are joking around about using very large bore rifles on rabbits. 460. Weatherby, 500 Nitro. Saying a .400 is good enough. I hope you are seriously joking and not taking us serious about charging bunny rabbits and needing a true stomper of a rifle to stop a New Mexico bunny rabbit.
Originally Posted by szihn
I have been asked a few times is I am a "small-bore man" because of the posts I have written here and on a few other forums.

No.

In fact, I actually like bigger calibers and heavier bullets.

But I like them.
I don't need them. (I intend to kill my elk this year with a 6.5 Mann/Scho)

I have enough hunting experience in the last 50 years, and over a LOT of ground, in a lot of different places to know what works welland what is "so-so".

As Starman said, "too little" is usually about skill. It's not about tools.

I have killed some large animals with smallish guns. Some of them were quite large. If I use a bullet that holds it's weight, I don't need uber-power, power and neither does anyone else.

This is a 2 edged sword. If you insist on killing large game with tiny guns you should shoot those guns VERY well. The good thing is that it's easier to learn to shoot VERY well with smaller guns than it is with very powerful ones.

So if a hunter misses the intended point of impact with a 223 by 6 inches I will agree that he'd be better off making the same miss of 6 inches with a 300 mag .

But if he can't shoot well and has poor shooting skills he's likely to miss by more then 6 inches.

If he misses by a foot or more, it's proof that it's not the gun or the bullet that's the problem. In all likelihood if he had a 260 Rem or even a 308 he'd probably bring home a lot more meat and trophies. Men that don't flinch may not be able to shoot "Camp Perry Groups" but they can hit a deer chest. And they do!

As I said, I like my big guns. I am on the 2nd barrel of my 375H&H. That gives some indication as to how much I like some of the big guns. I also have fired more 30 cal and larger bullet than I can count, many of which were 416", 423" and 458 caliber. But as a hunter, and a guide for many years, I have to agree with many of my fellow guides and say a LOT of magnum shooters are not skilled enough.

That's from 2 factors.
#1 the guns kick them and they don't practice enough to overcome the flinch they have.
#2 The ammo is costly and they don't spend (or can't spend) enough money to acquire the level of skill they should have.

To the readers who are considering a new rifle I can give one piece of overall advice that I think is 100% solid.
Never buy any hunting rifles you can't or won't learn to shoot well.

If you want a 460 Magnum, understand that to make that rifle work you have to be able to hit what you need to, and if that means you need to fire 500 (or more) rounds of ammo (factory or handloads,--- you're call) then you must factor the ammo cost and the time off, and travel to shoot, into the cost of the weapon.
If you cannot afford the time and the ammo, you should be buying a gun for the collection, but not for hunting.

You can have a room full of 338s, and 375s and 300 Ultra mags and that's great, but when you come out to the mountains for that special hunt, bring the rifle that you shoot best. That means the rifle you can hit realistic targets with most often, under less then perfect conditions, from prone, sitting kneeling and standing, and in time limits that are realistic.

I would rather guide a man who can hit an 8" target every time with a 260 in 8 seconds or less, then some guy that shows up with a big magnum who NEEDS the bi-pod on it, and has troubles hitting an 8" target at 75 yards in 8 seconds of less. I do not exaggerate. Try it. Full mag, 3-6 rounds (depending on what your rifle holds) on an 8" target at 75 yards offhand, and you have 8 seconds for each shot to make the hits. Any miss counts as zero. Any hit that hits in over 8 seconds from the last shot counts as zero. You may be surprised.

Many lost animals are not lost because they are missed, but are actually lost because the guns these guys bring out are about as slow to get into action as an 81MM Mortar, (and by the time you hike with me from 5,000 feet to 10,500 feet, you'll swear they are just as heavy.) They rush the shot because it took so long to get lined up and they miss or shoot badly. In some cases I have seen they don't even get time to squeeze the trigger.

They are not as expert with their tools as they need to be when it really counts.

Shooting skill is not just about group size and has NOTHING to do with groups shot from a bench rest.

Speed and accuracy are equal in importance. Seems today everyone wants to come out ready for the 500 yard (or more) shot that they can take 5 minutes to set up but the real truth is that when I get them into an elk heard it's going to be at 200 yards or less, and they may have 15 seconds or so.
Not always, but if you train for that kind of shooting and you do get more time you will be just fine.

If you are smooth and skilled with the gun you shoot best you'll be a LOT better off.

Power is good, but never try for power at the expense of accuracy on target in realistic time limits. You often have 8 to 15 seconds and that's a lot of time if you are smooth. It's not a lot of time if you need 10 seconds to get ready.

