Home
Posted By: colorado bob passport - 03/15/18
My passport expires in September. I'm headed over to South Africa in the middle of August. I'm thinking of using it as is & renew it when I get back. Or would you renew it now?
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: passport - 03/15/18
You should never travel on a passport with less than 6 months left on it. Many countries will not issue visas with less than 6 months left. You never know what will happen when you travel. Get a new one and avoid any potential delays in your travels. NOTE: If you look at my handle, I got it from EXTENSIVE travel around the world, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about. Heck, I had to get a new passport after 8 years because they would not add any more pages and all in it were full.
Posted By: SuburbanHunter Re: passport - 03/15/18
I went to Ecuador last year to check out retirement options. I gave me a very hard time because my passport was due to expire in 7 months.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: passport - 03/15/18
Thanks---That's why I'm asking. Only time I've used it was on a South African trip. Bob
Posted By: Bighorn Re: passport - 03/15/18
What travelingman said, Plus- start the process now.
Posted By: BMD Re: passport - 03/15/18
It has to be good for 6 months from your return date.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: passport - 03/16/18
Get it done Bob. It is a controllable factor of your trip that will take very little effort, to get rid of a lot of unnecessary stress.

Personally, I thought it had to be valid for 3 months after your return date, but it might be different for different countries, or I might just be completely off the ball.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: passport - 03/16/18
now
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: passport - 03/16/18
Get it renewed now.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: passport - 03/16/18
Originally Posted by BMD
It has to be good for 6 months from your return date.
This they won't even let you board the plane with a passport that expires less than 6 months from time of return
Bob get it renewed now!
Posted By: wesheltonj Re: passport - 03/16/18
What everyone else said, NOW!
Posted By: RinB Re: passport - 03/18/18
ASAP
Pay the priority fee if that is still an option
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: passport - 03/19/18
And get the passport card, too!

While it does not suffice as a passport, it sure makes getting a replacement easier if something happens and you need to verify your citizenship and identity.

Ed
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: passport - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

While it does not suffice as a passport, it sure makes getting a replacement easier if something happens and you need to verify your citizenship and identity.

Ed

The passport card does (or used to) suffice for both Canada and Mexico. My wife decided she wasn't going anywhere but those two countries so just opted for the card. I got the passport, which I used for So. Africa. I'm going to have to renew in the next couple of years again.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: passport - 03/19/18
I just had mine done without the priority fee. It took about 2 weeks.
Posted By: southpawhunter Re: passport - 03/19/18
Originally Posted by kid0917
I just had mine done without the priority fee. It took about 2 weeks.

Same here
Posted By: JGRaider Re: passport - 03/19/18
did you guys take the picture yourself, or go somewhere, or what? I'm assuming you guys renewed by mail.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: passport - 03/19/18
I went to Walgreen's for my photo. It took just a few minutes. $15

I just mailed my renewal in today. We'll see how long it takes.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: passport - 03/19/18
Some Post Offices are set up for the passport process. I need to renew mine soon and found a local p.o. that even takes the picture. I think you do need to go the gov site and print off the appropriate forms first though.

Link to site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/forms.html
Posted By: southpawhunter Re: passport - 03/19/18
My local post office to get the picture and send it priority mail. I filled out the form on line and printed it before going to post office.
Posted By: EdM Re: passport - 03/20/18
This was a good reminder as I am heading to Steve Turner's office tomorrow to land on Namibia travel coming June and Burkina Faso travel come February 2019. The company used to remind me. Now retired I need to manage. My passport is good to 2020.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: passport - 03/20/18
Did paper work at township office on February 28 received new Pass Port book March 9, received card March 12....
Posted By: Sevens Re: passport - 03/21/18
Renew by mail. It’s quick and painless. Think I had my replacement in 3 weeks when I did it a couple years ago.
Posted By: MAH1977 Re: passport - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

The passport card does (or used to) suffice for both Canada and Mexico. My wife decided she wasn't going anywhere but those two countries so just opted for the card. I got the passport, which I used for So. Africa. I'm going to have to renew in the next couple of years again.

One thing to keep in mind is the passport card is not good for air travel, so it only works for driving and cruises to those locations.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: passport - 04/05/18
I got my passport in today's mail. I sent in the renewal on 3/19----I got it back this morning 4/5. That's what 18 days, pretty fast turn around. Just used regular mail. Bob
© 24hourcampfire