Home
Posted By: EdM Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
Apparently things are getting a bit sporty on the east side of Burkina Faso so I was advised that the 2019 season has been cancelled with my outfitter. A bummer, though understandable. Now what to do...
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
I was there last January during the bombing in Ouga.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
Sorry to hear that Edm. Id visit SCI Reno ro Dallas and book somewhere else. Good luck
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
Tahr in New Zealand
Posted By: BrandonGleason Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
That's too bad. Who's the outfitter??
Posted By: ingwe Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
Sorry to hear this Ed. I was in Namibia in 1987 when things got 'sporty'....trust me, its best to leave them alone to their own devices " TIA".....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by EdM
Apparently things are getting a bit sporty on the east side of Burkina Faso so I was advised that the 2019 season has been cancelled with my outfitter. A bummer, though understandable. Now what to do...

Book a hunt with Phil, go hunt the giant brown bears with him, you've already got the rifle, that 416 would be perfect.
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/06/18
How about a Leopard?
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/06/18
Bummer. Good luck with whatever you choose as a replacement hunt. Be sure to post and let us know what you have decided to do.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by EdM

Book a hunt with Phil, go hunt the giant brown bears with him, you've already got the rifle, that 416 would be perfect.

Brown bear was on my "bucket list" and I did one in SE Alaska just after I retired. I was unsuccessful and clicked it off the list. We are working a NZ camping/hunting trip, something we never managed when we lived in Brisbane.
Posted By: 79S Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/06/18
I can't believe folks pay good money to go to [bleep] 3rd world countries? I thought I saw 3rd world chithole when I was in Iraq 2003, then the Army topped that when I went Afghanistan in 2009 now that was the cherry on the cake.. so more power to all of you, hope you find somewhere else to go.. you been to Argentina yet? I want go one of these days and do some wing shooting..
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/07/18
Sorry to hear about your hunt, Ed. I hope you can come up with something else.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/07/18
It's got to be pretty bad for the outfitter to cancel hunts. I know it's disappointing but it's just not worth the risk. There's plenty of outfitters elsewhere that will be happy to take your money.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/07/18
That's a bummer.
I hope you find a hunt to take it's place.
Wish you the best.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/09/18
Sorry to hear that, Ed.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/09/18
Originally Posted by 79S
I can't believe folks pay good money to go to [bleep] 3rd world countries? I thought I saw 3rd world chithole when I was in Iraq 2003, then the Army topped that when I went Afghanistan in 2009 now that was the cherry on the cake.. so more power to all of you, hope you find somewhere else to go.. you been to Argentina yet? I want go one of these days and do some wing shooting..

My first experience with a 3rd world country was Vietnam in 1969. I thought it was one big open air sewer. Lately I've heard that it is a prime vacation destination for today's yuppies.

Bummer about BF, in the past few years I've seen some good looking hunts there.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/10/18
buffybr,

Some of the people I know who've "vacationed" in Vietnam are veterans of the the war, including one who was an Army sniper who saw considerable action, and another who was involved in more than one close-range firefight. Both enjoyed their return.

On the other hand, I've had to cancel two booked Zimbabwe hunts, the first because 9/11/01 occurred during my first flight between Montana and Salt lake City, and the second because the PH (who grew up in what was then Rhodesia) decided it wasn't worth the risk during the chaos surrounding one of Mandela's "elections."
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/10/18
Appreciate the comments gents. Stuff like this happens so no worries. I am thinking of heading back to NE BC for goat, elk and moose. We'll see.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/10/18
Seen some hunting shows about Ethiopia and Uganda hunting over the last couple of years. Might be worth looking into.
Did a free range red stag hunt on horse back in Argentina several years ago and it was one of the best hunts Mrs Blacktailer and I have done.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/10/18
Originally Posted by EdM
Appreciate the comments gents. Stuff like this happens so no worries. I am thinking of heading back to NE BC for goat, elk and moose. We'll see.

Better safe then dead Ed.
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, Would seriously consider the BC goat hunt. I just ticked that one off my now short bucket list this past September. I had the good fortune to hunt with a great guide and outfit. Moose and mountain caribou are available in that area as well.

Apples and oranges re Africa, but an incomparable North American mountain hunt.
Posted By: erich Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/18/18
I got to go on a tiger hunt in Vietnam in 1968, used a M-14 and a TD-24(bull dozer) for transportation, closest thing I could find to an elephant and howda, never saw the tiger they said jumped the concertina wire. I did have a mine blow up on the blade and another go off under the dozer while trying to root the tiger out of some heavy cover, I think those made my butt pucker more than the tiger would have.

US Navy Seabee, Chulai 1968-1969
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/18/18
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, Would seriously consider the BC goat hunt. I just ticked that one off my now short bucket list this past September. I had the good fortune to hunt with a great guide and outfit. Moose and mountain caribou are available in that area as well.

Apples and oranges re Africa, but an incomparable North American mountain hunt.

