Home
Posted By: hatari 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
Starting to gather my kit. Range time tomorrow.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
I know that you know, that I know you SUCK!!!!!

What I don't know is if you know, that I know that you know your own self SUCKS??????
Posted By: fgold767 Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
uh, I would guess therefore that you really and truly

SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore

GFY!!!!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
Cats on the menu I presume...
Posted By: McCray Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
Oh we need to know more!

Who with and what for?
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
Originally Posted by ingwe

Not this trip (unfortunately). I want to bag another of your namesake, this time a "Big Tom". Does that describe you still? wink
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/04/18
Originally Posted by McCray
Oh we need to know more!

Who with and what for?

With my friend of many years Johnny DuPlooy and Muchinga Safaris. Cramming 14 days in before my son starts school. Damn I hate they start in early August here.

Had my son read Capstick, now hes scared [bleep]-less some Black Mamba will crawl into his hut or the lion will get him. smile
Buffalo, hippo, Cookson's wildebeest all on the menu.
Posted By: McCray Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/05/18
Duplooy and Muchinga have a great reputation! I bet you'll have a great trip!

We're headed over in September with Alister Norton for leopard, roan, buff, etc.

Zambia is a very special place!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/05/18
Hope you have a great trip Jeff.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/11/18
Outstanding! Have a great trip, Jeff.
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/15/18
10 days!

Pile of gear is growing on my bedroom floor
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/15/18
You suck!

Have fun and take lots of pictures.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You suck!

Ah, I'm starting to feel the love... wink

Did my last range trip. 9.3 x 62 is dialed in 2" high at 100. Always a winnig set up. 56grn of IMR 4895 and 250grn TSX.
My douyble for this trip is a custom made one of a kind .450#2 NE with interchangeable 20g shotgun barrels. Yes, O/U built on a Ruger Red Label frame.

I've hunted with the NE barrels a number of times but never shot the 20g barrels. Finnaly went last week to shoot some skeet. Missed first 6 birds do to low mount. Got it straighted out and hit 20/24 next round. That's good for me with any gun. I shoot skeet about twice a year before quial season.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/15/18
do you turn the O/U sideways, like a gangsta?? enjoy your trip! we want reports when able!
Originally Posted by kid0917
do you turn the O/U sideways, like a gangsta?? enjoy your trip! we want reports when able!

only if I'm on my back getting trampled......
Folks at Gracey Travel are a BIG help. I went to South Africa every year back when, and you showed up and the efficient and helpful authorities would issue you a gun permit on the spot, without the need for bribes and your luggage didn't get ransacked and your stuff looted. I guess that was before South Africa became RSA and they had not joined "Africa," per se.

Heard too many stories from hunters who were not met in J'burg and had to go to a private room and cough up a $200± "special fee" to get their guns released. Worth to do the meet and greet. Staying at Air 2000. This letter of invitation is a new thing not needed "way back in the 20th Century. I was younger then and more patient. Before kids. Kids will do that to you... wink
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/18/18
Sounds like a great trip!!! Enjoy your time with your son and best of luck!!!!!

T.S.

BTW, I don't think you suck at all. LOL
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/19/18
5 days and a wake up until departure.

Where did I put my camera? Where is the extra battery and SD card? Where are my damn flashlights? All current things I'm shout around the house.

Got word the low in camp was 4C last week. WTF? Zambia ? Yeah, happened to me last time in July. Froze my cojones first thing in the morning ride. Brrrr!
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/19/18
You suck.
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/19/18
OMG! Just got an update from the outfitter that temps in southern Africa have plummeted. 0ºC in Jobert and as low as 3ºc in Luangwa. Unreal.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/19/18
It'll warm back up before you get there...
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/21/18
Down to 2 days and a wake up. Got the prelinary packing done. SAP permit approved to overnight in J'berg. Got a couple of paperbacks for the plane INCLUDING: Jim Corbet, compliments of our own INGWE (who sent it to Hatari Jr. to further his education and appreciation for the classics!)
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/22/18
Originally Posted by hatari
Down to 2 days and a wake up. Got the prelinary packing done. SAP permit approved to overnight in J'berg. Got a couple of paperbacks for the plane INCLUDING: Jim Corbet, compliments of our own INGWE (who sent it to Hatari Jr. to further his education and appreciation for the classics!)

Corbett is damn good reading!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/22/18

Ingwe's a good egg for sure. I hope you have the time of your life Jeff.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/22/18
hat, Best of luck on your trip of a lifetime...😎
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18
A bump reminder that TODAY is HATARI TURBO-SUCKAGE DAY. He departs for the Luangwa Valley in Zambia.. Does he SUCK or what? Can I get an "amen", please!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18
"AMEN" X sukitude to the tenth power !
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18
Originally Posted by jorgeI
A bump reminder that TODAY is HATARI TURBO-SUCKAGE DAY. He departs for the Luangwa Valley in Zambia.. Does he SUCK or what? Can I get an "amen", please!

