Home
Posted By: EdM Namibia - 07/07/18
My wife and I returned from a fantastic 15 days in Namibia a few weeks ago. The trip was with Shona Hunting Adventures and it could not have been better. We spent time on photo safari in Etosha, hunting, with a Himba tribe, a cheetah reserve, in the Namib Desert on a "archaeological" journey via ATV and fishing off the Skeleton Coast. I highly recommend Johann and his team.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Nice NICE stuff Ed!

I'm glad it was all you hoped for!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Looks like fun was had. Glad you had a good trip. Nice Trophies.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Looks like a hell of a trip, congrats
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Let's hear about the rifle/scope/ammo combo. Also, where in Nam were you hunting?

Thanks, RS
Posted By: EdM Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Let's hear about the rifle/scope/ammo combo. Also, where in Nam were you hunting?

Thanks, RS

An FN Supreme 30-06, an old Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X and handloaded 168 gr TSX's. The first time I have hunted a 30-06 and, of course, it just worked. Below is where I hunted, 16,000 acres of beautiful unfenced property. Elephant, lion, leopard and, of course, cheetah roamed.

https://www.shona-adventures.com/conservation-hunting-shona-hunting-properties/
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Namibia - 07/07/18
Good deal Ed, I'm sure glad you found time to hunt, when I first read of your trip I was afraid it was going to be more about travel/photo safari type stuff, which would be pure torture for a hunter. smile
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Namibia - 07/08/18
I can't wait- leaving for Namibia Thursday.

Great photos, Ed.
Posted By: EdM Re: Namibia - 07/09/18
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good deal Ed, I'm sure glad you found time to hunt, when I first read of your trip I was afraid it was going to be more about travel/photo safari type stuff, which would be pure torture for a hunter. smile

Nope. While my wife is not a hunter she absolutely enjoys the hunt and was along side every trip out. She wants to head to the Caprivi next years (buff) and throw a houseboat trip on the Chobe for some fishing which she absolutely loves to do. Good girl I have.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I can't wait- leaving for Namibia Thursday.

Great photos, Ed.

I guarantee you will have the time of your life Dennis.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Namibia - 07/09/18
Seems like it was everything, and maybe more, than you thought it would be. Man I love Namibia! Congrats on a great adventure.
Forgot to mention that the kudu was a very old bull with molars gone and a snake bite festering. His horns were well worn as well. He needed to be taken out. My bullet exited through a bowling ball sized abscess from the bite. The meat was rotting from beneath. It smelled really bad even making the tracker gag.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Namibia - 07/09/18
Ed, thanks for the report. Been looking forward to seeing it. Looks like a great trip. Can you give us a little more information on the cheetah. Was it over bait? Not sure how they are hunted.

Posted By: Savuti Re: Namibia - 07/09/18
That's spelled Cheetah.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: Namibia - 07/10/18
Ed, awesome trip. Thanks for sharing! The venerable -06 can still get it done.
Posted By: Owl Re: Namibia - 07/10/18
Congrats ! Thanks for sharing the photos !

Jeff
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Namibia - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by EdM
My wife and I returned from a fantastic 15 days in Namibia a few weeks ago. The trip was with Shona Hunting Adventures and it could not have been better. We spent time on photo safari in Etosha, hunting, with a Himba tribe, a cheetah reserve, in the Namib Desert on a "archaeological" journey via ATV and fishing off the Skeleton Coast. I highly recommend Johann and his team.

[Linked Image]

Nice report, Ed! Near perfect bullet placement on that zebra, btw. Also, the story and photo of the abscess on the kudu is real interesting. I have to wonder if it would have ended up killing him. Fortunately, your incision-and-drainage-by-bullet saved him a long and agonizing death.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Namibia - 07/12/18
Thanks for the photos and story of your trip. The white slime looks bad. Thank goodness we can't smell it, I'm sure it was bad as you said.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Namibia - 07/12/18

[/quote]

Nice report, Ed! Near perfect bullet placement on that zebra, btw. Also, the story and photo of the abscess on the kudu is real interesting. I have to wonder if it would have ended up killing him. Fortunately, your incision-and-drainage-by-bullet saved him a long and agonizing death.
[/quote]

Touch low, your supposed to shoot them in the black stripes so it doesn't show on the rug. The Caprivi by boat should be fantastic especially with your own "African Queen" especially if she looks like Catherine Hepburn even a little bit.
Posted By: EdM Re: Namibia - 07/14/18
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Ed, thanks for the report. Been looking forward to seeing it. Looks like a great trip. Can you give us a little more information on the cheetah. Was it over bait? Not sure how they are hunted.

They do not do bait and rarely come to a call. So luck is involved and we found him under a tree while glassing for gemsbuck quite a ways off. We went after him to the area where we thought the tree was. Of course there were many trees and we had lost the original apparently but we eventually found tracks. Followed them for quite a while when my PH waived his hand and pointed. Not 35 yards away he lay under another tree in the grass facing away. I could only see his head and aimed low trying for the lower neck/spine which is where the bullet hit.
Posted By: EdM Re: Namibia - 07/14/18
Originally Posted by Tejano

[/quote]

Touch low, your supposed to shoot them in the black stripes so it doesn't show on the rug. The Caprivi by boat should be fantastic especially with your own "African Queen" especially if she looks like Catherine Hepburn even a little bit.
[/quote]

I was just trying to kill it now with a rug far from my mind.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Namibia - 07/14/18
Nice! Love the kudu!
© 24hourcampfire