Yep. I hunted with Stone Mountain Safaris outside Toad River in 2008 for elk, moose and mountain caribou. It was a great trip.
Posted By: The_Big_Game_Hunter Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/20/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Tahr in New Zealand

+1 for a tahr hunt. That's a heck of an adventure, particularly if you don't use a helicopter. Plus, you're not likely to run into security issues in New Zealand or have a hunt there cancelled due to a war or terrorist attack.
https://biggamehuntingadventures.com/tahr-hunting-new-zealand/
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by erich
I got to go on a tiger hunt in Vietnam in 1968, used a M-14 and a TD-24(bull dozer) for transportation, closest thing I could find to an elephant and howda, never saw the tiger they said jumped the concertina wire. I did have a mine blow up on the blade and another go off under the dozer while trying to root the tiger out of some heavy cover, I think those made my butt pucker more than the tiger would have.

Was that an over the counter tag or did you have to apply? 😁
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/26/18
Originally Posted by erich

Did you have a lot of animals stepping on mines over there?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/29/18
Originally Posted by EdM

Sounds like you might have quite the adventure planned. And you don't have too far to drive. laugh
Posted By: RinB Re: Hunt Cancelled - 11/30/18
Ed,
Have been reading everyone’s suggestions of how you should spend your money.
Reminds me of having some stranger select a wife for you.

Best to you,
Rick

Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/03/18
Sounds like more & more of Africa is getting pretty dicey. They really don't know how to organize & fight yet but sounds like its coming. We're already doing some fighting in North Africa, pretty soon we'll have troops trying to sort it out down in the southern end! Ed, good luck what ever you do. Are there any places a man can legally hunt Polar Bear?

Dick
Posted By: Rhettsker Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/03/18
I hunt Africa for a month every year and can tell you that the dangerousness is overblown by the media and others. Certainly, you need to take more precautions than a US hunt, but its very doable. In fact, most years I take my family and have no serious concerns. Having said that, who you hunt/safari with is critical in my opinion.
R
Posted By: erich Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/05/18
No I didn't get a tag, it was an all inclusive trip, meals, transportation, accommodations, entertainment, even all the firearms and ammunition was include. To say the least it was a memorable trip, something that will stay with me forever.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
I just received this below via email from my outfitter...

Dear All,

I do not come with good news! Last week our camp Arly Safaris, the first hunting concession and camp ever to be set up in Burkina over 30 years ago, was attacked and burnt by Muslim Jihadists! Since then they have also attacked a number of other hunting camps and burnt and destroyed them as well. In our camp fortunately no one was injured or killed, I am not sure about the other camps!

This is a huge setback for everyone, starting from you the client, without your support none of this would be possible, me the agent, the concession owner, the people who worked in these camps and depended on this income for their very survival, the poor villagers who depended on their share of the game meat (a third of all the meat by law goes to the surrounding villages) and finally all the animals, which will no doubt be gone forever if this situation continues!

Let us hope for the best and hope that things will turn around sooner than later. The concession owner is determined to rebuild and start again and has asked me to assure you that your deposits will be honored and you will be welcomed as the first clients to hunt there when it all reopens.

I am truly sorry for this situation and will be doing everything I can to bring this matter in to the spot light of the International hunting community and anyone else who cares! Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. I will be at SCI and DSC, if you are planning on attending either of these shows please stop by my booth numbers are below.

Wishing you and your families a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

Thanking you,

Kind Regards,

Arjun Reddy
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
Damn.....Glad you weren't there. Hope the locals can beat back the muslim horde.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Tahr in New Zealand

This
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
Originally Posted by EdM
I just received this below via email from my outfitter...

Dear All,

I do not come with good news! Last week our camp Arly Safaris, the first hunting concession and camp ever to be set up in Burkina over 30 years ago, was attacked and burnt by Muslim Jihadists! Since then they have also attacked a number of other hunting camps and burnt and destroyed them as well. In our camp fortunately no one was injured or killed, I am not sure about the other camps!

Herein the wisdom of Kipling:

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_copybook.htm
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
I spent over a year in Ouagadougou back in 2008/9. It was safe back then and the MJs were kept away by their military and support from other nations. There has been a regime change since I was there and not for the better either. It is one, if not the poorest, county in Africa. Good, nice people just doing what they can to survive. It is a shame.
Posted By: kingston Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
Crazy. I’m glad you weren’t there.
Posted By: Rhettsker Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
My comments about relative safety in South Africa have nothing to do with Burkina Faso and Northern Africa--that is a completely different ball game. Praying the best for all involved.
R
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/20/18
Got the word on the Arly hunting camp from a good friend who hunted from that camp this spring. Evidently he's feeling pretty lucky!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hunt Cancelled - 12/21/18
Originally Posted by EdM

Never even heard of Burkina Faso, and now that I have I doubt I would want to. However, I have been rabbit hunting hundreds of times, so I would suggest a bunny safari...
© 24hourcampfire