Home
Posted By: slideaction 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/22/17
For those who hunt in Africa is the 8mm Mauser still fairly common in use for mid size non violent game? I know this old 7.92, 323 cartridge once was back in the 40's, just wondering if it's still readily available there on the ammo shelves. I was reading John Taylor's old book "African Rifles and Cartridges" where he spoke of a 240 grain load German manufacturers had made in those days. Wondering if such German ammo is still found there in that grain today for the old 8x57.
I've read they are pretty common in Namibia but have not actually seen one in use there. A few nights ago, I bought an 8x57 from a run Tikka did 5-6 years ago. Eurooptic had them reduced to around $500 new. My daughter has asked to go to Africa when she graduates high school in a few years. My theory is it will be a good gun for her to use with mildish loads of 2300-2400 fps or so with 200-grain Partitions. I'm thinking there should be a lot of capability for the recoil with that combo.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/23/17
That would be a great combo! I shot my first Kudu with an 8x57 and I have actually seen one in use in Namibia.That said, I never looked for ammo there, so no help...
Posted By: EdM Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/23/17
We brought a custom receiver sighted Erfurt 8x57 Mauser over in 2012. Worked fine with the 180 gr BT.
Posted By: Zengela Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/23/17
I'm sure its a fairly common African truck gun. As far as ammo goes? Who knows?
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/23/17
Took mine my first trip over, cull hunt, but killed everything from Springbok to Wildebeast to Gembok, one shot kills, 175 Sierra Por-Hunter, 2850 fps. Had no need for factory.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/24/17
Slightly off topic, but I have heard that 9X57MM was very popular in Africa for many years.
Posted By: PS1080 Re: 8mm Mauser in Africa - 09/24/17
I have used the 8x57 with 200gr partitions for two trips to Namibia. Species taken were jackals, warthog, springbok, red hartebeast, blue wildebeest, kudu and Oryx. Both families I hunt with use 8x57s. I did see ammo at the gun store in windhoek. My rifle is a sporterized WW2 mauser I paid $225 for and I have a fixed power Leupold I bought used here at the fire on it. This will be the rifle I take when I go back. The 200gr partition at 2600fps is impressive.
© 24hourcampfire