A good 26 caliber rifle with "elk bullets" is powerful enough for elk and a good 223 with good "deer bullets" is powerful enough for deer. Bigger is fine if you are fine with it. If not, use the smaller gun and get your shooting skill level up.

Just curious. What does any of that have to do with a 300 H&H?

I didnt quote anything from you mentioning rabbits and the 460WM
or mention those in my response.

In case you missed it, Szinh mentioned the number of clients that do not shoot their magnums to good effect.
To those who shoot it well .300HH is more than ample to brain or heart an elephant, and to those who don't
shoot it well, its user can make mess of any hunt.
[double post deleted]

In case you missed it, Szinh mentioned the number of clients that do not shoot their magnums to good effect.
To those who shoot it well .300HH is more than ample to brain or heart an elephant, and to those who don't
The .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country. The minimum is .375 H&H.

If someone is going to use a big bore they need to practice at least a year before their safari. Start with mild loads and work up to heavier loads as needed.

This company can help the person out if they don't handload.
http://www.superiorammo.com/customammunition.html
"Just curious. What does any of that have to do with a 300 H&H?"
Specifically....nothing.

Generally, everything.

My point is that marksmanship coupled with proper bullets is by far more important than gun choice.

Many years of experience of this observation have proven this to me, and to many others going back about 100 years in many countries.

The specific point is that if you are a good shot with a 300, and if you use the right bullets, no game is too large. Some may not be legal in some countries, but in some countries any gun, any ammo and any hunting is not legal, but that has nothign to do with the point either.
Here is another company that has mild loads for the big bores.

https://nyatiinc.com
Sometimes you have to make due with what you have in your hands. One never knows the opportunity around the corner in Africa. One reason the 375HH is the magic wand for African Hunting. It will handle anything that comes up with reasonable results.

The 300 was spawned from the 375HH for the "light rifle" of the pair. Although not actually legal for big 5, but also not likely ever challenged in a real hunting scenario when it's what you have in your hands. I have personally seen 300 mags and one particular 30/06 kill buffalo quite a few times. Same for Giraffe and Hippo. Head shots under 75 meters end the game instantly with either of these cartridges.

I do not see any functional lethal difference in the 30/06 or the 300 mag with the TSX bullets under 100 meters. The real advantage of the 300 mag is at greater ranges. Identical bullet placement from either cartridge with the same TSX bullet will render the same results. At least from my experience with these combinations.

Shooting 350 plus yards the nod goes to the 300 mags, beyond 400, the 300 mags are the only choice of the two. I still think that the 30/06 has the power, but I begin to lose confidence in the ability to place the shots for the regular guy hunting with me. I don't think my skills are there beyond 400 yards either. Unless conditions and the solid rest are perfect, having the distance laser ranged, oh and the target species plays a roll too. Just because it has worked once for some fella you read about in a hunting magazine does not mean the results are always repeatable ( or it was true).

The only real answer to this is to stick with what is legal for the cartridge. If and when the time comes to make a choice on something bigger....... weight the odds, let the PH share his thoughts, and carefully consider your skill. There are two things that really play a roll in the outcome of this. One is if that animal bleeds you have just agreed to fork over lots of money for the trophy fee. I know and have worked with a few PH's over the years that were willing to play the odds here, because if they found blood you were paying them. Recovery of the game or not! Friendship during a ten day hunt has a way of becoming far more one sided then the visiting hunter realizes. That PH is in business to make money.

This is not the majority of PH's. Realize that they are the ones that have to find this animal and they want to go home to see their family at the end of the hunt too. These guys don't want to be horned, stomped, chewed, gored, clawed, or tossed. Not anymore than the next guy. Once blood is found, are they going the exhaust every level of effort to find this angry hurting creature that is at the end of it's patience with being tracked?

Remember the decision is yours to make. We can chat about the size of the animal here from the safety of the keyboard and the office chair. It's a bit different environment once the crack of the rifle fades and you have to go find that animal.
200 gr. NPT at optimal velocity.........