Dang, with friends like this...... wink

Packed and stacked. Flight out at 20:00.
Working a 1/2 day. (I am so unmotivated,,,!!!)
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18

Not this trip (unfortunately). I want to bag another of your namesake, this time a "Big Tom". Does that describe you still? wink

Not near as big after losing 90 pounds....no cats this time?

How about buffalo, sable, or roan?

And oh yeah, you suck.
Posted By: CRS Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18
Have a great trip, and yeah, you suck.

Already trying to figure out how/when to go back after leopard. There are worse habits to be engaged in.

Not near as big after losing 90 pounds....no cats this time?

How about buffalo, sable, or roan?

And oh yeah, you suck.

He's doing buffalo I'm pretty sure and he already has the other two. But he still sucks..
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/24/18
No cats this time. Buffalo, Cookson's wildebeest are the top two. I want to grab a bushbuck, and if a good sized southern kudud appears it will be mine. Hippo is possibility. Hatari Jr. will grab puku, impala, and whatever else.

I looking forward to doing one other thing, that might not seem flashy to most, but something I've want to do for years. As I put in another thread, I had a duoble made with 2 barrels - .450 #2 NE and 20 g. I've junted with the NE barrels but never have taken the 20g to Africa, or anywhere else to get some bird shooting in. This time, I'm going to give it a try, Figure what a nice way to finish off a day in bush shooting sand grouse or doves over a water hole or at the river as the sun drops.
Figure what a nice way to finish off a day in bush shooting sand grouse or doves over a water hole or at the river as the sun drops.

If he would have added "over Sundowners" he would SUCK even more,....We expect LOTS of pics, Jeff!
Posted By: wageslave Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/25/18
Enjoy.
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/25/18
Overnighting in Jberg, so have WiFi.
Delta Comfort is great! Plenary of leg room even for me.
A+ to Gracey Travel so far. Meet and greet and firearms clearance all smoothly.

Time for some food and a big glass of good Stellenbosch Red 🍷
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/25/18
Staying at City Lodge. Attached to airport. Built for World Cup 2010, accommodations are good.

Off the subject, the “faces” of South Africa have certainly changed in the 30 years since I first came here. This was the land of blonde girls and 6’4 policemen back then. I haven’t seen a Caucasian yet working or in authority .

While I’m at, flight attendants sure have changed. There wasn’t one on my Delta flight under 60- I’m not kidding. Menopause left one of them grumpy as hell.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/25/18
Not only is the man in friggin; AFRICA, but he rubs it in... As to the "Stews" thank the democrats and the femenazis. Just like in the military, no standards...
Posted By: agazain Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/25/18
Glad you got to go.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/30/18
Guys, just an update, Hatari and his son are "tearing it up" over there. I'll not steal his thunder, but he's got some great trophies in the salt already! YEAH, HE SUCKS...
Posted By: ingwe Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/30/18
Guys, just an update, Hatari and his son are "tearing it up" over there. I'll not steal his thunder, but he's got some great trophies in the salt already! YEAH, HE SUCKS...

That bastid!
Posted By: CRS Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 07/30/18
Absolutely fantastic, hope they keep tearing it up.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/03/18
Rumors of lion on bait and a firefight with a hippo...
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/03/18

That bastid!

You can say that again........
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/07/18
OK you bunch of ornery bastids, I'm back! Fantastic trip, and cannot say enough superlative things about the huge concession, diversity of game, and numbers. Rather than start with "I boarded the plane in ATL and flew for 30 days and 30 nights (it seemed)". Let's get right to it.

About the third evening, I was sitting around the fire having a cold one, and overlooking the Luangwa River, from our camp up on a short bluff that faces the North Luangwa National Park side of the river. This is possibly the most picturesque setting I've ever hunted in Africa, with the camp nestled in the riverine thickets that run along the banks. Filled with hippos, and some big nasty crocs, the river bed there is probably 400 yards wide, but during this time of year, the water flow is down to a channel 4'-8' deep and 100 yards wide, with pools here and there.

I've known my PH, Johnny Duplooy since probably about 1992, when I first hunted with him. Our families have become friends and we see them annually during the convention season, so this is a relaxed safari among friends.

"Bwana, we are going to take your hippo proper tomorrow. None of this shoot from the bank. We are going to take our shoes off and wade right in water and take him on his territory. We'll see what that big double of yours can do." That set an interesting scenario, to say the least.

Next day, we drove along the river until we found some big bulls where the water narrows between two sandy flats, one on our side, and the other side of the water's edge is National Park land. No Permiso to shoot over there, and very bad mojo if you shoot and your wounded game happens to run to the far side. We sized up a good bull, and walked right out on the sandy flat to the water's edge. The hippos sunk down leaving only their eyes and ears above the water, giving us eat [bleep] and die looks and making threatening grunts in our general direction. Duplooy took off his shoes and rolled his pant legs up, obtained his Merkel double .470 from Davey his head tracker and told me "Let's go!"