DF

Which is ???
I think another reason the 375 H&H is the "go to" rifle is in the way it kicks. I do love my 300 Weatherby magnum and the numbers on the paper may say its about identical in foot pounds and such as the 375, the 375 H&H just shoots easier. I say Weatherby but really mean any .300 mag. I just have way more expierence with it than the other. .300s. My 375(Winchester M70) pushes rather than slams me. And yes I agree about taking those longer shots. The 375 has pretty much the same trajectory as a '06 so longer shots are not practical. Besides like JJHACK says, your wallet is on the line at this point as well as the PHs ass. I am probably gonna do a Australian buffalo cull hunt next year with 2-4 buff a day for a week. May very well just take a 375 H&H. I can take anything, but with 5kilos(11pounds) of ammo I want to be able to get the job done without severely punishing my shoulder. I am also thinking about a .416 Rem mag, but I have never shot a lot of those in a few days. Will take it to the range and see what my threshold is before I suffer on all sides of accuracy, speed and pain. Would be interesting to do a side by side week long test on buffalo. 375 vs 300.
Take the .416,just use it every couple of days and the .375 the rest of the time.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
200 gr. NPT at optimal velocity.........

DF

Which is ???

Around 2,750 to 2,850 fps fps from existing publilshed data..

Some data goes to 2,900 or so with other bullets.

There are so many great, new powders; current H&H data has mostly older powders.

So, I don't know the top load potential, optimal performance, accuracy and velocity..

Someone who has worked with this round may want to chime in.

DF
There is a big difference between what the largest animal you would take with a certain caliber and the largest animal you can LEGALLY take with a certain caliber. In every African country I know of, .375 or the energy equivalent such as 9x62 or more is the minimum for the Big 5.

I use 300 WSM load data as a starting point now days. Current powders used unlike 300 H&H wich has dated powder info.
Originally Posted by sidepass

I use 300 WSM load data as a starting point now days. Current powders used unlike 300 H&H wich has dated powder info.

True on old H&H data.

No one seems to want to work up loads with new powders.

WSM vs. H&H water capacity, Nosler Data, both with 200 gr. bullets: 68.7 gr. and 77 gr., respectively.

So, based on an 8.3 gr. advantage, one would think the H&H may handle up to 12% more powder. I'd go easy with that number, not use it as an absolute, just a ball park, drop back and work up.

They are different rounds from different centuries, SAAMI pressures may be different, etc, etc....

DF
I would consider 2900 fps tops with the 200 gr Nosler Partition.
I would consider 2900 fps tops with the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

I would agree with 2,900 fps being top performance with the 200 NPT.

With these new powders, that may be even easier to achieve well within SAAMI limits.

Now of course, there is always "Fire" pressure... shocked

DF

The .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

The thread question doesn't ask legal minimums, it only asks what a person would be prepared to shoot with .300H&H.

...The minimum is .375 H&H.

Such blanket statements are misleading, The .375 legal minimum rule is not applicable to all African countries or provinces.

Besides like JJHACK says, your wallet is on the line at this point as well as the PHs ass.

You are not there to save the PHs ass, he is there to save yours in the event you cannot properly shoot whatever calibre
you choose to carry.

Ive heard PHs bitch and moan about past clients not using what they consider as enough gun (even when its a .375H&H),
but they will then accept clients who want to hunt the same DG game with a compound bow.

This is what you wrote and a .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

So a .375 Winchester or a .38/55 are legal for elephant,correct?

...and a .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

Not true. The specific legality of .308cal for elephant depends on who is doing the shooting.
SAP can and do use .308cal
You wrote "To those who shoot it well .300 HH is more than ample to brain or heart an elephant" who's mis-leading who? Show me where the .300 H&H is legal for elephant? Also,sounds like your advocating the .300 H&H for elephant as the largest game that can be taken with the cartridge. Who's mis-leading who?

I'll stick with the .375 H&H as the minimum,no matter what you say,or do,or whine about.

...and a .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

Not true. The specific legality of .308cal for elephant depends on who is doing the shooting.
SAP can and do use .308cal
We are talking about safari hunters here. Stay with the program.
Besides like JJHACK says, your wallet is on the line at this point as well as the PHs ass.

You are not there to save the PHs ass, he is there to save yours in the event you cannot properly shoot whatever calibre
you choose to carry.

Ive heard PHs bitch and moan about past clients not using what they consider as enough gun (even when its a .375H&H),
but they will then accept clients who want to hunt the same DG game with a compound bow.

Where is SAP in this quote?
We are talking about safari hunters here.

No you have narrowed it to that, the question orig.posed was about what ANY person reading the thread would shoot with a .300H&H.
It made no mention of calibre legalities or only applying to recreational hunters...all that crap is coming out of your imagination.

Fact remains elephant are legally shot with .308cal.
Getting way off the 300 H&H track here. I think the original post was simply to ask what any of us hunters that have used a 300 H&H would consider the upper end of game animals that was practical to take. SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.
Getting way off the 300 H&H track here. I think the original post was simply to ask what any of us hunters that have used a 300 H&H would consider the upper end of game animals that was practical to take. SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.
Yup,exactly right.

Sorry for the diversion OP.
SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.

5 ton animals being killed with .308cal is irrelevant to the discussion of a 300H&H...but fools posting pictures of rabbits with a .460WM is?

sound like you and him share the same stupid gene.

Yup,exactly right.

People have heard enough of what you think is 'exactly right', considering you have been wrong in your stupid claims all along.
Being called a "fool" by you is an honor. wink

[Linked Image]
Due to overwhelming evidence, I can safely rest my case.. wink

Oh,congratulations. smile

Since I am from Africa and I have been hunting and reloading a 300H&H for a couple of years now. I feel comfortable to speak my mind about this. I have taken from vervet monkeys to one cape buffalo with this rifle. I have tested all kinds of bullets weights and designs. In the end my run of the mill is mono bullets . Such as Barnes TSX or GScustom. I will not hesitate to hunt an Eland bull( and I have) with this combination. Used to hunt with 180grn Nosler Acubond at just over 3000fs. Never had a problem on any pgame.
But that is where my comfort level will stop. The buffalo was I head shot, with old 220grn Winchester silver tips. The buf, although not ill, was a suspected carrier of corridor disease. The attending vet asked me to come and shoot it. I will try to upload a couple of kills with the good old 300 H&H.

ps. People tend to forget that that most 300 H&H utilize a 26 inch barrel. This is due to the cartridge design and powder capacity. this then tends to put the traditional H&H a fraction faster as your std 24 inch 300 wm.
Been 9 hours since Starman has said anything negative, derogatory or insulting. He must be in his safe space having a nap.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This Springbuck, was taken a quite a distance of 466yards
Nice animals/pics LT_DAN.

Specs on rifle,please.
Nice pics. Clean and well laid out. What bullet? Load? Also you being SA do you know are Rhino bullets imported to US? I looked into getting some but it was a dead end on the US side, when I contacted Rhino in SA about getting several boxes, he thought I wanted to be the US importer and didn't understand I only wanted several boxes so I dropped trying too get some. Wanted to try out some of those heavy bullets they offer.
Been 9 hours since Starman has said anything negative, derogatory or insulting. He must be in his safe space having a nap.

Why don't you tell us what relevance your indecision about .375 or 416 for a cull hunt in AUS. has to do with a specific .300H&H topic
in the AFRICAN section?

Then the suggestion that you intend to 'save the ass of the PH' , but cant even decide which calibre to use in case it hurts your shoulder.
That really deserves the joke of the month award. You sound like a disaster waiting to happen. If you are genuinely concerned about the
welfare of PHs , its probably best for your type not to carry a rifle and hunt with one.

AND since you don't like your precious snowflake feelings being hurt, how about just sticking to the .30cal thread topic instead of drawing
attention to how stupid you are?
Yes!! Starman you took the bait. We all knew you couldn't resist. Seems you are somewhat the laughing stock of the Campfire. I got well over a dozen PMs about you in the last day with nice folks from all around telling me all about you. Seems you're a real likeable guy. Whether your starting fights over on the Australian forum about Breaker Morant or being Mr. Smarty Pants about Walter Bell, or just being down right viscous and insensitive about a man being killed and eaten by a crocodile. An extreme expert on everything from drugs and politics to velocities, foot pounds, trajectories, all things manly, and the law. A one man super Messiah.. Seems like you got a pretty thin skin too. But, I degrees. I never said I would or was gonna save my PHs ass. What I was saying was on the same lines as a fellow 24 Campfire poster JJHACH said,"this is not the majority of PHs. Realize that they are the ones that have to find this animal and they want to go home to see their family at the end of the hunt too. These guys don't want to be horned,stomped,chewed,gored,clawed or tossed. Not anymore than the next guy." I never said I was gonna be a hero and save my Ph's ass or that I can't shoot or handle a weapon that is too powerful for me to use effectively. You assume, come to conclusions and make very questionable thoughts on subjects you know nothing about. I feel that I never offended you until you started with the name calling. Quite a few people have stated to me that this is your M.O. and you like to push buttons and get a rise out of others for no other reason than for your own pathetic cheap thrills. It was uncalled for. You are an abusive, insulting and disrespectful person. I have seen your ilk before. You do not know me and to imply about a "stupid gene" is just wrong and infantile. As far as any relevance of the 375 vs 416 talk, I got sidetracked as did others talking about bunny rabbits. I am absolutely confident to be able to know and choose what caliber rifles I should use and are proper and adequate for any task at hand. I have not shoot a rhino, but pretty much everything else pertinent to this thought. It really does not have any relevance to the original post of the 300H&H. But SAP shooting elephants with a .308 is about as relevant as well. You seem like a very knowledgeable and able fellow. Just a little rough around the edges.
I would have zero reserves on using the .300H&H on Eland, and if legal on Lion. My personal experience shows that Lions are easier to put down than Eland. With the correct bullet for the cause, you could even stretch it to Giraffe, where a projectile such as a Barnes TSX or TTSX is used.
The .300H&H is a great caliber and will get the job done on any plains game hunt, and some.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
I would have zero reserves on using the .300H&H on Eland, and if legal on Lion. My personal experience shows that Lions are easier to put down than Eland. With the correct bullet for the cause, you could even stretch it to Giraffe, where a projectile such as a Barnes TSX or TTSX is used.
The .300H&H is a great caliber and will get the job done on any plains game hunt, and some.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Agreed fully, the 220 gr partitions land 3" above the front sight at 100 yards on my pre-64 300 H&H, they land 3"s up at 200 yards too, looking through the old Lyman receiver peep will let you run the front sight up into the animal a bit, then with a 2.5 lb trigger caress, the bullets accurately on it's way, barring legalities, I don't know what couldn't be taken with this combo.
Nice pics. Clean and well laid out. What bullet? Load? Also you being SA do you know are Rhino bullets imported to US? I looked into getting some but it was a dead end on the US side, when I contacted Rhino in SA about getting several boxes, he thought I wanted to be the US importer and didn't understand I only wanted several boxes so I dropped trying too get some. Wanted to try out some of those heavy bullets they offer.