I wear canvas jungle boots, so I kept my shoes on, loaded up my Yale .450 #2 with a pair of hot dog sized shells, soft nose on top and solid under, with 2 more solids locked between my ring and middle finger of my left hand for follow up, and 4 more on my belt. Meanwhile, Mrs. Hatari, Hatari Jr. viewed the events from the Land-cruiser perched on the bank. Johnny and I waded in, not 40 yards from the bull, who to me, was looking more like a locomotive than a mammal at this point. We eased in, and it didn't take much before he let us know we were encroaching on his space. The big bastid turned head on and picked his head up out of the water and took two and half quick steps right at me. I swung the double up, centering the gold bead of the front sight right between his eyes and started to take up the tension on the trigger went the hippo froze.

"Let's make him turn broadside". With that, Johnny took another step and I followed. The hippo lost his nerved and turned to my right exposing his shoulder as his body rose up out of the water. Boom! I cut loose with the 500 grain Woodleigh soft-point and hammered him right behind the shoulder. Both lungs pierced, a spray of blood erupted from both nostrils. Funny thing is, the bull kept going. Damn, these things are tough. Has he rose and fell pushing up a bow wave like a 16' Wellcraft powered by a 80hp Merc, I concentrated on his shoulder and let go with a 500 grain solid. Turns out my target concentration was perfect, but as the bull galloped, his shoulder submerged and I hit the water 3 yards before him. "Low Bwana. Keep shooting!" Johnny screamed. Quick reload and I got two more solids raking forward through he chest. Good shots, the bull flinched, but carried on leaving a wake of scarlet in the water behind him.

Not ready to go down, the damned thing exited the water on our side of the channel and started trotting down the beach. Wham! A solid right in his left hip made him squat, but he kept going. "Run after him! Don't let him back in the water to cross over". So we ran after him. Meanwhile, our audience up in the vehicle is laughing their butts off, initially at us, but then at the goings on across the river in the park. As Johnny and I were running after the bull, there was a vehicle over in the park from the Frankfort Conservatory observing all of this, that is until we started shooting. I'm pretty sure my second shot ricocheted off the water and whistled right past someone's ear, because they mounted their truck and burned rubber getting the hell outta Dodge. Johnny stuck two shots from his .470 in the hippo as I raked the bull again as it turned back into the water and toward the park. Those last two dropped him in his tracks, in about 2' of water, facing the park. The dust cloud from the Frankfort people hauling ass settled over us as the excitement hit its conclusion.

"That was fun, Bwana!" Johnny grinning ear to ear and calling his crew to bring some vehicles to pull this giant out of the water to be quartered and hung for lion bait. As an aside, we took the tail and had it made ossa buca style, and it was as tasty as anything I've had like it a fine Italian restaurant.

[Linked Image]

These things take some killing. Found my first softpoint and one solid. The soft point took out both lungs and the major plumbing that feds them. So my first shot was lethal, the hippo just didn't know it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/07/18
Great story, Jeff! We need more pictures! smile
Here you go. The Luangwa Valley is home to the Cookson's Wildebeest, in my opinion the most handsome of the homely wildebeest clan. Their brindled coat is a natural camouflage in the mopane forests of this area.

I find the Luangwa area very unique when I compare it to RSA, Zim, Tanz, Cameroon, or even other areas of Zambia I've hunted. First of all, the soil is not rocky. Very sandy nearly the river, and then that black cotton clay soil in the mopane stands. The mopane forests reminds me of a giant pecan grove, with the branching 30' tall hardwoods spaced 20'- 30' apart. They don't have nuts, but folks from the South know what a pecan grove looks like. Image miles of this, with little underbrush at all. Area is teaming with impala, waterbuck, puku, elephant, and wildebeest. The buffalo like the more open area near the sparse settlements where they feed on cotton and maize. This black cotton soil is slimy mess in the rainy season, bogging down any vehicle that dares to traverse, and then baking concrete hard in the sun of the dry season, pock market by foot deep elephant and hippo footprints that make walking over a patch of that similar to dodging craters on-the moon on a small scale. Ankle twister for sure. The river is lined with a riverine thicket that are favored by bushbuck and kudu, which were abundant, but no trophy male kudu was spotted. Duplooy has 3300± sq kms, with 70 kms of river front land in his concession. It is a big chunk of land.