This was when I still used Nosler Accubond. This is the 180grn @ a little less than 3100fs. I am sorry dont know much about Rhino's export status. I could phone them if you like

Specs on rifle,please.

That is a custom built 26inch Truvello medium heavy barrel(1:10), with a original Oberndorf Mauser action. It has handcrafted Turkish walnut. I use a 1,8 pound pull Timney trigger. On top is a 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper. My choice of load of late is 150grn GSCustom @ 3200fs. Since I hunt for meat, this load gives me the flattest trajectory without excessive meat damage. It is also more conducive for head-shots when the circumstances allows it.
Sounds like you good one hell of a 300 H&H. I'm jealous. Its just one of those rifles that over the years has slipped thru the cracks for me. No more excuses. I need to add one to my stable. A nice iconic .300
Originally Posted by LT_DAN

Specs on rifle,please.

That is a custom built 26inch Truvello medium heavy barrel(1:10), with a original Oberndorf Mauser action. It has handcrafted Turkish walnut. I use a 1,8 pound pull Timney trigger. On top is a 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper. My choice of load of late is 150grn GSCustom @ 3200fs. Since I hunt for meat, this load gives me the flattest trajectory without excessive meat damage. It is also more conducive for head-shots when the circumstances allows it.
Sweet! cool
This .300 H&H is not as eye pleasing as yours LT_DAN,but it'll shoot the 180 or 200 gr Nosler Partition very well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pre '64 Winchester M 70.
aahh Model 70 H&H, about as common as chicken teeth. looks like a working rifle. Not much will stand after being hit with a 200grn Nosler
My version of modern artwork:

[Linked Image]
Yup!

Thought about re-stocking it in either another fiberglass stock or a good piece of wood. Decided to leave it alone as it shoots very well.

If it ain't broke,don't fix it!
Nice rifles👍 Have a number 1 in that caliber..
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
My version of modern artwork:

[Linked Image]

That rifle looks almost like my Interarms Whitworth .375 H&H.
[Linked Image]
Hey Elks, where did you get the camo stock? Looks cool!

Mine is a 1978 Model 70 I bought from the family of the original owner. New in Box!
Guy bought it and took it home, put it under his bed where his son found it when Dad died.
Still had hang tags on it and the original, I guess!, dust on the box!
It is no longer unfired and wears a Leupold VX-R and is awaiting a trip to South Africa.....some day!
I like those Whitworths, really liked the wood on the one Ingwe had. This one isn't bad.

DF
Originally Posted by fgold767
Hey Elks, where did you get the camo stock? Looks cool!

Mine is a 1978 Model 70 I bought from the family of the original owner. New in Box!
Guy bought it and took it home, put it under his bed where his son found it when Dad died.
Still had hang tags on it and the original, I guess!, dust on the box!
It is no longer unfired and wears a Leupold VX-R and is awaiting a trip to South Africa.....some day!
The stock was already on the rifle when I bought it. Think it's a B&C stock.
© 24hourcampfire