Found this Cookson's in a semi open plain dotted with trees and drilled him with my trust 9.3 x 62 and a 250 grain TSX. that rifle is like a magic wand. Killing power defies the very manageable recoil. My 16 year old son had never shot it before this trip and went all Carlos Hathcock with it - one shot, one kill. I was very proud of the way he set up his shots and he excellent marksmanship. The little creep (will, 6' 1 is little these days) took great satisfaction in that most of his kills were bang-flops while mine would go 30 yards or so. That all came to a stop by the end of the hunt, but that's another story.

[Linked Image]
What are you going to do with the hippo? Tusk display, etc? The boy did shoot a dandy of a buffler, too!
Mount the hippo tusks. Considered bringing home the skull and putting a glass top on it for a table, but at some point, you run out of room at home.
Say, Jorge. Remember the cactus camo pattern shirts I picked up in Uvalde, Tx? I found those microfiber shirts and the camo was supurb for Africa.
My fears about cold were unfounded. First couple of days were very pleasant. Low 80's mid day, 50s at night. Then it warmed up to 90ºf+ midday and 60's at night.

[Linked Image]
I remember you buying those shirts!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/07/18
All right. Good job.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/07/18
This is just fantastic Jeff. Excellent job of putting us right into the action with you. Sounds like a phenomenal trip, all you expected and maybe even more? Even better the family was there with you. Thanks.
Posted By: hatari Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/08/18
I really enjoy hunting bushbuck, partly because they are more shy and secretive than other herd animals, prefer thickets, and are very attractive spiral horned antelope. They are not a cinch to get on any safari. I took one on my first trip to Zambia 25+ years ago, and it was a very nice Chobe with exceptional horns. Got the horns and cape back to the US and we discovered that the cape was ruined and could not be tanned. It seems there was a problem with the salt available in Zambia at that time in which it had a high mineral content of - if I recall correctly-magnesium which made the salted skin stiff and unworkable. That was a disappointment, but I figures "no sweat, I'll go back and get another sometime soon." Then I got married....and had kids....and went to other countries. I have been to Zambia since, but no bushbuck! This time, I wanted to correct that, and this area has a very healthy population of them tot he point were we would see at least one or two each day. Not all were trophies obviously, but they were around.

As mentioned before, this concession is very large. A 3 hour drive from came put us in an area a bit more open than the riverine thickets by the river or the mopane forests. More open plain dotted with trees, and even an area with volcanic rock and boiling hot springs, sulphur springs, and even palm trees and palmettos. It was there, standing in the shade of a tree we spotted this bushbuck. Right at 200 yards off sticks, the 9.3 dropped him on the spot. I will probably mount the better of the two sets of horns with the cape and have a hybrid of memories on the wall with this one.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This is just fantastic Jeff. Excellent job of putting us right into the action with you. Sounds like a phenomenal trip, all you expected and maybe even more? Even better the family was there with you. Thanks.

It was as enjoyable on a number of levels as any trip I've ever made. Obviously, hunting with a PH I've known for years that is a friend makes things comfortable, it makes the conversation easy, and the whole safari a relaxed affair for both sides. Expectations are known, personalities are known, and Johnny got to share his enthusiasm for this concession as we compared and contrasted it to other areas we've hunted.

For you: Note the Franklin batting gloves. smile
Great for protecting against the slight morning chill, picking through all the thorn brush, and thwarting the Tsetse.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/08/18
Full mount on the Bushbuck I hope!
Naw, although it would do it justice, full mounts like the bongo take up space rather quickly.
Bug Protection

I survived with hardly a nibble off my hide in an area with water and plenty of tsetse. Combo of
Deep Woods OFF - (DEET) really deterred the mosquitos and the tsetse.
Permethrin on the clothes
Long pants and long sleeve shirt (most of the time) I did go with shorts and a short sleeve shirt some hot afternoons. The sprays worked.
I wear baseball batting gloves for a number of reasons. First, keeps the tsetse from chomping on the backs of my hands. Got ate in Zambia the first trip years ago and in Cameroon the first time, and came up with this combo and it works. Gloves also protect the hands when you are filtering through the thorn bush AND even on the back of the vehicle when you are also deflecting low hanging branches from your face.

The one morning I forgot to spray the skin with DWO, I did get some bites. I did not forget after that!
My father used get a horrible reaction to Tsetse bites. He'd get nasty inflammation and localized swell tot he point where I'd sock him with some I.M. Benadryl to calm it down. Needless to say that was at night, he slept well. He was often too hard headed to spray and reapply after lunch and siesta, thereby becoming Hemingway's Moveable Feast for the little blood suckers.
Posted By: EdM Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/08/18
Nice bushbuck. They are a favorite of mine to hunt as well. Come February I will be hunting the harnessed bushbuck of Burkina Faso and they really do justify a full body mount.
Posted By: CRS Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/09/18
Fantastic trip!
Posted By: GRF Re: 20 Days to Zambia! - 08/10/18
thanks for the details and pictures. Looking forward to more.
© 24hourcampfire